SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-22-2012, 15:48   #1
Jack23
I. B. Glockin'

Ruger Mark II: Dang hammer strut!

I know we have been over this before but I just gave mine a good cleaning and it actually went pretty well for a change.

Mine is the stainless steel, slab-sided, 6 1/2" bull barrel. I bought it in the summer of 2005. Now I'm the kind of guy that I always clean every gun I shoot every time I shoot it. However after about 4 years I got to where I'd just clean the bore and breach and lube the bolt on the Mark II. That doggone hammer strut always gave me fits on reassembly. It continued to shoot very well but after 1600 rounds I caved in and took it apart and was totally disgusted with what I saw. It was absolutely gross. I'll never let it get that dirty again. I don't care how good it shoots.

So I adopted a policy that I'd break it down every 500 rounds. For me that's about 3 trips to the range or one trip to the country. Only once in all the times I've cleaned it did it go back together for me easily on the first try. It has taken me as long as an hour to get it back together and one time I had to put it down and come back to it the next day.

Today I gave it a good going over. It has had 600 rounds through it since the last cleaning but it wasn't all that bad. And to my surprise and delight it went back together on the 2nd try. I had a little trouble getting the bolt stop pin holes in the upper and lower lined up but that has never happened to me before.

This is the most accurate .22 I have and almost the most accurate gun I own period. I had a Bushnell Red Dot scope on it for a while but I took it off because It doesn't show up very well in bright sunlight. Besides I shoot it better through the open sights that came on it.

I guess the bottom line is I do love my Mark II after all. It is a real hoot to shoot. It's like I always say, you don't have to have a big gun to have big fun.
G-17, G-23, G-21, G-36, Ruger blackhawk, ss, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II, Ruger SP101, British Webley MKI .455, Kel-Tec P32, S&W top break .38, S&W 24-3 .44spl N frame Colt 1903 .32, Heritage .22 Combo, Colt AR-15, LE6920.
Jack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 17:49   #2
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I have been shooting a lot of .22 myself, even though I am a reloader. I can get more bullets on target for cheap with the .22.

I subscribe to cleaning after shooting, so I have had mine apart so many times. It's almost old hat when it comes to putting it back together. One thing I did do though was make and add a blast shield. It keeps the trigger parts clean so I only have to take the bolt out and clean it. I don't have to remove the upper anymore.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 18:20   #3
TKM
Lifetime Membership
Shiny Member

Same gun but I had the pin in the bottom of the msh drift to one side far enough to catch on the inside of the frame. Couldn't remove it.

Had to pull the Vgrips, disassemble the mag release catch and go in with dental tools.

Now staked in place to prevent such occasions in the future.

Just in case you ever get the Volquartsen Vcomp, (it's pretty cool) there is a polishing stone Dremel attachment which fits the inside like it was made for it. Buzzes the built up lead and powder residue out most rickytick.
TKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 19:53   #4
HAMMERHEAD

so....
Rimfire Forum
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:23   #5
ronin.45

I love the MKII. Once I got the hang of it I never have any issues anymore.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:58   #6
cola490

I have a Mark I that I bought back in the early 70's, the last time I cleaned it I had to take it to my LGS to reassemble. What a pain, it might be time to look for a 1911 22LR.
cola490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 14:34   #7
Jack23
I. B. Glockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cola490 View Post
I have a Mark I that I bought back in the early 70's, the last time I cleaned it I had to take it to my LGS to reassemble. What a pain, it might be time to look for a 1911 22LR.
That is a great idea. I did the same thing. But take a tip from the voice of experience and DO NOT get a Chiappa. It is a jammomatic (weak magazine springs) POS with the worst floating wedge rear sight I have ever experienced.

It looks pretty nice so I use it for a paper weight (really) but I'll never fire it (or try too) again. I'm back in the market for a .22lr in a 1911 platform. I'm workin' on gettin' the $ together for that little project at we type.
G-17, G-23, G-21, G-36, Ruger blackhawk, ss, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II, Ruger SP101, British Webley MKI .455, Kel-Tec P32, S&W top break .38, S&W 24-3 .44spl N frame Colt 1903 .32, Heritage .22 Combo, Colt AR-15, LE6920.
Jack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 15:11   #8
cola490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack23 View Post
That is a great idea. I did the same thing. But take a tip from the voice of experience and DO NOT get a Chiappa. It is a jammomatic (weak magazine springs) POS with the worst floating wedge rear sight I have ever experienced.

It looks pretty nice so I use it for a paper weight (really) but I'll never fire it (or try too) again. I'm back in the market for a .22lr in a 1911 platform. I'm workin' on gettin' the $ together for that little project at we type.
Thanks for the advice on what not to get, anything on what might be a good shooter? I know I want a 1911 platform with all the 1911 features.

Thanks
cola490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 14:47   #9
HAMMERHEAD

If you want a good 1911 .22, I think you have to start with a real 1911 frame and get a good conversion.
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 16:24   #10
Clem Eastwood

i love them. i can field strip, clean and reasseble one in 20 minutes. reassembly takes about a minute for me. one of my buddies builds car transmissions, and i clean his mkII for him because he doesnt want to deal with it. it just takes practice.

Where men are men, women are men, and teenagers and children are FBI agents.
Clem Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:59   #11
ChiefWPD

In regard the dreaded Ruger take-down issue. Get a Majestic Strip kit. Did this on my MKII and now take-down is a breeze. Really.

http://www.majesticarms.com/id10.html
Old 09-25-2012, 16:27   #12
Clem Eastwood

its easy

Where men are men, women are men, and teenagers and children are FBI agents.
Clem Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 19:53   #13
toshbar
Timber Baron

I think my mkiii 22/45 has 4-5k rounds through it since last cleaning.

BRB. i'm going to get you guys pics of the innards.
2 4 R

toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 20:08   #14
toshbar
Timber Baron

Ahh, here we go:

Make sure to zoom in so you can appreciate the mass amounts of crud.
Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum

Still runs like a champ. A few FTE every once in a while, but i've found it does that no matter if it's freshly cleaned or dirty as a shovel.
2 4 R

Last edited by toshbar; 09-25-2012 at 20:08..
toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote