SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:18   #41
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
^^^ That's the most logical explanation I've heard.
Amen...!!

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:25   #42
HexHead

First of all, the Raleigh-Durham-Cary area isn't the South. You might as well be living in New Jersey.

Secondly, blame the leftist controlled public education system with it's progressive agenda. All through school, you probably were told guns were bad, pictures of guns or even pointing your finger at another student on the playground was grounds for zero tolerance treatment.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:44   #43
SevenSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexHead View Post
First of all, the Raleigh-Durham-Cary area isn't the South. You might as well be living in New Jersey.

Secondly, blame the leftist controlled public education system with it's progressive agenda. All through school, you probably were told guns were bad, pictures of guns or even pointing your finger at another student on the playground was grounds for zero tolerance treatment.
Yea.. your right

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2
SevenSlugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:40   #44
SCmasterblaster

I would say that a vast majority of people your age have grown up with a steady drum-beat of anti-gun propaganda in our public schools.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:51   #45
SevenSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I would say that a vast majority of people your age have grown up with a steady drum-beat of anti-gun propaganda in our public schools.
My point exactly

Old 09-25-2012, 17:19   #46
CharlieDelta127

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimdelacrim View Post
23 here
I can still see the posters hanging in my grade school now...

Man, now that you mention it, I can picture those ugly things too. We had a big bullentin board right outside our principals office. Always a poster or two up there about gun-violence.

I agree totally it's the fault of our society.... Terrible thing it is.
CharlieDelta127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:52   #47
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSlugs View Post
Who else on this forum is even under 25??

I'll be 24 in October.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:08   #48
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
23 here

I mainly attribute it to the era in which we grew up. Where I live, hunting is probably the most important/profitable pastime. Even still, I find the number of handguns owned by hunters shockingly low. I believe this is because of the way we were exposed to guns.

The Brady Bill was signed when we were kids and the 90's introduced school shootings. Instead of promoting gun safety and helping kids learn how to respect guns instead of fear them, guns were demonized like drugs and alcohol. I can still see the posters hanging in my grade school now...

I believe this caused a curiosity, a stigma if you will, with guns that was not there before. Before us, men grew up being gradually introduced to guns as well as either knowing someone who was drafted or being drafted themselves. The 90's were a decade of gun fear. Think of Power Rangers. They were awesome. Now that we are older, it is clear that they feed the violent side of cool for kids. It is even easy to see why someone our age may look back and say "that just teaches violents to kids even though I thought it was cool when I was one."

This is our generations exposure to guns. What was exposed to us was a dark, visceral, cool, forbidden thing that was phased out as soon as most kids got older because guns were just another one of those things you thought were cool when you were younger. If you don't have much more exposure to them, they become that thing that was cool before the first gameboy...or ipod touch now.

It isn't our fault. It is society's. That is what is up with our generation.
I agree, but will have to disagree on a part of your post.

It sounds like you're blaming the media/entertainment industry that glorify violence, which is just another scapegoat people use, for insane people.

If you look back, before any video game came out, any power rangers episode came out, you will see one of our worst school massacres was done by some fool who was upset his property taxes were raised (possibly due to that school). He killed the most in American history when it comes to school massacres, and the real catch is (to any anti-gunners that may be lurking) he didn't even use a gun! He used a bomb.......

Any SANE person can tell the difference between violence through fantasy, and violence through reality. I grew up off Duke Nukem, Counter-strike, doom, Marilyn Manson, and many of the other video games and artists portrayed and used by the media as the scapegoat to why people do such horrific things.

At an early age I was raised around firearms, my dad taught me how to handle them, and respect them. I'm also very thankful my dad taught my that firearms had more than the use many Americans think they're for (hunting). When I was 12, I was trusted with a mossberg maverick88 in my bedroom.

I and many others I knew who were raised more or less around the same thing as me, and had plenty of access to firearms, just like me never had a problem. Concluding INSANE people do INSANE things. Regardless of if they have some sort of entertainment piece that depicts graphic violent fantasies, or not.

Another thing I'd like to point out is, violence/insane people were just as big of a problem back then, and did horrible things, however the media coverage back then compared to now is just not the same. The media now days can sensationalize something much better, usually to push an agenda through, whatever it may be -IE anti-gun, anti video games, etc etc...
Old 09-27-2012, 15:03   #49
crimdelacrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
I agree, but will have to disagree on a part of your post.

It sounds like you're blaming the media/entertainment industry that glorify violence, which is just another scapegoat people use, for insane people.

If you look back, before any video game came out, any power rangers episode came out, you will see one of our worst school massacres was done by some fool who was upset his property taxes were raised (possibly due to that school). He killed the most in American history when it comes to school massacres, and the real catch is (to any anti-gunners that may be lurking) he didn't even use a gun! He used a bomb.......

Any SANE person can tell the difference between violence through fantasy, and violence through reality. I grew up off Duke Nukem, Counter-strike, doom, Marilyn Manson, and many of the other video games and artists portrayed and used by the media as the scapegoat to why people do such horrific things.

At an early age I was raised around firearms, my dad taught me how to handle them, and respect them. I'm also very thankful my dad taught my that firearms had more than the use many Americans think they're for (hunting). When I was 12, I was trusted with a mossberg maverick88 in my bedroom.

I and many others I knew who were raised more or less around the same thing as me, and had plenty of access to firearms, just like me never had a problem. Concluding INSANE people do INSANE things. Regardless of if they have some sort of entertainment piece that depicts graphic violent fantasies, or not.

Another thing I'd like to point out is, violence/insane people were just as big of a problem back then, and did horrible things, however the media coverage back then compared to now is just not the same. The media now days can sensationalize something much better, usually to push an agenda through, whatever it may be -IE anti-gun, anti video games, etc etc...
I didn't say that power rangers makes children insane... I simply used them to show how things that we thought were once cool are now just childish curiosities. I also never said anything about the media because I think the news has very little affect on children (you are molded most when you are a child). I also never ever said that we didn't have insane people in the past. I agree with you. Just please don't twist what I am saying.

Last edited by crimdelacrim; 09-27-2012 at 15:05..
crimdelacrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 16:25   #50
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
I didn't say that power rangers makes children insane... I simply used them to show how things that we thought were once cool are now just childish curiosities. I also never said anything about the media because I think the news has very little affect on children (you are molded most when you are a child). I also never ever said that we didn't have insane people in the past. I agree with you. Just please don't twist what I am saying.

What are you trying to prove with the reference to power ranger, then? That's the only way I saw it, and just read over it a few more times. If you can clarify for me, that'd be great.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2012, 19:28   #51
crimdelacrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
What are you trying to prove with the reference to power ranger, then? That's the only way I saw it, and just read over it a few more times. If you can clarify for me, that'd be great.

Thanks.
8 year olds think power rangers are cool. 14 year olds think power rangers are old news and are no longer interesting.

8 year olds think guns are cool. 14 year olds (that didn't grow up with guns) think that guns are old news and no longer that interesting.

LIKE I said... it was a comparison. Not two things that necessarily interfere with each other in a child's psyche.

I think this is about as clear as I can get. If you can't follow then I'm sorry.

Last edited by crimdelacrim; 09-27-2012 at 20:24..
crimdelacrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 21:56   #52
SevenSlugs

Quote:
8 year olds think power rangers are cool. 14 year olds think power rangers are old news and are no longer interesting.

8 year olds think guns are cool. 14 year olds (that didn't grow up with guns) think that guns are old news and no longer that interesting.

LIKE I said... it was a comparison. Not two things that necessarily interfere with each other in a child's psyche.

I think this is about as clear as I can get. If you can't follow then I'm sorry.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:16   #53
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:

I understand what you were trying to get across now.

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:20   #54
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Guns? Did you say the kids you know don't like guns? Naaa, it must be YOU.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:39   #55
PocketProtector

Anyone wonder if re-education camps work? They do.....and K-12 ones are even more effective.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:16   #56
SevenSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Guns? Did you say the kids you know don't like guns? Naaa, it must be YOU.
Oh, believe me...it's NEVER been me... .

Old 09-29-2012, 01:09   #57
TactiCool

Like the OP, I'm 21 and go to a university. However, my university is close to a predominantly rural area, and most of the students are WASP's from the country. Many of my aquaintances and previous roommates were gun owners, but weren't all that crazy about getting out to the range and blasting away.

However, with universities being liberal bastions, there is always a percentage of anti's, but they're not that vocal here. At least, I've never heard any anti-2A rhetoric in any of my classes.

I don't really have too many gun buddies in my age group though. Most of my friends are actually retired vets or contractors in their 40's+, and those are the guys I usually train and shoot with.
TactiCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:46   #58
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSlugs View Post
Oh, believe me...it's NEVER been me ...
Well, aren't you the good sport!

Sometimes it's how you approach other people that makes all the difference. If you talk one way, you get one reaction; and if you talk another, you get another. Personally, I don't see young men, or certain young women, giving up their initial fascination with weaponry anytime soon.

In western society, 'guns' represent: power, privilege, and entitlement. The right to keep and bear arms implies that the possessors are, 'free men'. The right to bear arms, also, implies the existence of a, 'bonded' spiritually and mentally healthy overall society.

Unfortunately, however, (and for whatever reasons) no matter the nation or the class, men no longer live inside a spiritually and mentally healthy general society. The world is, 'sick'; and it's getting sicker everyday.

In my opinion people are going to remain attracted to, 'guns'. Why? Because either: fascination, privilege, or necessity are going to keep them that way. Guns and what they represent might become illegal, here or there, but the popularity of small arms - even where illegal - is never going to fade.

My suggestion? Stop worrying needlessly about, 'your generation'. Their, 'love of guns' is going to be just fine. It's their love of God and morality that's actually in jeopardy.

Last edited by Arc Angel; 09-30-2012 at 07:01..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:16   #59
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Institutions of higher learning are bastions of aging liberal hippie professors
Old 10-30-2012, 23:59   #60
SevenSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
Institutions of higher learning are bastions of aging liberal hippie professors
You are right!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2