Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-20-2012, 19:57   #101
MacG22
CLM Number 213
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Watching the Chief give that press conference was hard. He has a lot of humanity in him.
I'm very impressed with how he has handled these briefings.
Old 07-20-2012, 20:01   #102
RussP

Quote:
Watching the Chief give that press conference was hard. He has a lot of humanity in him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG22 View Post
I'm very impressed with how he has handled these briefings.
Amen!!

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 20:04   #103
CanIhaveGasCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotb33 View Post
Listening to news reporters keep calling mags clips is very annoying.
This post adds nothing to the conversation, and I find it inappropriate given the serious tone of this thread.
CanIhaveGasCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 20:11   #104
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotb33 View Post
Listening to news reporters keep calling mags clips is very annoying.

YouTube - Gun Gripes Episode 2: "I need a Clip"
The Chief of Police did it a number of times as well. Get over it. Most everyone does it.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 20:23   #105
PattonT

What was the deal last night? Thursday was the busiest night in my law enforcement career and everyone I have talked to was busy as well. I was already thinking about how crazy it had been even before I heard about the shootings on Colorado.
Old 07-20-2012, 20:36   #106
GoBigOrange

Thank you to all the LEO's and rescue personnel on the scene.

I am perplexed as to how the shooter was captured and why he gave up without a fight after unleashing such carnage. I'm glad he didn't turn the gun on the LEO's who detained him.
GoBigOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 21:27   #107
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

God Bless everyone who responded. May they all find solace and peace in the aftermath.
Old 07-20-2012, 21:30   #108
PinkoCommie
Unusual Member

What a tragedy. My thoughts are with the victims and their families.

At the same time, listening to the radio traffic and reading the accounts makes me unbelievably proud to work in the same state and metro area as the officers who responded to the call. What an incredibly focused, calm and collected group of professionals. When **** goes down in my jurisdiction, I feel better knowing that they (with Cochese front and center) will be enroute Mach 2.
This wasn't me... --DaBigBR
I was hauling a large quotient of ass. --Cochese
PinkoCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 21:30   #109
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Still at the PD. I was one of the first wave of mutual aid cars. Made it there fast. Worst scene I've even been on.

Cant go into any detail obviously but so much death and distruction. Worst call ever.

Cochese, I have seen similar scenes while in the military and it's affected me to this day. I don't have to tell you to not bottle it in..

God Bless.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 21:31   #110
m2hmghb

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac45 View Post
God Bless everyone who responded. May they all find solace and peace in the aftermath.
Amen to that Sean, Amen.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 21:46   #111
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

Thanks Cochese!
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 21:49   #112
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Late to the thread.

Prayers for the victims.

Thanks and prayers for the responders.

Cheese, if any of us can help in the smallest way, PM, or JBT private forum.

Respectfully,

TBO

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk 2

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 21:53   #113
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

Does anyone know if it was announced on the PD radio when the shooter was taken into custody? Listened to it, but may have missed it.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 22:16   #114
CanIhaveGasCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky7 View Post
Does anyone know if it was announced on the PD radio when the shooter was taken into custody? Listened to it, but may have missed it.
They aired that they had him detained.
CanIhaveGasCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 22:36   #115
LippCJ7

as reported on 9news tonight at 2230 from APD Chief of Police Dan Oates:

0001 hrs Dark Knight starts
0039 First 911 Call received
0040 First Officers arrive on scene
0041 Holmes is in Custody
Within minutes 200 plus Officers are on scene

Very Very quick response, Speaks volumes.....
Old 07-20-2012, 23:21   #116
bccop

Late to the thread as well. My thoughts are with the victims and families; especially with all the first responders.

As an aside. We are issued respirators which the majority of my co-workers leave in their locker. I am one of the few that carry it in my car every day (in a seperate kit bag along with my tac vest and helmet to go with my patrol carbine).

Archilochus, Greek Soldier and Poet, 650 BC
bccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 00:36   #117
CW Mock

Metro cops:

Good work.

When they sounded the bugle, you came charging just like heroes should. You delivered big time. My hat is off to you for taking the turd alive.

If you need anything at all, let me know. PM if you like. I'm here, and proud of you guys up there. Colorado has had its ass kicked all year, and we are still swinging!
CW Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:33   #118
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOSHOOTR View Post
Cochese, I was EOW and missed going to this scene by 30 minutes but my radio was still on when the first cover request came in. It was mass chaos on the radio and I'm sure the scene was even worse....

I may not have been there but I know exactly how you are feeling. I had my worst call ever a few weeks ago when we lost one of our own. Talk it out and get help. Do not let this eat you up brother! If you need anything or just want to talk let me know.
Dude, I'm glad you got to **** this one out. You didn't deserve two crap sammiches that close together. We had a debrief and I feel much better. Listening to Metallix tonight to help the shift along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Fly View Post
I think this is Cheesy responding, right at the 25:04 mark

http://extras.denverpost.com/media/m...ooting0041.mp3
Guilty as charged. I changed to B-King 14 for the K9 search on a mutual aid channel that was probably not picked up on most of these radio recordings when I teamed up with a handler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faceplant View Post
Not sure where your coming up with the idea that fire was sitting back waiting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by faceplant View Post
I think there is a valuable lesson to learn from the audio, and that is speed, we have to act faster in the rescue/life preservation aspect of active shooter situations, sometimes that means putting first responders at risk, but so be it that is part of the deal we signed up for.

This statement is what gives me the impression that you thought fire was holding back or worse.

You have to understand this was not one scene but multiple scenes spread throughout the area. Thus the splitting into divisions you hear. As units were arriving onscene from different directions they were finding wounded people. No fire units were freelancing all went where assinged. Were fire and PD overwhelmed? Yes but this was a very well run scene considering the size and nature of the event and the post incedent analysis that is held will bear that out.
I worked hand in hand with Aurora Fire personnel for over an hour, triaging folks with masive injuries. Firemen and medics on scene were HEREOES and went above and beyond, considering the hot scene nature of the call. I was in the process of being assigned as a secondary entry team of officers who are crossed trained as EMTs or Paramedics when I got several patients brought to me at an engine and got busy.

AFD was DOIN WORK last night. Heroes.

Faceplant,

Quote:
Originally Posted by boby View Post
Thank all of you for what you do. That radio traffic was horrible, I cant imagine being there in person.

From a CCW standpoint that amount of armor scares the crap out of me. Guess you guys may need your rifles more often...
I'll go ahead and admit this now because it is important. Murphy is alive and well.

I was at the PD tearing the car battery out of my 08 CVPI (137,517 miles) as it had crapped out on me at the beginning of shift. I was pulling a battery out of another car deadlined at the PD when this crap was aired. I dropped what I had in the fleet lot and vaulted into a spare car with NO EQUIPMENT other than what I had on my belt (G17 with 4 mags, X200 and belt light.) My rifle, mags, SL20, my GSW kit, my MFF bag with my GM and goggles and helmet etc, all left in my effing car.

I felt extremely vulnerable knowing I was going up against rifle fire with 147 grain SXTs only and an opponent with plates and effing ballistic leggings!

Remember your equipment, every day. Check your cars, every day. Be ready for the suck, EVERY DAY.

Quote:
He is a cop's cop. He has done some weirdy policy stuff, but when the chips fall... stand up guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
Thank you to all the LEO's and rescue personnel on the scene.

I am perplexed as to how the shooter was captured and why he gave up without a fight after unleashing such carnage. I'm glad he didn't turn the gun on the LEO's who detained him.
Speaking from my POV, it would not have ended well for him. I cannot and will not go into details, but our response was overwhelming and offered no chance of survival other than to give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkoCommie View Post
When **** goes down in my jurisdiction, I feel better knowing that they (with Cochese front and center) will be enroute Mach 2.
Without question, any day or time.

And it won't take nearly as long for me to get there at 120 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky7 View Post
Aired on APD primary for that district that he was detained. Description aired and confirmed tobe armed and involved, all early on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LippCJ7 View Post
as reported on 9news tonight at 2230 from APD Chief of Police Dan Oates:

0001 hrs Dark Knight starts
0039 First 911 Call received
0040 First Officers arrive on scene
0041 Holmes is in Custody
Within minutes 200 plus Officers are on scene

Very Very quick response, Speaks volumes.....
MetroNet all call at 0054. I was en route at 0054. Arrival 18 minutes and 1/4 tank of fuel later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW Mock View Post
Metro cops:

Good work.

When they sounded the bugle, you came charging just like heroes should. You delivered big time. My hat is off to you for taking the turd alive.

If you need anything at all, let me know. PM if you like. I'm here, and proud of you guys up there. Colorado has had its ass kicked all year, and we are still swinging!
I followed a Troop from 270/36 all the way there.

CSP represented and were pros. Me and a trooper with a M&P AR made me feel better with my G17!
Old 07-21-2012, 01:38   #119
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Damn. 24 miles, door to door. Supposed to be a 34 minute drive with no traffic. I shaved off 16 minutes. Almost half.

Thank gawd I was drafting behind State Patrol.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:46   #120
efman

listening to the radio traffic makes me proud to be a leo. Cochese you are a hero and I am proud to be able to share a forum with upstanding officers like your self. this just shows how important training is. god bless the first responders and prayers for the victims.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:48   #121
GRIMLET
Deceased

Hey, Co, thanks for your hard work and help to the injured.

Its cops like you who give the rest of us a good name.
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:59   #122
X-ray 4N6

Thumbs up to all the emergency responders. It's a bad scene, and there will be ripples all the way down the patient handling chain. Hospital staff also.
I've seen my share of badness in South Africa and if I could do things differently I would have spent more time with people in other departments of the hospital after these events.
The problem being that I and many others bottled up our emotions on this, ended up chewing on this nastiness and revisiting the horror of it for years after the fact.
If there's one point to take away, it would be to talk about this, even if it means a few docs, cops, paramedics, nurses etc just go for a meal and a few beers. It will make a huge difference.
This event and others like it are an indelible stain. It is a burden which needs to be acknowledged and spoken about, otherwise it can eat at you for years after.

Last edited by X-ray 4N6; 07-21-2012 at 04:00..
X-ray 4N6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:05   #123
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Those radio communications are something.

Absolute professionalism on part of the Officers and the Dispatchers.

They should all be commended.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 07-22-2012 at 00:45..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:14   #124
articulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Were you on scene? I saw your guys from every district plus gang unit etc.
We were tasked with staying in the city and handling the radio. Boring, but it's gotta be done. As soon as the mutual aid call came out, three of our districts completely emptied, so that void needed to be filled. Luckily, the radio was completely dead, so no issues there (rare event for a Thirsty Thursday in the summer). I had Blue S/E playing in my ear the whole night. Disappointed I couldn't get in the mix.

When I heard that even you guys were responding, I actually chuckled a little at the thought of that code run... thank god it wasn't rush hour! And that's crazy about your car situation. That's got to be a heck of a lousy feeling getting sent to an active shooter without your gear. All that equipment, all that training, all that preparation, and the one time you actually need it you don't have it. Murphy for sure.
articulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:24   #125
Rick305
ra1sales.com

Hats off to you guys #salute