Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:21   #1
mack0311

Leaving NY1 and going to stock 5.5 lb trigger

Mas, in about a month I will be graduating the police academy and on to FTO to pursue what I hope will be a rewarding, meaningful career. While I was qualifying at the range, our range master came down and changed out the NY1 trigger in our duty issued 23's to the stock 5.5 lb trigger and informed us that this was a department wide transition. Additionally I've seen a few other agencies in the area that use the 5.5 lb trigger as well. My question is what would compel a LE agency to lower the trigger weight of their duty guns? I'm not complaining(shot range high, 5.5lb trigger is much easier to master), just curious after everything I've read it would seem that the NY1 is a great legal barrier for LEO's. (Duty issue ammo is the 180 grain HST if you were curious).
I apologize if this is in the wrong place to post this thread, however I couldn't pass up a chance to have Mas Ayoob directly answer a question for me.
p.s. My agency also has a pretty high FTO fail out rate, so any advice on that front would be greatly appreciated.
mack0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:21   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Mack, welcome to Glock Talk, and good luck with your police career.

Different departments, and different administrations therein, differ on perceived trigger pull needs. The heavier trigger pull generally takes more training time to master than the lighter pull. Since Glock considers the standard 5.5 pound set-up to be safe, so do most law enforcement agencies. So, FWIW, do I.

As to your FTO time: Remember that you're there to learn from your Field Training Officer, not vice versa. Listen to what you're told, and implement it (they'll be watching closely for that). This part of your question would make an excellent thread in Cop Talk, where GT has an outstanding brain trust of veteran cops from all walks of law enforcement.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote