Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-09-2012, 21:45   #21
bac1023

I love the Ruger Mark series.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:33   #22
Cwlongshot

Sorry for the confusion.

When i said most established shooters or higher scoring shooters will have expensive European target guns, I was saying, no one uses the cheap model plinkers. It was a Poor choice of words and example. I should have said look at what newer shooters are using. The guys that choose the cheapest models quickly change to what we are suggesting. Ruger MK II/III, Buck Marks, Challangers or older used High Standards or S&W 41's. Again my choice of the Ruger over the others is first it's a good gun, second it is very well supported by the aftermarket. This means you will not need to sell it off to get a better gun! You can "upgrade" what you have saving $$!

The Ruger or Browning will serve you for a long time. LATER. In your shooting carrier you when you have the $$ or know its something you will do for a long time. will likely upgrade to one of the European pieces. When you reach the point you can out shoot your pistol, THEN you should look for a better gun. 90% of the shooters out there today will never reach that goal.

Practice and establishing the fundimentals to the point they are second nature will be your best "foundation". The fancier pistols will be better appreciated at that time.

Personally I don't even worry about groups for starters. I want the shooter to work on trigger control, sights and breathing. I also feel time spent with open sites first also builds a better foundation than going straight to a red dot.

Again sorry for the confusion in my previous post.

I'm happy to help. If you want or have a spec question PM me.

CW

Last edited by Cwlongshot; 05-10-2012 at 07:44..
Cwlongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 17:30   #23
58duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpet View Post
For under $300, simple answer - a S&W 22a-1. Accurate, very simple takedown, good trigger, adjustable sights, built-in rail and you'll have $50 leftover for ammo. It's one of the best bang-for-your-bucks firearms in the shooting world today. And from what I've seen the only difference between it and a S&W 41 is the shooter pulling the trigger.
i will agree . . . 100%

i shoot regular comp's against (2) other regulars who shoot Mark III's. i shot as well at 50 feet as they did - i had open sights and they had red dots. now that i installed my red dot, i can beat them more easily. we're all just about the same age (50). they have been shooting their whole lives - i've been shooting 14 months. (5 months with the S&W 22-A)

i would suggest looking into the S&W
Old 05-11-2012, 19:33   #24
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Why would they be out of stock?

I've never heard of this pistol so I looked it up, here.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...16&isFirearm=Y

CDNN does a lot of close out and overstock sales.

Just because they have a gun in stock today doesn't mean they will have it again.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 20:49   #25
ithaca_deerslayer

Got a chance to bench rest my 2206 today. Held it against a sandbag and fired 10 shots at 50 feet. Here are the two targets I did that with. CCI standard velocity. 1.5" group and 1.75" group. Nothing great, but it shows where me and this gun are.

So feel free to post pics showing me what I should be expecting to do at 50 feet with a better gun. Or a gun I can manage to shoot better I welcome any of your 50 ft target pics!

Rimfire Forum

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 05-13-2012 at 20:55..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 21:00   #26
RedHaze
Handgunner

Now I gotta get out and shoot some groups!
Old 05-14-2012, 05:46   #27
Cwlongshot

Quote:
So feel free to post pics showing me what I should be expecting to do at 50 feet with a better gun. Or a gun I can manage to shoot better I welcome any of your 50 ft target pics!

Rimfire Forum

This is a open sited Ruger MKIII.

Rimfire Forum

This is a benched site in with this same Benelli

Rimfire Forum

This last Monday was the season opener for one of our local three gun opener. This year my wife and I are going to shoot rimfire only. These are "900" matches my first was 92/98/100 10x My second was 98/98/97 13x my NM course was 89/98/97 7x for a total 867 30x. I'm shooting a Benelly MP90 with a Aimpoint dot.

Here is a couple match set targets both 50' and 25 yards

Rimfire Forum

CW

Last edited by Cwlongshot; 05-14-2012 at 06:37.. Reason: Added pics
Old 05-14-2012, 05:47   #28
Cwlongshot

Duplicate... CW

Last edited by Cwlongshot; 05-14-2012 at 05:58..
Old 05-14-2012, 08:00   #29
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwlongshot View Post
Rimfire Forum

This is a benched site in with this same Benelli

Rimfire Forum
Love it! We should see more pics like this on the internet

No sarcasm. You think I can see that at my local gun club? Um, no. That's some darn good shooting.

So the bottom pic is a benched sight in. Is the top pic a one-handed slow fire at the timed pace? I think that's what you are showing me, but I just want to make sure. Do you often shoot like that, or was this 100 10x a once in a lifetime perfect score for you?

I am seriously impressed. Ok, so now I've definitely got to get a gun I can 10x with at the bench. I know I'm capable of that with the right gun. Might take a year to get it, but it will be worth the wait.

Then I'll have something to work on my one handed shooting with

Thanks!

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 05-14-2012 at 08:01..
Old 05-14-2012, 09:48   #30
Cwlongshot

My best targets to date have been a 98 In doors and 99/3x outdoors, slow fire and 100 9x timed outdoors. I have shot a hundred +- "100" targets never a 10x 100. I have seen them along with 100 slow fires just not shot one my self.

Earlier this year I shot a 900 match and never shot more than a "9" ring hit.
I have been shooting NRA bullseye since the late 1980's and teaching handgun compatancity since early '90's. Around about '96 I got my wife involved with Bullseye. In training her I began listening to my own teachings. My scores made about a 5pt jump into the high 270's and have been steady rising ever since. Last season my indoor average was about 286. (We don't count "X"'s at 50')

Practice, practice, practice! Breath hold it, let a lil out, watch that front site, squeeze!!!

CW

Last edited by Cwlongshot; 05-14-2012 at 10:15..
Old 05-14-2012, 10:24   #31
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwlongshot View Post
My best targets to date have been a 98 In doors and 99/3x outdoors, slow fire and 100 9x timed outdoors. I have shot a hundred +- "100" targets never a 10x 100. I have seen them along with 100 slow fires just not shot one my self.

Earlier this year I shot a 900 match and never shot more than a "9" ring hit.
I have been shooting NRA bullseye since the late 1980's and teaching handgun compatancity since early '90's. Around about '96 I got my wife involved with Bullseye. In training her I began listening to my own teachings. My scores made about a 5pt jump into the high 270's and have been steady rising ever since. Last season my indoor average was about 286. (We don't count "X"'s at 50')

Practice, practice, practice! Breath hold it, let a lil out, watch that front site, squeeze!!!

CW
So what is that top pic target from? And what is the score on it? Looks to me like all 10 breaking the X ring. So I would have thought a 100 with 10 X's.

Don't you count X's for a tie break? That's how I've seen it done, indoors, 50ft. Two guys tied, and they count X's to see who won. But maybe that was just a local variation of the rules, I don't know.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 13:52   #32
Cwlongshot

You are correct that is a 100/10x but I did not shoot it in a match. I don't count these as "real" scores.

You are also correct counting "X" is for score breaking in NRA rules. When I shoot in this one league we modify NRA rules for the shooter to try to improve #'s. we use highest rapid as tie breaker. If that's the same highest timed etc...

CW