GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:55   #41
MoCop

Congrats on your CZ. If you are still in the market for a 1911, what about the Kimber Custom II models. They're good guns for the money.

Sent from my Droid, using my thumbs to type.
Old 09-20-2012, 13:39   #42
GSX-MAN

If I were still in the market for a brand new 1911, the Kimber would be top of my list. They cost around 1250 overhere, which is slightly over $1500.

For now, I got my mind set on testing the Norinco. If it's within my expectations, I will make the trade and start having it customised. I like projects. :D
Rimfire club member #106
GSX-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 16:43   #43
Bruce Foreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX-MAN View Post
If I were still in the market for a brand new 1911, the Kimber would be top of my list. They cost around €1250 overhere, which is slightly over $1500.

For now, I got my mind set on testing the Norinco. If it's within my expectations, I will make the trade and start having it customised. I like projects. :D
I've had 5 Norinco's. For some stupid reason I would feel like I had to sell them off, last one I sold I saw a former Marine friend use to put 5 rounds through one hole at 30 feet in failing daylight.

They come with tiny sights. Of the two I have left, I had a gunsmith put bigger "old man" sights on for me. I had to bring it back to him a couple of times to have him mill the rear sight down before it began shooting to point of aim.

Other than that, the only thing I changed on it was the grips, found a pair of nice double diamond wood grips that I liked. I added some non slip tape (normally used on concrete steps to prevent slipping) with the texture crushed down to the front part of the grip strap. Kind of poor man's checkering.

The other Norinco I have I bought recently for it's "bling". Nickle plated, more of a "show off" piece at the range. Every Norinco I've have shot to point of aim and was a solid performing gun. They generally have stronger steel than Colts.

I wouldn't change much of anything unless you find a faulty component. Mine even handle hollow point without a problem.

Last edited by Bruce Foreman; 09-28-2012 at 16:47..
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 23:17   #44
Nestor
Lean & Mean

Quote:
Only drawback: they only really work when you're invading Poland.
Invading Netherlands is even easier, so just don't sweat too much. BTW...we have many, many Norincos around here - about 90% of those are crap, so be careful. I think that Norinco 1911 is perfect if You are new to the platform - just to learn and make all the mistakes on the cheap pistol. Who knows? In the end You may build yourself a nice 1911. However I wouldn't spend any money on upgrading it via gunsmith - learn this stuff yourself. I had 3 Norincos so far (1911, bolt rifle and 22 pistol), all 3 had serious issues and one literally disintegrated in my hand on the range. Good luck though.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.

Last edited by Nestor; 09-30-2012 at 00:29..
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:35   #45
Bill Keith

The CZ is a great pistol. As per a 1911, shop around, make sure it meets ISO 9001 standards and you are good to go. Meeting those standards it meets international quality standards and you'll have parts interchangeability when you wear out a part.
Bill Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 14:22   #46
GSX-MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
I've had 5 Norinco's. For some stupid reason I would feel like I had to sell them off, last one I sold I saw a former Marine friend use to put 5 rounds through one hole at 30 feet in failing daylight.

They come with tiny sights. Of the two I have left, I had a gunsmith put bigger "old man" sights on for me. I had to bring it back to him a couple of times to have him mill the rear sight down before it began shooting to point of aim.

Other than that, the only thing I changed on it was the grips, found a pair of nice double diamond wood grips that I liked. I added some non slip tape (normally used on concrete steps to prevent slipping) with the texture crushed down to the front part of the grip strap. Kind of poor man's checkering.

The other Norinco I have I bought recently for it's "bling". Nickle plated, more of a "show off" piece at the range. Every Norinco I've have shot to point of aim and was a solid performing gun. They generally have stronger steel than Colts.

I wouldn't change much of anything unless you find a faulty component. Mine even handle hollow point without a problem.
Sounds good. And the idea of owning a .45 is appealing. Of course it's overkill on paper targets, but I like it. Just like my .30-06: insanely overpowered, but tons of fun.
Rimfire club member #106
Old 10-14-2012, 09:43   #47
GSX-MAN

Okay, the project is starting to get concrete. How about these parts:

STI Trigger Long Polymer Black
Wilson Combat Value Line Speed Hammer 1911 Blue
STI Beavertail Grip Safety 1911 Series 70 Blue
Swenson Drop-In National Match barrel bushing
ERGO Grips XT Tapered Bottom
LPA SPR 1911 Narrow Tenon Front 3-Dot sights
Rimfire club member #106
Old 10-14-2012, 11:09   #48
Mad Ryan

I really like the Cylinder and Slide ignition kits. You get a complete drop in trigger kit and most of the time you don't need to do a thing to it.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:48   #49
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Kind of affordable: Kimber Custom Target II Blue $1550

Looks pretty nice, with the adjustable sights:
1911 Forums
Who's trying to rob you by selling that gun for $1550? Bud's has them in stock for $899 shipped.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...arget+II+45acp

Last edited by glock2740; 10-14-2012 at 11:50..
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 13:30   #50
GSX-MAN

Who's trying to rob me? Just about anyone. Since I live in Europe, we need to import Kimber. So I end up being robbed by your state and/or commerce department for the export license, customs in my country and my local dealer, who also needs to make a profit.

If I want to buy a new 1911 for a reasonable price, my options are very limited. Taurus ($900) or Norinco ($435-$535). Kimber, STI,SVI and the likes cost an arm and a leg.
Rimfire club member #106
Old 10-14-2012, 14:00   #51
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

I do not think he realized you were outside ConUS
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 14:13   #52
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Can you get a German made Sig at a decent price?
Old 10-14-2012, 14:18   #53
GSX-MAN

I've shot the X-five in .45. It's made by the Sig-Sauer Mastershop and sets you back about $3350. But it's one of the finest pistols I've ever shot.

I suppose the Sig Sauer 1911 is available for The Netherlands, but I can't find a dealer/price online.
Rimfire club member #106
Old 10-14-2012, 14:32   #54
GSX-MAN

However, reviewing the quote glock2740 made, that pistol is the direction my project is heading.

1911 Forums

Adjustable sights, skeletonized trigger and hammer, extended beavertail. No serrations on the front of the slide, I hardly ever put my hand there. The magazine catch will move to the other side since I am a southpaw. Ergo Grips for the skateboard tape-feel, but what should I do to the front of the grip?
Rimfire club member #106
Old 10-14-2012, 23:33   #55
Mad Ryan

Quote:
However, reviewing the quote glock2740 made, that pistol is the direction my project is heading.

1911 Forums

Adjustable sights, skeletonized trigger and hammer, extended beavertail. No serrations on the front of the slide, I hardly ever put my hand there. The magazine catch will move to the other side since I am a southpaw. Ergo Grips for the skateboard tape-feel, but what should I do to the front of the grip?
Skateboard tape works fine. I used to use a mill to recess the front of the grips just the thickness of the griptape so it went up under the grip and looked super clean.

1911 Forums
Old 10-15-2012, 10:38   #56
GSX-MAN

I was thinking in the lines of a set of Ergo Grips with a Wilson Combat frontstrap. But is any kind of checkering needed for the front of the grip?
Rimfire club member #106
Old 10-15-2012, 19:29   #57
F106 Fan

Quote:
I was thinking in the lines of a set of Ergo Grips with a Wilson Combat frontstrap. But is any kind of checkering needed for the front of the grip?
In my view, yes!

That forestrap checkering helps keep the gun from rocking up or torquing in your hands during recoil. I care less about the side grips than I do about the forestrap.

As to the checkering: The more agressive, the better. Of all of my .45s, I like my new Sig 1911 XO for the grip panels and the forestrap. This gun is easy to hold onto.

I use the Talon grips on my Glock G21SF and I really like them. They will probably wear out clothes when used for concealment but the gun stays put in your hands.

http://talongungrips.com/

You can always add a strip of 3M Tread Tape or Skateboard Tape to the forestrap:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3.../Offers/Three/

Richard
Old 10-17-2012, 13:38   #58
GSX-MAN

Thanks!

I tried the Norinco tonight, I'm going to get this one. It has a smooth trigger and action and decent groups at 10 yards. 25 is going to be a bit more work.

Slide and frame aren't as tight as my CZ, but within reason. But man, a .45 is great fun!
Rimfire club member #106
Old 10-17-2012, 14:58   #59
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I would recommend selling the SW pistol, get a CZ-75 of some sort AND a SW revolver.
Old 10-17-2012, 15:02   #60
GSX-MAN

I already have the CZ75 Shadow and absolutely no wish to own a revolver.
Rimfire club member #106