Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-14-2012, 23:27   #21
VN350X10

And with the wrong comp, you might just shoot yourself in the foot with the 2nd round !

A great idea, back when .38 Stupid was the only game in town, but far over-powered for what was needed.
In a 10" Contender barrel, it would make an excellent hunting/varmint round.
Be a whole lot of fun in a 16 1/2" carbine barrel ! Easily powerful enough for coyote & small deer, given a proper bullet choice.

uncle albert
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:35   #22
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN350X10 View Post
Even thou you might be down by several per mag, the reliability of a Glock & the usual incompetence of the reloading habits of the majority of Open shooters tends to level the field ! As soon as a .38 or 9 shooter has a malfunction & ejects 1-2 rounds correcting it, he's lost time & ammo capacity. Meanwhile, the Glock just keeps running.
I saw this in a match my son was shooting, using his G24 in open. 9Major wasn't legal yet, so he was the ONLY .40S&W cal gun in the match in Open. One stage stands out, 32 steel poppers, basicly a balls-out shooting stage. He finished 5th on that stage, behind 2 GM's, 1 M & 1 A shooter. Bad choice of where to make his mag change cost him 2 places. But his G24 never bobbled. He beat several GM's & M's, as well as everybody else. He was shooting UNCLASSIFIED at the time, not having enough matches scored to be classified (he's now a very high "B" shooter).
Bottom line....everybody behind him had ammo related gun malfunctions, due to sloppy reloading quality control. Most Open shooters get their "SUPERGUN" and think it's a cure all. So don't rule out a Glock as opposed to a 1911/2011 type pistol.
(I'm currently building him a 9Major based on a G34 type pistol, & have been experimenting with 9Major for almost 8 yrs. Use it in my Production G34 on heavy steel stages for R&D) Oh yeah, my "normal" 9mm production ammo runs a PF of about 148-150. We shoot real-world ammo, not gamer loads in anything. When I used to shoot my G20 in Production, I was using a load with a PF of 214 !

uncle albert
Don't overlook WSF for 9MM Major loads, thanks for the story it was very insightful.
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:49   #23
Meathead9

Quote:
Even thou you might be down by several per mag, the reliability of a Glock & the usual incompetence of the reloading habits of the majority of Open shooters tends to level the field ! As soon as a .38 or 9 shooter has a malfunction & ejects 1-2 rounds correcting it, he's lost time & ammo capacity. Meanwhile, the Glock just keeps running.
I saw this in a match my son was shooting, using his G24 in open. 9Major wasn't legal yet, so he was the ONLY .40S&W cal gun in the match in Open. One stage stands out, 32 steel poppers, basicly a balls-out shooting stage. He finished 5th on that stage, behind 2 GM's, 1 M & 1 A shooter. Bad choice of where to make his mag change cost him 2 places. But his G24 never bobbled. He beat several GM's & M's, as well as everybody else. He was shooting UNCLASSIFIED at the time, not having enough matches scored to be classified (he's now a very high "B" shooter).
Bottom line....everybody behind him had ammo related gun malfunctions, due to sloppy reloading quality control. Most Open shooters get their "SUPERGUN" and think it's a cure all. So don't rule out a Glock as opposed to a 1911/2011 type pistol.
(I'm currently building him a 9Major based on a G34 type pistol, & have been experimenting with 9Major for almost 8 yrs. Use it in my Production G34 on heavy steel stages for R&D) Oh yeah, my "normal" 9mm production ammo runs a PF of about 148-150. We shoot real-world ammo, not gamer loads in anything. When I used to shoot my G20 in Production, I was using a load with a PF of 214 !

uncle albert
I'm not saying to scrap Glocks period for Open Class, I'm just saying that the G17 makes for a more competitive gun. I have laid down stage scores in production that smoked M's & GM's in open & Limited, but do I consistently do that or place higher on the results page? Not so much. Everyone $h*ts the bed on a stage or two, or even a whole match every once in a while.

Either the M's & GM's you shot with were only M's & GM's of Classifiers, or trashed several stages in that particular match. If your son consistently beats M's & GM's (especially down 8rds), he should be Classified well above B class. That's pretty badass that you shoot 214PF Minor loads though.

Last edited by Meathead9; 07-15-2012 at 08:53..
Meathead9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 16:50   #24
agtman
10mm Spartiate

Quote:
(I'm currently building him a 9Major based on a G34 type pistol, & have been experimenting with 9Major for almost 8 yrs. Use it in my Production G34 on heavy steel stages for R&D) Oh yeah, my "normal" 9mm production ammo runs a PF of about 148-150. We shoot real-world ammo, not gamer loads in anything. When I used to shoot my G20 in Production, I was using a load with a PF of 214 !uncle albert
Love this part - a genuine 10mm-competitor all the way.

Not just gaming it with a ".40-level" load in a more expensive case ...

agtman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10mm, glock 20, race gun