Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-19-2012, 13:21   #1
ZO6Vettever

Has anybody tried wax or glue gun bullets?

Has anybody tried wax or glue gun bullets for at home draw and shoot or point and shoot drills in the garage or basement? I watch a bunch of videos on You Tube and it looks like a good way to train. What do y'all think?

Remember, we're all on the same side!

Army Vet Dec 1965 - Dec 1971
ZO6Vettever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 14:56   #2
Keoking

Wax, glue, or lead, wouldn't the cops still show up and beat your ass for shooting it in your house?
Springfield Loaded (Black SS)
Sig P220 Stainless Elite
Keoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 15:21   #3
ZO6Vettever

It's just a primer, no powder, they are as loud as a kids cap gun. One guy was accurate out to about 30 yards. They penetrate a paper target, cardboard box, (one side) and get caught in a couple old towels in the box or a carpet backstop. The glue gun bullets are reuseable and the wax ones are not. Watch a couple You Tube Videos and see.

Remember, we're all on the same side!

Army Vet Dec 1965 - Dec 1971

Last edited by ZO6Vettever; 09-19-2012 at 15:28..
ZO6Vettever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 15:27   #4
Keoking

My wife would still beat my ass for (quote) making my kid stupid by contaminating my house with lead (end quote).
Springfield Loaded (Black SS)
Sig P220 Stainless Elite
Keoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 21:24   #5
larry_minn
Silver Membership

As said you still want to have good air movement. I recall more lead is normally released from primer then bullet.
As said by most city laws. A primer fired gun is treated as live ammo discharged. Heck on news a kid was in trouble for shooting airsoft in his parents garage. Treated as if he fired shotgun in street.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 21:50   #6
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever View Post
It's just a primer, no powder, they are as loud as a kids cap gun.
"Just a primer" is still ear-ringingly loud. Or so I heard.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:29   #7
bigleaf

I used to push a primered shell through a block of Gulfwax paraffin to shoot through my K frame 38. Delightful. But outside. Not in the house. The primer smoke is full of lead, and your lungs and blood are just waiting to absorb it. Don't shoot 'em in the house. It will actually make your kid (and you) stupid.

Really.
That's all that tyranny is: it's not in a personality; it's a set of circumstances. It's being trapped with your enemy in a limited space– a country or a family– where the balance of power between you is unequal and the weaker one has no recourse.
bigleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:40   #8
larry_minn
Silver Membership

I bought a package of rubber bullets for .38. Really didn't care for them.
Regards sounds. I recall a loud shot. Friend had a target .22lr that had TONS of work done on it. We are in his basement gun room and he wants me to try the trigger. He holds up a .22lr case (no bullet/clearly not a blank as I saw it from end) He loads it into gun/hands it to me. I said something like "you are sure its not loaded?" Then "If it is you will have to buy your wife a new washer as I didn't load it" I TOUCHED trigger and gun went off. Scream from upstairs/his wife comes running down/he isdang near falling out of his chair (until his wife got to him)
He had pulled the bullet/dumped powder so I was only primer. Dang it was loud. (and his wife did NOT get new washer that day)
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 17:33   #9
Unk

40 or so years ago my son and Ishot primer powered .38 Specials out of plastic cases, don't remember what the bullets were...maybe re-usable soft plastic wad cutters. Shot into a cardboard box in the the fireplace with a hanging doubled up towel to catch bullets.

We used to shoot a neighborhood .22 match in the basements during the Winter using my Ruger Standard pistol and a .22 bullet trap - 2-3 Dads + 3-4 kids. There were Medals for the winners..I might have one laying around.Fun, family bonding and lifelong gun safety lessons taught.

No eye or ear protection worn but then no one used such in those days.
Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:06   #10
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Have played around with wax bullets out of my BlackHawk .41. Put a few bars of wax into an old cake pan and melted it. Just slid the brass into the wax after it cools but is still soft. The depth of the wax in the pan will dictate the length of the slug.

Great fun for sure and also work good for poping grackles under the bird feeder in the back yard. Even with "just" a primer, the bullet packs a lot of punch and after finding some of them mushroomed in such a way that Hornady would be jealous, I think they'd leave one heck of a welt if you got popped by one. They are loud, and the smoke from the primers will stink up the house.

On a wheel gun you may get primer setback that will bind up the rotation of the cylinder. I sure did in the BlackHawk. Heard that drilling out the flash hole will help with the problem, but never gave it a try as I sure didn't ever want to get one with an oversized flash hole mixed up with the brass on the reloading bench.

Think they'd work for fast draw practice if you're into that, but be very careful. The wax bullets aren't a toy, but would be much more forgiving if you wing your leg practising.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:27   #11
Citroen

Speer Plastic bullets

Speer still sells plastic "practice" bullets that use only a Large Pistol primer for propellant. For .38/.357 they sell a "case" which is red - 50 to a box I think; the "bullet" is black and wadcutter like - also 50 to a box (again, from memory, might be just 25 per box). Midway sells these and I think Brownell's does too but you should check.

These work well; cut a nice hole in a target and, if you pack a cardboard box with old rags, you can recover the "bullet" and load it again. Accurate out to 7 yards.

Your reloading "kit" for this is an ice pick to remove the spent primer and a piece of wood to "seat" a replacement new primer.

Don't be fooled by the primer only power - you do not want to be shot with this round.

Works great in revolvers. For semi-autos Speer sells just the "bullet" part. You use a case of the proper caliber, drill out the flash hole as per the instructions from Speer and use your gun as a single shot practice gun.

I have no idea about "lead exposure" but I have used those rounds for many years in both my house, garage and basement. Noise is noticeable but not enough to require hearing protection. Eye protection is a must, however.

John
Charlotte, NC
Citroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:35   #12
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

As a kid I tried pulling the bullets out of .22 short and using airplane glue over the open powder end. Noisey, worked.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote