GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 14:02   #26
Kaybe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 182
Your freedom got taken away in the hopes of finding someone ELSE!? Most LEO's that say that this is okay probably would have a royal fit if they got cuffed, no matter how many times the LEO said,"Check my wallet!! I'm an officer!!" as he was cuffed anyway. This was wrong. Too many times the cuffs and taser come out in the name of safety. "I'm cuffing you for my own safety, while i write the jay walking ticket." I understand that it was a bank robber. I understand that weapons were involved. But denying freedom just because you are in the area, not good, not legal- in my opinion.
Kaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 14:14   #27
TheSorb
Member
 
TheSorb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybe View Post
Your freedom got taken away in the hopes of finding someone ELSE!? Most LEO's that say that this is okay probably would have a royal fit if they got cuffed, no matter how many times the LEO said,"Check my wallet!! I'm an officer!!" as he was cuffed anyway. This was wrong. Too many times the cuffs and taser come out in the name of safety. "I'm cuffing you for my own safety, while i write the jay walking ticket." I understand that it was a bank robber. I understand that weapons were involved. But denying freedom just because you are in the area, not good, not legal- in my opinion.
THIS!!!
TheSorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 14:49   #28
DaBigBR
No Infidels!
 
DaBigBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Circling the wagons.
Posts: 15,886
All of the discussion on this topic is occuring in another thread, replete with case law and much more logical discussion. It's linked at least twice in this one.
__________________
"Logic is rarely the engine that propels a police department forward."

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 15:14   #29
CJStudent
Fenced In
 
CJStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 17,461
Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSorb View Post
I am STUNNED...never thought I'd face such hateful opposition on GT while defending the Constitution of the United States...
Maybe because we actually have training in the LAW, and what it ACTUALLY means, as opposed to what you WANT it to mean.
__________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 15:46   #30
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: In the hood
Posts: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSorb View Post
I am STUNNED...never thought I'd face such hateful opposition on GT while defending the Constitution of the United States...
Not sure if serious?

Defending something on the Internet won't get ya too far, pal.

Maybe there's an occupy movement you can hop into??

Cop Talk


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 15:49   #31
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: In the hood
Posts: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybe View Post
Your freedom got taken away in the hopes of finding someone ELSE!? Most LEO's that say that this is okay probably would have a royal fit if they got cuffed, no matter how many times the LEO said,"Check my wallet!! I'm an officer!!" as he was cuffed anyway. This was wrong. Too many times the cuffs and taser come out in the name of safety. "I'm cuffing you for my own safety, while i write the jay walking ticket." I understand that it was a bank robber. I understand that weapons were involved. But denying freedom just because you are in the area, not good, not legal- in my opinion.
Opinions are like buttholes....


I'm glad we have case law and other jurisprudence to back up what we do. Even though the majority of you refuse to read any of it and not budge off your "this is my constitutional freesom" pedestal long enough to truly see that you're blabbing about.


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 17:01   #32
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,620
Blog Entries: 64
TheSorb, your posts illustrate a complete lack of knowledge and understanding of the law, both legislated and case law, that governs actions by law enforcement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSorb View Post
That sounds DANGEROUSLY close to...the end justifies the means...and...Hitler made the trains run on time...HORRIBLY flawed logic and COMPLETELY illegal, Constitutionally speaking (see below), no matter WHAT the courts say to the contrary!!!


Fourth Amendment To The US Constitution:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSorb View Post
What's your point Patchman? Have you never heard that phrase? It was a very common expression used by those who tried to justify Hitler's tactics. You might want to do a little research before you start spouting inanities and demonstrate just how ignorant YOU are!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSorb View Post
Soooo sick of the nazi BEHAVIOR & ATTITUDES...

EXACTLY!!!

REALLY...it WASN'T Hitler...wow...all this time I thought it was Hitler illegally detaining & handcuffing everyone at that Colorado intersection...my bad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSorb View Post
That's some unbelievable (& frightening) arrogance and ignorance you're demonstrating...I NEVER made any such comparison. And I have the utmost respect for American law enforcement personnel who acknowledge my rights AND uphold the Constitution of the United States - THE SUPREME LAW OF THIS LAND!!!

My comments were directed at someone who implied that the end (catching the alleged criminal) somehow justified the means (illegally detaining & handcuffing numerous persons for whom law enforcement had absolutely no probable cause to do so). Now if you are unable to make that mental connection, that's YOUR problem. Don't blame me and resort to immature name calling just because, evidently, you are unable to read and understand my comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSorb View Post
I am STUNNED...never thought I'd face such hateful opposition on GT while defending the Constitution of the United States...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybe View Post
Your freedom got taken away in the hopes of finding someone ELSE!? Most LEO's that say that this is okay probably would have a royal fit if they got cuffed, no matter how many times the LEO said,"Check my wallet!! I'm an officer!!" as he was cuffed anyway. This was wrong. Too many times the cuffs and taser come out in the name of safety. "I'm cuffing you for my own safety, while i write the jay walking ticket." I understand that it was a bank robber. I understand that weapons were involved. But denying freedom just because you are in the area, not good, not legal- in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSorb View Post
THIS!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
All of the discussion on this topic is occuring in another thread, replete with case law and much more logical discussion. It's linked at least twice in this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Folks, there is already a thread on this event here: Aurora PD gets the job done....

Lets keep the discussion confined to that thread.

Thanks
Please join the discussions already going in Political Issues, Cop Talk and especially the one in Civil Liberties Issues, and, based on your posts, Civil Liberties Issues is the most appropriate forum.

Thank you...
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 17:34   #33
TheSorb
Member
 
TheSorb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
your posts illustrate a complete lack of knowledge and understanding of the law, both legislated and case law, that governs actions by law enforcement...
I believe I have a decent working knowledge & understanding of the law, both legislated and case law, that governs actions by law enforcement-though I'm certainly no expert/scholar. I just believe that much of it is wrong and anti-Constitutional. So please don't mistake a different perspective as ignorance. Thank you.

I'll stop posting on this thread, as requested.
TheSorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 20:13   #34
Kaybe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 182
Ohio Copper, it appears that you and so many other LEO's believe that no matter what, the officer is supreme, right and always in charge. You see the citizens are nothing more than stupid sheep to taze or cuff when ever it is convenient. Those of us on the "constitutional pedestal" see that document as our protection against wreckless powers and abuses. Without the checks, there is no balance. You will understand when your badge is gone and you no longer have the "professional courtesy" going in your favor, but not until. I understand the LE job. I have made my traffic stops, put the cuffs on bad guys. and so on. But you see officers doing anything if it justifies the means; Constitution be damned. When you are on the other side and some bully with a badge decides that today is your day, you will see. The rule of law and the restraints on those in power need to constantly guarded. We don't need the sheepdogs turning wolf.
Kaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 20:17   #35
TheExplorer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,322
Disturbing is the best way to describe the situation. Blocking off the road, maybe. Handcuffing, far and beyond what I would expect from LE in the US.
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 20:23   #36
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: In the hood
Posts: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybe View Post
Ohio Copper, it appears that you and so many other LEO's believe that no matter what, the officer is supreme, right and always in charge. You see the citizens are nothing more than stupid sheep to taze or cuff when ever it is convenient. Those of us on the "constitutional pedestal" see that document as our protection against wreckless powers and abuses. Without the checks, there is no balance. You will understand when your badge is gone and you no longer have the "professional courtesy" going in your favor, but not until. I understand the LE job. I have made my traffic stops, put the cuffs on bad guys. and so on. But you see officers doing anything if it justifies the means; Constitution be damned. When you are on the other side and some bully with a badge decides that today is your day, you will see. The rule of law and the restraints on those in power need to constantly guarded. We don't need the sheepdogs turning wolf.
Cool.


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 20:26   #37
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
Sam Spade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 20,770
I see we have a new crop in...
__________________
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 21:03   #38
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,620
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
I see we have a new crop in...
Seems so...
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 21:41   #39
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: In the hood
Posts: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
I see we have a new crop in...
Different usernames, same diahrrea of the mouth.


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 22:17   #40
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO
 
Hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas, near the bison.
Posts: 22,952
Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Leaving a few bowls full. Bring your own beer.


People in large part don't look at case law most of the time, (personal opinion), because the perspective is that it is a lot to look at. Indeed it is.

In order to understand how things work in this country, and in state governments you have to go beyond looking at written law to case law. Case law generally is the application of the written law as interpreted by the judiciary, which I think most law enforcement officers understand because it is their livelihood. So, I am guessing it is up to those of us involved in law enforcement to explain that in the kindlier environment of a forum, and for those of us ambitious enough to do so, to go ahead and post a link or two to some applicable case law, or to where they can find applicable case law so that they can thoroughly understand what it is they are upset against; have concerns about.

Other than that, if people seek a change in the laws concerned with they need to address this to their congress, individually or as a group in order to facilitate such changes; and to exercise the power of the vote to usher in to office those sympathetic to their concerns.
__________________
Arming with truth defeats ignorance. Jesus said, "I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father but by me." John 14:6
"Opinions expressed in this article are those of the author
and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the Federal
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 23:09   #41
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 43,582
Blog Entries: 1


Cop Talk
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:10   #42
Patchman
Florist
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Land of Flora, Fauna & Merriweather
Posts: 11,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSorb View Post
I am STUNNED...never thought I'd face such hateful opposition on GT while defending the Constitution of the United States...
Sorry I'm late getting back here.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Except (here's the good news) I think you're too ignorant to really be a scoundrel.

You posted at least twice that Hitler made the trains run on time. So you're ignorant or stupid or sloppy with facts or just go around making up "facts" (ie: you're a lier). Maybe a combination of all of the above.

So flowing out of your ignorance, stupidity, or lies, you want to be taken seriously?
__________________
Sounds like he has nothing left but be a monkey's uncle. It's not like he's got a monkey's manhood left.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 06-10-2012 at 06:45..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:49   #43
knoxvegasdaddy
UBER VOL !!!
 
knoxvegasdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hallowed ground - Neyland Stadium!
Posts: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSorb View Post
I am STUNNED...never thought I'd face such hateful opposition on GT while defending the Constitution of the United States...
The "hateful opposition" comes from the FACT that YOU JUST CALLED COPS NAZIS!

I'm not a cop, never have been, loves me some Constitution as much as anyone.

What you said is OFFENSIVE on a very deep level. What part of that do you not understand??? You made a direct reference to Hitler (a killer of 6 MILLION people) in the same sentence that you questioned the actions of police that, at the time KNEW the following:

2 Men, both armed, whom had, only moments before, threatened the violent death of several people while they were in the act of committing about half a dozen Federal felonies that, if caught, would send them to a maximum security prison for 10-30 years. These same said men were KNOWN FOR A ROCK SOLID CERTAINTY(via modern technology) to be inside a small, well defined area. It was also believed that the robbers MAY have had a hostage.

So smart guy, since you LOVE the Constitution and also know everything, what would you have done knowing the totality of the circumstances?
__________________
Operators gonna operate - Fact!

Counting on someone else's self restraint for your safety is not a strategy. - OLY-M4gery
knoxvegasdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:00   #44
Patchman
Florist
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Land of Flora, Fauna & Merriweather
Posts: 11,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExplorer View Post
Disturbing is the best way to describe the situation. Blocking off the road, maybe. Handcuffing, far and beyond what I would expect from LE in the US.
I'm a big believer that with dynamic situations, need-it-right-now tactical decisions are best made by the boots-on-the-ground.

BTW, you do know the U.S. has a very relaxed policy on emigration, right?
__________________
Sounds like he has nothing left but be a monkey's uncle. It's not like he's got a monkey's manhood left.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:41   #45
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
I'm a big believer that with dynamic situations, need-it-right-now tactical decisions are best made by the jackboots-on-the-ground.

BTW, you do know the U.S. has a very relaxed policy on emigration, right?
fixed it for you. Although I'm not sure if "fixed" is spelled with an i or a u...

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:50   #46
Patchman
Florist
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Land of Flora, Fauna & Merriweather
Posts: 11,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
fixed it for you. Although I'm not sure if "fixed" is spelled with an i or a u...

Randy
It really doesn't matter how it's correctly spelled. If we wanted you to spell it, a jackbooted-thug-in-training (ie: FTO) will be over to beat it out of you.

And should he not have his hat on at any point during the beating, he'll just have to start all over again!
__________________
Sounds like he has nothing left but be a monkey's uncle. It's not like he's got a monkey's manhood left.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 06-10-2012 at 11:56..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 15:20   #47
AZson
Senior Member
 
AZson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tucson
Posts: 3,017
I have my opinion and it includes incompetence in it.
__________________
G17 G27 G29 G35 G38 NRA GSSF
NEED A GOOD GUN? See your local ATF (AKA F-troop) agent. He will get you one fast and furiously.
AZson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 18:50   #48
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 43,582
Blog Entries: 1


Admitting your opinion is incompetent is refreshingly honest, but not likely to sway many professionals to your side.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk 2
__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 19:12   #49
Patchman
Florist
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Land of Flora, Fauna & Merriweather
Posts: 11,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Admitting your opinion is incompetent is refreshingly honest, but not likely to sway many professionals to your side.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk 2
Sway? Sway from a gibbet?
__________________
Sounds like he has nothing left but be a monkey's uncle. It's not like he's got a monkey's manhood left.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 20:49   #50
banjobob
Senior Member
 
banjobob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybe View Post
Ohio Copper, it appears that you and so many other LEO's believe that no matter what, the officer is supreme, right and always in charge. You see the citizens are nothing more than stupid sheep to taze or cuff when ever it is convenient. Those of us on the "constitutional pedestal" see that document as our protection against wreckless powers and abuses. Without the checks, there is no balance. You will understand when your badge is gone and you no longer have the "professional courtesy" going in your favor, but not until. I understand the LE job. I have made my traffic stops, put the cuffs on bad guys. and so on. But you see officers doing anything if it justifies the means; Constitution be damned. When you are on the other side and some bully with a badge decides that today is your day, you will see. The rule of law and the restraints on those in power need to constantly guarded. We don't need the sheepdogs turning wolf.
Wiser words have not been spoken on GT. Amen.
banjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:39.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 735
185 Members
550 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42