GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:56   #1
Coffee Dog

In .357 sig is velocity the key to incapacitation?

Hi, Mas!
Is velocity in .357 sig the key to incapacitation?
In Evan Marshall's book-Stopping Power they state that the only .357 sig ammo that completly duplicates the 357 magum 125 gr. wound channel is Corbon's .357 sig 125 gr.

Caliber: 357 Sig
Bullet Wt.: 125gr CORBON Self-Defense JHP
Velocity: 1425fps
Energy: 564ftlbs
Test Barrel Length: 4.0 Inches

I remember that you mentioned that Virginia State police are using Speer Gold Dot 125 gr. and getting very good results with this ammo!

In your opinion wouldn't more velocity such as Corbon (1425fps) give the shooter a little edge in incapacitation as when compared to 1350fps in Gold Dot!

I know that law enforcement like the Gold Dot because it goes thru barriors but the 357 magum made its legendary status on ammo that fragmented.

For frontal situations I would think that the home owner would want an ammo that fragmented!

What do you think about Corbon's 357sig ammo and does
velocity matter in 357 sig ammo with regards to incapacitation?

Thank-You-Mas.
Mike-Semper Fi to my wife!
Coffee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 20:26   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Velocity is a big part of it, Eagle, but so is bullet configuration. I was skeptical about the .357 SIG for many years. The paper ballistics sounded good, but the wound profile in ballistic gelatin was distinctly longer and narrower than that of the 125 grain .357 Magnum full power SJHPs.

My concerns were answered positively after shooting upon shooting piled up over the years in places like Virginia and Texas. The 125 grain .357 SIG bullets generally stayed in the bodies or the clothing on the opposite side, and the bad guys went down just as fast as they had with the old Magnum loads.

Different loads, different wound profiles, similar outcomes. And the .357 SIG seems to give somewhat better tactical penetration, and certainly is much easier to shoot.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:48   #3
Coffee Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas Ayoob View Post
Velocity is a big part of it, Eagle, but so is bullet configuration. I was skeptical about the .357 SIG for many years. The paper ballistics sounded good, but the wound profile in ballistic gelatin was distinctly longer and narrower than that of the 125 grain .357 Magnum full power SJHPs.

My concerns were answered positively after shooting upon shooting piled up over the years in places like Virginia and Texas. The 125 grain .357 SIG bullets generally stayed in the bodies or the clothing on the opposite side, and the bad guys went down just as fast as they had with the old Magnum loads.

Different loads, different wound profiles, similar outcomes. And the .357 SIG seems to give somewhat better tactical penetration, and certainly is much easier to shoot.

best,
Mas
Thank-You Bro for your information!
Coffee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote