SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:39   #226
mjsarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
Then there are those who don't swagger or strut or anything similar, but their very presence says "Start something at your own risk".

They stand out also. They are the ones that most LEO'S don't mess with because they don't start things. The only exception to that of which I am aware are those LEO'S who have an inferiority complex of some type(Yes, they do exist, thankfully a small minority). They really dislike ANYONE who has a modicum of self confidence.
"Then there are those who don't swagger or strut or anything similar, but their very presence says "Start something at your own risk". - Being 6'0 - 240 and pretty thick in the chest does that all by itself.

All kidding aside, I've been carrying for almost 15 years and there's never been a time where I've "been made" or asked if I was "maybe" carrying. As stated by others, it all comes down to how you carry your weapon and equally as important, how you carry yourself. If you look or act like someone who is noticeably different than the people around you, you will be seen and then questions will start. Blend in, be cool and 99.9% of the time everything will be just fine.
Big Dawg #313 / Sub Club #313 / TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club #3577 / NRA Life Member

Gen 4 G19 / Gen 4 G21 / Gen 3 G26 / Gen 3 G30SF

Last edited by mjsarge; 08-28-2012 at 10:40..
mjsarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 14:44   #227
Schlitz

I print almost 100% of the time I carry. I've been mistaken for a cop by other people and by cops themselves.

I refuse the carry a .380 in my butt crack and I love outside the waistband holsters.

I don't care...

Carry Issues
Old 08-28-2012, 15:03   #228
Marine123

I have been carrying for 2 weeks and I have has prior incidents where because of my Hispanic descent I have been stopped and questioned. Well I do wear baggy pants and have a shaved head (prior military) I guess this makes me look like a Cholo. Does this look give me away as a ccw? I don't want to get shot by a police officer getting all freaked out.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Marine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 15:50   #229
Schlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine123 View Post
Does this look give me away as a ccw? I don't want to get shot by a police officer getting all freaked out.
Yes. A shaved head is a clear give away that you are carrying concealed, and when police know someone is carrying concealed they immediately open fire.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:51   #230
TattooedGlock
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
I print almost 100% of the time I carry. I've been mistaken for a cop by other people and by cops themselves.

I refuse the carry a .380 in my butt crack and I love outside the waistband holsters.

I don't care...

Carry Issues
Except here in TX if you print, you get arrested and lose your CHL

GSSF Life Member
1911 Club and Big Dawg Member
TattooedGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 18:38   #231
Schlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedGlock View Post
Except here in TX if you print, you get arrested and lose your CHL
Like Florida, I don't think Texas has a law that references printing.

Quote:
TEX GV. CODE ANN. 411.171 : Texas Statutes - Section 411.171: DEFINITIONS
(3) "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.
It seems printing would be okay in texas - so long as you're not wearing spandex that shows the complete outline of a gun.
Schlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 22:18   #232
RussP

Quote:

It seems printing would be okay in texas - so long as you're not wearing spandex that shows the complete outline of a gun.
Printing is NOT "okay in Texas."

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 13:10   #233
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoops dude View Post
That is completely true but In a real life situation are you going to dive to the floor with everyone else, or stay in bad guy's field of vision while drawing or attempting to draw your weapon whether it be by remaining seated or standing?
Most people look up to see what it is, stand still till the figure it out, then run. Going to the ground... not so much.
Old 08-30-2012, 16:09   #234
Schlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Perhaps if you're wearing spandex around the gun. But printing under a t shirt seems to fit the definition of concealed handgun per the Texas statutes. Is there any case law on this to set a different precedence?

The grip of your gun poking out of your shirt can look exactly like some of these giant smart phones people are carrying around today in a cell phone holster/case/clip/whatever they call them.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:08   #235
RussP

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps if you're wearing spandex around the gun. But printing under a t shirt seems to fit the definition of concealed handgun per the Texas statutes. Is there any case law on this to set a different precedence?

The grip of your gun poking out of your shirt can look exactly like some of these giant smart phones people are carrying around today in a cell phone holster/case/clip/whatever they call them.
How much research did you do before posting, "It seems printing would be okay in Texas," a little, none?

Printing, carrying a firearm in such a way that it is clearly identifiable to the casual observer, means the firearm is not "concealed". It may be covered, but it is not concealed. That, not carrying concealed, will get you into trouble in Texas.

Carrying in a way that the ordinary observation of a reasonable person would lead them to think, "Wow, he carries a big cellphone," is not "printing".

Old 08-31-2012, 09:32   #236
bruzer

So can I wear my Spandex in Texas or not!!! If I can't then I'm going to have to buy a whole new wardrobe before I visit.
Mike
bruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 13:52   #237
Glock_Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruzer View Post
So can I wear my Spandex in Texas or not!!! If I can't then I'm going to have to buy a whole new wardrobe before I visit.
Mike
Hmmm, that could prompt someone to say "is that a glock in your pants, or are you just glad to see me?" :eek:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Glock_Convert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 14:27   #238
RussP

Folks, please, let's not continue down this path.

Thanks...

Old 08-31-2012, 14:58   #239
SCmasterblaster

Great posting. Good review of the rules.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:15   #240
Schlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruzer View Post
Mike

Quote:
w much research did you do before posting, "It seems printing would be okay in Texas," a little, none?
I read the law...then I posted it with my claim.

I have "been around" for a while now, in it's always been my understanding that printing is when your gun is poking your clothing out of it's natural place in one way or another. If printing was straight up showing the gun's exact outline then it wouldn't be an issue because NO ONE WHO IS SANE goes out in a spandex suit with a glock underneath. Printing would never be discussed on gun forums if this was the case.

Quote:
Printing, carrying a firearm in such a way that it is clearly identifiable to the casual observer, means the firearm is not "concealed".
I don't think you actually read my posts. To clear this up I used spandex as an example. Carrying under spandex would be clearly identifiable to the casual observer -not okay!
The butt of your gun poking your polo cotton shirt is not clearly identifiable, but it is printing.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:18   #241
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoops dude View Post
Most of the time the guys I have made just look like pmc's. tactical pants, boots (insert brand here), web belt etc etc.
I have worm bdu pants a lot for years because of comfort and I have had no problems yet. But the thing that matters most is to relax, make sure your weapon is hidden from view. I walk right up to leo and chat with the firearm on me.
I saw a FBI agent getting gas one night and he was checking his firearm in his glass. I told him "nice gin"...I told him I saw it when getting out of the car and that does seem to be the hardest part for most people. So when I get out of the car I check the area visually and check my attire.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 17:12   #242
RussP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlitz View Post
  • like florida, i don't think texas has a law that references printing.

• Tex gv. Code ann. 411.171 : Texas statutes - section 411.171: Definitions
    • (3) "concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.

• It seems printing would be okay in texas -

• so long as you're not wearing spandex that shows the complete outline of a gun...if you're wearing spandex around the gun.

• But printing under a t shirt seems to fit the definition of concealed handgun per the texas statutes.

• The grip of your gun poking out of your shirt can look exactly like some of these giant smart phones people are carrying around today in a cell phone holster/case/clip/whatever they call them.

• I have "been around" for a while now, in

• it's always been my understanding

• that printing is when your gun is poking your clothing out of it's natural place in one way or another.

• If printing was straight up showing the gun's exact outline then it wouldn't be an issue because no one who is sane goes out in a spandex suit with a glock underneath.

• Printing would never be discussed on gun forums if this was the case.
  • To clear this up

• i used spandex as an example.

• Carrying under spandex would be clearly identifiable to the casual observer -not okay!
      • The butt of your gun poking your polo cotton shirt is not clearly identifiable, but it is printing.
Let me clear this up.

Like many aspects of carrying for self defense, the issue of "printing" must be viewed on a sliding scale using the effects of differing state laws, differing local customs, and last, the carrier's knowledge and understanding of these laws and customs.

What is good and acceptable in one state, one jurisdiction, may not be so in others. The observation skill of the "reasonable person" also comes into play as that too differs from person to person.

How much of the grip printing is enough to identify the object as a firearm? That again depends on the observation skills of the "reasonable person".

The person carrying should know the law and local customs very, very well before testing another person's theory about what degree of "printing" is acceptable.

As I've said before, what is good and right for one person may be deadly wrong for another.

Everyone, make your, your choices wisely...

Last edited by RussP; 09-01-2012 at 17:13..
Old 09-01-2012, 17:47   #243
Schlitz

Quote:
Let me clear this up.

Like many aspects of carrying for self defense, the issue of "printing" must be viewed on a sliding scale using the effects of differing state laws, differing local customs, and last, the carrier's knowledge and understanding of these laws and customs.

What is good and acceptable in one state, one jurisdiction, may not be so in others. The observation skill of the "reasonable person" also comes into play as that too differs from person to person.

How much of the grip printing is enough to identify the object as a firearm? That again depends on the observation skills of the "reasonable person".

The person carrying should know the law and local customs very, very well before testing another person's theory about what degree of "printing" is acceptable.

As I've said before, what is good and right for one person may be deadly wrong for another.

Everyone, make your, your choices wisely...

I would implore anyone reading stuff like these discussions to not take anything they've read here and treat it with value. Read, know, memorize, and be able to cite the local laws in your jurisdiction before walking out of the house with a gun - and do the same before traveling to a different jurisdiction. Ignorance of the law or "I read it on Glock Talk" won't save you when you have silver bracelets placed on you.
Old 09-01-2012, 21:29   #244
RussP

Quote:
I would implore anyone reading stuff like these discussions to not take anything they've read here and treat it with value.
If you are being sarcastic, you forgot a smilie of some kind.

If you are serious, I'll have to vehemently disagree with your comment. As the regulars on Carry Issues know, over the last six years everyone has worked hard to encourage participation by people who have a high degree of knowledge about the various topics associated with carrying for self defense. They often have different viewpoints, but those viewpoints can and do apply to different members of the Carry community. We do always recommend people evaluate their own circumstances before applying what they read to their personal carry habits.

If someones opinion or interpretation is wrong, such as running contrary to the law, or applying it will place someone else in danger or jeopardy, that is quickly pointed out.

I do not know what factual basis you have for imploring "anyone reading stuff like these discussions to not take anything they've read here and treat it with value."

If you'd like to tell me via PM, please do. But, let's not take this thread any further off track than it is.

Let's all get back on topic.

Oh, this part is good...
Quote:
Read, know, memorize, and be able to cite the local laws in your jurisdiction before walking out of the house with a gun - and do the same before traveling to a different jurisdiction. Ignorance of the law or "I read it on Glock Talk" won't save you when you have silver bracelets placed on you.

Old 09-01-2012, 23:29   #245
Schlitz

Um, there was 0 sarcasm.

I don't care how tight an internet community is, everyone is still anonymous (to an extent) and their information shared should be taken with a grain of salt. Knowing, reading the laws for yourself, and being able to cite them is on YOU.

If you actually treat information read on an internet forum with value without doing any research yourself you are going to find yourself in trouble one day. These forums are great for debating and exchange information/sources of where info came from, but until you read the statutes of your jurisdiction yourself and any case law that applies you WILL find yourself in a hole.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:36   #246
Magnus2131
Glock Gimp

Quote:
Pocket clips (folding knives) and pouches aren't grey.
Don't see too many people these days that don't have some kind of pocket clip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
And then gone and stuffed the gun up the ass of the Hajji bastard that shot me!
"RIP Jeff (23Skidoo)" and our Silent_Runner. 129,520
Magnus2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:34   #247
SCmasterblaster

This is a great, informative thread!
Old 12-20-2012, 12:37   #248
Lone Wolf8634
Misanthrope

I'm a little late to this party.

If you see me in public you would never suspect that I carry, or that I'm even aware there are other people around me. My wife says that I look single minded and focused on what I'm doing. My supervisor at work swore I was oblivious to everything going on around me when we first worked together, now she knows better. I just seem to give off an air that I'm not paying attention. Conversations with people who don't know me can be awkward.

It's actually caused me trouble my whole life, I've tried to learn to appear more engaged but it just doesn't work. The hell of it is I can usually tell you who is in my "zone" (varies with situation) and what they're doing, what they're wearing and a general description, and repeat the conversation we were having that you didn't think I was paying attention to.

I think the reason that I'm so observant is that I'm very easy to startle. Ever since I can remember I've been one of those jumpy people that everyone thinks is so funny, you know the ones, ya sneak up on them and whisper "Boo" from ten feet behind them and they jump like you stuck a cattle prod in their backside? Yeah, thats me. What everyone else finds so amusing I hate with a passion. It happened so often that I just learned how to observe my surroundings, place myself where I can't be snuck up on from behind, or at least scan my blind spots to avoid the adrenaline dump and the fight or flight reaction I have to it. And I've been doing it for so long that (I'm told) I actually look like I'm completely in condition white. It still happens, couple of guys at work think its the height of humor to lay in wait for me, just to see me have a heart attack. Although they have learned to be out of arms reach when they do it.

If you add that to how I dress, which most here would say "SLOB", I like sweatpants, their comfortable and I can move in them, I also like plain t-shirts in dark colors. My idea of playing dress up is 501's, and a solid color button up shirt with c'boy boots. I can make a G17 disappear. In the summer I have a Kangaroo shoulder rig, a MS VMII and a belly band for carry, in the winter I have all those plus a DeSantis shoulder rig that disappears in my heavy Columbia coat. Although I'm looking to replace that with an Under Taker from High Noon.

I actually think I may be a bit too "grey".

Ironically, the place where I would look like I am carrying is the one place I cannot. Our uniform consists of a Polo and black pants, and I found the ones that work best for me are the 5.11 covert khakis, add that to the Danner boots and the radio with the shoulder mic and I look like a regular mall ninja!!!

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
Lone Wolf8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 17:50   #249
TRPguy

It almost sound like you are suggesting not to carry a folding knife. Unless you are meaning to carry it all the way in the pocket?
TRPguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:54   #250
cgjane

Quote:
This. Concealed is that, Concealed.

It bugs the crap out of me when I see those WHO CLEARLY PRINT.

Must be compensating for something.

Last edited by cgjane; 01-21-2013 at 08:54..
cgjane is offline   Reply With Quote