Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-13-2012, 18:03   #1241
cowboy1964

The dollar won't become "worthless" but it will continue to lose value, and probably at an accelerating pace though I'm not predicting hyperinflation. I suppose the good news is that any debts you have will also be priced in devalued dollars. Still, at this point (and going forward) I'd prefer to be debt-free as much as possible.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 09-13-2012 at 18:04..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 18:13   #1242
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
The dollar won't become "worthless" but it will continue to lose value, and probably at an accelerating pace though I'm not predicting hyperinflation. I suppose the good news is that any debts you have will also be priced in devalued dollars. Still, at this point (and going forward) I'd prefer to be debt-free as much as possible.
I think that is the only....Silver lining....

But without hyper inflation it's not like a roll of rounds are going to be able to pay off a house anywhere in the 6-figure range.

And the world population as a whole seems dead set against using PM's as money in favor of unbacked paper. So I don't know if returning the the Gold standard is anywhere in the realm of possibility.

I'm just waiting to see $20 loaves of bread and $50 gallons of milk. Again, not exactly hyper inflation but can you imagine?!? I mean accounting for inflation over the last century...maybe you can...

In any case, I broke out a 10oz Engelhard to fondle tonight.

-Emt1581

Last edited by emt1581; 09-13-2012 at 18:14..
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 18:21   #1243
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCity View Post
Forget the margin thing. I doubt if it's relevant anymore. The important thing is that QE3 is inflationary, dollar negative, metals positive. From here on out, Quantitative Easing is the only tool the Fed has in their box. We may well see QE4, QE5, QE6, ...etc.

It's not the end (of the dollar), but maybe we can see it from here.

SC
Agreed. We announced to the world today that our intention is to print our way out of this thing we are in and they have been taking it for granted that our money is stable. Well we are not even hiding it anymore so metals and other currencies should do well against the dollar until this runs it's course. Those teachers in Chicago are going to need a much larger raise!

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 18:46   #1244
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post

Is this really the beginning of the end?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Since we are in the S/P section, yes, this is the beginning of the end.

For the 7483929 time.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 22:36   #1245
wjv

Gold is at 1776. . . . . .
An Omen?

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 22:43   #1246
Catshooter

No, not an omen, just a result. QE 3 is upon us.

Cat
Old 09-19-2012, 07:14   #1247
walt cowan

silver is under valued by at least 45 times the current price.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:27   #1248
rwrjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt cowan View Post
Sources?

A man is none the less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years. --Lysander Spooner
rwrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:56   #1249
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Uh-huh

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:59   #1250
Catshooter

Quote:
Isn't that just a great theory? I love it.

Be nice if it actually works out that way.

Cat
Old 09-19-2012, 18:36   #1251
cowboy1964

I laugh whenever I hear "$20,000 gold!" or "$2000 silver!". You can't search YouTube without seeing those all over the place.

If that happens then gas will be $200 a gallon, etc. The real purchasing power of gold/silver is fairly constant over time, give or take.

Survival/Preparedness Forum

Last edited by cowboy1964; 09-19-2012 at 18:36..
Old 09-19-2012, 19:21   #1252
BudMan5

In 1964, silver was at #1.21 per troy ounce. Aroy ounce of siklver could make 5 1964 quarters (90%) silver.

A gallon of gas cost 25 cents in 1964.

Now, 48 years later, a gallon of gas costs $4.02 and silver is valued at $34.66 per troy ounce. It would take one troy ounce toi make five 1964 quarters (still after all these years) and a single 1964 quarter is valued at $6.24. In other words or in another way of looking at it, that sqame 1964 quarter would now buy buy one and a half gallons of gas.

tangible value is just that, it's tangible, while fiat currency is soon to be worthless.

I am converting my worthless fiat currency in my savings account into silver and gold as fast as possible. Not as an investment but because i want to transport whatever wealth i have today into whatever replaces the dollar sometime in the future.
Old 09-19-2012, 19:39   #1253
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan5 View Post
I am converting my worthless fiat currency in my savings account into silver and gold as fast as possible. Not as an investment but because i want to transport whatever wealth i have today into whatever replaces the dollar sometime in the future.
My problem is I don't know what to do with my 401k. That's the bulk of my net worth. I can probably put some of it into mining stocks but ugh. In the meantime, Apple and Google are doing me right. Apple, Microsoft, and others are sitting on hundreds of billions in cash. Wonder how they are protecting their cash wads?

Last edited by cowboy1964; 09-19-2012 at 19:46..
Old 09-19-2012, 19:49   #1254
emt1581
Curious Member

Isn't that 45 time figure only if paper silver's bluff got called? I just remember seeing that with those "JP Morgan is going to collapse" weird cartoony guys that banter back and forth.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 21:47   #1255
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Wake me at $100

Rush Limbaugh
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 22:15   #1256
wjv

Quote:
I laugh whenever I hear "$20,000 gold!" or "$2000 silver!". You can't search YouTube without seeing those all over the place.

If that happens then gas will be $200 a gallon, etc. The real purchasing power of gold/silver is fairly constant over time, give or take.
Ferfal's experience in Argentina was that silver/gold appreciated SLIGHTLY better than the inflation rate.

His example (working from memory here) was that if X amount of silver could buy 1 loaf of bread before the collapse, then afterwards it was buying 1.25-1.5 loaves of bread.

No one got rich holding PMs, but they either maintained, or increased their buying power by a bit. But there was no buying a mansion for 2 ounces of silver, and staffing it with a harem of slave girls. . .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -

Last edited by wjv; 09-19-2012 at 22:16..
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 18:59   #1257
SilverCity

No Manipulation?

http://www.silverdoctors.com/cartel-...35/#more-14264

Guess they don't want 35 dollars. We'll see what happens next week....

SC

Last edited by SilverCity; 09-21-2012 at 19:00..
SilverCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 19:19   #1258
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCity View Post
http://www.silverdoctors.com/cartel-...35/#more-14264

Guess they don't want 35 dollars. We'll see what happens next week....

SC
There has been manipulation in markets since there were markets.

In reality, I don't want $35/oz silver either. In the same way, no one wants $300/barrel oil. If silver hit $40 or $45 an oz would you sell? How about $100?

If you are buying silver like I am its a two fold position. 1) I already max out my 401K and Roth contributions, I fund a HSA and pay at least one extra mortgage payment a year. My silver purchases are just another investment I feel will pay off in the future 2) Its my security blanket. If the world goes the way I think it will hard commodities (or really anything other than fiat currency) will be king.

The one thing I noticed about the article was this "The cartel understood the predicament they were in, and responded with a massive paper dump on the market to stuff price back below $35."

How much physical gold and silver is out there to back the paper?

Last edited by pugman; 09-21-2012 at 19:20..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 19:50   #1259
pugman

Quote:
My problem is I don't know what to do with my 401k. That's the bulk of my net worth. I can probably put some of it into mining stocks but ugh. In the meantime, Apple and Google are doing me right. Apple, Microsoft, and others are sitting on hundreds of billions in cash. Wonder how they are protecting their cash wads?
In short they aren't.

Depending on what you think might happen companies like Apple, Google etc are in a pretty bad position since their revenue streams are based off techonological based products.

Bill Gates knows this. I remember reading an article several years ago about his personal financial consultant whose job it is every day to sell something like 50,000 shares of Gates's stock...I don't quite remember the number.

As of August, 2009 he owned 725 million shares so sheading 1.8 million shares a year sounds about right.

Google, Apple, MSFT can't run a successful business model thinking the economy is going to crash - simply because if it does, I think people might be more focused on food than downloading songs to their iphone. I know SOME people see this as a necessity....
Old 09-21-2012, 21:32   #1260
SilverCity

Paper is the ONLY way they can control the silver market or any market for that matter. Estimates by GATA are that paper contracts (in the form of derivates) exceed bullion by as much as 100 times.

Wife and I are all in. I don't plan on ever selling. I'll give it to to my kids/grandchildren when I die.

Good luck with your paper, folks...

SC

Last edited by SilverCity; 09-21-2012 at 23:24..
SilverCity is offline   Reply With Quote