Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:52   #1
emjei

Glock 26 vs Kahr CW9 .. For a WOMAN

Guys

My girlfriend is buying her first gun

She shot my G26 and liked it but...she is in love with the Kahr since its slimmer ....I told her Glocks are a war tank but you know how women are...lol

Any opinions ??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
emjei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:57   #2
zorro49

Has she/you taken a look at the SW shield? It is similar in width to the Kahr and IMO is a better choice. zorro49
zorro49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:27   #3
tonyparson

My wife loves her G26. Out of the two I would go with the G26. My wife looked at the M&P shield and the first thing she said was if I needed to pull my gun for anything the last thing I need to worry about was a manual safety...
Old 09-01-2012, 07:56   #4
emjei

I havent look into SW...keep suggestions coming

Glock26-KahrP380-AmericanExpress
Old 09-01-2012, 07:58   #5
Lampshade

Has she racked the slide on the Kahr yet?
Lampshade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:10   #6
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampshade View Post
Taken one apart?

How about the same two questions on the shield?

My father, who is quite elderly, has a CW, and a CM, whichever one is smaller, he has issues, with both the take down, and chambering with it. I haven't even seen a shield, just heard the take down for some reason, wasn't simplistic. Again just what I heard.

Nothing wrong with any of the above mentioned, but if this is going to be shot, a lot, my vote would go for the Glock G26. Again just my opinion, and you did mention she liked it!
Old 09-01-2012, 08:15   #7
NucPhysics

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjei View Post
I havent look into SW...keep suggestions coming

The M&P Shield is definitely worth looking at for your wife. If you ultimately decide against it because of the safety, then that is fine. I myself like the safety for my CCW gun. The chances are low, not zero, but still low that I would ever need to draw my gun thus I am more comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber with the safety.

I have hunted for years so taking off a safety to shoot is second nature to me, The Shield has an excellent safety on it - well placed with a positive click.

Safeties are something everyone has a different opinion on. For my home defense guns - absolutely no safety. For my CCW - a safety, as long as it's a good one - I actually like. Again though, everyone's opinion varies based on need and experience.
NucPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:19   #8
emjei

I own a G26 and a KahrP380...thats the only experience she has ...

My vote is for the G26 but she consider the G too thick and heavy for future EDC....at least she doesnt like the LCP or Taurus ...lol

Old 09-01-2012, 08:20   #9
FLglockdude

M&P9c with the small backstrap.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
FLglockdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:32   #10
oldguynewglock

She will decide, you will say "yes honey, what ever you want"!
oldguynewglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:37   #11
cciman

In the end it does not matter that she likes the Kahr over the Glock. Triggers are different, less ammo capacity- make sure she is aware of that.

GF, not wife, is also an important consideration. Are you paying for it or is she? Do you want her to have it, or does she want you to get her one? She is unlikely to give it back.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:40   #12
Redstate

Let her get the one she wants. It is her hand that has to fit well. I have a G26 and a Kahr P9 Covert. I use the Kahr for summer work attire carry. I thought the grip was too thin and added a Hogue Handall to it, and it is now super comfortable. In my opinion, the Kahrs are high quality pistols. But in the end, I like my G26 better.
Redstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:41   #13
emjei

Is just a girlfriend...and she is paying for it...lol

She is laughing right now...haha

Old 09-01-2012, 10:39   #14
stolenphot0
RTF2 Addict

I am assuming she has shot both? My 9 year old daughter has ran a 26 and rather enjoyed it. 9mm was still a little hot for her, but she had fun. Never shot a Kahr before.

I have heard on the internet, so take it for just that, that the Kahrs are not made to be shot a lot and not built to last. Again I have NO experience with them at ALL. Just something I read on the internet a few months back when I was thinking about getting one.
stolenphot0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:52   #15
Photoman642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampshade View Post

I was at the range yesterday and the woman in the lane next to my was shooting a few different semi-autos. I didn't think she was going to be able to get that Kahr slide back but she did...eventually. She then shot a sub-compact Glock and a compact Glock with MUCH better results. Looked like a G26 and a G19 but I'm not sure.

The point is... What looks or feels right to her might not be the best option if she can't operate it well.

p.s. Don't forget the small revolver option. Many women shoot and operate them better than a small semi-auto.
Photoman642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:27   #16
sig357fan

I was in a similar situation earlier this year with my wife. We looked at and shot several different makes/models but when she handled the Gen 4 G26 she said “this is it”.

I paid close attention to how she handled her new G26 on our first range outing, seeing she was transitioning from a revolver, she did have some difficulties with racking the slide and using the slide release when reloading a new mag, these issues were overcame with a 14 lbs. RSA and teaching her to “push/pull” the slide at chest high. In addition the RSA I added a 3.5 lbs. connector and a 6 lbs. trigger spring, bringing the trigger pull down to about 4 lbs. which is close to what her revolver is at.

She gets more proficient/accurate at each range outing. With about 1000 rounds of light reloads down range, she handles her G26 quite well, no hesitation with reloading, racking the slide and bringing the weapon onto target, she understands and uses the trigger reset and is able to hold a 6” group at 7 yards.

Next outing we will start using standard velocity ball ammo, a few hundred rounds and we will start using defense loads, I’m sure she will do fine, she has shot handguns from a very young age but this is her first semi-auto bigger than a 22 lr.
The point of this was to show how she picked her weapon, but I was able to make it more “user friendly” for her while she was learning to use it, that is probably the main reason for the G26 or a Glock in general, easily customized to an individual’s needs, and easily returned to stock if needed.

Just my $0.02 worth,

Sig357fan
sig357fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 13:41   #17
AquaHull

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolenphot0 View Post
I am assuming she has shot both? My 9 year old daughter has ran a 26 and rather enjoyed it. 9mm was still a little hot for her, but she had fun. Never shot a Kahr before.

I have heard on the internet, so take it for just that, that the Kahrs are not made to be shot a lot and not built to last. Again I have NO experience with them at ALL. Just something I read on the internet a few months back when I was thinking about getting one.
It's still out there, I joined KahrTalk a couple days ago and found out. I was looking at a secondhand unfired CW9, and from what I read the warranty would come in handy, iff Kahr would only transfer it, and they won't. I do have 60 pages of material printed out on how to make them run though.
AquaHull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 17:34   #18
hsprincipal

I have both. My wife prefers the 26.
G23, G21, G22, G26, G17, G27, G20, G19, G34, G30s, G17L, G42, S&W 1911sc, Ruger SR1911, S&W New .38 Bodyguard, Neos, Nano, PPQ .40, Sig 2022 9mm, Victory model .38 S&W, Colt LE6920, PPS, M9, 870, S&W 637, CW9, RO 9mm, 590a1, CM9, VP9, USP9, CM9, AT47
hsprincipal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 18:03   #19
scosgt

I had the MK9. I really wanted to like it. Had to trade it off for a G27 EXO.
The first rule of a gunfight is bring a gun.
Rule #1a is make sure the gun works.
The Kahr did not. End of story.
scosgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 23:50   #20
Gokyo

kahr P9

PM9 are a little to small to get a good grip. The recoil spring is fairly strong on these too.
G26 have a short grip and it is fat.

As for the take down pin on a Kahr is it takes a little getting used to but the edge of a counter top works really nicely.

In fact I bought my wife has a P9. My brothers wife has a C9, My dad has a C9, I have a kahr too.

I love my Glocks be sure. But for a first pistol for a wife I think a kahr would be hard to beat.

Courage is grace under pressure
Gokyo is offline   Reply With Quote