SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:18   #241
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoops dude View Post
Most of the time the guys I have made just look like pmc's. tactical pants, boots (insert brand here), web belt etc etc.
I have worm bdu pants a lot for years because of comfort and I have had no problems yet. But the thing that matters most is to relax, make sure your weapon is hidden from view. I walk right up to leo and chat with the firearm on me.
I saw a FBI agent getting gas one night and he was checking his firearm in his glass. I told him "nice gin"...I told him I saw it when getting out of the car and that does seem to be the hardest part for most people. So when I get out of the car I check the area visually and check my attire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 17:12   #242
RussP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlitz View Post
  • like florida, i don't think texas has a law that references printing.

• Tex gv. Code ann. 411.171 : Texas statutes - section 411.171: Definitions
    • (3) "concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.

• It seems printing would be okay in texas -

• so long as you're not wearing spandex that shows the complete outline of a gun...if you're wearing spandex around the gun.

• But printing under a t shirt seems to fit the definition of concealed handgun per the texas statutes.

• The grip of your gun poking out of your shirt can look exactly like some of these giant smart phones people are carrying around today in a cell phone holster/case/clip/whatever they call them.

• I have "been around" for a while now, in

• it's always been my understanding

• that printing is when your gun is poking your clothing out of it's natural place in one way or another.

• If printing was straight up showing the gun's exact outline then it wouldn't be an issue because no one who is sane goes out in a spandex suit with a glock underneath.

• Printing would never be discussed on gun forums if this was the case.
  • To clear this up

• i used spandex as an example.

• Carrying under spandex would be clearly identifiable to the casual observer -not okay!
      • The butt of your gun poking your polo cotton shirt is not clearly identifiable, but it is printing.
Let me clear this up.

Like many aspects of carrying for self defense, the issue of "printing" must be viewed on a sliding scale using the effects of differing state laws, differing local customs, and last, the carrier's knowledge and understanding of these laws and customs.

What is good and acceptable in one state, one jurisdiction, may not be so in others. The observation skill of the "reasonable person" also comes into play as that too differs from person to person.

How much of the grip printing is enough to identify the object as a firearm? That again depends on the observation skills of the "reasonable person".

The person carrying should know the law and local customs very, very well before testing another person's theory about what degree of "printing" is acceptable.

As I've said before, what is good and right for one person may be deadly wrong for another.

Everyone, make your, your choices wisely...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 09-01-2012 at 17:13..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 17:47   #243
Schlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Let me clear this up.

Like many aspects of carrying for self defense, the issue of "printing" must be viewed on a sliding scale using the effects of differing state laws, differing local customs, and last, the carrier's knowledge and understanding of these laws and customs.

What is good and acceptable in one state, one jurisdiction, may not be so in others. The observation skill of the "reasonable person" also comes into play as that too differs from person to person.

How much of the grip printing is enough to identify the object as a firearm? That again depends on the observation skills of the "reasonable person".

The person carrying should know the law and local customs very, very well before testing another person's theory about what degree of "printing" is acceptable.

As I've said before, what is good and right for one person may be deadly wrong for another.

Everyone, make your, your choices wisely...

I would implore anyone reading stuff like these discussions to not take anything they've read here and treat it with value. Read, know, memorize, and be able to cite the local laws in your jurisdiction before walking out of the house with a gun - and do the same before traveling to a different jurisdiction. Ignorance of the law or "I read it on Glock Talk" won't save you when you have silver bracelets placed on you.
Schlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 21:29   #244
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
I would implore anyone reading stuff like these discussions to not take anything they've read here and treat it with value.
If you are being sarcastic, you forgot a smilie of some kind.

If you are serious, I'll have to vehemently disagree with your comment. As the regulars on Carry Issues know, over the last six years everyone has worked hard to encourage participation by people who have a high degree of knowledge about the various topics associated with carrying for self defense. They often have different viewpoints, but those viewpoints can and do apply to different members of the Carry community. We do always recommend people evaluate their own circumstances before applying what they read to their personal carry habits.

If someones opinion or interpretation is wrong, such as running contrary to the law, or applying it will place someone else in danger or jeopardy, that is quickly pointed out.

I do not know what factual basis you have for imploring "anyone reading stuff like these discussions to not take anything they've read here and treat it with value."

If you'd like to tell me via PM, please do. But, let's not take this thread any further off track than it is.

Let's all get back on topic.

Oh, this part is good...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
Read, know, memorize, and be able to cite the local laws in your jurisdiction before walking out of the house with a gun - and do the same before traveling to a different jurisdiction. Ignorance of the law or "I read it on Glock Talk" won't save you when you have silver bracelets placed on you.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 23:29   #245
Schlitz

Um, there was 0 sarcasm.

I don't care how tight an internet community is, everyone is still anonymous (to an extent) and their information shared should be taken with a grain of salt. Knowing, reading the laws for yourself, and being able to cite them is on YOU.

If you actually treat information read on an internet forum with value without doing any research yourself you are going to find yourself in trouble one day. These forums are great for debating and exchange information/sources of where info came from, but until you read the statutes of your jurisdiction yourself and any case law that applies you WILL find yourself in a hole.
Schlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:36   #246
Magnus2131
Glock Gimp

Quote:
Pocket clips (folding knives) and pouches aren't grey.
Don't see too many people these days that don't have some kind of pocket clip.
And then gone and stuffed the gun up the ass of the Hajji bastard that shot me!
"RIP Jeff (23Skidoo)" and our Silent_Runner. 129,520
Magnus2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:34   #247
SCmasterblaster

This is a great, informative thread!
Old 12-20-2012, 13:37   #248
Lone Wolf8634
:):

I'm a little late to this party.

If you see me in public you would never suspect that I carry, or that I'm even aware there are other people around me. My wife says that I look single minded and focused on what I'm doing. My supervisor at work swore I was oblivious to everything going on around me when we first worked together, now she knows better. I just seem to give off an air that I'm not paying attention. Conversations with people who don't know me can be awkward.

It's actually caused me trouble my whole life, I've tried to learn to appear more engaged but it just doesn't work. The hell of it is I can usually tell you who is in my "zone" (varies with situation) and what they're doing, what they're wearing and a general description, and repeat the conversation we were having that you didn't think I was paying attention to.

I think the reason that I'm so observant is that I'm very easy to startle. Ever since I can remember I've been one of those jumpy people that everyone thinks is so funny, you know the ones, ya sneak up on them and whisper "Boo" from ten feet behind them and they jump like you stuck a cattle prod in their backside? Yeah, thats me. What everyone else finds so amusing I hate with a passion. It happened so often that I just learned how to observe my surroundings, place myself where I can't be snuck up on from behind, or at least scan my blind spots to avoid the adrenaline dump and the fight or flight reaction I have to it. And I've been doing it for so long that (I'm told) I actually look like I'm completely in condition white. It still happens, couple of guys at work think its the height of humor to lay in wait for me, just to see me have a heart attack. Although they have learned to be out of arms reach when they do it.

If you add that to how I dress, which most here would say "SLOB", I like sweatpants, their comfortable and I can move in them, I also like plain t-shirts in dark colors. My idea of playing dress up is 501's, and a solid color button up shirt with c'boy boots. I can make a G17 disappear. In the summer I have a Kangaroo shoulder rig, a MS VMII and a belly band for carry, in the winter I have all those plus a DeSantis shoulder rig that disappears in my heavy Columbia coat. Although I'm looking to replace that with an Under Taker from High Noon.

I actually think I may be a bit too "grey".

Ironically, the place where I would look like I am carrying is the one place I cannot. Our uniform consists of a Polo and black pants, and I found the ones that work best for me are the 5.11 covert khakis, add that to the Danner boots and the radio with the shoulder mic and I look like a regular mall ninja!!!

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
Lone Wolf8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 18:50   #249
TRPguy

It almost sound like you are suggesting not to carry a folding knife. Unless you are meaning to carry it all the way in the pocket?
TRPguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:54   #250
cgjane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Printing is NOT "okay in Texas."
This. Concealed is that, Concealed.

It bugs the crap out of me when I see those WHO CLEARLY PRINT.

Must be compensating for something.

Last edited by cgjane; 01-21-2013 at 09:54..
cgjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:56   #251
PaulTNaples

Concealment starts with making others think that there is nothing there when they look at you. Nothing to draw attention to yourself, your clothing, your attitude. In a former life, I had the occasion to use cammo sticks in various colors. The trick is not having a straight line. Nature abhors a straight line. With that in mind. Wear clothes that cause your weapon to blend. In my case, striped dress shirts when using an IWB. Suit or Sport jacket when using OWB (preferred) Don't engage strangers with your eyes. Look at them, not into them. Scan with your eyes, not your head. (practice) Melt into the crowd, don't stand out from the crowd.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 13:13   #252
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2afreedom View Post
Yeah a guy with a Glock hat, photographer's vest, fannypack, and 5.11 pants is really not doing much to conceal anything. I don't think I have one piece of clothing with a firearms logo on it and I certainly don't have any 5.11 anything. Why someone wants to wear all those flashing lights that scream, "I have a gun!" is beyond me. Concealed is more than just not having a Desert Eagle strapped to your hip.
Nobody but CCWers and IDPA shooters and about half of cops recognize that any of that stuff indicates you have a gun. You can put Colt and S&W and anything else all over your 5.11 vest and non-shooters, including criminals, won't get it.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 14:23   #253
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuggett View Post
Criminals very often make their mark based off the actions of their target. I wouldn't say that being balls out tactical is the right way to roll, but mimicking someone who is clueless isn't the right move either.

Walking upright, having a purpose to what you do and generally being confident and aware are all traits that can significantly decrease the chance of a need to defend yourself in the first place.

I understand the thread is about how not to be made, but purposely mimicking a person in condition white, where the only person who knows you have a clue what is going on around you, is you (mimic but be in a heightened level) is going a bit far in my opinion.

I make an effort to conceal effectively and don't wear obvious clues so I don't stand out. However I also agree with dnuggett quite a lot. Looking like you are paying attention imo says you are not an easy mark and are more likely to be passed by when a BG is looking for someone to rob. Maybe paying attention is an indicator for further scrutiny, but further scrutiny should yield no bulges or obvious signs and keep them guessing.

Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 17:58   #254
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Nobody but CCWers and IDPA shooters and about half of cops recognize that any of that stuff indicates you have a gun. You can put Colt and S&W and anything else all over your 5.11 vest and non-shooters, including criminals, won't get it.
Might as well cut down on those "in the know" anyway. Just because they are fellow CCW or IDPA, doesn't meant that they should know either.

One of the pieces of advice I got, that is also an internet meme, is: When in combat, try to look unimportant, the enemy may be low on ammunition.

Do I have tacticool stuff. Yes. I even have pants that have tourniquets in the legs at two different levels. I bought them as a joke for under $20 on clearance, but they would work. Would I pull them out and put them on after the 19th zombie I killed at the front door? Maybe. Maybe even after the third one.

It's OK to have tacti-cool stuff, and there is a proper place and time to wear that stuff. I wear multi-pocketed pants when out at the ranch hunting. No one looks twice, as most of us are active duty, Veterans or family members of veterans. No one blinks twice at an AR 10 or AR 15 either.

But in the mall, let the security guard look the coolest.

Carry Issues

Especially if you have all that stuff because your favorite action figure has it.......

Geardo
. Google it.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 22:38   #255
FloorPoor

Good thread, subscribed.
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 22:09   #256
TXPamIAm

-----

Last edited by TXPamIAm; 01-30-2014 at 00:18..
TXPamIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 15:37   #257
Comedian

How about if everything am wearing is gray?
Walther PPS 9mm
Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 17:45   #258
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPamIAm View Post
In TX if you can see an outline, it's not concealed by definition and a ticketable offense that will cost your CCW license (CHL here). In short, it can't be detectable. Period. It's done all the time here. It's a matter of carrying for your frame, and keeping clothes in mind.
I wonder if the same rule applies if a shoplifter puts a toaster under their shirt in Texas.
Old 02-24-2013, 18:10   #259
GLOCK19FTW

I have a Team GLOCK visor that I occasionally wear in public (whenever I decide to "do" my hair that day, at least)

I'm sure people know what it is/what it stands for/what it means, but I'm not worried about it.

If anything it just lets the bad guys know for a fact you aren't the perfect victim they are hoping for, without them having to "size you up" and guess if you're carrying.

In public, my carry position is only accessible to me (about halfway between 1 and 2-o-clock) - I just don't feel comfortable having it at 3-o-clock (directly on my hip) where someone could attempt to grab it from behind. Hell no.. not happening.

I am glad that printing isn't illegal in this state though, because just today as I was exiting the movie store, the wind was blowing like crazy.

I believe TWC said it was 15-20 MPH winds.

It pushed my shirt to the point where you could see the entire outline of the pistol.

It was 68 degrees today, so obviously I only wore a t-shirt. Lil bit harder to completely conceal that way.

I'd hate to lose my permit because of the wind. lol

...( _)
/"""""\======░
/"""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 02-24-2013 at 18:12..
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 13:15   #260
FireMission

I'm not grey, and I don't really care. I'm a veteran, and proud of it. As such, I often wear t-shirts/caps/jackets with flags/unit crests/slogans or what-have-you. I also wear "tacticool" pants and boots fairly often... not only do I like their utility, they are generally pretty comfortable to me. I think if you REALLY believe that folks are that observant of your dress, you are seriously overestimating the powers of observation of most folks around you. Now, granted, I live in a military town, so much of my apparel blends in better, but even when I haven't, people just don't notice. "I" often notice, but I'm looking. I've seen people open carry in public... I don't care, but I usually observe the people around, and in general, either no one notices, or if they do, they just don't care.

My main focus of self-defense is against your garden-variety thug. I highly doubt they would notice if I was wearing a Glock cap. Now, if I have to go up against some ex-Spetsnaz black-ops badguys, it might be an issue, but in the real world... not so much. I've been CCing for 15 years now and have never had anyone so much as raise an eyebrow at me.
FireMission is offline   Reply With Quote