Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-22-2012, 13:58   #21
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
I've had good luck with the subload. Clip it to the receiver buckle on my belt, wrap the two straps around my leg and clip the buckles. Done. Properly tensioned straps are no issue for running and it takes about ten seconds to put it on. It also doesn't interfere with your rifle and sling.
I like this too.

I don't plan on running the top strap. I only use the lower one anyway. Keeping the receiver buckle on the INNER belt kills my only concern, which was taking up space with one of those in the first place.

I wish I hadn't given away my 6004 on the gear thread.
Old 08-22-2012, 14:16   #22
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalchuckster View Post
I carry a rifle/handgun mag load out thigh mounted rig, I keep the female clip on my underbelt so it doesnt take up room on my duty belt. The pouches are both made by TAG and are great products. The rifle pouch is a 4 mag shingle pack with molle on the outside of it and simple velcro flaps with big tabs that make it easy to pull open. The inside of the shingle pouch has seperate elastic dividers so when you take one mag out the rest of the mags don't bounce around or make noise. On the outside of the shingle pouch I have a TAG tripple enhanced handgun mag pouch, which is their newer design that is open top with magnets sewn into the pouch so it holds the mags in really good. It holds my Glock mags in there nice and secure and even while running or going prone I don't have an issue of the mags comming out. I'm at patrol rifle instructor school now so on my break i'll try to take a picture of it and post it up.
Would love to see a pic. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Of all the things I have heard of, that is a first for me. How did you manage to get that skill down?
I started off shooting pistol right handed. In the academy, one of the instructors saw me signing in with my LEFT hand and asked me if I was left handed or right handed. He asked why I was shooting right handed then and I told him I didn't really know, it just felt right. He had me switch over to lefty and it's been that way since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkoCommie View Post
My setup is a lot simpler than the kind of gear you would even glance at

I have a Blackhawk rifle bandoleer (http://goo.gl/hznv5) with spare mags, a couple quick-clot sponges and a big compression bandage. Not very "cool", but practical, simple, and inexpensive.

You're... hmm... interesting.
O like that a lot too but I think it would get kind of busy around my rifle and that pack. I do like it though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
I know several shooters who shoot long guns opposite their dominant hand. Usually due to the opposite eye being dominant.
Primarily left handed, right eye dominant. I actually shoot "better" with pistol right handed (probably due to the right eye dominance) but I'm just used to it now. As a side effect, I have trained equally on both sides since 2004. Rifle just feels RIGHT shooting on the right side. Left side long gun kinda sucks for me, so I keep it simple.

SUPER fast transitions.

It's also interesting when I attend a shooting school and we have the inevitable "off hand" shooting comps. I always clean up. Instructors are like when I manage to get through the course left handed and kill thew off hand sections.

Its one of my stupid human tricks, like saying the alphabet in alphabetical order in 20 seconds and clapping one hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bccop View Post
Vests and helmets are issued with the rifle.

Here's my setup. I keep debating on picking up a pistol mag pouch that mounts directly onto the Nexus Fast Mag but heard it sticks out too much. I keep the 20 rounder in the pouch just in case I don't have time to get to my tac vest (with 30 round mags x 2) in the trunk.

I just transitioned from a Safariland 070 to the 6304 2 weeks ago. I do like the new holster. However, it's going to take a while getting used to a new draw and overcoming almost 13 years of muscle memory.

Cop Talk
We don't issue jack squat. I like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSNYPR View Post
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Rif...r,856,1388.htm

I carry one of these in my car. I don't throw it around my shoulder, but rather just snap it around my waist. It works great. Gets in the way of my taser, but it's a tradeoff I can make - if I need this much ammo, I likely am not in taser mode.
Another nice option. PS it is good to see you back.
Old 08-22-2012, 15:47   #23
COLOSHOOTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Yep, we can't wear external kit like that. Don't ask me why. That's why I sold my swat vest to articulate or I would have kept it.

My AR mag holder is made by COM Holsters. Steve makes one too at ColoradoHolster.com

I wear it on my duty belt. Behind my pistol. I shoot rifle right handed and pistol lefty so it works very well.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Is your plan to use it for normal deployment or just for IARD type stuff?

The reason I ask is we're not allowed to have external vests normally but nobody is going to care if you toss one on when things are going that bad.... I'm not going to ask permission but I'm sure I'll be okay if I have to deploy my vest and won't be canned for it!

On the other hand, now that I broke my Center Mass Patrol Integrated Mag Pouch (AR Mag behind pistol mags) I am looking for something for general use where a plate carrier is not really warranted. So I am interested on what you find here.

-George Orwell-
COLOSHOOTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 16:26   #24
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOSHOOTR View Post
Is your plan to use it for normal deployment or just for IARD type stuff?

The reason I ask is we're not allowed to have external vests normally but nobody is going to care if you toss one on when things are going that bad.... I'm not going to ask permission but I'm sure I'll be okay if I have to deploy my vest and won't be canned for it!

On the other hand, now that I broke my Center Mass Patrol Integrated Mag Pouch (AR Mag behind pistol mags) I am looking for something for general use where a plate carrier is not really warranted. So I am interested on what you find here.
Basically for SHTF stuff, like Aurora, or armed subject calls with a high degree of chance for gunplay. I think I could certainly get away with it in another Aurora type situation but the issue is carting it back and forth from where I keep all my crap to the car. I have to share a car. Therefore it needs to be discreet or within policy.

This is an old setup, but this is my mag carrier. Made by Center of Mass holsters.

Cop Talk

My buddy Steve makes these...

http://www.coloradoholster.com/Color...er/Photos.html

He is a local deputy sheriff and a Glock Talk member. He also only charges $25!
Old 08-22-2012, 16:55   #25
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
I want pics!

Pardon the dreadful phone camera quality. Otterbox Defender has a screen protector for the camera that I really need to remove.

Cop Talk

I had a BSD Tactical quad subload before this one and found it was on the heavy and loud side with the fourth magazine. I had two MOLLE single pistol mag pouches on that one, but only ever had a flashlight in one of them because I found it heavy as it was and did not like lugging it for more than a half hour.

The Safariland rig with three magazines is light, stays in position better, and is quieter. I have considered making one or even all of the pouches ELS (Equipment Locking System) plates so that I could swap things around. When I carried my Taser in my cargo pocket, the subload prevented me from accessing it, but were I able to quickly remove one magazine and snap in the Taser in a Safariland holster (to maintain compatibility with the ELS system, that wouldn't be too bad. The same could go for additional cuffs, pistol magazines, or anything else.

Total cost to build the rig was right in the $120 range, which is a little steep, but the quality and function are definitely there. All necessary parts can be purchased from CopQuest (really from any Safariland dealer that is willing to order the components, I mention CQ because they have the whole Safariland catalog on their site), with the exception of two T-nuts to attach the strap to the shroud (cheaper to buy this way than a completed shroud). I bought the T-nuts for $0.08/each at a hardware store.

You could also do the one strap shroud to begin with. I prefer the one strap (and DFA belt loop) for a drop leg handgun holster, but prefer the additional support of the two strap with the subload due to the weight and weight distribution of the three AR mags.

If anybody wants a parts list to build their own, I can put one together.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 16:59   #26
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

I would sure as hell be interested in a list!
Old 08-22-2012, 17:13   #27
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
I would sure as hell be interested in a list!
Here it is. Prices have apparently gone up. May be worth shopping around some.

Safariland 774 Competition Rifle Mag Pouches
http://www.copquest.com/23-8155.htm

Although described as "competition" pouches, they are duty-ready, open top kydex with adjustable tension and proper hardware for attachment to the shroud.
Quantity: 3
Total Cost: $76.80

Your choice of:
Safariland 6004-4 - Double Leg Strap Shroud Only
...or...
Safariland 6004-14 - Single Leg Strap Shroud Only
http://www.copquest.com/23-6265.htm

Single or double strap shroud based upon your preference.
Quantity: 1
Total Cost: $12.00

Safariland Thigh Leg Strap for 6004/6005 Holster - Single Strap
http://www.copquest.com/23-6500.htm

One or two of these depending on your preference in shroud.
Quantity: 1 or 2
Total Cost: $14.40 or $28.80

Safariland Complete Vertical Strap and Buckle for 6005 Holster
http://www.copquest.com/23-6385.htm

Pretty self explanatory. Go with the 6005 strap so that you get the QD buckle.
Total Cost: $32.00

TOTAL: $135.20 or $149.60

That's still $11 cheaper than buying the complete two strap shroud and the three mag pouches.

Alternatively, if you want to do the one strap, you can buy:

Safariland 6005-10 Small Tactical Leg Shroud w/1 leg strap - Detachable
http://www.copquest.com/23-6225.htm

Total Cost: $53.60

and the three magazines for $130.40 and have a one-strap shroud (albeit a slightly different one, I think) and three pouches for $5 less than piecing it together.

I'm actually a bit surprised by how prices have increased. May be worth tracking down a 6004 or 6005 on a forum, swapping the vertical strap for the QD one if necessary, and going from there. The current prices make me wish I would have bought parts to build some spares.

-David Simon in "Homicide"

Last edited by DaBigBR; 08-22-2012 at 17:13..
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 18:44   #28
socalchuckster

pics as requested of my TAG set up

Last edited by socalchuckster; 01-29-2014 at 14:16..
socalchuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 15:59   #29
ropin4gold

I roll with this:

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Its maxpedition with a Quad AR mag pouch.
ropin4gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:48   #30
GumbyDammit
Xtra CoCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalchuckster View Post
pics as requested of my TAG set up
Does this have a molle option to attach to a vest? I've got a tac vest that I'm planning to add hard plates to as well as mags & a first aid kit. This looks like it wouldn't take up too much real estate.
The other night there was a loud argument in the hall outside my apartment while I was trying to sleep. I went out and told them they better leave or I was gonna use some Kung-Fu... THAT scared them off...

Plus I was totally nekkid and holding a gun.
GumbyDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:59   #31
GumbyDammit
Xtra CoCheese

Quote:
It's also interesting when I attend a shooting school and we have the inevitable "off hand" shooting comps.
Our dept does a lot of what's affectionately become known as "left handed bull ****". A lot of guys don't like it but a few of us have embraced it. I'm right handed but left eye dominant so it works out okay to switch.

I actually carry my bug in my left side cargo pocket so when we do our bug quals that's where I draw/shoot from. First couple of times I did it & we switched to "weak hand" (which would mean changing to my strong hand if you're following at home) I got yelled at for doing the drill with the "wrong" hand & had to explain.
The other night there was a loud argument in the hall outside my apartment while I was trying to sleep. I went out and told them they better leave or I was gonna use some Kung-Fu... THAT scared them off...

Plus I was totally nekkid and holding a gun.
GumbyDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:09   #32
RetailNinjitsu

I would get a plate carrier. I have one with 3 30 round pmags, 3 extra glock 22 mags, 3 zip cuffs, and a medical kit. I am not "allowed" to wear one either...but I'd love to meet the guy who is going to yell at you for wearing it when rounds start flying...
RetailNinjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 14:43   #33
SAR
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Here's what I have on hand. Scalable of course to fit the situation. At the very minimum, I have two extra handgun magazines on my sam browne. If I need to deploy my rifle, the minimum load out to go with the rifle is a thigh rig with four extra 30 round magazines. If it starts to go sideways, my tac vest has three more 30 round M4 magazines, and two extra handgun magazines. If it gets worse, I have five more 30 rounders and a couple more handgun magazines that I can deploy.

Cop Talk
Old 08-24-2012, 16:43   #34
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI-Drop-Leg-...-p/hsg.307.htm

I carry three pistol mags and a 20 round pmag on my belt.

In light of the **** shows I've been sent to lately, I want to have more available. Something I can throw on in a hurry. Plate carriers for patrol are not an option.

Anyone use one of these guys?
We use a Blackhawk drop leg. It holds 4 ar mags and snaps into a buckle worn on inner belt. Very fast to throw on. Costs about $40 for the drop leg pouch and $10 for belt adaptor.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Ωmega-Elite-M16-Mag-Pouch-Holds-4,122,111.htm

Some guys use 3 pouches for mags and 1 for med supplies like tourn and qc.

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

Last edited by SCSU74; 08-24-2012 at 17:32..
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 17:02   #35
ucop27

My question to myself and out loud is how many guys train with their bailout bag? I am liking the thigh idea more and more. Much easier to deal with than a bag that you need to carry on your person somehow and not let it get in the way.
Old 08-24-2012, 17:04   #36
kpuscg04
ACTA NON VERBA

Have you thought of going with a drop leg MOLLE platform and then adding FASTMAGs to the platform?

I would think you could get as least 2 probably 3 M4/AR15 mags. You can then add FASTMAG pistol mags to the rifle mag holders.
kpuscg04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 17:05   #37
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

I'm thinking Jack Bauer man satchel. Effective, stylish, and intimidating.
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 17:34   #38
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucop27 View Post
My question to myself and out loud is how many guys train with their bailout bag? I am liking the thigh idea more and more. Much easier to deal with than a bag that you need to carry on your person somehow and not let it get in the way.
I like the thigh pouches a lot. Some of our guys have 2 of the adaptors on their belt. Left side for ar mags and right side for a med supply dump pouch. Very fast to snap on and access once attached.

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
Old 08-24-2012, 17:38   #39
J_P

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR View Post
Here's what I have on hand. Scalable of course to fit the situation. At the very minimum, I have two extra handgun magazines on my sam browne. If I need to deploy my rifle, the minimum load out to go with the rifle is a thigh rig with four extra 30 round magazines. If it starts to go sideways, my tac vest has three more 30 round M4 magazines, and two extra handgun magazines. If it gets worse, I have five more 30 rounders and a couple more handgun magazines that I can deploy.

Cop Talk
That's a sweet setup! Much Compliments!

J_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 17:42   #40
mjkeat

As officers do any of you see a time where there would ever be a need for some of these rigs w/ 5+ rifle mags?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote