SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-11-2012, 16:31   #1
Bren
NRA Life Member

Army general is military's first openly gay flag officer

This is not really a political issue, or an Army issue - more of a social issue thing I guess, so I'm going to try GNG as a forum for it.

The interesting thing isn't that they made her a general and let her "wife" pin on her stars - that would be in keeping with Army policy . . . if you could make general in your first year.

The interesting part is, she has been in the Army for 26 years. More than 19 years ago, she had to state in writing that she was not a homosexual in order to join and I believe she may have had to lie about it again on her security clearance documents throughout the years. Even during Don't Ask Don't Tell, she was in violation for actually having a girlfriend/wife/whatever she calls her. DADT only stopped them from asking, it remained a UCMJ violation to have sex with a person of the same sex.

So that decided to ignore violations o fthe past - but does that wipe out an entire career of lying to the Army and violating regulations, to make her a general?

If she was straight and had a DUI as a captain, she probably wouldn't even be in the Army right now.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 16:36   #2
Kilrain
Señor Member

Being that she's a gay flag officer, does her car have little rainbow flags on the front fenders when she's driven around?

He is the pork of crime

- Michael Hurley
Kilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 16:36   #3
Ummagumma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
This is not really a political issue, or an Army issue - more of a social issue thing I guess, so I'm going to try GNG as a forum for it.

The interesting thing isn't that they made her a general and let her "wife" pin on her stars - that would be in keeping with Army policy . . . if you could make general in your first year.

The interesting part is, she has been in the Army for 26 years. More than 19 years ago, she had to state in writing that she was not a homosexual in order to join and I believe she may have had to lie about it again on her security clearance documents throughout the years. Even during Don't Ask Don't Tell, she was in violation for actually having a girlfriend/wife/whatever she calls her. DADT only stopped them from asking, it remained a UCMJ violation to have sex with a person of the same sex.

So that decided to ignore violations o fthe past - but does that wipe out an entire career of lying to the Army and violating regulations, to make her a general?

If she was straight and had a DUI as a captain, she probably wouldn't even be in the Army right now.
It's not like she's lied about her qualifications or having a prior criminal record. She lied under a policy of discrimination that 40 years from now would appear no different than "No colored people" policies do now. She shouldn't have been put in this situation in the first place.
Ummagumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 17:33   #4
Caver 60

I know of at least three full bull Colonels who received UCMJ punishment for adultery. One case happened within the last year or so. I don't see any reason she should be given an exemption for her violations. I'm on Bren's side on this one.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 18:25   #5
Restless28

What would McArthur, Patton, Bradley, Nimitz, Sgt. York and Audie Murphy think of this crap?
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 18:26   #6
bunk22

Yet she looks so hetero! Whew...

bunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 18:29   #7
kiole

How would you feel if she was Jewish and there was a policy against Jews serving? Then years later the discriminative policy was eliminated. Would you think her hiding her religion was justified?
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 18:30   #8
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Well,.....she looks like a dude, guess she is on top?
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 18:49   #9
Ummagumma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post
I know of at least three full bull Colonels who received UCMJ punishment for adultery. One case happened within the last year or so. I don't see any reason she should be given an exemption for her violations. I'm on Bren's side on this one.
What's the UCMJ definition of adultery ? Seriously, I've got no idea. Were they married and fooling around ? Or were they unmarried and had a girlfriend ?

Are all UCMJ personnel prohibited by having a relationship with other UCMJ personnel, even if neither is married ?
Ummagumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 18:53   #10
fireguy129
NRA Member 2008

Anyone surprised? Really??
fireguy129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 18:59   #11
davew83
hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

Send a message via AIM to davew83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
What would McArthur, Patton, Bradley, Nimitz, Sgt. York and Audie Murphy think of this crap?
Probably would worry more about the work they do than who they sleep with.
Duke of Marlborough
davew83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 19:01   #12
SPIN2010
Searching ...

Right on the money, Bren.

Just more proof we are in the time of what is right is wrong and what is wrong is right.

Fact: A lying CIC or a lying general, whats the difference? No agency is enforcing the law on criminals and the american people have no power over their leaders to do so anymore.
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 19:08   #13
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

The real question is was she promoted because of her sexuality or in spite of it?

Regardless...promotion party following the ceremony to be held at the "Don't ask don't tell club."

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 19:16   #14
KalashniKEV

Quote:
The interesting part is, she has been in the Army for 26 years. More than 19 years ago, she had to state in writing that she was not a homosexual in order to join and I believe she may have had to lie about it again on her security clearance documents throughout the years.
WOW... just wow...

Did you equate concealing her sexuality prior to DADT to getting tanked and taking the party on the road?

INTERESTING indeed... (your comment)

Quote:
Even during Don't Ask Don't Tell, she was in violation for actually having a girlfriend/wife/whatever she calls her. DADT only stopped them from asking, it remained a UCMJ violation to have sex with a person of the same sex.
Have you not violated Article 125? Because I did routinely...

I guess it's a good thing I'll never be a General.

Quote:

If you were a runaway slave, your record was clean after the Emancipation.

If you were a top performer in service to Nation, serving under a backward policy that was later reversed, your record is similarly clean whether you're a General officer or an E-4 for life.

I'm really surprised by your shameful comment. You should slap the **** out of yourself and edit the OP, IMO.

Last edited by KalashniKEV; 08-11-2012 at 19:18..
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 19:26   #15
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Quote:
I see you spelled flag correctly.

And yeah, if she lied to get her security clearance, she needs to be prosecuted. It's a matter of national security, not a sex club.

ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 19:27   #16
zoyter2
Yeah, so what?

I think people are avoiding the REAL issue and dodging what NEEDS TO BE SAID........................

Congratulations on your promotion and thank you for your service General Smith.
Old 08-11-2012, 19:40   #17
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyter2 View Post
Congratulations on your promotion and thank you for your service General Smith.
x1000

This is a historic moment in the history of the United States Army and should be celebrated, but really, congratulations to BG Smith!!

The age of Radical Christian Moralism is over in this country. Our culture has progressed.

No longer do we have THE FIRST AMERICAN FEMALE ASTRONAUT living in shame of her sexuality, and in secret. No longer do we have General Officers living lives of service- contrary to the policies of their organizations.

We can celebrate the WHOLE HERO now... and that's a very good thing!

:salute:
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 19:41   #18
bigleaf

It seems that her work over her career was exceptional to the point that she was promoted again, and again, and again until she was among the highest leaders in our Army.

You've got to remember... In response to a set of discriminatory, unjust and un-American regulations against a large number of their fellow soldiers, the Armed Forces has ignored sexual orientation for decades. They didn't much talk about it. Soldiers did their jobs. Soldiers got promoted according to how well they did their jobs. They even got Congress and Pres. Clinton to codify it with "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", while those unjust regs were heading out the door for good.

Here's the test for government recognition of marriage or equal treatment under the law, or any right of any American: Is this a right of a citizen? Is she a citizen? If yes, and yes, then yes.

Congratulations to General Smith, and to our Army for truly reflecting our citizenry.
That's all that tyranny is: it's not in a personality; it's a set of circumstances. It's being trapped with your enemy in a limited space– a country or a family– where the balance of power between you is unequal and the weaker one has no recourse.
bigleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 19:46   #19
Detectorist

Quote:

I agree 100%

Having served on active duty in the Reserve Personnel Center, I've seen it time and time again.

For example: back then the Officer regulations stated that if you fail certain career courses you must be discharged. I've seen a female officer fail twice and nothing happened to her. On top of that, I was threatened with disciplinary action of I looked into it further.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 19:52   #20
boby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
Who cares what a bunch of dead guys think?
boby is offline   Reply With Quote