Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 20:26   #61
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleaforwar View Post
Again, this side discussion is taking away from the original intent.

Mr. Courtney, I apologize for adding fuel to the fire.

Cheers,
Dan
I accept your apology. I apologize for not having a well thought out way to explain our policies. Ours is a customer service business and we should have well thought out ways to explain policies to potential clients. I will not make this mistake again. Dan, you have made me better at my job and I thank-you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 05-24-2012, 20:27   #62
Airhasz

OP, very cool you are posting this test here. Hope you have thick skin for the b ll s hit you are encountering.
Old 05-24-2012, 20:34   #63
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney View Post
I accept your apology. I apologize for not having a well thought out way to explain our policies. Ours is a customer service business and we should have well thought out ways to explain policies to potential clients. I will not make this mistake again. Dan, you have made me better at my job and I thank-you.
Glad to see you could admit to it, too.
Old 05-24-2012, 20:45   #64
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Did you read anything other than the subject line of the thread?

Good to hear they are on the way.

By the way, my bottle of EWL (arrived today thanks to BCM) lists that it helps prevent corrosion, as well.
I sent out a brief survey about the stuff to a couple of dozen instructors who we've worked with recently to see who has experience with it and how it has worked for them. If it gets my team back to only one bottle to work from, they will jump on it, except for one guy who is meticulous about everything. He has 3 different products for every gun he owns, which is why he doesn't teach gun cleaning. He confuses the heck outta people unless he has a program and three flow charts. We'll be able to save the corrosion x for the bullet traps and the mobile 1 for the lawn mowers.

If I get good reports back about the Slip 2000, it'll get one last test before it gets the nod. It'll go on my carry guns for the acid test. If it keeps my stainless kimber and my melonited XDM from rusting while I sweat on them for two weeks, we'll use it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 05-24-2012, 20:59   #65
Apprentice

Great idea. Regarding lube, my vote is stick with the Mobil 1. Probably more shooters using that than the purpose built blends. You're in good company. Ken Hackathorn was promoting it in a class back in Dec. I switched to it for all uses over 10 years ago and it's worked great.

I wouldn't be surprised if the two guns will perform nearly identically.
Who change the plain meaning of words/
Myanmar-Shave.. (Haakon Dahl)
Old 05-24-2012, 21:02   #66
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
I sent out a brief survey about the stuff to a couple of dozen instructors who we've worked with recently to see who has experience with it and how it has worked for them. If it gets my team back to only one bottle to work from, they will jump on it, except for one guy who is meticulous about everything. He has 3 different products for every gun he owns, which is why he doesn't teach gun cleaning. He confuses the heck outta people unless he has a program and three flow charts. We'll be able to save the corrosion x for the bullet traps and the mobile 1 for the lawn mowers.

If I get good reports back about the Slip 2000, it'll get one last test before it gets the nod. It'll go on my carry guns for the acid test. If it keeps my stainless kimber and my melonited XDM from rusting while I sweat on them for two weeks, we'll use it.
Until my BCM order arrived today, I had been using SLIP 2k gun lube and automotive white lithium grease exclusively for lube for several months. The only rust I remember seeing on any of my firearms was a bit of rust and grime in the lettering of my P7's markings. Since the slide is carbon steel, I doubt there's much I can do to totally prevent that in the typical NW Florida humidity. On all of the working bits, though, it's been fantastic.
Old 05-24-2012, 21:03   #67
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Uh, where can I buy the Slip 2000 EWL in a retail store? WalMart, Academy, Dicks, Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas?

Old 05-24-2012, 21:07   #68
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Uh, where can I buy the Slip 2000 EWL in a retail store? WalMart, Academy, Dicks, Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas?
I got my bottle of gun lube from a gear shop just off Fort Bragg last summer. I don't know of any chain stores that sell it, but plenty of high end gear/weapon small businesses seem to. Either that, or order directly from SLIP themselves. For your use, that's the route I would go, since they sell large (16oz and 1 gallon) bottles directly through their website.
Old 05-24-2012, 21:16   #69
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprentice View Post
Great idea. Regarding lube, my vote is stick with the Mobil 1. Probably more shooters using that than the purpose built blends. You're in good company. Ken Hackathorn was promoting it in a class back in Dec. I switched to it for all uses over 10 years ago and it's worked great.

I wouldn't be surprised if the two guns will perform nearly identically.
Corrosion X is the only thing I have ever tried that has prevented rust on everything, even flintlocks that use real blackpowder. The added benefit is that trace amounts will not foul powder or primers the way oils do. I was planning to do a wear test on Remington 1100's during duck season to see how corrosion x worked as a lube. Since wear tests have been done with Slip2000, I will do a simpler corrosion test with it first. Anybody know if powder and primers are easily fouled with Slip2000 EWL. It is a critical issue with Flintlocks.

Old 05-24-2012, 21:19   #70
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Corrosion X is the only thing I have ever tried that has prevented rust on everything, even flintlocks that use real blackpowder. The added benefit is that trace amounts will not foul powder or primers the way oils do. I was planning to do a wear test on Remington 1100's during duck season to see how corrosion x worked as a lube. Since wear tests have been done with Slip2000, I will do a simpler corrosion test with it first. Anybody know if powder and primers are easily fouled with Slip2000 EWL. It is a critical issue with Flintlocks.
No idea with anything black powder, unfortunately.
Old 05-24-2012, 21:24   #71
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
I got my bottle of gun lube from a gear shop just off Fort Bragg last summer. I don't know of any chain stores that sell it, but plenty of high end gear/weapon small businesses seem to. Either that, or order directly from SLIP themselves. For your use, that's the route I would go, since they sell large (16oz and 1 gallon) bottles directly through their website.
If we switch to it, I'll buy a gallon mail order, but students often want to know where to get whatever it is we use, so being familiar with multiple sources is handy. If the stuff really is "all that and a bag of chips", maybe we'll get 1/2 ounce squeeze bottless to give out samples and get a local dealer to stock it. We are always trying ways to pay our blessings forward.
Plus, if students remember us everytime they go shooting, they will be more likely to tell their buddies about us. Little bottles of Slip2000 EWL with a Louisiana Shooters Unlimited label/LGS label. Could be a win, win, win.

Last edited by Matthew Courtney; 05-24-2012 at 21:36..
Old 05-24-2012, 21:28   #72
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
If we switch to it, I'll buy a gallon mail order, but students often want to know where to get whatever it is we use, so being familiar with multiple sources is handy. If the stuff really is "all that and a bag of chips", maybe we'll get 1/2 ounce squeeze bottless to give out samples and get a local dealer to stock it. We are always trying ways to pay our blessings forward.
Not a bad idea. I'm pretty darn sure that the company that makes SLIP has a dealers program, too, so you might want to check into it. From that point, you could either sell it yourself, or have that info ready to share with any local shops.
Old 05-29-2012, 14:23   #73
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

One rifle is at my dealer. The other should be in tomorrow. We will do the initial function testing and break in with Iron sights, then an accuracy check with a Leupold mark 3 3.5-10 x 50 and several types of ammo. As rentals for our carbine course, students will be able to put Aimpoint Micro's, Bushnell Holosights, or a Leupold VX 3 1.5-5 illuminated on them. Every 4000 rounds or so, we'll put the 3.5-10 back on 'em for another accuracy review.

Suggestions?

Old 05-29-2012, 17:23   #74
m814

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
Slip 2000 is "neat" for sure, but I'm gonna second a mix of mobil 1 and ATF working just fine.

Hopefully this thread will last long enough to see the results of the test.
Been using this since the late 90's. Tried some of the wonderlubes. No problems with most, I like Weaponshield a lot. It smells good. I always go back to Mobile 1 with just enough Dexron III to give a reddish tint, and a little Marvel Mystery oil for a good smell, if you want. It works as good as anything I have ever seen and is indescribably more economical.

BTW, I have a small bottle of Slip2K EWL. While it is as good as my mix, it is no better, and much more expensive.

Last edited by m814; 05-29-2012 at 17:26..
Old 05-29-2012, 19:37   #75
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

Subscribed.

I don't care a whit what you lube the guns with as long as both rifles are cleaned & lubed in similar manners, and at similar intervals.

To the OP, thank you for starting this tread. I appreciate it very much.
Old 05-29-2012, 19:44   #76
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
One rifle is at my dealer. The other should be in tomorrow. We will do the initial function testing and break in with Iron sights, then an accuracy check with a Leupold mark 3 3.5-10 x 50 and several types of ammo. As rentals for our carbine course, students will be able to put Aimpoint Micro's, Bushnell Holosights, or a Leupold VX 3 1.5-5 illuminated on them. Every 4000 rounds or so, we'll put the 3.5-10 back on 'em for another accuracy review.

Suggestions?
Sounds solid to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m814 View Post
Been using this since the late 90's. Tried some of the wonderlubes. No problems with most, I like Weaponshield a lot. It smells good. I always go back to Mobile 1 with just enough Dexron III to give a reddish tint, and a little Marvel Mystery oil for a good smell, if you want. It works as good as anything I have ever seen and is indescribably more economical.

BTW, I have a small bottle of Slip2K EWL. While it is as good as my mix, it is no better, and much more expensive.
A 4oz bottle of S2K has lasted me over a year at this point (of light to moderate shooting time), and I still have well over half a bottle. Between that bottle, and the new bottle of EWL, I have paid a grand total of $13 - and I won't need more for quite a while. It works exceptionally well, it doesn't stain my clothes, and I don't have to mix it myself. I call that a good deal.
Old 05-30-2012, 18:50   #77
1smoothredneck

INTERESTING.... I'll check back often..many thanx for thinking of us
Old 05-30-2012, 20:06   #78
FriscoCHL

Old 05-30-2012, 21:03   #79
vram74

Someone who purchased a Sport in another forum is reporting that his model didn't have m4 feed ramps, no staking on the castle nut and a commercial buffer tube. I'd be interested in whether or not yours comes the same way. My sport has the ramps, staking and mil tube, but I bought it last summer.

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/San...t-t120762.html
Old 05-30-2012, 21:13   #80
eyelikeglasses
Hooah, Hooah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vram74 View Post
Someone who purchased a Sport in another forum is reporting that his model didn't have m4 feed ramps, no staking on the castle nut and a commercial buffer tube. I'd be interested in whether or not yours comes the same way. My sport has the ramps, staking and mil tube, but I bought it last summer.

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/San...t-t120762.html
Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum
I bought mine today, just to refute the hater's on here. No one in the U.S. needs all the "MIL-spec" nonsense. The pictures above show the M4 feed ramps, and staking on the BCG. Their is chrome where it needs to be.
Anyone researching their 1st AR should get one. Don't let the bitter idiots, who over-spent, ruin an outstanding choice.

Closed Thread