Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-14-2009, 15:38   #1
dberry

new to high power and have ?'s

I have recently fell in love with the single action trigger and am interested in the high powers. How is the durability and reliability compared to DA/SA pistols? Could $550 get me a decent high power? Pardon my ignorance,please. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2009, 16:48   #2
h2o-5o
Owned by Pugs

Put on a pot of coffee, and start reading up on them at http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/

There has been a lot of HP's pop up for sale on the various boards lately, some for quite reasonable prices.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:09   #3
JohnJak
sadly spent

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2o-5o View Post
Put on a pot of coffee, and start reading up on them at http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/

There has been a lot of HP's pop up for sale on the various boards lately, some for quite reasonable prices.
+1

Like anything else you buy please do your homework. BHP is the finest pistol made in my honest opinion.
Old 08-15-2009, 18:24   #4
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
+1

Like anything else you buy please do your homework. BHP is the finest pistol made in my honest opinion.
Definitely one of the best 9mms of all time.

The Browning Hi Power Club

Last edited by bac1023; 08-15-2009 at 18:26..
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:50   #5
Strada Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberry View Post
I have recently fell in love with the single action trigger and am interested in the high powers. How is the durability and reliability compared to DA/SA pistols? Could $550 get me a decent high power? Pardon my ignorance,please. Thanks.
It's been said that when John Brwning designed the 1911 he hit a Home Run. When he designed the Hi Power, he hit a Grand Slam. I happen to agree.

I myself think it's the finest 9mm or .40 S&W platform out there today and it's reliability is second to none as long as you have a Mk III. The MkIII is any of the newer ones, but the production date escapes me at the moment, and it's too late and I'm too tired to look it up right now before going to bed.

As far as durability, change the recoil spring every 1,200 to 1,500 and you should be OK for the rest of your life. I myself carry and shoot a .40 S&W Hi Power off duty and change the recoil; spring every 1,000 rounds. It's cheap insurance.

I saw a 9mm MkIII for sale, looked seldom fired and well cared for, for sale in a local Pawn Shop. If I hadn't spent all my extra money on a Colt AR it would've gone home with me that day. The price? IIRC was $470 + Tax.

Strada Man
Strada Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 14:57   #6
Lester R. Britton

I recently saw a HP for sale and it was extremely used. A lot of that fantastic blueing was gone. The asking price was $550.00. I recently purchased a "used" HP that looked to me like it had never been fired. It was/is absolutely perfect to the point where I'm in a quandry as to whether or not I should shoot it. I was $740.00 OTD. I finally figured someone was going to shoot this gun and it might as well be me. Shot 100 rounds, cleaned it and put it back in the box. This pricing is in the mid-west.
Old 02-11-2010, 15:40   #7
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberry View Post
Could $550 get me a decent high power?
Yes. Do your learning and choosing, have the money, look energetically and be patient.

Last edited by El_Ron1; 02-11-2010 at 15:42.. Reason: I fell victim to a bumped thread! lol
El_Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 15:45   #8
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester R. Britton View Post
I recently purchased a "used" HP that looked to me like it had never been fired. It was/is absolutely perfect to the point where I'm in a quandry as to whether or not I should shoot it.
What model, how old? Unless it's uncommonly rare and hard to replace, I'd start exercising your authority upon it. We ain't gonna live forever.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:30   #9
RUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2o-5o View Post

I wonder if this book will still be available now that Mr. Camp has departed us?
Ham Shack #11 (K1HS)
NRA since '63
USMC
"Foreign Aid: The transfer of money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries."
RUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 18:42   #10
FireForged
Millenium #3936

I own (3) and have never had a problem with any of them. Mine are unmodified (right out of the box) guns. Well, I did put thin grips on them and always use FMJ's.
Old 06-11-2011, 19:23   #11
vmr357

Send a message via AIM to vmr357 Send a message via Yahoo to vmr357
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUT View Post
I wonder if this book will still be available now that Mr. Camp has departed us?
His wife will keep his site up and running while interest remains. I ordered the J-Frame book just this week and got a very prompt delivery.

I only have two Hi Powers, but am very happy with them. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Vern
Old 06-11-2011, 21:34   #12
RUT

Ok, thanks for the heads-up.
Ham Shack #11 (K1HS)
NRA since '63
USMC
"Foreign Aid: The transfer of money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries."
Old 06-11-2011, 22:55   #13
W.E.G.

First things first.

Its a HI-POWER... not a "high power."

Except for the price of the thinner grips, I got this one from AIM for $400 last year.

W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:02   #14
RUT

Update: I did order and receive Stephen Camp's Hi-Power book, and it came within a few days. It's quite informative and of very high quality. So, it would appear his wife (Sandy) is carrying on the business as before. Since she's listed as the "editor" of the book, I suspect she was handling this end of the business anyway.
Ham Shack #11 (K1HS)
NRA since '63
USMC
Old 06-22-2011, 16:36   #15
Bret
Crimping Master

I got that same book from him earlier this year with a signed note from him. The book is good. He'll be missed.
Old 10-15-2011, 15:14   #16
LarryNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUT View Post
Oh man, I did not know that. What a bummer. I love his website. I even e-mailed him once and he was a very nice man. I really hate to hear that. I'm pretty sure that he has gone to a better place though. He will certainly be missed.
Old 12-28-2011, 17:08   #17
ca survivor

I recently paid $800.00 for mine, no box or papers, but unfired.....
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:55   #18
Retired Squid

When it gets back from gun smith for trigger job and magazine safety removal I'll have $700 in the gun, bought used but unfired with box and papers.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:47   #19
Bret
Crimping Master

Never wanting to miss and opportinity to show one of my guns, here's my latest. As the owner of several Hi Powers, I decided that I'd like to have something that's not available in factory configuration. Since I had an aluminum alloy framed Hi Power that was in below par cosmetic condition, I decided to use it as the base for my creation. I decided that I'd like to have it made as reliable as possible, dings and scratches removed, a trigger job with the magazine disconnect removed, hard chromed, and big white dot sights installed. After some reading and a conversation with him, I decided to have Don Williams do the work. Here's a picture of the pistol before work started.

The thing that most impressed me about Don was what he told me didn't need to be done. He told me that I didn't need to have anything done to the barrel and I didn't need to have anything done as far as reliability goes because the Mark II Hi Powers are already extremely reliable.

Don machined the slide for and installed as set of Novak sights with big white dots for my less than sharp visioned eyes, did a trigger job, fabricated an extended safety, cleaned up all the dings/scratches, and had the pistol hard chromed by Metalife. For those who think that you can't hard chrome aluminum, it is possible. The trick I'm told is that the frame had to be nickel plated prior to the hard chrome being applied. Here is the final result.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:25   #20
257 roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester R. Britton View Post
I recently saw a HP for sale and it was extremely used. A lot of that fantastic blueing was gone. The asking price was $550.00. I recently purchased a "used" HP that looked to me like it had never been fired. It was/is absolutely perfect to the point where I'm in a quandry as to whether or not I should shoot it. I was $740.00 OTD. I finally figured someone was going to shoot this gun and it might as well be me. Shot 100 rounds, cleaned it and put it back in the box. This pricing is in the mid-west.
thats where I'm at!!! just got a "new" 1980 Hi-Power and not sure if I want to shoot or sell it
257 roberts is offline   Reply With Quote