Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-26-2012, 00:35   #41
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

I've always figured that if gays want to get married, power to them. Next, they'll get to be introduced to gay divorce. Seriously.

But, the legal implications are significant, especially in financial and end-of-life matters. And I don't feel like I should judge who should or should not be "allowed" to marry. I mean if you love someone and want to be with them, then sure, fine. Nobody, especially not the government, should tell you it isn't ok, because of what shape, size, color, or gender you are. If you're of age, fine by me.

As for polygamy (Mitt Romney Mormons start ringing in my head), I guess if that is what people want then ok by me. There could be some trickier financial implications, like insurance and social security benefits, that might need some amending. One guy dies, and twenty women are getting his death benefits? I don't claim to no the details, but a lot of laws are written assuming one husband and one wife, and those may have to be changed if polygamy is allowed. But if everyone consents, sure, it is a free country!!

(and yeah, I have enough trouble with one woman, can't imagine two or more...jeez...)_
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:21   #42
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

If you view the individual as the center of all things, then no, society has no interest and no rightful say in who marries whom.

But the individual is not the center of all things; the individual is not sustainable. It is the family, not the person, that is the building block of society. It is the nuclear and extend family that forms society. That's been true since clans evolved into tribes and defined "their" territory as distinct from others. Society wasn't built around a hodge-lodge of individuals, but around families. And that's why every society of people in recorded history had a say in who marries whom.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:58   #43
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
So if polygamy is having one wife too many, what's the difference between that and regular marriage???

Randy

You know what the punishment for polygamy is, don't you?

Two wives!!
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
QNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:59   #44
QNman
resU deretsigeR

On a serious note, the fed.gov needs to GTFO of the marriage business entirely. Problem solved.
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
QNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:21   #45
frank4570
Silver Membership

Why is the govt wasting MY money being the morality police? Freakin ridiculous.

If my neighbor wants to have 2 wives I don't give a damn as long as he doesn't try to recruit MY wife. Stupid laws.
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:30   #46
frank4570
Silver Membership

The reason the family is important is it gives the members a chance to meet each other, help each other, and learn from each other. Wisdom is passed from older to younger, and younger folks are helped to get started.
The numbers don't matter. A person who is naturally monogamous will learn the same things from a polyamorous family." Respect your elders, eat your veggies, take care of your family, don't buy stuff you can't afford, call us if your car breaks down, etc, etc, etc."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
If you view the individual as the center of all things, then no, society has no interest and no rightful say in who marries whom.

But the individual is not the center of all things; the individual is not sustainable. It is the family, not the person, that is the building block of society. It is the nuclear and extend family that forms society. That's been true since clans evolved into tribes and defined "their" territory as distinct from others. Society wasn't built around a hodge-lodge of individuals, but around families. And that's why every society of people in recorded history had a say in who marries whom.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:39   #47
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
I see nothing wrong with it as long as you don't collect wives.........

Good people sleep peaceable in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Regards
DW

Last edited by Dalton Wayne; 09-26-2012 at 08:41..
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:06   #48
Gary W Trott
Prickley Fan

Political Issues
Gay marriage? Sure....They should have
the right to be as miserable as the rest of us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"What I want most from the government is to be left alone." GWT
"Don't take my, or anyone else's, word for anything. Look it up for yourself." William Cooper on The Hour of The Time
Gary W Trott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:28   #49
Gunnut 45/454

So everyone is ok with the Scumbag that will not work to support his six wives that have ten kids and lives in Government housing ,on welfare and food stamps? You going to pay more in taxes just so they can live the life they want?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:34   #50
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

NAMBLA and B4U-Act to lower age of consent...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:36   #51
frank4570
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
So everyone is ok with the Scumbag that will not work to support his six wives that have ten kids and lives in Government housing ,on welfare and food stamps? You going to pay more in taxes just so they can live the life they want?
Compared to the bazillion single moms in the trailer parks and the ghetto?

How in the world do you figure that being a polygamist causes a person to become a deadbeat? Isn't that like how guns turn people into murderers?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:39   #52
SPIN2010
Searching ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
I'm not against either. Why have such laws? .
That is a great question!

Here is one problematic view of polygamy issue:

A person can marry several wives and they all can be on the system as none of them "have" to work (making a great number to set benefit amounts). Let's use a family of six as an example (hubby and his five wives). It would make that sixteen people to draw off your taxes by the act of polygamy if they just decide to have two kids per wife.

Sound good? Not to me.

EDIT: I see I got beat to the punch, good post gunnut 45

Last edited by SPIN2010; 09-26-2012 at 09:40..
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:49   #53
frank4570
Silver Membership

Why is that different than a piece of crap in the trailer park who gets a bunch of women pregnant and they all are on welfare RIGHT NOW?

If you are saying you don't want MORE people on that system, then ok, I get that. But I don't see how making polygamy illegal accomplishes that. The women are just as pregnant and on govt assistance whether they are married or not. I think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIN2010 View Post

A person can marry several wives and they all can be on the system as none of them "have" to work (making a great number to set benefit amounts). Let's use a family of six as an example (hubby and his five wives). It would make that sixteen people to draw off your taxes by the act of polygamy if they just decide to have two kids per wife.

Sound good? Not to me.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:53   #54
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDL-UP View Post
There will be no end to it as long as they get to "re-define" marriage. It sure looks like government shouldn't be involved AT ALL!

My opposition to homosexual "marriage" is largely because a homosexual couple will raise children with a warped sense of relationships between the sexes. Now.... if children weren't involved then who really cares?
Exactly. Two women can't teach a boy how to be a man.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:09   #55
frank4570
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Really? What knowledge is there that a human male can teach, but a human female can not?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:19   #56
Gundude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIN2010 View Post

Sound good? Not to me.

So these people wouldn't exist or "draw off my taxes" if it wasn't for polygamy? What is it about them being married that suddenly makes me have to pay for it?
Gundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:32   #57
Rabbit994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Maybe not, but neither can single mothers. I think two people in loving relationship have better chance then single mother who is constantly trying to find love and failing.

For those who are lamenting the break down of traditional families, I'm not sure what to tell you. That broke down a long time ago and gay marriage is not going to do any damage that hasn't been already done. You can blame godless heathens (that's fine, I get blamed for alot of things), lack of school prayer, women voting or the 60s. At some point, to quote John Ross "You have to stop building sand castles and take up surfing."

As for original post about polygamy, I don't really see the issue with it because at least they are trying to be all proper about it.

Sam, how many calls have you taken about BS Baby Mama drama that involves two ladies fighting over the same dude? Polygamy is here whether or not it's official.
Rabbit994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 14:53   #58
frank4570
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit994 View Post

Sam, how many calls have you taken about BS Baby Mama drama that involves two ladies fighting over the same dude? Polygamy is here whether or not it's official.
That might be sig line material right there.
Old 09-26-2012, 15:03   #59
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit994 View Post
True. The reason I object to the laws here in Kentucky against both Bigamy/Polygamy and snake handling is that they both penalize something on purely religious grounds.

You can have a house full of snakes and handle them all you want, in Kentucky, but if you do it during a religious ceremony it becomes a crime - clearly an unconstitutional law, where the practice of religion is the only difference between legal and illegal.

The same is true of bigamy/polygamy - as many men and women as want to can live together, have sex, etc., but if they have a religious ceremony to declare themselves married, they become criminals (it apparently doesn't require an actual government marriage license and certificate to make it a crime). Obviously, that same argument applies equally to gay marriage, except that gay marriage isn't a crime.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 15:10   #60
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

And what is your opinion of gays fighting to lower age of consent laws so they can have sex with minors? If they can have sex with them, they'll be able to marry them, too.

Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote