SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-13-2012, 20:15   #26
SevenSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
SevenSlugs, what are you personally doing to reverse this brainwashing, to deprogram your peers?

I notice you are not a member of ncgunowners.com. You might find like minded college aged folks there.

How about Grass Roots North Carolina, are you familiar with them and their efforts?
Id like to be familiar with any sort of group possible...thanks for informing me of these!

Well first off, I open carry...which starts plenty coversations in which I'm able to educate many of my peers about the 2nd ammendment and such....

I also try to bring as many interested peers as possible to a local gun range which I attend and I teach them basic firearms skills.....

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2
SevenSlugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 21:03   #27
rednoved
NRA Member

I'll be 24 in less than a month.
rednoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 21:11   #28
SevenSlugs

Welcome to the (small) club bro!

Old 09-13-2012, 21:57   #29
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

I am 21 as well, and I don't usually talk about carrying firearms with people in most of my classes unless it is a criminal justice course. I have noticed the same thing you are noticing, I saw a picture of a billboard saying something like " I carry a gun because I can't carry a police officer". I have met some people(including the cute girl that cuts my hair at supercuts, though she is a little bit older) that like to shoot. That said the people I speak to that don't, aren't necessarily anti gun or brain washed, they are just afraid of them because the have 0 experience with them. I would say few of the people that I come into contact with that the conversation topic is firearms are anti gun.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:09   #30
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSlugs View Post
Id like to be familiar with any sort of group possible...thanks for informing me of these!
You're welcome...get to know some of the locals who carry.
Quote:
Well first off, I open carry...which starts plenty coversations in which I'm able to educate many of my peers about the 2nd ammendment and such....
When do you meet most of these peers?

NC law prohibits carry on college campuses, establishments or get togethers where admission is charged, places where alcohol is sold, and where no-guns signs are posted, oh, plus, we know your employer prohibits carrying.
Quote:
I also try to bring as many interested peers as possible to a local gun range which I attend and I teach them basic firearms skills.....
In the last 11 months, how many people would that be, and, have any of them continued shooting after you introduced them to the sport?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 16:51   #31
SevenSlugs

Quite a few people......rarely any of them find interest in firearms afterwords........seems to me as if they view it as a one time special experience......

Old 09-14-2012, 18:57   #32
RussP

Quote:
Quite a few people......rarely any of them find interest in firearms afterwords........seems to me as if they view it as a one time special experience......
Do you think, possibly, that there may be something wrong with your technique, your presentation?

Please, get with others with a heck of a lot more experience. Learn from them first before trying to teach others...it worked for me many long years ago.

Old 09-14-2012, 19:18   #33
SevenSlugs

Not my presentation at all....I can see that it's a clear lack of interest in many of my peers..........that is the problem...which I guess is why not many young people are actively promoting gun rights....which is why I made a thread about it.....

Old 09-17-2012, 21:36   #34
CharlieDelta127

Quote:
I have little faith in my generation as far as gun rights go..as each day passes I realize that the people who actually fight for my (and many others) gun rights are people in the 30+ age range......

I feel you my friend. I am 20, and I have little faith in our generation when it comes to a host of things. Very little seem to take pride in anything anymore (of course you find exceptions). I find less and less that there are people our age who have a sense of right and wrong, a sense of dignity, and a hard working mindset.

As for the gun issue, I find that it is VERY hard to find a person with an interest in guns. I am a college student, and I am surrounded by liberal gun grabbing lunatics who spew the same ignorance of "dial 911" and "guns kill people".... Frustrates me to no end.

But there is light, I do come across those who support you, me, and others in common sense gun knowledge and appreciation.
CharlieDelta127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:47   #35
SevenSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDelta127 View Post
I feel you my friend. I am 20, and I have little faith in our generation when it comes to a host of things. Very little seem to take pride in anything anymore (of course you find exceptions). I find less and less that there are people our age who have a sense of right and wrong, a sense of dignity, and a hard working mindset.

As for the gun issue, I find that it is VERY hard to find a person with an interest in guns. I am a college student, and I am surrounded by liberal gun grabbing lunatics who spew the same ignorance of "dial 911" and "guns kill people".... Frustrates me to no end.

But there is light, I do come across those who support you, me, and others in common sense gun knowledge and appreciation.
Yea...don't know how our generation will turn out as far as leading the country in the right direction but it doesn't look good as far as gun rights go...that's for sure...

I hope "the light" doesn't come to late....

Good to hear from you.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:28   #36
CharlieDelta127

Oh, and I'm not sure where you go to school, but I know there are quite a few colleges with registered on campus clubs that include Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. Check them out if you haven't already. I recently joined the group here at my school.

Defiantly worth the time.

Here's their national link: http://concealedcampus.org/
Old 09-24-2012, 06:29   #37
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDelta127 View Post
Oh, and I'm not sure where you go to school, but I know there are quite a few colleges with registered on campus clubs that include Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. Check them out if you haven't already. I recently joined the group here at my school.

Defiantly worth the time.

Here's their national link: http://concealedcampus.org/

Old 09-24-2012, 09:49   #38
SevenSlugs

Awsome, thanks for letting me know!

Old 09-25-2012, 07:45   #39
crimdelacrim

23 here

I mainly attribute it to the era in which we grew up. Where I live, hunting is probably the most important/profitable pastime. Even still, I find the number of handguns owned by hunters shockingly low. I believe this is because of the way we were exposed to guns.

The Brady Bill was signed when we were kids and the 90's introduced school shootings. Instead of promoting gun safety and helping kids learn how to respect guns instead of fear them, guns were demonized like drugs and alcohol. I can still see the posters hanging in my grade school now...

I believe this caused a curiosity, a stigma if you will, with guns that was not there before. Before us, men grew up being gradually introduced to guns as well as either knowing someone who was drafted or being drafted themselves. The 90's were a decade of gun fear. Think of Power Rangers. They were awesome. Now that we are older, it is clear that they feed the violent side of cool for kids. It is even easy to see why someone our age may look back and say "that just teaches violents to kids even though I thought it was cool when I was one."

This is our generations exposure to guns. What was exposed to us was a dark, visceral, cool, forbidden thing that was phased out as soon as most kids got older because guns were just another one of those things you thought were cool when you were younger. If you don't have much more exposure to them, they become that thing that was cool before the first gameboy...or ipod touch now.

It isn't our fault. It is society's. That is what is up with our generation.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:14   #40
Jerry

^^^ That's the most logical explanation I've heard.
BIG DAWG #4

Liberal: Someone who is so open-minded their brains have fallen out.
Guns are not dangerous, people are.

Last edited by Jerry; 09-25-2012 at 11:15..
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:18   #41
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
^^^ That's the most logical explanation I've heard.
Amen...!!

Old 09-25-2012, 11:25   #42
HexHead

First of all, the Raleigh-Durham-Cary area isn't the South. You might as well be living in New Jersey.

Secondly, blame the leftist controlled public education system with it's progressive agenda. All through school, you probably were told guns were bad, pictures of guns or even pointing your finger at another student on the playground was grounds for zero tolerance treatment.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:44   #43
SevenSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexHead View Post
First of all, the Raleigh-Durham-Cary area isn't the South. You might as well be living in New Jersey.

Secondly, blame the leftist controlled public education system with it's progressive agenda. All through school, you probably were told guns were bad, pictures of guns or even pointing your finger at another student on the playground was grounds for zero tolerance treatment.
Yea.. your right

Old 09-25-2012, 12:40   #44
SCmasterblaster

I would say that a vast majority of people your age have grown up with a steady drum-beat of anti-gun propaganda in our public schools.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:51   #45
SevenSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I would say that a vast majority of people your age have grown up with a steady drum-beat of anti-gun propaganda in our public schools.
My point exactly

Old 09-25-2012, 17:19   #46
CharlieDelta127

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimdelacrim View Post
23 here
I can still see the posters hanging in my grade school now...

Man, now that you mention it, I can picture those ugly things too. We had a big bullentin board right outside our principals office. Always a poster or two up there about gun-violence.

I agree totally it's the fault of our society.... Terrible thing it is.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:52   #47
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Who else on this forum is even under 25??

I'll be 24 in October.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:08   #48
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
23 here

I mainly attribute it to the era in which we grew up. Where I live, hunting is probably the most important/profitable pastime. Even still, I find the number of handguns owned by hunters shockingly low. I believe this is because of the way we were exposed to guns.

The Brady Bill was signed when we were kids and the 90's introduced school shootings. Instead of promoting gun safety and helping kids learn how to respect guns instead of fear them, guns were demonized like drugs and alcohol. I can still see the posters hanging in my grade school now...

I believe this caused a curiosity, a stigma if you will, with guns that was not there before. Before us, men grew up being gradually introduced to guns as well as either knowing someone who was drafted or being drafted themselves. The 90's were a decade of gun fear. Think of Power Rangers. They were awesome. Now that we are older, it is clear that they feed the violent side of cool for kids. It is even easy to see why someone our age may look back and say "that just teaches violents to kids even though I thought it was cool when I was one."

This is our generations exposure to guns. What was exposed to us was a dark, visceral, cool, forbidden thing that was phased out as soon as most kids got older because guns were just another one of those things you thought were cool when you were younger. If you don't have much more exposure to them, they become that thing that was cool before the first gameboy...or ipod touch now.

It isn't our fault. It is society's. That is what is up with our generation.
I agree, but will have to disagree on a part of your post.

It sounds like you're blaming the media/entertainment industry that glorify violence, which is just another scapegoat people use, for insane people.

If you look back, before any video game came out, any power rangers episode came out, you will see one of our worst school massacres was done by some fool who was upset his property taxes were raised (possibly due to that school). He killed the most in American history when it comes to school massacres, and the real catch is (to any anti-gunners that may be lurking) he didn't even use a gun! He used a bomb.......

Any SANE person can tell the difference between violence through fantasy, and violence through reality. I grew up off Duke Nukem, Counter-strike, doom, Marilyn Manson, and many of the other video games and artists portrayed and used by the media as the scapegoat to why people do such horrific things.

At an early age I was raised around firearms, my dad taught me how to handle them, and respect them. I'm also very thankful my dad taught my that firearms had more than the use many Americans think they're for (hunting). When I was 12, I was trusted with a mossberg maverick88 in my bedroom.

I and many others I knew who were raised more or less around the same thing as me, and had plenty of access to firearms, just like me never had a problem. Concluding INSANE people do INSANE things. Regardless of if they have some sort of entertainment piece that depicts graphic violent fantasies, or not.

Another thing I'd like to point out is, violence/insane people were just as big of a problem back then, and did horrible things, however the media coverage back then compared to now is just not the same. The media now days can sensationalize something much better, usually to push an agenda through, whatever it may be -IE anti-gun, anti video games, etc etc...
Old 09-27-2012, 15:03   #49
crimdelacrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
I agree, but will have to disagree on a part of your post.

It sounds like you're blaming the media/entertainment industry that glorify violence, which is just another scapegoat people use, for insane people.

If you look back, before any video game came out, any power rangers episode came out, you will see one of our worst school massacres was done by some fool who was upset his property taxes were raised (possibly due to that school). He killed the most in American history when it comes to school massacres, and the real catch is (to any anti-gunners that may be lurking) he didn't even use a gun! He used a bomb.......

Any SANE person can tell the difference between violence through fantasy, and violence through reality. I grew up off Duke Nukem, Counter-strike, doom, Marilyn Manson, and many of the other video games and artists portrayed and used by the media as the scapegoat to why people do such horrific things.

At an early age I was raised around firearms, my dad taught me how to handle them, and respect them. I'm also very thankful my dad taught my that firearms had more than the use many Americans think they're for (hunting). When I was 12, I was trusted with a mossberg maverick88 in my bedroom.

I and many others I knew who were raised more or less around the same thing as me, and had plenty of access to firearms, just like me never had a problem. Concluding INSANE people do INSANE things. Regardless of if they have some sort of entertainment piece that depicts graphic violent fantasies, or not.

Another thing I'd like to point out is, violence/insane people were just as big of a problem back then, and did horrible things, however the media coverage back then compared to now is just not the same. The media now days can sensationalize something much better, usually to push an agenda through, whatever it may be -IE anti-gun, anti video games, etc etc...
I didn't say that power rangers makes children insane... I simply used them to show how things that we thought were once cool are now just childish curiosities. I also never said anything about the media because I think the news has very little affect on children (you are molded most when you are a child). I also never ever said that we didn't have insane people in the past. I agree with you. Just please don't twist what I am saying.

Last edited by crimdelacrim; 09-27-2012 at 15:05..
crimdelacrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 16:25   #50
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
I didn't say that power rangers makes children insane... I simply used them to show how things that we thought were once cool are now just childish curiosities. I also never said anything about the media because I think the news has very little affect on children (you are molded most when you are a child). I also never ever said that we didn't have insane people in the past. I agree with you. Just please don't twist what I am saying.

What are you trying to prove with the reference to power ranger, then? That's the only way I saw it, and just read over it a few more times. If you can clarify for me, that'd be great.

Thanks.