Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:13   #21
Jim Watson

Unless the Netherlands has more of a cottage industry in 1911s than I think, I would go with the CZ and avoid any kind of economy model 1911.
Old 02-25-2012, 17:08   #22
GSX-MAN

We don't have a cottage industry in 1911's overhere, but we do have some pretty good gunsmiths. Rebuilding a match grade firearm from an old 1911 should not be a problem, but it'll cost.

I might try a Sig Sauer. Itīs a reliable company, and you can leave building weapons to the Germans.

Okay, clear, consistent message on the Taurus. Wonīt buy one. Ever.

European racegun:
1911 Forums
Rimfire club member #106
GSX-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:49   #23
Lew-G17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX-MAN View Post
Not sure if they are still available new, but I know a second hand one:
1911 Forums

He wants about $620 for it.
This looks like a good compromise of cost and quality. You can then tune it to your specific likes as you have funds available and you will have the backing of one of the best firearm companies around.

Lew-G17
Lew-G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 16:19   #24
GSX-MAN

Update:

I've sent in a permit request for a used CZ Shadow. When the request is granted, I still ned to get rid of my S&W 5906.

The good news is, someone offered to trade it for a Norinco 1911. I think I will do that, and make a project out of the 1911. What parts should I change first?
Rimfire club member #106
Old 09-10-2012, 12:15   #25
Spats McGee

Quote:
. . . .I might try a Sig Sauer. Itīs a reliable company, and you can leave building weapons to the Germans.

. . . .

That wouldn't have been half as funny if it weren't true.
Spats McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 13:33   #26
GSX-MAN

Only drawback: they only really work when you're invading Poland.
Rimfire club member #106
Old 09-11-2012, 14:52   #27
frankemp

How about moving to America? You wouldn't have to worry about the limit, and guns are cheaper here!
frankemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 19:27   #28
jstanfield103

I have a Taurus PT1911SS and it is a good gun, I have had 0 problems with mine. I also own a Remington R1 1911 like it even better than the taurus. I also own a RIA compact, well made and very good. The Tarus and the RIA both have life time warranties/ the Remington only has a 2 year warranty. I trust all of them and no complaints with any of them.

Here is the Taurus and Remington.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums
jstanfield103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 14:57   #29
GSX-MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankemp View Post
How about moving to America?
Well, a greencard would be the first problem. But apart from that, I really like living in Europe. We have beer that doesn't taste like piss

But let's see where we end up. I work for a multinational company and America is a growing market. But I would prefer Scandinavia.
Rimfire club member #106
Old 09-12-2012, 15:06   #30
GSX-MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post

Here is the Taurus and Remington.
Both look excellent. I got the permit for my CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow (*******it, why the long name?) yesterday, and I picked it up tonight. (its 23.00 around here)

Feels great, looks great for a used pistol and I'm going to have a much better result with it than with my Smith & Wesson.

Now I only need to decide if I want to trade that pistol for a Norinco 1911.
Rimfire club member #106
Old 09-13-2012, 06:42   #31
Roger1079

I have 2 friends with PT1911's. They both have one in 9mm and one in .45ACP. The one buddy has had zero issues and couldnt be happier. The other buddy had to send both pistols back. One was for a sight problem, and the other was for a trigger and feed ramp issue.

I will say though that customer service took care of everything for him in short order with no questions asked. They addressed all of his issues and then sent the pistols back with a few additional upgrades and magazines for his trouble. Taurus customer service is top notch. Also, for the record, I watched a guy at the range with a $3000 Nighthawk 1911 pick up my friends Taurus and shoot a nice tight group at 10 yards. The next words out of his mouth were "You paid how much for this?!?!"

Every pistol manufacturer can make duds, some just more often than others. I bought a Kimber Raptor II a year ago to the tune of $1300. It shot flawlessly from round 1 and is currently near 1000. A few weeks ago, I bought a Kimber Super Carry Pro for $1200, and it is on it's way back to Kimber now. It is ejecting brass at nearly a 90 degree sweep and two to three feet in height difference. Some brass ends up practically falling out when the slide cycles, and other rounds hit me in the forehead with enough force to leave a cut. The pistol was also experiencing failures to return to battery without a push from my thumb.

After speaking with them, they said it is not right, even for a pistol not completely broken in and asked me the general questions. Multiple different mags, multiple types of factory ball ammo, and no modifications. That was all they needed to hear to send me a shipping label.

Being out of the country though, and everything else being said, returning a Taurus to the factory may be a bit more problematic, so it may not be the best choice. The CZ may fit the bill a bit better. I will say this though.

Last edited by Roger1079; 09-13-2012 at 06:48..
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 15:52   #32
GSX-MAN

I expect Taurus after sales to be non-existent overhere. I might as well go for the Norinco and change whatever comes to mind and still be cheaper off than buying a Taurus and then customizing it.
Rimfire club member #106
Old 09-15-2012, 06:54   #33
Roger1079

Quote:
I expect Taurus after sales to be non-existent overhere. I might as well go for the Norinco and change whatever comes to mind and still be cheaper off than buying a Taurus and then customizing it.
I would expect the same being that Tuarus is a 30 minute drive from me in South FL. The point I was trying to make is that Taurus makes an excellent product a good majority of the time. I would not buy a new one being out of the country. If I lived in Europe and was considering a PT1911 it would have to be used and proven to be off of their assembly line on a good day.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:14   #34
GSX-MAN

Fair enough.

Since the trade-offer is for a Norinco, is there anyone with hands on experience who has tips on what to look at when test-firing it?
Rimfire club member #106
Old 09-15-2012, 12:30   #35
ArmoryDoc

Feed ramp modification is the biggest potential. Test firing is your best bet. A box of 50 HP rounds. Norinco's are great guns.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:21   #36
GSX-MAN

I don't think I will be shooting much hollow point. They're expensive and I only shoot paper targets.

But thanks for the tip, the feedramp might also be an issue with other ammo, such as flatnose.
Rimfire club member #106

Last edited by GSX-MAN; 09-16-2012 at 09:22..
Old 09-17-2012, 15:06   #37
GSX-MAN

If I like test shooting the 1911, my ideas about customizing the pistol are:

-STI Trigger Long Polymer Black
-Black Commander-style hammer
-Black STI Beavertail
-Tighter barrel bushing
-Wilson Combat snag free sights, 3 dot
-Black Ergo grips or fingergrooved rubber grips

The slide will be Gunkoted black, the frame Olive Drab.

What do you think?
Rimfire club member #106
Old 09-17-2012, 20:47   #38
F106 Fan

One thing that I like about the Sig 1911 is that it will feed 200 gr LSWC without having to modify the feed ramp. It also feeds 230 gr FMJ and 230 gr LRN.

The gun just shoots! I was out doing a little action pistol practice yesterday and, as my grandson was out playing baseball, I finally got a chance to shoot the Sig. I like the Sig a lot more than the Colt Government Combat I had been shooting. I really like the grips! When you grab a handful, the gun stays put.

Standard mag capacity is 8+1 which is about what you could expect from a single stack 1911. Other magazines will fit.

The only problem, and I consider it minor, is that the gun won't fit any 1911 holsters. About the only holster that works is the Sig SERPA style. But it works well...

Richard
Old 09-19-2012, 09:45   #39
Timken500

First I read the whole post. You want a gun that has a lot of options and is affordable. I love my Ruger SR1911 it has all the options you are looking for and is very good fit and finish and is made here in the States. The Remington is a good gun for the price as well. Don't own a Remington but it has all the features your looking for as well at a fair price. I believe that is what you are looking for. If you want to do some gunsmithing an put nice parts in a good starter I would recommend a IAC Regent 1911. I took one of these and learned how to do everything on a 1911. Great fit and finish. It is out of Turkey. Just some things to think about without being a salesman for a perticular gun.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:10   #40
F106 Fan

Quote:
I don't think I will be shooting much hollow point. They're expensive and I only shoot paper targets.

But thanks for the tip, the feedramp might also be an issue with other ammo, such as flatnose.
I like the 200 gr LSWC for punching holes. These bullets feed perfectly in a Sig 1911 and a Colt Government Combat - both guns are box stock.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...ckages_of_1000_

Richard