SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:17   #1001
Gasoil4ever
Glock Frog

Nothing fancy for me.

I have been a sport shooter for over 10 years in France where CCW is not permitted (how stupid is that ?)

I have moved to Africa where if i manage well enough i might be able to get a CCW permit. Carrying a G19 will most probably be the best insurance i can get. Not mentionning that being an expat i am a live moving target for any thug in town.

As simple as that...

When i read some anti gun crap in US news i am sad for you guys... I once read that you should never discuss with an idiot because he'll drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience. You guys should NEVER give up your right to own and carry. Never a govt will be able to defend you as well as you can !! And bad guys DO NOT obey laws and they always WILL have acess to firearms.

I have great respect and friendly feelings for all GTers. Please allow me to give the US citizens one advice.

The idiotic gun laws in my home country now lead to the following situation, bad guys nowadays don't mind using AK47 (coming for ex Yougoslavia stock from war) to shoot in broad day light (roberries, etc).

And anytime a shooting happens, the anti gun dummies that already made gun laws worse rave on how guns are dangerous and should be prohibited ?!?
You IDIOTS they ARE prohibited ALREADY !! And that leaves us unprotected with the BG being more and more armed everyday.

Watch out with the anti guns... if you let them go too far, they'll blame the good guys for the bad guys being armed.
G1 Niners Club #1-French
Former guns : G17F, G19, G26, S&W 686 6", 1911 Gold Cup, Contender 7mm TCU, Tanfoglio 99 Sport
Waiting for my local CCW permit
Gasoil4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:51   #1002
TENWHEELER

Nothing earth shattering in my decision. I live in Ky where open carry and gun transportation in a factory glovebox without a CCW license are legal options. I work in Tn and the majority of my commute is in Tn. It got very tiresome to stop at the state line and remove the magazine from the handgun in the glovebox every day so I got my CCW permit. Once I had it my thought process became "wow, I have this right, why not use it fully?"

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 08-09-2012, 07:41   #1003
PettyOfficer

Tagged.
PettyOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:49   #1004
97harley

I turned 45 this summer, got my ccw in March of this year. I had gastric bypass surgery, it was a year ago this past March. I'm just under 6 foot and for about the last 10yrs weighed in at 270 or so. I have always been able to take care of myself, strong as an ox and sometimes as dumb. My job involves visiting various auto shops around the state and reviewing claims, diagnosis of claims etc and sometimes I'm not a welcome site. I had that surgery to eliminate diabetes, yes, look it up, it does cure diabetes but I now weigh in at 195 and went from a max of just under 400lbs bench to about 240. I no longer have that superman nobody will mess with me attitude that has gotten me through my entire life. I'm not a fighter, yes, I certainly don't let people walk over me but have always stood my ground, felt confident etc. Carrying just gives me security in knowing if I get in a really bad situation due to my job or some of the questionable areas I end up in due to my job that I feel much safer.
97harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:54   #1005
LEOson

This is my first post here, so here goes. I'm turning 22 this year and I haven't actually gotten my CCW or my pistol yet, but I have definitely decided I'm going to. Hopefully, I'll have them by the end of the year. But back on topic: there's two instances that I can recall, and both of them happened within a short amount of time.

Instance one: We had a police officer that was shot not even 1000 feet from my parents home (still in college). The scariest part was that the officer served two tours of duty in Iraq. The man served his country proudly and his reward was being ambushed by some piece of trash. Also was scary because my dad is an officer at the same department. Immediately after I noticed that my dad started carrying two guns everywhere he went. There's something quite scary about seeing your LEO father packing his service weapon and a backup everywhere because he's so shaken up. Especially when you're hoping to follow in his footsteps and become a cop.

Instance two: Not more than a month after incident 1. I was home with my ten year old brother. I'm laying down to go to sleep at around 2 am and hear what I'm sure are five or six shots right outside the bedroom window. Then I hear a loud bang on the front door. So I do exactly what I've always trained myself. Grabbed the brother and locked him in the parents room. Went to the closet to grab dad's Glock 22 service weapon and realize NO GUN! Called the cops and just sat there with my heart racing. The worst part was that we have other guns in the house, but all our ammo was at the police station. I've never had a worse feeling than knowing that if something were to go down I wouldn't be able to protect my brother. I'm on the small side (5'7 and about 140 pounds) so I would have been toast if anybody had come through the front door. When the old man came home we discussed what happened and I learned he actually bought his old service Glock 22 when his department got new guns. He agreed to keep it at home.

So long story short, there is now always a loaded gun in the house. If the old man is home, there are three. Otherwise I feel a lot safer knowing I'm packing a loaded 40 cal in my closet. Feel even better since I know my brother is capable of shooting it if it ever came to that. Gotta love a ten year old who can be on the paper at 15 yards with a gun bigger than his head.
LEOson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:43   #1006
mjsarge

My moment, when Bush signed Texas CHL into law and I had the legal right to do so. That's all I needed.
Big Dawg #313 / Sub Club #313 / TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club #3577 / NRA Life Member

Gen 4 G19 / Gen 4 G21 / Gen 3 G26 / Gen 3 G30SF
mjsarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 14:13   #1007
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOson View Post
This is my first post here, so here goes. I'm turning 22 this year and I haven't actually gotten my CCW or my pistol yet, but I have definitely decided I'm going to. Hopefully, I'll have them by the end of the year. But back on topic: there's two instances that I can recall, and both of them happened within a short amount of time.

Instance one: We had a police officer that was shot not even 1000 feet from my parents home (still in college). The scariest part was that the officer served two tours of duty in Iraq. The man served his country proudly and his reward was being ambushed by some piece of trash. Also was scary because my dad is an officer at the same department. Immediately after I noticed that my dad started carrying two guns everywhere he went. There's something quite scary about seeing your LEO father packing his service weapon and a backup everywhere because he's so shaken up. Especially when you're hoping to follow in his footsteps and become a cop.

Instance two: Not more than a month after incident 1. I was home with my ten year old brother. I'm laying down to go to sleep at around 2 am and hear what I'm sure are five or six shots right outside the bedroom window. Then I hear a loud bang on the front door. So I do exactly what I've always trained myself. Grabbed the brother and locked him in the parents room. Went to the closet to grab dad's Glock 22 service weapon and realize NO GUN! Called the cops and just sat there with my heart racing. The worst part was that we have other guns in the house, but all our ammo was at the police station. I've never had a worse feeling than knowing that if something were to go down I wouldn't be able to protect my brother. I'm on the small side (5'7 and about 140 pounds) so I would have been toast if anybody had come through the front door. When the old man came home we discussed what happened and I learned he actually bought his old service Glock 22 when his department got new guns. He agreed to keep it at home.

So long story short, there is now always a loaded gun in the house. If the old man is home, there are three. Otherwise I feel a lot safer knowing I'm packing a loaded 40 cal in my closet. Feel even better since I know my brother is capable of shooting it if it ever came to that. Gotta love a ten year old who can be on the paper at 15 yards with a gun bigger than his head.
Welcome to GlockTalk, LEOson.
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 15:14   #1008
madh4ttr

My defining moment happened New Years Day of 2006. Although their were other families, this one is the one that hit home the hardest because it was just a random knock on their door and this is what happened.

http://www.forgottenvictims.com/Harvey%20Family.htm or Search Harvey killings in Richmond Va.

I live in the Richmond, Va. area. and this was just crazy and from that point forward, I told myself that I will always be prepared at home and when Im not.
madh4ttr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 19:24   #1009
gumpmonkey

As I rolled my trash can to the curb I observed my neighbor two houses over getting beaten unconsious by his crack connection. - Jp
Old 09-12-2012, 15:53   #1010
surf n turf

No defining moment for me so much as a progression. I think this may be my first post or one of my first posts but I have been lurking for over a decade.

1. I grew up around guns and was always fascinated by them. Dad was not really a "gun guy" but owned a couple pellet guns, a Mossberg 12 ga pump, and a Ruger 10/22. He no longer hunted anymore but always had them around. My parents would take us to the land they owned south of the cities in a rural farming community and taught us to shoot clays and pop cans/paper targets. He also even built a little pellet gun shooting range made from a cardboard box and some newspaper in the basement for me to screw around with as a kid. Somewhere around that same time(9-13 yrs old) he worked summers part time at a local pistol range as he was a teacher and had summers off and had plenty of time to make some extra money. We spent a few evenings after-hours shooting pistols there. It was a ball to have the whole range to yourself(I still shoot there on occasion). It's weird he wasn't really a hardcore gun guy but it seemed he wanted me to be able to respect and properly use firearms so shooting guns every now and then was the norm when I was a kid.

2. Fast forward to 1995 and I'm 22 yrs old and living with my girlfriend in an apartment and working overnights and after shooting at a local indoor range with my g/f's father(ret. military) decided to buy a handgun from a coworker(Taurus PT92) for the apartment so she can protect herself when I wasn't there, which was every night.

3. 1998 still on overnights and now in my own house we bought together and I buy my first Glock(G23)...because I like guns that go bang EVERY TIME you pull the trigger and I'm still worried about her being home alone every night. I'm still very interested in guns but have other hobbies so I just don't have the money to get into it like I'd like to but always have them around just in case. At this point I fall in love with the simplicity and reliability of Glocks and dive in head first into the big pitcher of Koolaid.

4. Shortly after 9/11 and it's off to the store to buy another gun(only have the Glock because I sold the Taurus to a friend's Dad). This time S&W 686 4". Love the wheel guns and now I have one so g/f and I both can be armed if need be in the home. End up selling the S&W years later to a good friend due to lack of use and lack of interest and need money for more fishing gear.

5. Between MN becoming a shall issue state, Obama being elected, the recent Aurora, CO shooting, and the overall economic state along with all the news on crazy people doing harm to others daily, and I'm really falling off the deep end and lurking on GlockTalk and other gun forums quite a bit, researching guns and ammo ballistics, recently bought a S&W 642 and Glock 26 along with a healthy quantity of ammo for practice and SD with plans for both of us to get CCW very soon and get her into a shooting class to help perfect the skill.

I've always felt it was my responsibility to take care of myself and there are just too many weirdos out there these days to be without something you may need and I've ALWAYS subscribed to the motto of better having it and not needing it than needing it and not having it.

Last edited by surf n turf; 09-12-2012 at 16:14.. Reason: I reread and had to fix things
surf n turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 20:01   #1011
JONEBGD.

Common sense... Makes sense!!

Thanks for your story. It makes a perfect sequential sense to me. The #23 was a great 1st pick- 9 or 40? Most likely 9 for your lady. Your #26 I have not fired. The @27 is a great little master piece of a small hand cannon and easy to carry. I have both, also (40's) and I find I need hrs. more practice with my 27. I too have a beautiful condition Det. Special Special 6 shot I purchased 40 years ago @ a pawn shop in S.F. and a new Smith 5er w/lazer- ( air weight) both a dream to carry and conceal. Good logic, good choices and practice, practice, practice- damn near any caliber is effective if your shot placement is on. Get those permits and have some fun!! Thanx again for your story- stop "lurking" around!!! Take Care, Jon
JONEBGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 15:00   #1012
surf n turf

Thanks for the warm welcome, Jon. I can't remember exactly why I chose the G23 to begin with. I guess .40S&W cartridge was gaining huge popularity at the time with law enforcement and I've always done a good amount of reading and research on any interests I had so I guess I thought it would be a good home defense gun and being a 2nd Gen it just felt good in my hands. I still think the 19/23/32 is the perfect size for self defense and great compromise between size and capacity. In hindsight I probably should have gone with a G19 for the less recoil for her but she has no problems shooting the 23 so it all worked out ok. The most recent purchases were well thought out with carry in mind so I wanted something that I know would be a pleasure to carry often(642) and something that shared the same operations as the Glock we already owned, so I settled on the G26...after much internal debate. After shooting both now numerous times I've come to the conclusion that airweights are a beast to shoot with +p but I'm decently accurate with it at 21' and the 26 is a tack driver and works flawlessly, like every other Glock I've shot.
surf n turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 16:35   #1013
JONEBGD.

10-4, copy all that- love that airweight and all my Glocks. Keep moving forward and thanx for the reply. Jon ( Your wife doesn't mind the 40? That's good.)
JONEBGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:24   #1014
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

Aside from my much earlier post, today is a prime example of why I carry. Yesterday everything was great. I had the house to myself and crawled around under my desk some, rerouting wires and removing the dead power supply from our computer. Went to bed a little late but feeling fine.

This morning, I woke up and my knee is stiff and swolen. After getting out of a chair, it takes me 10 steps or so before I can limber up enough to walk somewhat normally.

As anyone else with arthritis knows, there's good days and bad days. I'm only 5'9" but broad-shouldered with a big frame. I've worked in construction for the last dozen years. I've had arthritis for almost 20 years - since I was 12.

I know on "bad days" like today, hobbing around all stiff and hurting, I look a lot more like a target. Just to be safe, I carry on the "good days" too.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:05   #1015
dixietoo

I've wanted to get a CCW license for sometime because I am photographer/videographer and often have at least $3K worth of equipment with me in the car or on a job.
About a month ago I made up my mind to finally do so when I was driving home and a thug was walking down the street in my neighborhood carrying an AK47. No BS.
The police are supposed to protect and serve, and they do, God bless them for it, but you aren't going to be assaulted when a cop is within earshot. Hope for the best and plan for the worst, be prepared.

Last edited by dixietoo; 09-17-2012 at 09:16..
dixietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 20:45   #1016
WL_Ranger

Virginia Tech was the turning point for me. Yes, it was a tragedy, but what bothered me most was that no one fought back. I decided at that point that I would never willingly yield to evil...I would fight to protect me and mine. For evil to persist only requires that good men and women do nothing.
WL_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:48   #1017
dixietoo

Thanks for your Service, WL!
Indeed, one armed person could have made a lot of difference at V.T..
Amazing that he shoot 50 people and nobody tried to rush from behind, of course you can't blame most folks from running away from gunfire.

Last edited by dixietoo; 09-18-2012 at 08:00..
dixietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 20:43   #1018
BIGBILL105 45
Glock 19

No scary near possible death experiences for me. Just having the ability to protect me and my family against anyone who is out to harm is enough for me.
BIGBILL105 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 21:52   #1019
rose725751

Finally accepted the fact that my body is not as it was, I am not 39 any more. My body is braking down.Three rotater cuff sergeries. and two torn rotator cuffs, now. Ruptured/torn meniscus disk, siatictica, COPD, arthritis. Just getting old!! I am in my mid fifties. The news, I live next to Ciudad Juárez Mexico.
rose725751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 19:26   #1020
tnpatriot

My grandaddy carried, my daddy carried now I do. cause we are Americans. A freeman is always armed. A slave is not.
tnpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 16:11   #1021
wildmanjeff

I got mine after watching NUTNFANCY videos on youtube. This guy some love, some hate him but he is very informative.

After watching a video he described about evil, a bunch of robbers in a bank made people drink acid and if they refused, they used a drill through the ear and killed a few people. he went all on about this story, and then commented this did not just happen, it was back in 1970s-- evil is not new to us, we just get multiple heavy doses of it daily in this information age. Though evil is not new, I think the threat of becoming a victim of a violent crime is higher. If you look at violent crime statistics, it goes way up and down--but there IS a lot of crime out there that goes un-reported and uncaught. Today we have crackheads, meth heads, drug addicts, hungry, unemployed, and just the plain old I don't want to work so I'll take what I want individuals. Ethics and morality are at an all time low in my opinion.

Also as one of the people that is sick to hear about instances like Aurora, CO (and I already had my license when this happened) I will not be a duck in a shooting gallery with no protection! yes, they may kill me on the first shot, I may get taken by surprise walking to my car with groceries, but at least I have the option of protecting myself.
wildmanjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 23:34   #1022
bobtheelf

I moved to Tennessee.
bobtheelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:07   #1023
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmanjeff View Post
I got mine after watching NUTNFANCY videos on youtube. This guy some love, some hate him but he is very informative.

After watching a video he described about evil, a bunch of robbers in a bank made people drink acid and if they refused, they used a drill through the ear and killed a few people. he went all on about this story, and then commented this did not just happen, it was back in 1970s-- evil is not new to us, we just get multiple heavy doses of it daily in this information age. Though evil is not new, I think the threat of becoming a victim of a violent crime is higher. If you look at violent crime statistics, it goes way up and down--but there IS a lot of crime out there that goes un-reported and uncaught. Today we have crackheads, meth heads, drug addicts, hungry, unemployed, and just the plain old I don't want to work so I'll take what I want individuals. Ethics and morality are at an all time low in my opinion.

Also as one of the people that is sick to hear about instances like Aurora, CO (and I already had my license when this happened) I will not be a duck in a shooting gallery with no protection! yes, they may kill me on the first shot, I may get taken by surprise walking to my car with groceries, but at least I have the option of protecting myself.
The robbers-in-the-bank story sounds a lot like the Hi-Fi Murders that happened April 22,1974, in Ogden, Utah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Fi_murders
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:19   #1024
wildmanjeff

yes it was, I heard about it and looked it up after the posting --
thank you
Old 09-29-2012, 08:28   #1025
wildmanjeff

there was some other innaccuracy in my rememberances of the details from the video I watched as well- I apologize, my whole point is that even though we did not know it truly evil people have always been around, we just have a better information transfer than before.

Last edited by wildmanjeff; 09-29-2012 at 08:28..