Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 05:54   #361
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Oh...the 300 yard range would be done with centerfires. There were several centerfire shooters there and some of us, such as myself, had a centerfire in the car that could have been brought up.

I intend to shoot a Rifleman's score with the .22 before bringing out the Garand, though. Even if that means I put a scope on to help see those tiny freaking bottom targets.

I just signed up for another next weekend. I will do both days this time, and I think I might put my 4x scope on the 10/22
My 10/22 is scoped and it rocks. You can hit a tennis ball at 100 yards. An AR15 with irons will keep you in the paint on the 100 yard range too. I'm envious of your learning to shoot rifles, it's a really fun time in life, enjoy it all you can.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
Old 06-03-2012, 11:00   #362
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneasyRider View Post
My 10/22 is scoped and it rocks. You can hit a tennis ball at 100 yards. An AR15 with irons will keep you in the paint on the 100 yard range too. I'm envious of your learning to shoot rifles, it's a really fun time in life, enjoy it all you can.
I wanted to bring my 10/22 with red dot, but ended up using my AR-15 with the EOTech. With irons, the AR actually is sighted for 200 meters, no? Not very familiar with the AR family, unfortunately, more familiar with the Mini-14/30 family.

But yeah, shooting rifles was more fun and fulfilling than standing there punching holes with a pistol for some reason.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:19   #363
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
I wanted to bring my 10/22 with red dot, but ended up using my AR-15 with the EOTech. With irons, the AR actually is sighted for 200 meters, no? Not very familiar with the AR family, unfortunately, more familiar with the Mini-14/30 family.

But yeah, shooting rifles was more fun and fulfilling than standing there punching holes with a pistol for some reason.
Sighting distance is up to you but the AR15 has a slight lift (an inch or two) during travel so sighting at 200 yards makes good sense to me. Also much more than 200 yards and you need to compensate for drop so I am dialed in at 200 yards.

I like red dots for quick aquisition but I like a real scope for for really accurate distance shooting myself. That said I have red dots on my AR15's.

It's great that we have all of the choices that we do.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
Old 06-03-2012, 12:31   #364
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
never done an appleseed shoot but as far as ar15 irons go, with the difference in sight height over the bore centerline, i zero mine in at 50 yards and then confirm its on again between 200 and 250. mine coms back on at 225-230 yards. that was with the federal xm193. need to reconfirm my new ammo choice though.
Old 06-03-2012, 15:30   #365
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneasyRider View Post
...I like red dots for quick aquisition but I like a real scope for for really accurate distance shooting myself...
Same here; I wanted my CAR-15's to be quick for close-in use, but at the same time knew they were capable of reaching out there several hundred yards, so I compromised and went to a compact 1-4X shotgun scope with very-good light gathering qualities and heavy duplex reticule. Left at 1X (zero magnification), the bright picture and bold reticule make them very fast to acquire, but the ability to zoom instantly to 4X makes them useable a lot farther out (for me at least) than a non-magnified red dot does.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 06-03-2012, 20:19   #366
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Same here; I wanted my CAR-15's to be quick for close-in use, but at the same time knew they were capable of reaching out there several hundred yards, so I compromised and went to a compact 1-4X shotgun scope with very-good light gathering qualities and heavy duplex reticule. Left at 1X (zero magnification), the bright picture and bold reticule make them very fast to acquire, but the ability to zoom instantly to 4X makes them useable a lot farther out (for me at least) than a non-magnified red dot does.
That sounds like a good way to do it Quake. Where I live it's hard to find a 200 yard shot if your not at a range or on a boat so my red dot works ok here.

Old 06-04-2012, 19:29   #367
wrenrj1

Got my titanium spork and water treatment pills from Amazon.com today...

Wren
Old 06-04-2012, 21:34   #368
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenrj1 View Post
Got my titanium spork and water treatment pills from Amazon.com today...

Wren
The spork...how do you like it?

We use sporks at the kiddie prison I work at. Ridiculously flimsy (on purpose for obvious reasons) But I could see how one with some integrity would be highly useful. Only gripe I have with sporks is when you try to stab something, the curvature of the spoon impedes your effort.

-Emt1581
Old 06-04-2012, 21:48   #369
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
Only gripe I have with sporks is when you try to stab something, the curvature of the spoon impedes your effort.

-Emt1581
But the curvature helps when you try to scoop out your victim's still beating heart out of his chest cavity.
Old 06-05-2012, 19:45   #370
jarubla
Dos Pistolas

Quote:

We use sporks at the kiddie prison I work at. Ridiculously flimsy (on purpose for obvious reasons) But I could see how one with some integrity would be highly useful. Only gripe I have with sporks is when you try to stab something, the curvature of the spoon impedes your effort.

-Emt1581
I've had a few of the 'light my fire' brand (but plastic) for 24+ months. They have survived through every day use by >3 and <10 humans. Don't believe the hype that the plastic ones are crap, I have been very pleased with mine!

On the preps side, I am doing more health related junk I have put off. This past week I have been going to the chiropractor; he found some cervical spine stuff he is going to get worked out (C3 and some others out of whack from an old 'yard sale' ski wreck I had the luck of performing right under the ski lift 7 years ago). Very hopeful that what he is adjusting will help resolve my neck issues!

I put some $ down @ a local funshop (Piazza's Pawn) on a layaway boomstick. Down to earth folks, easy layaway terms, I will be sending more $ their way!

Also picked up a few cool books:

"Food in Jars" ISBN 978-0-7624-4143-3 (tailored to preserving food in small batches, this is key as we rarely do bushel-at-a-time stuff)
"Girl Hunter" ISBN 978-0-7382-1466-5 (author was a hoity toity chef, left that as she became interested in harvesting/preparing her own game. Her exploits converted her to the hunter lifestyle)

-Jay

Last edited by jarubla; 06-05-2012 at 19:55..
Old 06-05-2012, 22:04   #371
The Shadow

Built a tactical 10/22 rifle for my wife, repaired my defective CETME, bought some .308 ammo, worked on restoring an old tube HAM transceiver.

Terry
Old 06-06-2012, 17:18   #372
owl6roll

Send a message via AIM to owl6roll
I'll qualify a couple of times with a new weapon and shoot a match or two and then It's good to go.
Old 06-06-2012, 18:31   #373
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6roll View Post
I'll qualify a couple of times with a new weapon and shoot a match or two and then It's good to go.
I think you might be in the wrong thread?
Old 06-06-2012, 19:16   #374
wrenrj1

Quote:

-Emt1581
The one I got was titanium. It has a serrated edge on the fork piece to use as a knife, but you gotta watch out when you eat. It's not seriously sharp, but just serrated. I mainly got it to use at work for lunch. I'm tired of using plastic forks. You do need to get used to using it though, as you are right with the stabbing of the carcass!

Wren
Old 06-08-2012, 05:20   #375
quake

Came across an almost crazy-good deal at gander mountain of all places. They had a used taurus 4" 82 (one of the old CAI imports), that had a problem. The hardened nub at the cartridge-rim end of the center-pin had been attached very slightly off-center; almost not enough to see really, but just enough that it would bind the centerpin and keep it from returning free to lock up in the faceplate recess. This meant the cylinder wouldn't lock closed and would flop open/closed completely free. May have been that way from the factory, or may have been worked on later; I couldn't say for certain, but the rifling, muzzle & forcing cone look completely wear-free, so I suspect it came that way from the factory 30+ years ago.

The nub problem was an easy fix, but they don't have a gunsmith on staff there anymore, and had written it off as 'bad', and kept marking it down to try & get rid of it. It'd been setting in the case for a long time evidently and I picked it up for $179. Fifteen minutes for cylinder disassembly & some very minor nub filing, and it works perfectly. Ran some rounds thru it the other night and was surprised to find that its muzzle velocity constantly runs 3%-6% faster than a same-length smith revolver, for 6-10% muzzle energy increase compared to the smith. Don't know if it's a slight difference in the bore diameter or rifling, or if it's simply due to the smith being a .357 and the increased bullet-jump inherent there; but with three different loads that was the case.

Regardless, $179 and fifteen minutes' work got us another second-tier gun that's completely reliable, and in a decent, commonly-available caliber that I already reload for. (Did have to buy new speedloaders though; haven't owned a k-frame in years.)

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by quake; 06-08-2012 at 05:22..
Old 06-08-2012, 06:56   #376
BR549
Thread Killer

quake,

Compare the brl-cyl gaps also.
Old 06-09-2012, 22:40   #377
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Shot Rifleman

Survival/Preparedness Forum

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 06-10-2012, 18:22   #378
jdavionic
NRA Member

Still focused on controlling expenses and reducing debt. So I have not acquired much. I did purchase a vacuum food sealer. That's about it though.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
Old 06-10-2012, 18:52   #379
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
added another 6 months of dog and cat food to the rotation, almost up to a year.

closed on the refinance of my home so i dont have a payment this month or next. those payments will be spent on home maintenance and repaint stuff. continuing my current payment keeps the financial preps more inline with what i like and will pay off the house in half the time.

also started a new job a little over a week ago, not sure if i posted those in here already or not.
Old 06-10-2012, 20:54   #380
RedHaze
Handgunner

Some of you may remember I mentioned we bought an '87 Suburban a while back for $800.

Just spent $12 on flat back Walmart brand spray paint. BAM.
Survival/Preparedness Forum

Up next is a couple new tires. The ones on the front are pretty low on tread.

And for those wondering, it's a USMC sticker on the rear quarter window.

Closed Thread