Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-23-2012, 20:45   #1
emt1581
Curious Member

Keeping a barrel stove kit just in case?

The guy in that video suggested it.

The kit itself is under $100. The barrel can be had for $50 or less. The needed pipe and parts would be significantly more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vogelzang-De...item337c34e123

However, in regard to preps, heat in the winter (for colder climates) is vital.

But it's pretty compact and portable. So whether for your current home or a BOL...this seems to be a nice heating package so long as you're handy with a reciprocating saw and a drill.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 23:46   #2
bdcochran

For me - no

EMT - the problem is that you can always create a scenario in which to buy specific equipment.

The guy hooked it up in a basement. Depending upon your area in the country, many houses do not or cannot have a basement. Most people don't have the storage space.

Bugout location -

same problems as usually spoken. Most people do not have a secure bug out location. So, you might just be furnishing for the next guy.

If you don't want to cook in the first 30-90 days because it would attract attention, don't buy.

If you don't have a fuel supply, don't buy.

If you have a woods out back, you probably will cook in a separate structure like the old days, or just cook outside.

If you are urban, a barbecue pit or outdoor barbecue with a few tanks of propane will be enough.

If you live in Minn in the wild or Maine, you are going to buy comforters and warm clothing first and not primarily rely upon a basement stove.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:27   #3
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

This is why I keep 6- 30lb bags of charcoal and a small grill cached away. Its my third source for cooking.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:31   #4
rj1939

If I were going the stove route, I'd definitely go with a higher grade airtight stove. You can still cook on it and it will use wood much more efficiently (read less wood consumed).

After a week without power a few years back, a gas grill proved its worth. Cooking outside was the way to go too, as it was warm enough to not want additional heat in the house.

No matter how cynical I get, I can't seem to keep up
rj1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 17:53   #5
Maine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
EMT - the problem is that you can always create a scenario in which to buy specific equipment.

The guy hooked it up in a basement. Depending upon your area in the country, many houses do not or cannot have a basement. Most people don't have the storage space.

Bugout location -

same problems as usually spoken. Most people do not have a secure bug out location. So, you might just be furnishing for the next guy.

If you don't want to cook in the first 30-90 days because it would attract attention, don't buy.

If you don't have a fuel supply, don't buy.

If you have a woods out back, you probably will cook in a separate structure like the old days, or just cook outside.

If you are urban, a barbecue pit or outdoor barbecue with a few tanks of propane will be enough.

If you live in Minn in the wild or Maine, you are going to buy comforters and warm clothing first and not primarily rely upon a basement stove.

I'll have to disagree with this. Wood heat is a key part of life up here for many people, particularly those of us who have land, but not lots of cash. warm clothing IS a big part of it, you are right about that, but a well insulated and heated BOL or house is where you will want to be when that clothing is wet with freezing rain or wet snow.
One of my winter projects is a knockdown type tent cabin, heated with a small woodstove that nearly anyone can build. Once done, I'll do a video of it- i though of this as someone was lamenting they could not afford a BOL. our nation was founded with shelters like these.
As far as a woodstove, i'd recommend installing it NOW, and learning to use it. Then you can take it out, cap off the chimner connection, and use your oil or whatever, then install the woodstove when you need it. They often go in the center of the house, not always the basement.
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 19:52   #6
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
[/B]

I'll have to disagree with this. Wood heat is a key part of life up here for many people, particularly those of us who have land, but not lots of cash. warm clothing IS a big part of it, you are right about that, but a well insulated and heated BOL or house is where you will want to be when that clothing is wet with freezing rain or wet snow.
One of my winter projects is a knockdown type tent cabin, heated with a small woodstove that nearly anyone can build. Once done, I'll do a video of it- i though of this as someone was lamenting they could not afford a BOL. our nation was founded with shelters like these.
As far as a woodstove, i'd recommend installing it NOW, and learning to use it. Then you can take it out, cap off the chimner connection, and use your oil or whatever, then install the woodstove when you need it. They often go in the center of the house, not always the basement.
Oh I already have and LOVE a wood stove. One of THE best buys I ever made. Talk about off the grid!!!

I'm anxious to see this stove you are building so please do report back.

I saw some english guy on youtube last night that actually made one from a 50 cal. ammo can!! Had a little door on the front and everything!

I was just thinking that if I could put a stove kit in a barrel, seal it off and keep it in the corner of my prep area or at a BOL for decades....it could prove useful although it'd take some work. So maybe building ahead of time would be the better idea.

-Emt1581
Old 09-25-2012, 06:22   #7
BR549
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
Oh I already have and LOVE a wood stove. One of THE best buys I ever made. Talk about off the grid!!!

I'm anxious to see this stove you are building so please do report back.

I saw some english guy on youtube last night that actually made one from a 50 cal. ammo can!! Had a little door on the front and everything!

I was just thinking that if I could put a stove kit in a barrel, seal it off and keep it in the corner of my prep area or at a BOL for decades....it could prove useful although it'd take some work. So maybe building ahead of time would be the better idea.

-Emt1581
That sounds wonderful.

How far from your BOL is your primary residence?

Will you leave the stove at your BOL, or will you store at home and then pack it when you bug out?
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 16:50   #8
edcrosbys

There are better things than a barrel conversion for heating with wood. You can find them used on Craigslist for about the same price as this would be new.Like everything else, use it now to save money and become proficient. Save on heating expense by keeping it colder in the winter.

Cutting/splitting wood would be very difficult without chainsaw & something to bring the wood back with!
edcrosbys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:26   #9
sebecman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
[/B]

As a lifelong Mainer I will second this. My primary heat source is a woodstove in the center of my basement, 2 floor vents above it and a small fan pushing the heat up the stairway. I prefer this arrangement to having it on the main floor because it heats the whole house without overheating the main living rooms.

As to the OP - For what you are describing there are FAR better turn-key stoves out there than a barrell conversion kit.

Google up some outfitter tent stoves and/or military stoves...they collapse and all the pipe fits inside, when not being used they are basically a metal rectangle. I know guys that use them in their ice houses and they throw plenty of heat.

The time and effort involved in converting a barrell does not equal the monetary savings.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:06   #10
glock_19guy1983

I have a barrel wood stove in my shop. Its free to operate and works quite well. I blow a fan over it to help circulate the heat.
"Our situation illustrates the American idea that governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established."
glock_19guy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 14:06   #11
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebecman View Post
As a lifelong Mainer I will second this. My primary heat source is a woodstove in the center of my basement, 2 floor vents above it and a small fan pushing the heat up the stairway. I prefer this arrangement to having it on the main floor because it heats the whole house without overheating the main living rooms.

As to the OP - For what you are describing there are FAR better turn-key stoves out there than a barrell conversion kit.

Google up some outfitter tent stoves and/or military stoves...they collapse and all the pipe fits inside, when not being used they are basically a metal rectangle. I know guys that use them in their ice houses and they throw plenty of heat.

The time and effort involved in converting a barrell does not equal the monetary savings.
I checked on those folding stoves...awesome suggestion!!!

However, I called up Cabelas today and they advised against using them indoors citing tents had far different and improved breathability/ventilation in them.

Personally I figure as long as I'm using the correct piping/thimbles/etc....should not matter but the guy just kept saying they were not able to endorse such a thing.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Personally, I'd love to be able to use this a few times a year down in my basement's fireplace (terracotta lined brick with a 13" hearth in front of it. But if it is going to smoke us out or present a fire hazard it wouldn't work the same way a barrel might.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Old 09-26-2012, 14:32   #12
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
...Personally, I'd love to be able to use this a few times a year down in my basement's fireplace (terracotta lined brick with a 13" hearth in front of it. But if it is going to smoke us out or present a fire hazard it wouldn't work the same way a barrel might.

Thanks

-Emt1581
My main concern would be carbon monoxide buildup.

Are you saying you have a fireplace in the basement, and are thinking of putting the barrel stove there - inside the fireplace?

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 16:45   #13
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
My main concern would be carbon monoxide buildup.

Are you saying you have a fireplace in the basement, and are thinking of putting the barrel stove there - inside the fireplace?
No. I sort of blended two topics together. In another forum I was trying to figure out how to cheaply heat my basement via wood.

But yes, I have seen people do it. So long as you pipe the barrel right you're fine.

-Emt1581
Old 09-26-2012, 18:02   #14
R_W

Keeping a barrel stove kit and a few pieces of pipe may be a good thing to stash for SHTF especially if space is an issue (use the barrel to keep food rodent-free), but you can do better.

Barrel stoves are STUPID HOT. Like great for heating shops (uninsulated metal 6000+ ft buildings with high roofs), but really too much for most houses, even in a basement.

I can build a cob oven fireplace for free (just sweat) that is better at heating than the barrel stove.
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 18:54   #15
BORNGEARHEAD

Here's a Vogelzang stove I was looking at at Harbor Freight for this same reason. I've seen them on sale for $129

http://www.harborfreight.com/cast-ir...ove-32058.html
BORNGEARHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 18:58   #16
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORNGEARHEAD View Post
Here's a Vogelzang stove I was looking at at Harbor Freight for this same reason. I've seen them on sale for $129

http://www.harborfreight.com/cast-ir...ove-32058.html
I've spoken of and researched them on a forum that ONLY deals in stoves. They are total junk. Plus the double walled piping you need to to make them safe will dwarf that price immediately. Add a zero just for the pipe, depending on your home.

I was quite exited about it to and for the price I figured it'd be fun to play around with.

-Emt1581
Old 09-26-2012, 19:25   #17
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
The little fold up sheet metal stoves like what the .mil uses/have used are alright, but a cast iron stove, is a much better choice. They last longer, and are much tougher.

My hunting tent uses a Colorado Cylinder stove, http://www.coloradocylinderstoves.com/ but I'll be uprgrading soon.

As for heating with a barrel stove, inside a fireplace. Yes, you can do it. So long as the smoke from your stove, does not exceed the ability of the chimney to vent it. However, you'll loose alot of your heat, as its reflected into the bricks, and not out. Much better to have a stove designed for the task, instead of a stove, inside a fireplace.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 19:49   #18
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
The little fold up sheet metal stoves like what the .mil uses/have used are alright, but a cast iron stove, is a much better choice. They last longer, and are much tougher.

My hunting tent uses a Colorado Cylinder stove, http://www.coloradocylinderstoves.com/ but I'll be uprgrading soon.

As for heating with a barrel stove, inside a fireplace. Yes, you can do it. So long as the smoke from your stove, does not exceed the ability of the chimney to vent it. However, you'll loose alot of your heat, as its reflected into the bricks, and not out. Much better to have a stove designed for the task, instead of a stove, inside a fireplace.
Actually the brick can absorb the heat and act as an extension of the stove. Plus my heatilators don't hurt. If the brick/stone is not connected to an exterior it is pretty much pure heat being spit back out into the area.

What you mentioned is why I'm not a fan of inserts...well the loss of heat plus they need electricity.

But if the barrel puts off a ton of heat, the loss might not matter much.

-Emt1581
Old 09-27-2012, 01:02   #19
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
barrels get hot. Damned hot.

My shop has one for when I don't feel like running the gas stove. or I feel like being warmer than I have it set for.

1,000 sq feet, with a 30 ft roof, and I can heat the shop to the point of not wanting to be in there.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:45   #20
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Yeah, I've sat around more than a few barrel stoves in some hunting camps and I'll guarantee you one thing. They work fine. Maybe not the most asthetic stove you'll ever see. But you won't have a problem with the thing throwing off heat.

You don't need double walled pipe to make a stove safe any more than you need a push button safety on a lever action rifle to make it safe. Wood stoves existed in people's homes for hundreds of years before double walled pipe came out. You do need some common sense in terms of how and where you set up a stove with plain stove pipe. And you do need to maintain it to keep it free of creosote buildup.

But this is a viable option for emergency heat in you home and if you are a hillbilly it might be your only option.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote