GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-17-2012, 20:53   #26
TreverSlyFox

I'm retired now, but spent a few lifetimes as an LEO/FF/EMT. If your "truly" Bi-polar (you've be diagnosed) I could never really trust you even if your medication was working. In this kind of field it's NOT just if you risk your own life, but your actions and mental state can put others at risk. If your not 100% you have no place being in that position .... period.

NOW go find out if your truly Bi-polar or not and good luck.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:52   #27
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSCURRENCY View Post
I want to be a firefighter but I think I'm bipolar, and have a hard time concentrating as well as frequent slight mood swings but I'm just curious are there any "bi-polar" firefighters out there?
Concentration and "slight" mood swings sounds more like ADHD.

Go get checked out, and if you are Bi-Polar do stay on your meds. I will probably come up when they do the background and physical. Be honest about it when you go thru the process, but if you get in keep your mouth shut about it.

Too many people wear their "conditions" on their sleeve.
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 16:26   #28
dwhite53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Spyder View Post
I am only a Volunteer Fire Fighter and I would say that it is my own personal opinion that if you suffer from something like this, you have no business being a Fire Fighter.

However, I don't believe there is such a thing as Bi-polar. This is just like OCD, or ADHD. It is liberal crap to undermine personal responsibility and self discipline. The typical montra from the liberals "it's not my fault..." or "I can't help it" because "...I'm Bi-polar." or "...I'm ADHD."

So Man-Up! Take responsibility for your own actions.

Tried telling my father to "man up" and get over his high blood pressure. Didn't work, or dad's weak.

Tried telling my uncle to "man up" and get over his diabetes. Didn't work, or he's weak.

Tried telling a co-worker to "man up" and get over his high cholesterol. Hasn't worked, obviously weak.

Funny how chemical issues relating to the physical issues above are fine. Brain chemical issues though are just people not "manning up".

I finally "manned up " at 50 and went to a doctor about my inability to focus. I get Ritalin and Wellbutrin now. If I'd had this during high school (where I failed to "man up") I probably would have graduated. Yeah, I tried harder. Yeah, dad wore my backside out.

If I'd had this as a young adult I'd probably gone to college. Doc asked me one time how would my life would have been different if I'd gotten help earlier in life. I almost cried.

Don't tell people what's wrong with them until YOU HAVE BEEN THERE.

"MAN UP" smart guy, get educated.

Original Poster: Sounds like I was. Life's better now.

D. White

Last edited by dwhite53; 09-19-2012 at 16:32..
dwhite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 00:41   #29
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSCURRENCY View Post
I want to be a firefighter but I think I'm bipolar, and have a hard time concentrating as well as frequent slight mood swings but I'm just curious are there any "bi-polar" firefighters out there?

Difficulty concentrating could be depression or ptsd too. Bipolar disorder is serious. Do you go for days on end like you are stoned without sleep? Then days on end when you can't get out of bed? What type of mood swings do you have?

I am sure if you pass all the tests and find a department to get hired by that you will be ok. Normally, mental illness cannot be diagnosed until at least 24 years of age even though I have met some mean kids that I say are bipolar at three.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 22:32   #30
frizz

Quote:

However, I don't believe there is such a thing as Bi-polar. This is just like OCD, or ADHD. It is liberal crap to undermine personal responsibility and self discipline. The typical montra from the liberals "it's not my fault..." or "I can't help it" because "...I'm Bi-polar." or "...I'm ADHD."

So Man-Up! Take responsibility for your own actions.
This is a medical issue, not a "liberal" issue. Why do you insist upon politicizing so many things?

Looking at bipolar, your assertion goes against over two millennia of medicine. Hippocrates knew about it. As for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, it has been known to medicine for over half of a millennium. They have nothing to do with "manning up."

Even ADHD has been recognized for 110 years. I have to wonder if you think schizophrenia is "liberal crap" too. Regardless, both OCD and especially bipolar disorder show markedly abnormal MRI scans.

Before I met my first wife, she had undiagnosed bipolar. She was miserable and desperately sought help. She went to psychiatrists, her priest, she flew to Europe when there was a report about a Virgin Mary sighting and a healing pilgrimage. She came close to suicide.

She was diagnosed after going WAY off the deep end, and she got on lithium. She went from unemployable and barely able to manage her own affairs to working as an accountant.

If you are going to hold strong opinions you need to take the time to learn the facts about the subject first. You also owe the OP an apology. What exactly did he do that he he was not taken responsibility for? Why does he need to "man up."
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:55   #31
FM12
I need AMMO!

Bipolar? Yes. And no.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:41   #32
blacktalon606

There are bipolar everything's out there. That said; unless you have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder... I seriously doubt you are bipolar. Everyone has mood swings from time to time. Everyone has difficulty concentrating on things they don't give a crap about. Bipolar is way different. Unless you are a rapid cycle BP... things tend to happen over months rather than days. There will be a month you are so depressed that you can't get out of bed... followed by a month where you are so charged you can't sleep... and end up going to Vegas, spending every nickel you have, getting married to a stranger and a slew of other poor decisions.

In a nut shell... you can be a fire fighter, cop, doctor, teacher, truck driver or anything else you wanna be. If you are bipolar, get on medicine and stay on medicine for life. Not just when you feel like you need it... it doesn't work if you aren't on it every day. A mood stabilizer... cant stabilize upcoming mood swings if it isn't in your system.
blacktalon606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:49   #33
blacktalon606

Quote:

Dude... I'm about as conservative as they get, but I must say I am glad you have the luxury of believing that Bipolar disorder, and OCD aren't real things. You probably believe things like PTSD and clinical depression are fake too. They aren't man. Those 4 things result in 98% of suicides. Granted... you have never experienced any of that, so you are unable to understand the prospective.

Get an education... people like you make the rest of us conservatives look bad. Or is all education a liberal ploy too?
Old 09-25-2012, 07:57   #34
blacktalon606

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreverSlyFox View Post
I'm retired now, but spent a few lifetimes as an LEO/FF/EMT. If your "truly" Bi-polar (you've be diagnosed) I could never really trust you even if your medication was working. In this kind of field it's NOT just if you risk your own life, but your actions and mental state can put others at risk. If your not 100% you have no place being in that position .... period.

NOW go find out if your truly Bi-polar or not and good luck.
I'm glad you don't work for the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission. Under your rule Bipolar would mean permanent disability. What would you "trust" them to do? "Please sir... may we shine ya shoes sir?"
Old 09-25-2012, 08:05   #35
blacktalon606

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl1288 View Post
I am of the opinion that in the fire service we deal with enough bi-polar people as patients, I don't feel we need to deal with them as a crew member. Whether on a ''psych call'' or a working structure fire, neither is the time to have a ''moment''. The "I'm having a bad day" excuse aint gonna cut it, as any of you seasoned vets knows a bad day at our office gets someone killed or injured.
What type of people DONT you see? If you exclude everyone you are called to help, there will be no firemen.

As a side note... you work with someone who is bipolar. They probably saved your live more than once. But... they can't tell their "brother" about their problem... because you are a bigot. Every single person on this planet has a problem. Some problems are common and acceptable. Some problems are less common... and thus, less understood... and thus less acceptable. He who is without sin may cast the first stone...
Old 09-25-2012, 09:05   #36
blacktalon606

People like most of those chiming in on this thread are EXACTLY why most people who desperately need to seek mental health help don't, and end up dead. You make me sick.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:40   #37
D25
The Quick

Whether or not certain psychological conditions exist isn't the point here. The OP was asking if there are bipolar FFs, and the answer is: yes. In fact there are bipolar everythings.

But, it is a huge disservice to the public, and to our profession to pretend that it isn't a big deal to have certain psychological challenges in this profession. This profession is taxing on many different levels, and our mental health is one of the things that is especially problematic. We deal with emotionally charged situations, dangerous situations, death and dying, suffering, have our natural sleep patterns disrupted, etc., etc.

Kudos to the people that advocate for the legitimacy of psychological conditions. I tend to agree with you- they are legitimate conditions caused by empirical chemical imbalances, and there are issues with the public perception of these challenges. The problem is that just because these conditions are real, it does not follow that people with these conditions are necessarily suitable for service as a FF. Yes, diabetes is real. But should diabetics seek a career as cupcake testers?

So, by all means, advocate and educate. But the idea that there is some sense of entitlement to do whatever everyone else does, simply because you have a real diagnosis, will get people hurt or killed.

Furthermore, the OP is absent from this discussion. We have become all riled up by someone that has frequent, slight mood swings. We all need a CISD.

"i puke real regular. it's healthy. three or four times a year probably. good to get your innards out and warshmoff...." -mitchshrader
D25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:47   #38
blacktalon606

Quote:
Originally Posted by D25 View Post
Whether or not certain psychological conditions exist isn't the point here. The OP was asking if there are bipolar FFs, and the answer is: yes. In fact there are bipolar everythings.

But, it is a huge disservice to the public, and to our profession to pretend that it isn't a big deal to have certain psychological challenges in this profession. This profession is taxing on many different levels, and our mental health is one of the things that is especially problematic. We deal with emotionally charged situations, dangerous situations, death and dying, suffering, have our natural sleep patterns disrupted, etc., etc.

Kudos to the people that advocate for the legitimacy of psychological conditions. I tend to agree with you- they are legitimate conditions caused by empirical chemical imbalances, and there are issues with the public perception of these challenges. The problem is that just because these conditions are real, it does not follow that people with these conditions are necessarily suitable for service as a FF. Yes, diabetes is real. But should diabetics seek a career as cupcake testers?

So, by all means, advocate and educate. But the idea that there is some sense of entitlement to do whatever everyone else does, simply because you have a real diagnosis, will get people hurt or killed.

Furthermore, the OP is absent from this discussion. We have become all riled up by someone that has frequent, slight mood swings. We all need a CISD.
Yeah... the hater's probably ran him off.

Have you ever drank to much? There are those who would argue that you are an alcoholic and have no business in public service. People with problems can do anything you can do, and it is not your job to decide what they can and can not do.

Being a legitimate condition or not; and the consequences of a diagnosis are two very different things. No one will seek the help they need with such persecution for seeking help. The position held by you and others, makes seeking help for bipolar disorder about about like declaring you are a Jew in nazi Germany. You can admit the problem and manage it (but not have a job), or you can pretend it isn't real and shoot yourself.

Everyone talks about people dieing because of issues with bipolar disorder. Show me one. You can't make up a worst case and use it as your entire argument with no proof what so ever. That's what liberals do.

Last edited by blacktalon606; 09-25-2012 at 10:52..
Old 09-25-2012, 11:40   #39
D25
The Quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktalon606 View Post
People with problems can do anything you can do
Wrong.

Quote:
it is not your job to decide what they can and can not do.
Strike two. Turn in an application and come sit down for an interview. You will see what I mean.

Quote:
Everyone talks about people dieing because of issues with bipolar disorder. Show me one. You can't make up a worst case and use it as your entire argument with no proof what so ever. That's what liberals do.
http://www.everyonegoeshome.com/rese...lth/index.html

Everyone talks about it because there is a massive body of peer reviewed research that says FFing is highly stressful, and the consequences are dire. Psychological types love to study FFs because we are in a unique profession that is so highly stressful and relies heavily on teamwork. Not "making up" anything here, and more importantly, not sticking my head in the sand pretending that everything is hunky dory.

I think that's 3.

"i puke real regular. it's healthy. three or four times a year probably. good to get your innards out and warshmoff...." -mitchshrader
Old 09-25-2012, 11:44   #40
D25
The Quick

Quote:
Show me one.
Quote:
You can admit the problem and manage it (but not have a job), or you can pretend it isn't real and shoot yourself.
Didn't you just show yourself one?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:25   #41
blacktalon606

There is a huge body of information studying fire, ems, police, soldiers and the like. I didn't say it wasn't stressful. What does that have to do with anything? You are saying you don't wanna work with people because the job is stressful and you are assuming certain people can not hack it.

Who else won't you work with? Would you refuse to work with someone with PTSD? Those peer review studies you just mentioned have found that MOST FF/EMS/LEO's who show up at a mass trauma scene show signs and symptoms of PTSD. That doesn't mean they can't be a FF. That means they need to get whatever help they need, and keep moving forward.

It is appropriate to say... "Bill isn't pulling his own weight around here, and I don't wanna work with him if he doesn't get it together." It is not appropriate to say, "people with bipolar disorder don't belong in FF, or medicine, or police or any other role." Psych problems are an INDIVIDUAL thing, not a blanket and it is more wide spread than you know.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:44   #42
blacktalon606

Quote:
Originally Posted by D25 View Post
Didn't you just show yourself one?
That's not a real choice when you love your job.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:00   #43
Da-Squad
Capt/Ret.

[quoteWe tell them to get ahold of those fears, to over come those fears. We tell them to be a Man. We tell them to Man the F*uck Up!! ][/quote]

Someone has to keep the makers of the "No Fear Firefighting" and "We Fight What You Fear" along with some other ridiculuse decals and t-shirts in buisniess
Da-Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:42   #44
JuneyBooney

Quote:
There is a huge body of information studying fire, ems, police, soldiers and the like. I didn't say it wasn't stressful. What does that have to do with anything? You are saying you don't wanna work with people because the job is stressful and you are assuming certain people can not hack it.

Who else won't you work with? Would you refuse to work with someone with PTSD? Those peer review studies you just mentioned have found that MOST FF/EMS/LEO's who show up at a mass trauma scene show signs and symptoms of PTSD. That doesn't mean they can't be a FF. That means they need to get whatever help they need, and keep moving forward.

It is appropriate to say... "Bill isn't pulling his own weight around here, and I don't wanna work with him if he doesn't get it together." It is not appropriate to say, "people with bipolar disorder don't belong in FF, or medicine, or police or any other role." Psych problems are an INDIVIDUAL thing, not a blanket and it is more wide spread than you know.
A lot of people are misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder which is the same as manic depression. If you stay up for days on end and then crash for days etc that may be bipolar disorder. They also say that these women teachers who have sex with the young men suffer from bipolar disorder. I have seen this disease up close and if the people are truly bipolar I doubt if they would be leo etc. I have suffered from PTSD for years and it is a memory that never goes away. Would I be dangerous to others... Only if they are the people who caused the injury.I would bet that the op would be a ok as a firefighter.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote