First AR Advice
I'm going to be getting an AR in the future, but before I did I figured I should hear from those that have been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. I am going to spend between $1000 and $1400 on it. I would prefer not to "build" one from the ground up but mod it as necessary. I'd like for it to shoot 5.56mm and .223 if possible (I think that's possible at least, a buddy of mine at work can shoot both out of his S&W M&P AR). It's main purpose will be for plinking but I am thinking of trying out a couple of three gun competitions. Here are the questions:
1) Given my price range, are there any brands and/or models you think would be reliable?
2) What is the difference between an Aimpoint and an EO Tech optic (function and price)?
3) What do I need to watch out for in the buying process (when I am checking the gun at my LGS)?
4) What is the difference between the different cycling systems? (I hope I'm asking that right...I hear there are different kinds of gas systems and some are better than others.)
5) Any other things I should know?
Thanks for the advice for a newbie!