Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 17:11   #121
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 45,707
Blog Entries: 1


Does anyone really expect someone alarmed by a heavily armed man to walk up to him and strike up a conversation?

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk 2
__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 17:12   #122
dbak
Senior Member
 
dbak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: charlotte nc
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
On this forum, it's always hard to tell. There are many here who wouldn't hesitate to argue that the police should ignore him until after somebody has been shot. Ironically, the same members also like to criticize the police for not preveenting crimes.
i see. and i agree some people are just stupid
dbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 18:22   #123
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,195


Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Does anyone really expect someone alarmed by a heavily armed man to walk up to him and strike up a conversation?

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk 2
Well, all we have is a black box. We know a very small amount about what went in, almost nothing about what occurred inside, and a fair amount about what came out. Obviously, the right thing happened, no one was hurt.

I can see someone going up and talking to him. Personally, I'd have liked to have a buddy nonchalantly take up an overwatch position over him, and a couple more watch the other entrances and exits before I went over. It would all depend on his demeanor after that. Psycho-motor agitation (fidgeting), eye contact, pitch of voice, startle reflex, pale moist skin, dilated pupils.... if that didn't look good, and depending on where his hands were, he'd be one "allahu akbar" away from three rounds to the head, timed halfway through a question I was asking him. I am not a super ninja, or a spy, or anything special, but I do know how to look at someone and pretty quickly assess whether they are about to do something bad. Other tips, any chance his wife was dressed oddly too? Dressing better than normal would have been another red flag. Was she sweating bullets? Car bombers in Iraq would prepare themselves to meet Mohammed, which usually meant they were very well dressed in bright white, perfumed etc.

Tough call. Glad it all turned out. Still, way too little is known about this to make any calls yet. Only thing for sure, is that the members of the church, and the police seem to have done the right thing.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 18:37   #124
Zut
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 161
With apologies to Russ, I would not have been upset if someone had dropped him right as he walked in the door. There are too many nutcases walking around trying to prove something to risk a bunch of innocent church goers. We can't carry in a church here in Georgia and if I couldn't quickly get my wife and kids out the back door, I would have jumped on him...
Zut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 18:39   #125
Stevekozak
Returning video
 
Stevekozak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Does anyone really expect someone alarmed by a heavily armed man to walk up to him and strike up a conversation?

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk 2
If they knew him, maybe they would not be so much alarmed as curious. Ever been in a small town church?
__________________
"You fight until you die. That's the whole deal in life. PERIOD." Regular Joe
Stevekozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 18:41   #126
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,195


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekozak View Post
If they knew him, maybe they would not be so much alarmed as curious. Ever been in a small town church?
Heroes can be found in the most surprising places, a small town church is not a place I would be surprised to find a hero.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 18:42   #127
Stevekozak
Returning video
 
Stevekozak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zut View Post
With apologies to Russ, I would not have been upset if someone had dropped him right as he walked in the door. There are too many nutcases walking around trying to prove something to risk a bunch of innocent church goers. We can't carry in a church here in Georgia and if I couldn't quickly get my wife and kids out the back door, I would have jumped on him...
You want someone to just "drop you" if they decide that they don't like what you are wearing, what you are carrying, or if you make them uneasy? You should let everyone in your town know. I bet there is someone there that will be glad to have that little nugget of news.
__________________
"You fight until you die. That's the whole deal in life. PERIOD." Regular Joe
Stevekozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 19:06   #128
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,195


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekozak View Post
You want someone to just "drop you" if they decide that they don't like what you are wearing, what you are carrying, or if you make them uneasy? You should let everyone in your town know. I bet there is someone there that will be glad to have that little nugget of news.
There is a context to be considered here:

http://gunssavelives.net/self-defens...mass-shooting/

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...21/detail.html

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Knoxville_Un...hurch_shooting

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-shooting?lite

http://www.9news.com/news/article/26...hurch-shooting

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...nybridge-place





Like I said earlier, this could have been prevented by Concealed carry. There is a time and a place for everything. Things that are odd are reasonable to pay attention too. What would you think if a guy walked into a convenience store with an unholstered handgun?

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 19:26   #129
Stevekozak
Returning video
 
Stevekozak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
There is a context to be considered here:

http://gunssavelives.net/self-defens...mass-shooting/

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...21/detail.html

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Knoxville_Un...hurch_shooting

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-shooting?lite

http://www.9news.com/news/article/26...hurch-shooting

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...nybridge-place





Like I said earlier, this could have been prevented by Concealed carry. There is a time and a place for everything. Things that are odd are reasonable to pay attention too. What would you think if a guy walked into a convenience store with an unholstered handgun?

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
I understand the context to which you are referring, but find it quite a dangerous attitude to have to want to shoot someone dead just because they are garbed out in a particular way or are carrying a particular type of gun. Proceed with caution, perhaps, gun them down, no. At this point, I would be more afraid to walk into a room containing Zut than into one containing the guy from the church. Given only what I have read about or from each of them. To my knowledge, the man from the church had not advocated gunning anyone down based on first impressions.
__________________
"You fight until you die. That's the whole deal in life. PERIOD." Regular Joe
Stevekozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 19:35   #130
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,195


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekozak View Post
I understand the context to which you are referring, but find it quite a dangerous attitude to have to want to shoot someone dead just because they are garbed out in a particular way or are carrying a particular type of gun. Proceed with caution, perhaps, gun them down, no. At this point, I would be more afraid to walk into a room containing Zut than into one containing the guy from the church. Given only what I have read about or from each of them. To my knowledge, the man from the church had not advocated gunning anyone down based on first impressions.

Whoa there hoss...... Who said anything about wanting to shoot someone? Guy walks into a church decked out for a zombie invasion or mass shooting...... Yeah, I'd be doing a threat assessment. The bag is the big deal for me. Some of us have been places where those things can go bad real quick.

I do not know what he had planned, I have no way to know that. But it appears he wanted attention. He has it now. Lucky him huh? If he was not up to no good, why didn't he mention it to the congregation the previous week. Communication can go a long way to avoiding trouble.

I'm still suspicious.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 19:43   #131
Jon_R
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Jon_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,739
I am sure he is referencing post 124 assuming from the poster drop him equals shoot him as soon as he walks in the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Whoa there hoss...... Who said anything about wanting to shoot someone? Guy walks into a church decked out for a zombie invasion or mass shooting...... Yeah, I'd be doing a threat assessment. The bag is the big deal for me. Some of us have been places where those things can go bad real quick.

I do not know what he had planned, I have no way to know that. But it appears he wanted attention. He has it now. Lucky him huh? If he was not up to no good, why didn't he mention it to the congregation the previous week. Communication can go a long way to avoiding trouble.

I'm still suspicious.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 20:12   #132
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,195


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_R View Post
I am sure he is referencing post 124 assuming from the poster drop him equals shoot him as soon as he walks in the door.
Shooting and killing someone is a choice based on circumstances. No one said that they wanted too. You'd have to be very naive to want to shoot someone. It's not pretty, and not nearly as glamorous as TV makes it seem.
Usually, it's very expensive.

But just because you don't want to, in today's world, you have to consider whether you will have too when you run into someone in that scenario. Nothing is certain, but a threat assessment is in order. If a crook is packing, getting ready to heist a corner store, and someone walks in open carrying, he's going to do something similar, probably with less objective evidence, he will decide what to do based on fear..... Could be a good thing, could be bad.

The guy got the attention he wanted, just not sure it ended the way he wanted.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 20:50   #133
4949shooter
Senior Member
 
4949shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Jersey Republik
Posts: 13,009


Zut said he would drop the mo fo. This may be extreme, but I understand where he is coming from.

As a police officer, I would give the subject one command, maybe even two commands, and depending on his reaction I would engage (or not).
__________________
"...the men under your command deserve your leadership."-OXCOPS
4949shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:57   #134
Stevekozak
Returning video
 
Stevekozak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Whoa there hoss...... Who said anything about wanting to shoot someone? Guy walks into a church decked out for a zombie invasion or mass shooting...... Yeah, I'd be doing a threat assessment. The bag is the big deal for me. Some of us have been places where those things can go bad real quick.

I do not know what he had planned, I have no way to know that. But it appears he wanted attention. He has it now. Lucky him huh? If he was not up to no good, why didn't he mention it to the congregation the previous week. Communication can go a long way to avoiding trouble.

I'm still suspicious.
Well, I thought Zut did. If I misunderstood Zut's meaning when he said "I would not have been upset if someone had dropped him right as he walked in the door", then I apologise. It sure seemed to me that he was refering to putting one in his melon. Threat assessment needs to be much more than glancing at what a person is wearing or carrying, before deciding to shoot someone. I think we are probably looking at this much the same, but perhaps have different ideas about what Rut meant in his post. I agree 100% that communication can go a long way in avoiding trouble. I should hope that some would be forthcoming before deciding to "drop someone" regardless of the meaning of the phrase.
__________________
"You fight until you die. That's the whole deal in life. PERIOD." Regular Joe
Stevekozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:00   #135
Misty02
Senior Member
 
Misty02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Well, all we have is a black box. We know a very small amount about what went in, almost nothing about what occurred inside, and a fair amount about what came out. Obviously, the right thing happened, no one was hurt.

I can see someone going up and talking to him. Personally, I'd have liked to have a buddy nonchalantly take up an overwatch position over him, and a couple more watch the other entrances and exits before I went over. It would all depend on his demeanor after that. Psycho-motor agitation (fidgeting), eye contact, pitch of voice, startle reflex, pale moist skin, dilated pupils.... if that didn't look good, and depending on where his hands were, he'd be one "allahu akbar" away from three rounds to the head, timed halfway through a question I was asking him. I am not a super ninja, or a spy, or anything special, but I do know how to look at someone and pretty quickly assess whether they are about to do something bad. Other tips, any chance his wife was dressed oddly too? Dressing better than normal would have been another red flag. Was she sweating bullets? Car bombers in Iraq would prepare themselves to meet Mohammed, which usually meant they were very well dressed in bright white, perfumed etc.

Tough call. Glad it all turned out. Still, way too little is known about this to make any calls yet. Only thing for sure, is that the members of the church, and the police seem to have done the right thing.
I agree. There isn’t enough information for us. It’s quite likely some of those present had more information, including but not limited to conversations or observations from previous encounters. It could have been just observations from that day. Assuming the article is correct; I do believe there was enough to raise the red flag that resulted in the 911 call. The remainder of the inventory seems highly suspicious as well.

Now, if he had discussed with others before that day that he was coming in full military gear with his rifle in celebration of Independence Day and to pay respect for all fallen military personnel who gave their life to preserve that Independence for all others, someone would have stood up and spoken on his behalf (which we don’t know if it happened or not). Granted, after finding the illegally carried concealed handgun and the illegally possessed morphine pills there wouldn’t have been much anyone present could have done to prevent his arrest.


.
__________________


"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:05   #136
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 35,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekozak View Post
I understand the context to which you are referring, but find it quite a dangerous attitude to have to want to shoot someone dead just because they are garbed out in a particular way or are carrying a particular type of gun.
Look at it this way - at best, shooting him when he walks in would stop a nutcase from killing a bunch of people...at worst, there'd be one less ninja posting about OC in GNG.
__________________
"Liberal" is when you hire others to use a guns to protect you, so you can pretend guns aren't necessary.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:09   #137
SevenSixtyTwo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tampa Bay Area Fl
Posts: 3,104
The person presenting their self as a threat real or perceived needs to consider whether it's worth the risk of getting shot as they walk in the door too. He knew he would not be received with yawns. No one is saying shoot someone because they appear different. But a threat needs to be evaluated very quickly. That could mean a pre-emtive shot at first appearance right or wrong. People reacting to protect their families can and should move to stop a threat "before" it does harm to themselves or their families. So don't walk into church appearing as a threat and you won't have to worry.
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:21   #138
Misty02
Senior Member
 
Misty02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zut View Post
With apologies to Russ, I would not have been upset if someone had dropped him right as he walked in the door. There are too many nutcases walking around trying to prove something to risk a bunch of innocent church goers. We can't carry in a church here in Georgia and if I couldn't quickly get my wife and kids out the back door, I would have jumped on him...
Obviously that wasn’t necessary. We can carry at church in FL and it is very likely there would have been more than a handful ready for possible conflict. Me? I would have gotten an unexpected stomach ache (or something) and my entire family would have had to take me home right then and there. The big question is, would I have been able to pull both our boys out of there with the possibility of friends being at risk and perhaps needing back-up until the police arrived? Hopefully not a question I ever need to find the answer for.

Thankfully the whole family is aware and agrees that the most successful gun fight is the one you’re not there for; however, when other family members or close friends are at risk the rules of the game change.

Additionally, he had been honorably discharged from the military. My entire family has a very high level of respect and admiration for those that have served. Why would you shoot such a person (or anyone else for that matter) unless you had absolutely no other choice left?
http://privateofficernews.wordpress....lee-hernandez/

.
__________________


"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:26   #139
Misty02
Senior Member
 
Misty02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
There is a context to be considered here:

http://gunssavelives.net/self-defens...mass-shooting/

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...21/detail.html

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Knoxville_Un...hurch_shooting

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-shooting?lite

http://www.9news.com/news/article/26...hurch-shooting

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...nybridge-place





Like I said earlier, this could have been prevented by Concealed carry. There is a time and a place for everything. Things that are odd are reasonable to pay attention too. What would you think if a guy walked into a convenience store with an unholstered handgun?

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
It could have, but it appears he wasn’t licensed for concealed carry as that was one of the charges. Of course, if no one noticed, no one would have been the wiser.

.
__________________


"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:42   #140
Misty02
Senior Member
 
Misty02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSixtyTwo View Post
The person presenting their self as a threat real or perceived needs to consider whether it's worth the risk of getting shot as they walk in the door too. He knew he would not be received with yawns. No one is saying shoot someone because they appear different. But a threat needs to be evaluated very quickly. That could mean a pre-emtive shot at first appearance right or wrong. People reacting to protect their families can and should move to stop a threat "before" it does harm to themselves or their families. So don't walk into church appearing as a threat and you won't have to worry.
I don’t necessarily agree. People reacting to protect their families can and should move their rears out of there if at all possible, engaging the threat (for me) is the last alternative when a safe escape is not available.

You just reminded me of a comment made by a friend in jest one day “maybe you all should separate and tactically sit in different sections”. Our entire family getting up and vacating a whole pew may not go unnoticed by someone with intent to do something stupid during the service. Maybe that deserves a bit more thought.

.
__________________


"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:45.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,388
397 Members
991 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31