SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-04-2012, 22:49   #1
snake doc

Miami cannibal failure to stop

Hello Mas -

First post on GT. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.
Of course everyone is horrified by the recent Miami cannibal attack.
One thing that I noticed is the failure to initially stop the attack by the officer's first round, as widely reported:
"The officer, who has not been identified, approached and, seeing what was happening, also ordered the naked man to back away. When he continued the assault, the officer shot him, police sources said. The attacker failed to stop after being shot, forcing the officer to continue firing. Witnesses said they heard at least a half dozen shots."

I'm not sure what department the officer was with: Miami PD, Metro Dade, or another.

But do you know what duty load was used in this instance? It seems to have taken several rounds to end the attack.

Thank you!
snake doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:39   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Welcome to GT.

It's premature for me to comment on this without seeing the autopsy. The wound tracks are what determine stopping effect, and those have not yet been made public. At least for the first round, the officer was dealing with a "rescue shot" in which he would have had to place the bullet in such a way that its trajectory would be clear of the victim. That could make it extremely difficult for even a world champion marksman to place the bullet where it might effect an instant stop.

I'm told the officer was from City of Miami. Last I knew they had Glock .40s; I'm not up to speed on their current issue load. Suffice to say the officer obviously saved the victim's life, and got the job done in an extremely difficult situation.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duty ammunition, failure to stop, miami, miami cannibal