GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 19:58   #101
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyerbill View Post
Easily the most ignorant post in the history of the internet
Easily the most useless post in the history of the internet. Entirely devoid of any useful content.

Usually only see responses like that when the original post they were referring to is absolutely correct, and they can't come up with anything that even resembles a coherent argument against it.

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:39   #102
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Are you suggesting that theists don't try to enact laws based on their religious beliefs?
He's not going to respond. He's just a drive by dumb ass.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:08   #103
mike g35
RACEGUN SHOOTER
 
mike g35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Charleston W.V.
Posts: 2,249
I won't try explaining my beliefs to you guys, it's not my place to push my religion on you or anyone else for that matter. The word "FAITH" means exactly that. To see god and his works you must first recognize his existence and acknowledge his works.
I've walked in the light and in the darkness. I will not go into detail but trust me this is a fact. I am a cancer survivor and I've seen death up close and personal. When you eventually meet the cold dark reality of your own mortality you'll realize what faith is and your views might change.
The thing is I do not believe we will be judged, or burn in hell, or move into a golden house on a golden street yadda yadda yadda, I believe when we die we move to a higher plane of consciousness. Why do I believe this? Because I've been there.....twice. There IS more to come after you die.
And at the very least even the atheists have to admit that holy books like the bible, the Koran, the Talmud, etc give us all a set of values and rules to live by that make the world a better place.
Human nature is proof of gods existence. We can explain everything except why we do what we do. Is it just some weird chaotic bunch of electrical signals sent to the brain, or is there something more at work there?




Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
Carver Custom Team
GSSF, USPSA, NRA
www.bb-enterprise.biz
mike g35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:32   #104
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
I won't try explaining my beliefs to you guys, it's not my place to push my religion on you or anyone else for that matter.
Understand that what I will say below is not an attempt to take away your faith... you're entitled to it and that's all good.

Quote:
The word "FAITH" means exactly that. To see god and his works you must first recognize his existence and acknowledge his works.
You are injecting the belief of your personal God into things we know come about from very natural means. A leaf falls from a tree, "See... God did that." Which is fine if that's what you want to believe, but it isn't factual or real just because you believe it is.

Quote:
I am a cancer survivor and I've seen death up close and personal.
Good for you. I hope you're recovering well.

Quote:
When you eventually meet the cold dark reality of your own mortality you'll realize what faith is and your views might change.
Understand this is one of the primary powers over the mind that religion has. It helps ease people's fear of their own mortality. It makes the religious less afraid of death because they believe that it isn't really an end but a new beginning. Which is a nice idea, but there is nothing substantial to prove that it's real. On the negative side this is what also makes suicide bombers not afraid to blow themselves up... because of that promise of a new beginning in paradise.

Quote:
The thing is I do not believe we will be judged, or burn in hell, or move into a golden house on a golden street yadda yadda yadda, I believe when we die we move to a higher plane of consciousness.
That is a very non-christian outlook. What faith do you conform to?

Quote:
Why do I believe this? Because I've been there.....twice. There IS more to come after you die.
If you're talking about a near death experience there are several very natural elements that can cause this. 1. Simply the brain running with little to no oxygen can cause an hallucination. Such an experience can seem real because it is like an extremely vivid dream. One in which the dreamer is not aware it is a dream. And 2. There is some research that shows the pineal gland is capable of producing a substance called Dimethyltryptamine or DMT. It is basically a psychedelic hallucinogen that creates a powerful hallucination. Most accounts of recreational DMT use have very closely mirrored near death experiences. Just like your bowels release at death... perhaps also does your pineal gland which floods your brain with DMT creating a vivid near death experience.

I know... it sucks the magic right out of it and makes it seem very cold and clinical. But reality is often like that.

Quote:
And at the very least even the atheists have to admit that holy books like the bible, the Koran, the Talmud, etc give us all a set of values and rules to live by that make the world a better place.
Not true. More people fight and kill one another over religion than anything else in this world. And the basic human morals and ethics that you might find in the Bible... were not invented by its writers. The men who wrote the Bible, the Torah, the Koran... did not invent these moral ideals. They have been a part of man for a long time. And the morality issues that the writers of these books DID invent aren't all that useful... like premarital sex being evil or somehow lowering the value of a woman as a human being. Or that because two men are in love with one another that they are are somehow wicked or evil. This sort of moral view is archaic and barbaric and better left in ancient history. We're too grown for such childish views anymore.

Quote:
Human nature is proof of gods existence.
No it isn't. The invention of God by man is a facet of human nature.

Quote:
We can explain everything except why we do what we do.
The study of psychology, psychiatry, sociology, biology, chemistry and many others have absolutely given us massive insight into our nature and why we do what we do. Most often is it based on a desire to survive and reproduce. Research Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Religion is a survival cushion. We fear death therefore we believe in something that will either save us from it or make it not such a bad thing. (The belief in eternal life).

Quote:
Is it just some weird chaotic bunch of electrical signals sent to the brain, or is there something more at work there?
Nothing concrete suggests that there is more.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:05   #105
mike g35
RACEGUN SHOOTER
 
mike g35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Charleston W.V.
Posts: 2,249
"That is a very non-christian outlook. What faith do you conform to?"

That's just it, I don't conform to any religion. I base my beliefs on the fact that there's a higher power than myself. That's it, that's all. I don't think any religion has it right. If one was ever close it was the Native American belief system IMO. Everything has its place and its own spirit. And we should follow only the rules that nature applies. Per-marital sex and other things will not damn anyone IMO. A merciful god must be understanding of the things he programmed into our very nature. I'm a proud member of the church of I don't know but I believe. That keeps me in tune with my faith but keeps me from being at war with others for doing the same. I actually would say I'm a Christian, but only because of true Christian morals and values I was brought up with. I don't think any one religion is right, I think leading a good life is right.



Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
Carver Custom Team
GSSF, USPSA, NRA
www.bb-enterprise.biz
mike g35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:24   #106
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 13,342


Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
And at the very least even the atheists have to admit that holy books like the bible, the Koran, the Talmud, etc give us all a set of values and rules to live by that make the world a better place.
Actually, I don't think many atheists would agree with you on that topic (although some would). I for one believe that these sorts of religious texts have caused far more harm than good. There is nothing more dangerous than for a people to hold the collective delusion in their mind that they alone have the truth and know what is best for everyone else. That sort of thinking leads to the justification of unimaginable atrocities.

Quote:
Human nature is proof of gods existence. We can explain everything except why we do what we do. Is it just some weird chaotic bunch of electrical signals sent to the brain, or is there something more at work there?
You are stumbling around a profound point with this and it is one I've often pondered, but made no progress on. As DesCartes said, "I think therefore I am", but if all I am is an advanced electrochemical computer than that should not be the case. I should be as hollow in thought as the computer sitting on my desk. A very capable device to be sure, but still only a machine.

But I know that I am not. I am self-aware and knowledgeable of my own conscious mind. How can that be? It hints at me being more than the sum of my parts in some way. More than a tub of water mixed with a bucket full of chemicals. What I know of my composition doesn't explain this sentient capacity that I know I have.

Some see that as proof of the soul, but that is to far of a logical leap. There is nothing to indicate that a "soul" exists or if it does, that it is eternal in some way and can live beyond the body. All that I really know is that there is something more to the explanation than the information we currently have would indicate.
__________________
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 09-26-2012 at 12:26..
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:42   #107
scccdoc
Senior Member
 
scccdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
The thing is, Arrow, that scientists can't explain what happened in the 'Before Time/Space.' Nor can they explain why quantum mechanics exposes so much absurdity at the building block level of the universe.

I for one believe that the answer to the debate between theists and humanists is simple: We are children, barely beginning to discern the truth.

Some theists are beginning to appreciate that the search for truth is not heresy.

That's a good thing. And many humanists are beginning to grasp the concept that the incredible complexity of the physical universe we are starting to understand points us to a spiritual (or at least metaphysical) puzzle that can't be ignored.

Again, we are barely beyond the infant stage in our understanding of the true nature of things. To bicker and argue about it is a toddler's game. We should all wonder (and wonder at) this amazing thing we call life.

Logic has its place, as does faith. We should all seek the truth - together.
I almost had a heart attack when I read your response. I wish ALL would adopt your line of thinking so far as getting along with one another........... DOC
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 13:03   #108
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
"That is a very non-christian outlook. What faith do you conform to?"

That's just it, I don't conform to any religion. I base my beliefs on the fact that there's a higher power than myself. That's it, that's all. I don't think any religion has it right. If one was ever close it was the Native American belief system IMO. Everything has its place and its own spirit. And we should follow only the rules that nature applies. Per-marital sex and other things will not damn anyone IMO. A merciful god must be understanding of the things he programmed into our very nature. I'm a proud member of the church of I don't know but I believe. That keeps me in tune with my faith but keeps me from being at war with others for doing the same. I actually would say I'm a Christian, but only because of true Christian morals and values I was brought up with. I don't think any one religion is right, I think leading a good life is right.
I can appreciate all of that.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 13:14   #109
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Some see that as proof of the soul, but that is to far of a logical leap. There is nothing to indicate that a "soul" exists or if it does, that it is eternal in some way and can live beyond the body. All that I really know is that there is something more to the explanation than the information we currently have would indicate.
I've had this conversation with my chick (Who is a militant Atheist). If I HAD to conceive of what an afterlife might be like, what would seem logical to me? My thought (and this is in no way a belief I hold but more of an imagining) is that the energy that is in our brain, the electrical charges that go jumping around as our mind works may be a key to our consciousness. Perhaps the way that energy interacts with our unique brains is what makes us who we are. That and our learned experiences stored in chemical memory. Energy continues on. Perhaps when our bodies die we exist as just that energy. That is our consciousness... it is "Us" in flash drive form. And perhaps, being no longer attached to our flesh and blood bodies with sensory input and nerve endings... our reality is simply whatever we imagine it is. One long never ending dream floating around the cosmos. And perhaps that is what the living... sense as God. But, as I've told many here, there is nothing of substance to show that is the case.

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 09-26-2012 at 13:15..
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 14:01   #110
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 13,342


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Perhaps when our bodies die we exist as just that energy. That is our consciousness... it is "Us" in flash drive form.
To argue more against myself (than against anything you said), the flip side of my own argment is that there is no area of our conscious mind that can not be manipulated by direct interaction with the brain. Studies show that electrodes inserted into the various regions can directly manipulate the part of the mind that area regulates. They can cause hallucinatory sensory input, trigger emotions, even interfere with memory recall, problem solving or speech. Similar results are observed with traumatic brain injuries, sometimes even resulting in permanent personality changes. With such a direct a causal relationship between the brain and consciousness it's hard to conclude anything other than that we are nothing more than our own brain.
__________________
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 14:36   #111
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
To argue more against myself (than against anything you said), the flip side of my own argment is that there is no area of our conscious mind that can not be manipulated by direct interaction with the brain. Studies show that electrodes inserted into the various regions can directly manipulate the part of the mind that area regulates. They can cause hallucinatory sensory input, trigger emotions, even interfere with memory recall, problem solving or speech. Similar results are observed with traumatic brain injuries, sometimes even resulting in permanent personality changes. With such a direct a causal relationship between the brain and consciousness it's hard to conclude anything other than that we are nothing more than our own brain.
Oh I agree. I just ponder if it's the energy that drives the machine. I'm sure with time and study we'll figure it all out. Look how far we've come from sacrificing children to beings in the sky.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 15:19   #112
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 13,342


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Look how far we've come from sacrificing children to beings in the sky.
Oh crap! Was that today!?

Religious Issues

__________________
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 09-26-2012 at 15:20..
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 17:09   #113
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Oh crap! Was that today!?

Religious Issues

You have time. The baby sacrificing deadline is Friday.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 22:32   #114
Blast
'nuff said
 
Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NKY/Cincinnati area
Posts: 19,621


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Oh I agree. I just ponder if it's the energy that drives the machine. I'm sure with time and study we'll figure it all out. Look how far we've come from sacrificing children to beings in the sky.
And what religion would that be? Certainly not Christianity or Judaism or even Islam.
What a fanciful hallucination. It's hilarious how some of the atheists here make up their own tenets for a particular religion.

Clear evidence of the emotionally disturbed. There is professional help out there. Seek it, you need it.

Religious Issues
__________________
A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be - Albert Einstein
Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 22:47   #115
ggaston
Member
 
ggaston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 49
What religion was Jephthah?


Outdoor Hub Mobile

Last edited by ggaston; 09-26-2012 at 23:10..
ggaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 23:20   #116
brokenprism
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
And at the very least even the atheists have to admit that holy books like the bible, the Koran, the Talmud, etc give us all a set of values and rules to live by that make the world a better place.
I don't why this jumped out at me, but the capitalization pattern is interesting. I wonder if it's a subconscious, or a conscious thing. Too intentional (2 out of 3 are capped) to be a typo. Curious.
brokenprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 00:09   #117
brokenprism
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Because you're logic is weak. Many of us are tired of the weak logic used to foment hostility towards anyone who disagree with you. You can't live and let live.
I don't know what you mean by weak logic. I may have come late to the annoying evangelizing party I sometimes see here, but I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I don't have that kind of power. I don't argue for the existence of God, or the truth of the Bible -- I assume it. I expect people not to believe or be interested in/sympathetic to the gospel -- it's our natural state. To be honest, what knocks me off my feet is when I meet someone who is a pedigreed Christian.


Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
1. That's a very prideful statement. Maybe your pride ran him off.

2. Seems you completely misread that "young brother". God didn't give you very good guidance. Maybe you need to look inward rather than outward.
I wasn't trying to be prideful -- I was trying to be informative, using terms and concepts I assumed buzznRose would understand, if he is a Christian. It was an in-house debate there for a minute, and I stepped on his toes. I don't like to start sentences with "I believe that..." or "in my humble opinion..." not because my opinions are pride-based, but because I'm convinced of my convictions. If I'm not sure of what I'm saying, why say it at all? I've been around this forum just long enough that I assume we know I subscribe to Protestant doctrine, and within that, Calvinst sub-doctrine. I've spent 37 years studying, and it landed me in a place that actually puts me outside a lot of religious circles. Calvinism is regarded as highly rigid (doesn't feel rigid to me), exclusive (it certainly is that, but so is all Christianity ["No one comes to the Father but by Me..."]), and -- believe it or not -- overly cerebral. We're accused of being too interested in doctrine, and not interested enough in people.

I think what happened was that my Calvinist leanings offended him and he bailed. I'm actually somewhat in company with the atheists here, in that the majority of western Christendom regards the Reformers' teachings as hostile and counter-productive to the soft-rock evangelism that's been so popular since the 70s.

"brokenprism,
Why did you back off your claim that you haven't seen any Christians on this forum? -ArtificialGrape"


I didn't know I had, but if it seemed that way, maybe I was backpeddling so as not to offend anyone. (I violated my own principle of not apologizing. ; )

But if pressed, I'd say I don't think I have seen evidence of consistent classical Christianity in the comments of those who identify themselves as Christians. Most of the comments give evidence of some kind that they are 'corrupted' by a non-Christian belief, influence, or personal spin on things. There is such a thing as a pure, Biblical Theology -- and then there's Everything Else. Doesn't matter what -- Islam, science, atheism, LDS, whatever. Historically, the refinement of Christian Theology reached its apex in the writings of Calvin, Zwingli, and others, who took Luther's excellent start at recovering the gospel, and cleaned it up a little. That Theology is largely in disfavor today among people of 'faith,' but it doesn't mean it wasn't right -- it means there are a lot of 'churched' unbelievers. Not wolves maybe, but at least dogs in sheep's clothing.

So anyway, I took buzz to task -- as I thought I had a right to do, as a fellow believer -- for his deconstructed Christian views: that God loves everyone and will wait forever, pleading with people to believe; that we all have an opportunity to exercise free will and believe when we're ready, to the end that our souls are saved. He doesn't. We don't. We can't and won't believe without assistance -- more than assistance: a resurrection of the stillborn soul that frees the will so it can choose God. This is pure Protestant Theology. Buzz should have known that, and if he is regenerated, he should have believed it. But I don't think he did, and I pissed him off.
brokenprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:01   #118
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprism View Post
I don't know what you mean by weak logic.
He probably means things like assuming your conclusion and then reasoning from that point.
Quote:
I may have come late to the annoying evangelizing party I sometimes see here, but I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I don't have that kind of power. I don't argue for the existence of God, or the truth of the Bible -- I assume it.
This kind of thing, which seems endemic among Calvinists.
Quote:
I expect people not to believe or be interested in/sympathetic to the gospel -- it's our natural state.
Perhaps people simply don't accept your interpretations and conclusions because there's no evidence to lead to those conclusions.
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Animal Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:54   #119
snowbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: land of the free
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Understand this is one of the primary powers over the mind that religion has. It helps ease people's fear of their own mortality. It makes the religious less afraid of death because they believe that it isn't really an end but a new beginning. Which is a nice idea, but there is nothing substantial to prove that it's real. On the negative side this is what also makes suicide bombers not afraid to blow themselves up... because of that promise of a new beginning in paradise.

More people fight and kill one another over religion than anything else in this world.

Or that because two men are in love with one another that they are are somehow wicked or evil. This sort of moral view is archaic and barbaric and better left in ancient history. We're too grown for such childish views anymore.

The study of psychology, psychiatry, sociology, biology, chemistry and many others have absolutely given us massive insight into our nature and why we do what we do.
The Bible tells us 'by their fruits ye shall know them'. Blowing yourself up to murder innocent people is evil. Doing this in hopes of getting 72 virgins in Allah's bordello is also evil. The fact that the Left aids and abets this evil 'religion' tells us a lot about the Left. Of course, we shouldn't be too surprised; after all, the Left murdered 100 million innocent men, women and children in the 20th century in the name of atheistic communism, and many millions more in the name of mostly-atheistic National SOCIALISM.

If we realize that class-hatred and class-warfare, standard Marxist fare, amounts to a false religion based on the sin of envy, then, yes, I suppose you could say that people fight and kill more over religion than anything else. The Bible tells us that Satan has fooled many.

The Bible tells us that sodomy is an abomination. Modern epidemiology tells us that AIDS is rampant primarily in sodomist circles. Tell us again which "childish views" we've outgrown?

'The study of psychology, psychiatry, sociology, biology, chemistry and many others'...should lead us to humble awe at what God hath wrought, rather than arrogant hubris about our supposed 'massive insight'.

The Bible tells us that pride goes before a fall.
__________________
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
-T. Roosevelt, President 1901-09, US soldier, martial artist, hiker, agriculteral worker, and conservationist, among other things.

Last edited by snowbird; 09-27-2012 at 06:56..
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:45   #120
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Tell HIM that, too.....

Hey JB.

Did the old addage of "you'll go blind if you do that" or "You'll grow hair on your palms" work well on you as a kid?

Something tells me it did.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:51   #121
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprism View Post
I don't know what you mean by weak logic. I may have come late to the annoying evangelizing party I sometimes see here, but I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I don't have that kind of power. I don't argue for the existence of God, or the truth of the Bible -- I assume it.
That's not logical. Why not cut out the middle man and just assume you're God. There's as much evedince for one as there is for the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprism View Post
I expect people not to believe or be interested in/sympathetic to the gospel -- it's our natural state. To be honest, what knocks me off my feet is when I meet someone who is a pedigreed Christian.
What do you mean by pedigreed Christian? If you mean someone who was raised Christian and knows the Scriptures quite well, they're many of them in this forum. Does it knock yok off your feet to know that anyone could know as much as you do and disagree with you? See any pride in that position?


Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprism View Post
I wasn't trying to be prideful -- I was trying to be informative, using terms and concepts I assumed buzznRose would understand, if he is a Christian.
You talked down to him. You were condescending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprism View Post
I'm convinced of my convictions.
Whick you assume without proof. You're also porud of them and feel the need to advertise.


Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprism View Post
If I'm not sure of what I'm saying, why say it at all? I've been around this forum just long enough that I assume we know I subscribe to Protestant doctrine, and within that, Calvinst sub-doctrine.
More pride and egotism. I doubt most here think about your doctrine at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprism View Post
But if pressed, I'd say I don't think I have seen evidence of consistent classical Christianity in the comments of those who identify themselves as Christians. Most of the comments give evidence of some kind that they are 'corrupted' by a non-Christian belief, influence, or personal spin on things. There is such a thing as a pure, Biblical Theology -- and then there's Everything Else.
Pure, Biblical Theology as defined by you that you assume without evidence. Everyone else wrong, but you're not prideful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprism View Post
So anyway, I took buzz to task -- as I thought I had a right to do, as a fellow believer -- for his deconstructed Christian views
Do you see anything vain or condescending in that statement. I'm not sure where the Bible says, "Go ye therfore and condescend". This type of arragonce is one of the many things that make people hostile to religion.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:05   #122
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
And what religion would that be? Certainly not Christianity or Judaism or even Islam.
You don't know much about history do ya. The culture that the Jewish religion was born out of was the Mesopotamian culture. Abraham (if he even really existed) was a Mesopotamian. They believed in multiple Gods and it wasn't uncommon for them to sacrifice virgins or babies. Abraham selected one god of their lot to listen to over all others and that later became Yaweh... Your God. And that God commanded Abraham to kill his own child... although he said "Just foolin" right at the end as a test of Abraham's faith. Historians believe that more so than just a legend about the strength of Abrahams faith... whoever wrote these stories was claiming an end to human sacrifice in the name of an God. It was one more step out of animal behavior for mankind. However, even the jews still believed in animal sacrifice in the temple. So, still barabaric... just not savage.


Quote:
What a fanciful hallucination. It's hilarious how some of the atheists here make up their own tenets for a particular religion.
Man, you're really stupid aren't ya? I said in the exact same post this is not what I believe. Just the only way I can imagine there being an afterlife. In other words I don't believe in Ghosts, and demons, and goblins, and wizardry like you religious folks. If there is an afterlife the only way I can imagine it is via just a different form of natural existence or perception.

Last edited by Glock36shooter; 09-27-2012 at 09:05..
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:54   #123
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
The Bible tells us 'by their fruits ye shall know them'.
Yeah it also says women were made from our rib.

Quote:
Blowing yourself up to murder innocent people is evil. Doing this in hopes of getting 72 virgins in Allah's bordello is also evil.
The crusades were also evil. The catholic ordeals were also evil. The Spanish inquisition was also evil. And the millions of people killed throughout the centuries for being witches, possessed, or in league with demons was also evil. All of this done in the name of YOUR God. Fruits indeed.

Quote:
The fact that the Left aids and abets this evil 'religion' tells us a lot about the Left.
The left of what?

Quote:
Of course, we shouldn't be too surprised; after all, the Left murdered 100 million innocent men, women and children in the 20th century in the name of atheistic communism, and many millions more in the name of mostly-atheistic National SOCIALISM.
No one here has proven that Atheism in and of itself is responsible for this. Believing in nothing is just that... it's a lack of belief. Atheism has no code, no dogma, no standard or mantra. Please illustrate what Atheistic BELIEFS or precepts on which this murder is based?

Quote:
If we realize that class-hatred and class-warfare, standard Marxist fare
Are you kidding me? There are more racists, screw the poor power hungry rich, and judgmental religious nuts on the right in America than on the left. You wanna talk about class warfare, the right specializes in it. I've been a conservative most of my life but it's mostly because they protect the 2nd amendment. But the party itself is spear headed by the worst people American has to offer. Bigoted power hungry holier than thou evangelical corporate raiders.

Quote:
I suppose you could say that people fight and kill more over religion than anything else.
They do. Not just yours... all of them. It's nonsense that gives man reason to murder one another. Over a being who's existence hasn't even a single shred of evidence.

Quote:
The Bible tells us that Satan has fooled many.
It also says you can rape a woman if you pay for her afterword. Classy book.

Quote:
The Bible tells us that sodomy is an abomination.
Yet my chick loves it. Not every night mind you... just on the weekends. The Bible also says not to eat shellfish. You ever had lobster? I don't think you'd give me an honest answer but have you ever had premarital sex? Have you ever been drunk? Got any tattoos?

Quote:
Modern epidemiology tells us that AIDS is rampant primarily in sodomist circles.
This is no longer true. It has spread like wildfire through Africa via heterosexual activity. And sodomists aren't just homosexuals. Like I said... I happen to know one personally.

Quote:
Tell us again which "childish views" we've outgrown?
That homosexuality is evil. It isn't. People who think so are backwards, stupid, and bigoted. It's that simple. The numbers of Christians and all religious denominations are shrinking in America. You can't deny this. We're waking up from man's childhood and leaving our bed time stories behind. In another 50 years this nation will only be about 50% religious. Of course as the number of people who remain deluded within religion shrink those numbers will be the most crazy and extremist like you. But eventually the religious will become a minority. And we Atheist promise that we will treat you with more compassion than you've treated us throughout the centuries. We won't burn any of you at the stake, or stretch you, or put you in the iron maiden.

Quote:
The study of psychology, psychiatry, sociology, biology, chemistry and many others'...should lead us to humble awe at what God hath wrought, rather than arrogant hubris about our supposed 'massive insight'.
No, they lead us to KNOW that for all these things to be... you just don't really need God. They just kinda happen on their own. And they also teach us that just because you believe in God with all your heart... doesn't make it true.

Quote:
The Bible tells us that pride goes before a fall.
Yet it also tells us Jesus got into a fight with a fig tree. Real tough guy.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:26   #124
snowbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: land of the free
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Man, you're really stupid aren't ya?
Speaking of stupid, progressives (you claim to have 'long been conservative', so maybe you're a Ronulan, but they're indistinguishable from regular Marxists when it comes to hatred for traditional America and its Christianity) have always been too stupid to understand that their undermining of more advanced human societies will restore more primitive, brutal social and political systems.

In Russia, libs (Bolsheviks) brought down a so-so government and installed a communist czar (Lenin, then Stalin) with a hyper-brutal corruption of feudalism (collectivism). In the Arab Spring, they brought back black-flag Muslim armies, the kind against which the Crusades were waged in an often flawed, but basically justifiable, self-defense military action. Worse, libs have treasonously brought these modern black-flag Muslim armies the streets of London, Sydney, Paris, New York, Dearborn, Michigan, etc. Today's total of deadly Muslim attacks just since 9/11, has now climbed to 19,660. Proud of yourself? Think you're so smart?

The Left has been marginalizing Christians and destroying Western national identities, while letting millions of Muslims immigrate, riot in our streets, and demand Islamic theocracy.

That's stupid.
__________________
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
-T. Roosevelt, President 1901-09, US soldier, martial artist, hiker, agriculteral worker, and conservationist, among other things.

Last edited by snowbird; 09-27-2012 at 10:30..
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:33   #125
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
Speaking of stupid, progressives (you claim to have 'long been conservative', so maybe you're a Ronulan, but they're indistinguishable from regular Marxists when it comes to hatred for traditional America and its Christianity) have always been too stupid to understand that their undermining of more advanced human societies will restore more primitive, brutal social and political systems.

In Russia, libs (Bolsheviks) brought down a so-so government and installed a communist czar (Lenin, then Stalin) with a hyper-brutal corruption of feudalism (collectivism). In the Arab Spring, they brought back black-flag Muslim armies, the kind against which the Crusades were waged in an often flawed, but basically justifiable, self-defense military action. Worse, libs have treasonously brought these modern black-flag Muslim armies the streets of London, Sydney, Paris, New York, etc. Today's total of deadly Muslim attacks just since 9/11, has now climbed to 19,660. Proud of yourself? Think you're so smart?

The Left has been marginalizing Christians and destroying Western national identities, while letting millions of Muslims immigrate, riot in our streets, and demand Islamic theocracy.

That's stupid.
Soon man will shed his need for mythology and fairy tales. Won't stop us from killing one another I'm afraid, but at least we'll stop doing it in the name of invisible men in the sky. Mark my words... your religion as well as others are dying in this nation. I will always defend a person's right to believe what they wish so long as they don't try and push it on me or legislate it. But I am happy to see it fading into the background.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:19.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,017
291 Members
726 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42