Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-19-2012, 17:39   #1
mildot

Costco Food Storage ARK 1 Month Supply By Chefs Banquet

So I "pulled the trigger" on one of these. Some of the reviews stated that in some cases, the meals weren't sealed? or there was a "dust" inside. That said, just wondering if that is a past problem? Also, are the ones being sold now in a round 6 gallon pail(saw some in a square pail)? I hope so, cause I bought a couple of Gamma Lids, LOL
Thanks

Survival/Preparedness Forum

Last edited by mildot; 09-19-2012 at 17:49..
mildot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:10   #2
USMC_G19
Ham Salad

On a whim i bought one about a month ago, its in a round container. I cant comment as to unsealed meals or dust since i have not opened it.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:13   #3
mildot

I ordered these as well, one of the "reviewers" mentioned them. Great idea IMO.

Last edited by mildot; 09-20-2012 at 06:14..
mildot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:41   #4
Kieller

I use Gamma Seal lids on my storage buckets. They are so much better than standard lids IMHO. Easy access and the wifey can easily crack into them if needed instead of trying to wrestle off a normal lid.

You'll have to let us know what you think of these Costco pails.

Last edited by Kieller; 09-20-2012 at 06:42..
Kieller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 18:49   #5
FH Alum

Thanks for the link. Seems like a good deal.

I am going to order a couple but it seems a bit low on protein. At the end of the month with high physical activity you would be feeling pretty crummy. I'm looking at this as a good source of side dishes.

One thing to ponder though is how much water does it require per meal? Also, requires a ready fuel supply to cook. Not much good if your water supply is compromised or spilled or you run out of fuel for your stove on day 21.

Spam, canned stew etc. still factors heavy on my shelf. Cold stew sucks but is better than eating powder.
FH Alum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:47   #6
SFCSMITH(RET)

Gamma seals are great.. one thing if you are new to them.. they stay on the bucket.

FOREVER.

I know no one who has been able to remove the outer ring without pretty much destroying it. We rotate INTO gamma sealed buckets from out LTS.

Also, on the H2O question, most dehydrated "meals" take around 3/4 cup of water per serving to reconstitute. (I should point out I have never used this brand, I am a MH and BP fan)

If you are worried about being able to heat water on little to no fuel, I suggest the Kelty Kettle. Spendy, and a one trick pony, but I have seen them in action running on ANYTHING burnable, and they do heat water fast.

EDIT: one other thing.. no way is there calories/nutrients in that bucket for a human adult for 30 days. Check the calorie count and do the math. I know you said it's just a "side item" but make sure you know just what you have available. I do have a WEEK supply, a real week worth of meals, based on prior use and testing, all dehydrated, in a bucket, and it's just about all that would go in there. It is Mountain House and Backpacker's Pantry stuff, all pouches.

Last edited by SFCSMITH(RET); 09-21-2012 at 09:54..
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:09   #7
wjv

Each ARK contains the following:

- 330 Total Servings
- 2,100 calories/day for 30 days
---- Oatmeal - 60 Servings
---- Hearty Potato Soup - 60 Servings
---- Chicken Vegetable Stew - 30 Servings
---- Mixed Vegetables - 30 Servings
---- Instant Potatoes - 60 Servings
---- Macaroni & Cheese - 30 Servings
---- Beef Flavored Vegetable Stew - 30 Servings
---- Cheddar Broccoli Rice - 30 Servings

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:54   #8
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

That's a good variety,thanks Bill.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 16:09   #9
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Like Smith above I only use the Gamma lids for buckets that I am actively using product that rotates out of long term storage. They are too expensive to use on every bucket and not needed for good long term storage anyhow provided you used mylar bags.

The only problem with the ARk meals from what I've seen is they lack animal protein of any sort. Its all vegetarian. So you might want to consider supplementing it with a couple #10 cans of dehydrated eggs, some canned hams, spam, meats etc. (that you can rotate) Maybe some #10 cans of dehydrated chicken or other meats.

Of course you are only talking about 30 days of food anyhow which kind of mitigates the need for long term food storage as most pantries can be stocked with enough common grocery items to provide for a month of food without much creativity. And its far cheaper and better to have a month of food you routinely eat and rotate than to buy a month of "survival" food that you have no idea if you like it or it sucks that will slowly degrade in nutritional value and quality as it goes un-eaten. So what I'm trying to suggest is store what you eat and eat what you store. Not rocket science.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”

Last edited by Big Bird; 09-21-2012 at 16:19..
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 18:39   #10
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
So what I'm trying to suggest is store what you eat and eat what you store. Not rocket science.
Ditto. What you're essentially buying there is an $85 bag of rice.

It has carbs, carbs, and oh wait, some carbs. Although monotonous a bag of rice, a flat of spam, and a bottle of vitamins would keep you going twice as long for half the price. And if you really want to get crazy and mix it up add in some oatmeal.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler

Last edited by Bushflyr; 09-21-2012 at 18:40..
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:40   #11
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
The only problem with the ARk meals from what I've seen is they lack animal protein of any sort. Its all vegetarian.
Which is why I have neighbors?

Nothing will taste as good on the grill as fresh caught neighbor - and they think those net traps on my lawn are for show

I might have to go check one of these out for myself. The genius in this package is its simplicity. Take a good multi vitamin, crush it up and sprinkle it on each serving and the only thing you need to worry about short term is protein which could be supplemented with hunting if need be.