Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-28-2012, 17:51   #21
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
Do you mean it has 2" composite walls, or 2" of steel in the wall? Can you send me a link. About the heaviest gauge steel I have seen for a gun safe is 1/4" maybe 3/8". Above 1" is usually a TL15 or TL30 safe, which most gun safes are not even TL rated.
Here's the spec, PM me and I will send you more info and the link to the company. Don't want to discuss too much more in public, you understand.

2" Door
1-1/2" locking bolt
5 prong handle
10 gauge body
1/2" 60 HRA hardplate(drilling protection)
Spring-loaded relocking system
Shear-off handle
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 19:58   #22
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
10 ga is ok, but I'd prefer 7 ga or 3/16, as its not really enough to give you any real protection from a sharp object with a good swing.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"

Last edited by AK_Stick; 09-28-2012 at 19:59..
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 20:22   #23
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Kimono View Post
There seem to be a lot more break-ins on the news lately. I'm thinking that is only going to get worse as things decline. Is anyone doing anything to step up the security of their home?

How difficult are most gun safes to break into? Is there anything that can be done to to slow down a burglars access to them?
Steps I am willing to discuss publicly, done recently to step up home security...I added Door Clubs to the exterior doors and bought a second dog. I also upgraded my home defense long gun from a 12 gauge to 5.56.

This is in addition to basics like keeping windows and doors locked/secured, having a big dog, proper exterior lighting, good locks, a locally monitored alarm with sensors on all doors/windows, etc. Our front door has sidelights so the dead bolt is a double cylinder with multiple keys kept within reach (from the inside)

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 09-28-2012 at 20:28..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 00:55   #24
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
10 ga is ok, but I'd prefer 7 ga or 3/16, as its not really enough to give you any real protection from a sharp object with a good swing.
Where I put the safe, you will be lucky to get a good swing with a hand held hammer... maybe a hatchet if you are lucky but you won't get a full swing.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:59   #25
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

UneasyRider,

Can you PM me info on the 8 camera/dvr system that you bought. Where you got it, your review of it, how easy is it to hook up, wired or wireless cameras,etc. I am looking for something a little less expensive than the ADT camera system as an add on.

Thanks!!

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!

Last edited by Deployment Solu; 09-29-2012 at 04:59..
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:02   #26
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deployment Solu View Post
UneasyRider,

Can you PM me info on the 8 camera/dvr system that you bought. Where you got it, your review of it, how easy is it to hook up, wired or wireless cameras,etc. I am looking for something a little less expensive than the ADT camera system as an add on.

Thanks!!
I bought one from Amazon made by these guys with 8 cameras and a hard drive. These zmodo systems are always on sale someplace on the web.

http://www.zmodo.com/8ch-cctv-h-264-...ra-system.html

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:13   #27
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Here's the spec, PM me and I will send you more info and the link to the company. Don't want to discuss too much more in public, you understand.

2" Door
1-1/2" locking bolt
5 prong handle
10 gauge body
1/2" 60 HRA hardplate(drilling protection)
Spring-loaded relocking system
Shear-off handle
No it is OK, I was curious about the 2" an if is all steel. The answer is no. When I was looking for a safe there were no burgulary rated gun safes. Now I see Amsec is making a TL-30 reated safe. Heck I think I saw a TRTL30x6 rated gun safe. That means it will resist 30 minutes of tools and torches on all 6 sides for 30 minutes. These safes weigh several thousand pounds. Short of a built walk in vault it is as good as it gets. They are over $10,000 so you need to be storing very valuable stuff. Some of you guys that have a lot of PMs should look into them.

However, there was that old guy that had $7M of gold in his house without the benefit of a big safe. His protection is that no one knew about it, and he lived small.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:21   #28
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford;19467685

However, there was that old guy that had $7M of gold in his house without the benefit of a big safe. [SIZE=5
His protection is that no one knew about it, and he lived small[/SIZE].
I suspect this is the key to most security issues!!
Old 09-29-2012, 11:25   #29
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Not getting broken into is always a great first step in home security. Deterrence by hardening the target is secondary. Not getting picked as a potential target is primary.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:35   #30
Kentguy

I'm a little late to this party here but I did want to chime in on this discussion. The other day I was just wandering around my house and thinking; "just how secure is this place?" If the SHTF or we end up with a WROL situation is this man's home really his castle? No mote... no draw bridge... no thick stone walls, man I could really be in deep "do-do" if it every gets bad. Regardless of whether it is a result of weather related disaster, total social/economic breakdown or just a few punks trying to score some of your stuff at 3:00 am in the morning. Can my house withstand any of that?

You folks have given me some really good advice to sure up the old home-stead here. I also realize that my home is not a medieval castle but a home built in 2004, so I have some protection, insulation and a "measure" of security. Also to try to plan for every contingency is unrealistic at this point in the game but I have made some improvements.

Warp covered much of what I have done;

"This is in addition to basics like keeping windows and doors locked/secured, having a big dog, proper exterior lighting, good locks, a locally monitored alarm with sensors on all doors/windows, etc. Our front door has sidelights so the dead bolt is a double cylinder with multiple keys kept within reach (from the inside)"

I can't say enough about getting a dog! They sense and hear things that you and I are not capable of and are fearless about protecting their turf... It's a dog thing.

As far as the discussion about a gun safe - something is better that nothing, but if you have the means, invest in a good secure safe!
Old 10-24-2012, 16:39   #31
boomhower

Maybe it varies by the area but around here pretty much all of them are either through kicked in door or they bust out a window. If they come through an unlocked door usually the next words out of there mouths are "the only thing that's missing is my flat screen from rent-a-center I'm four payments behind on."

My main security is my South African Mastiff. I'm thinking of getting a security system as well. My house came with big french doors in the back so if someone wants in they will get it.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 16:44   #32
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
Maybe it varies by the area but around here pretty much all of them are either through kicked in door or they bust out a window. If they come through an unlocked door usually the next words out of there mouths are "the only thing that's missing is my flat screen from rent-a-center I'm four payments behind on."

My main security is my South African Mastiff. I'm thinking of getting a security system as well. My house came with big french doors in the back so if someone wants in they will get it.
If someone wants in, they will get in, regardless of the type of doors you have. Well, most likely, anyway. It's just a matter of how much time, noise, and effort is required to get in.

There are steps you can take even with french doors.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 18:04   #33
Aceman

At the end of the day, after the tinfoil is off, etc...

You make your house NOT an opportunistic target for casual crooks: Decent doors, windows, locks, an alarm system etc... Dogs if you like the doggies. Don't talk about your guns.

And you make the guns as much a non-opportunistic target as possible. Not in the open, in a safe, a safe that isn't in the open.

After that, nothing else to do or worry about. A pro WILL get you if they want you and all your worry and effort will be wasted. Stay sensible, do the basics, and get on with life.

If you are that worried spend the money moving, not on a better safe. Almost ANY safe is a MAJOR deterrent.

Last edited by Aceman; 10-24-2012 at 18:05..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 20:52   #34
boone10
Glockeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneasyRider View Post
I did a few things that had dual purpose of hardening my house against hurricanes and at the same time criminals.

New doors and that are Dade County rated (take a 130 MPH 8' 2x4)

An alarm system that has switches on every door and window as well as a pre alarm motion sensors at the doors that act as a doorbell without a button.

I picked up an 8 camera and DVR set up for $300 that covers the yard in all directions.

Strike plates on the doors that are longer and have more bolts. The bolts are driven into the cement block of the house with tap cons.

AP501 locks that are digital and have no back up key that can be picked.

Mossberg 930 Special Purpose SLX in a verticle mount next to the bed with 00 buck.

Can't talk about the rest...

Our biggest problem here is home invasions. Not in my neighborhood but in many of the wealthier ones. I live with a bunch of armed red necks around me on small lots. We have never been a target.
From 1 armed redneck to another...

I salute you, sir. May you always stay safe from high winds and home invaders.
boone10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:10   #35
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Bolting it in is paramount. If they can remove it they have all the time in the world to get into it.

You get what you pay for with safes.

Security on Sale Gun safe Prying video - YouTube
Ahhh I don't know some of those safes weigh a few hundred pounds. I doubt anyone is going to just pick it up and cart it off in their vehicle.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:13   #36
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Not getting broken into is always a great first step in home security. Deterrence by hardening the target is secondary. Not getting picked as a potential target is primary.

Exactly! Mainting a low profile. Don't be running your mouth to strangers about all the stuff you have.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:48   #37
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
Ahhh I don't know some of those safes weigh a few hundred pounds. I doubt anyone is going to just pick it up and cart it off in their vehicle.
The casual burglar, no way.

The dedicated team who has spied on you and did some intel gathering, yes. It takes maybe 2-3 guys with a dolly to get it out and it can easily be put in a van or truck to be broken into later in the safety and security of their lair.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:09   #38
BR549
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post

^ This ^ as in twelve to fifteen hundred pounds.
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:15   #39
sebecman

My friends safe weighed 1000 pounds empty and took 3 of us 10 minutes to move it into his house with a refridgerator dolly.

I suspect it would take 3 men 10 minutes to move it out as well.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:35   #40
BR549
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebecman View Post
My friends safe weighed 1000 pounds empty and took 3 of us 10 minutes to move it into his house with a refridgerator dolly.

I suspect it would take 3 men 10 minutes to move it out as well.
Correct. My point was to indicate the weight instead of allowing an assumption of "a few hundred pounds" equals "300 to 500 pounds".

You would have to find the correct property/house.

You would have to obtain access to the house.

You would have to find it at the house.

You would have to open it and then use some special tools to allow it to be moved.

If you can open it, why not just take the contents?

Yes, all my plans have once again been overcome by GTSP.

I was hoping everyone would just be happy stealing the electronics.

If you take the safe(s), will you also take the "stuffed mattresses"?

Last edited by BR549; 10-25-2012 at 07:39..
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote