Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-05-2012, 22:30   #1
sa227driver
Trophy Husband

Difficulty Loading Mag into G30SF?

Mas,

I have a two year old Gen 3 G30SF with Pearce +0 mag extensions. the 10th round is pretty difficult to load; but the when I insert the mag, it seems that the swell of the mag is not locking the mag into the mag catch. However, with only 9 rounds loaded it seems to not be a problem. Any possible solutions?

"Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle"--Psalm 144:1
sa227driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:40   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

To get ten fat .45 ACP rounds into the small, finite space of a Glock 30 magazine, the designers had to pack things tight. There is no room left for flex, or "wink" in the springloaded cartridge stack.

That's why it's so hard to get the tenth round in there, and why you practically have to pound the magazine in when it's full up and the slide is forward.

My personal solution: loading the carry gun at leisure (what's called "administrative loading"), take your time. Lock slide back. Insert ten-round magazine, which should lock in without effort. Snap slide closed, chambering a round. Securing gun in holster or elsewhere, remove the magazine and top off tenth round. Take your time inserting this, making sure you have the mag locked in place. You're now good to go for daily carry.

Spare G30 magazines? I load them with only nine rounds. As you've noticed, there's no problem inserting those. If a tactical reload with slide forward is needed in an emergency, with shaky clumsy hands, "nine for sure" beats "ten maybe."

Another alternative is to use Glock 21 magazines, which in most generations won't have this problem due to their different internal dimensions.

Best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote