GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-24-2012, 19:09   #1
quichedem

What would you do with these rounds? Pics!

A family member gave me a couple hundred rounds of OLD .223. That's great, but much of it is corroded. There is a varying degree of corrosion on the rounds, which you can see here:
Caliber Corner
Caliber Corner
There are also some soft point rounds that the lead has corroded pretty badly:
Caliber Corner
I also got some hollow points, which seem to have survived the best:
Caliber Corner
Some of the rounds are Norma, and I don't recognize the other type:
Caliber Corner
Here is a little more detail of some of the case corrosion:
Caliber Corner
I'm not really planning on shooting most of these rounds, but I definitely can't bring myself to throw them away. There are many salvageable rounds with little/no corrosion, and very few have corroded primers(obviously not shooting). I ask the forum for ideas on what to do with these rounds. I have more pics if these aren't enough for a good decision. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by quichedem; 09-24-2012 at 19:10..
quichedem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:50   #2
cadillacguns

Whipe the Verdigo from the lead tips and shoot it.
GLOCKS #1 FAN!!!

"IN GLOCK WE TRUST"
cadillacguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:58   #3
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

shoot it all
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:32   #4
bruzer

Send them to me, I'll wipe them down, shoot them and if you want send the brass back to you. Problem solved.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike
bruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:35   #5
tango44

Shoot it all, I just put those on the tumbles for about 10 mins and no problems at all!
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 13:50   #6
JW1178

The worse thing that can happen with old ammo (considering it was manufactured right) is it won't fire when you pull the trigger.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 14:27   #7
quichedem

It seems like the consensus is to hang onto it and shoot it. I guess I'll rig up a tumbler next weekend. Thanks for the replies!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:19   #8
plasticslap

Shoot it. +1 on the quick tumble to remove that crud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 09-27-2012, 18:14   #9
SCmasterblaster

Shoot them. That will get the crud off!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:00   #10
ca survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango44 View Post
Shoot it all, I just put those on the tumbles for about 10 mins and no problems at all!
DO NOT put live ammo in a tumbler.....
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:07   #11
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
SO TRUE. The propellant would be altered greatly via vibration. There's now way that I would shoot tumbled ammunition.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:44   #12
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post

How do you think the ammo companies get your ammo so shiney.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:48   #13
Glockbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post

DO NOT put old rifle ammo in a tumbler!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 16:37   #14
SCmasterblaster

Quote:

The clean the brass shiny BEFORE loading it.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 09-28-2012 at 16:38..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 17:51   #15
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
The clean the brass shiny BEFORE loading it.
And they get the marks off the brass and bullets from the reloading process how? They tumble it after it is loaded.

Quote:
SO TRUE. The propellant would be altered greatly via vibration. There's now way that I would shoot tumbled ammunition.
Yeah I'm sure the military makes sure to only ship their ammo in special low vibration trucks, ships, choppers and airplanes as to not disturb the powder. The troops walk extra soft to make sure not to shake their ammo. I'm sure the UPS truck that is hauling the ammo I ordered earlier in the week does not vibrate at all during the couple thousand mile trip. Five or ten minutes a vibratory tumbler is not going hurt anything.

Ain't the internet grand.

Last edited by dkf; 09-28-2012 at 18:23..
Old 09-28-2012, 20:28   #16
Glockbuster

Quote:
And they get the marks off the brass and bullets from the reloading process how? They tumble it after it is loaded.

Yeah I'm sure the military makes sure to only ship their ammo in special low vibration trucks, ships, choppers and airplanes as to not disturb the powder. The troops walk extra soft to make sure not to shake their ammo. I'm sure the UPS truck that is hauling the ammo I ordered earlier in the week does not vibrate at all during the couple thousand mile trip. Five or ten minutes a vibratory tumbler is not going hurt anything.

Ain't the internet grand.

You are providing internet advice which is against specific warnings of powder manufacturers.
Tumble vibration is different than the other vibrations you are comparing to, much higher in frequency. It is known--or at least it is what the powder manufacturers say--that tumble vibration alters burning properties of powder, usually increasing burning rate. As most rifle powders are slow burning, rifle ammo is especially susceptible to this.

I say again, DO NOT tumble rifle ammunition.
Old 09-28-2012, 20:37   #17
dkf

I am aware of powder companies positions. If I was a powder manufacturer I would recommend against any tumbling also. Promoting it does nothing but open them up to liability if they say it ok. Any old idiot can claim the tumbler caused their issue and file a BS lawsuit.(even though their double charge was to blame) The powder company will probably settle to avoid even more money layout to fight it in court. Their lawyer advised them on that.

I have seen enough actual tests of loaded rounds in a vibratory tumbler for days and some left even weeks and they came out fine and the powder was as new. This is right along with the "You can't shoot lead in a Glock barrel" warnings the internet experts always spread around. Glock does not recommend it so it must be true.

So how many KBs have you had that was definitavly caused by vibratory tumbling ammunition for say 10 minutes?

Last edited by dkf; 09-28-2012 at 20:39..
Old 09-28-2012, 20:47   #18
Glockbuster

I know it is a much debated issue among gurus. I know ammo companies position on this and powder companies too.
Personally, I think it does not matter much for short periods of time if the powder is already fast burning or in generally good condition. But those old rifle rounds look real old and beaten. I have fired quite a few of similar looking with no issues and no tumbling except for a foul ammonia odor after firing, which is not present on newer rounds, and maybe slightly greater pressure felt. So why bother with the risk ? if the powder is indeed really old, then some of the warnings may become reality with it breaking down easier.
Old 09-28-2012, 20:50   #19
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I can't imagine a problem with tumbling live ammo.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 20:54   #20
dkf

I guess it all depends what gun you want to shoot them in. I would just throw the bad ones in the tumbler to knock the loose corrosion off and done with it. Personal preference I guess. I would bet those rounds have been bounced around plenty in their life. If anyone can break it a shipping company can.

Last edited by dkf; 09-28-2012 at 20:55..
Old 09-29-2012, 08:42   #21
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
I guess it all depends what gun you want to shoot them in. I would just throw the bad ones in the tumbler to knock the loose corrosion off and done with it. Personal preference I guess. I would bet those rounds have been bounced around plenty in their life. If anyone can break it a shipping company can.
I say again that tumbling the live rounds will very likely break apart the propellant granules and thereby greatly increase the pressure. If you must clean the brass, just use Brasso and a rag on each one.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:16   #22
kf4zra
I miss ya Murph

Send a message via AIM to kf4zra Send a message via Yahoo to kf4zra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I say again that tumbling the live rounds will very likely break apart the propellant granules and thereby greatly increase the pressure. If you must clean the brass, just use Brasso and a rag on each one.
the brasso after it has been on the brass for an extended time makes the brass more brittle due to the ammonia. If you are going to shoot right away and not reload, its not an issue

i have tumbled and shot thousands of old rifle rounds from the 20's thru the 70's and never had a problem,

worked for a gun shop for a while and the surplus ammo that came in that had surface rust or discoloration was given to me. tumbled it for a half hour and blasted it.
762x54r, .303 brit, and 8mm mauser were the main calibers.
shot it in enfields, mausers, mosins, svt-40, hakim, FN49, and i converted my 1919 to 8mm.

I have dumped the powder before and after tumbling and cant tell any difference. the little rods of powder (like small pencil leads from a mechanical pencil) in the 54r and 8mm were still in tact and the cordite strands in the .303 was still solid. They shot the same, the same stinky/acrid smoke of the commie/fascist ammo was there and the same ash from the 303 was there.

see above argument regarding low vibration trucks, etc

Happiness is a warm AK

If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
kf4zra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:48   #23
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4zra View Post
the brasso after it has been on the brass for an extended time makes the brass more brittle due to the ammonia. If you are going to shoot right away and not reload, its not an issue

i have tumbled and shot thousands of old rifle rounds from the 20's thru the 70's and never had a problem,

worked for a gun shop for a while and the surplus ammo that came in that had surface rust or discoloration was given to me. tumbled it for a half hour and blasted it.
762x54r, .303 brit, and 8mm mauser were the main calibers.
shot it in enfields, mausers, mosins, svt-40, hakim, FN49, and i converted my 1919 to 8mm.

I have dumped the powder before and after tumbling and cant tell any difference. the little rods of powder (like small pencil leads from a mechanical pencil) in the 54r and 8mm were still in tact and the cordite strands in the .303 was still solid. They shot the same, the same stinky/acrid smoke of the commie/fascist ammo was there and the same ash from the 303 was there.

see above argument regarding low vibration trucks, etc
Thanks, I forgot about the ammonia problem with brass.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:45   #24
VinnieD

Those look extremely dangerous. You shouldn't even have them in your home in fact. Fortunately I happen to run a disposal service. For you my friend I'll waive the normal charge, just this once. Just ship them to me and I'll properly dispose of them.
Old 09-29-2012, 13:37   #25
fredj338

I've never been a big fan of tumbling live ammo, but a piece of steel wool & some time in front of the tube, go shooting. Just toss any rounds that show pitting in the cases, they may be structural unsound.
BTW, BRasso should NEVER be used on ammo or cases used for reloading.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 09-29-2012 at 13:38..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote