SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:42   #21
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I guess it all depends what gun you want to shoot them in. I would just throw the bad ones in the tumbler to knock the loose corrosion off and done with it. Personal preference I guess. I would bet those rounds have been bounced around plenty in their life. If anyone can break it a shipping company can.
I say again that tumbling the live rounds will very likely break apart the propellant granules and thereby greatly increase the pressure. If you must clean the brass, just use Brasso and a rag on each one.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:16   #22
kf4zra
I miss ya Murph

Send a message via AIM to kf4zra Send a message via Yahoo to kf4zra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I say again that tumbling the live rounds will very likely break apart the propellant granules and thereby greatly increase the pressure. If you must clean the brass, just use Brasso and a rag on each one.
the brasso after it has been on the brass for an extended time makes the brass more brittle due to the ammonia. If you are going to shoot right away and not reload, its not an issue

i have tumbled and shot thousands of old rifle rounds from the 20's thru the 70's and never had a problem,

worked for a gun shop for a while and the surplus ammo that came in that had surface rust or discoloration was given to me. tumbled it for a half hour and blasted it.
762x54r, .303 brit, and 8mm mauser were the main calibers.
shot it in enfields, mausers, mosins, svt-40, hakim, FN49, and i converted my 1919 to 8mm.

I have dumped the powder before and after tumbling and cant tell any difference. the little rods of powder (like small pencil leads from a mechanical pencil) in the 54r and 8mm were still in tact and the cordite strands in the .303 was still solid. They shot the same, the same stinky/acrid smoke of the commie/fascist ammo was there and the same ash from the 303 was there.

see above argument regarding low vibration trucks, etc

Happiness is a warm AK

If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
kf4zra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:48   #23
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4zra View Post
the brasso after it has been on the brass for an extended time makes the brass more brittle due to the ammonia. If you are going to shoot right away and not reload, its not an issue

i have tumbled and shot thousands of old rifle rounds from the 20's thru the 70's and never had a problem,

worked for a gun shop for a while and the surplus ammo that came in that had surface rust or discoloration was given to me. tumbled it for a half hour and blasted it.
762x54r, .303 brit, and 8mm mauser were the main calibers.
shot it in enfields, mausers, mosins, svt-40, hakim, FN49, and i converted my 1919 to 8mm.

I have dumped the powder before and after tumbling and cant tell any difference. the little rods of powder (like small pencil leads from a mechanical pencil) in the 54r and 8mm were still in tact and the cordite strands in the .303 was still solid. They shot the same, the same stinky/acrid smoke of the commie/fascist ammo was there and the same ash from the 303 was there.

see above argument regarding low vibration trucks, etc
Thanks, I forgot about the ammonia problem with brass.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:45   #24
VinnieD

Those look extremely dangerous. You shouldn't even have them in your home in fact. Fortunately I happen to run a disposal service. For you my friend I'll waive the normal charge, just this once. Just ship them to me and I'll properly dispose of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
VinnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 13:37   #25
fredj338

I've never been a big fan of tumbling live ammo, but a piece of steel wool & some time in front of the tube, go shooting. Just toss any rounds that show pitting in the cases, they may be structural unsound.
BTW, BRasso should NEVER be used on ammo or cases used for reloading.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 09-29-2012 at 13:38..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 14:43   #26
WinterWizard

Three steps >>> 1. Steel wool. 2. Shoot. 3. Throw away any that won't fire.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:09   #27
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
SO TRUE. The propellant would be altered greatly via vibration. There's now way that I would shoot tumbled ammunition.
You are making a bold statement about something you don't have a clue on.
You do every time you shoot factory ammo! It is the last step before packaging.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:16   #28
glock2740
Gun lover.

Put them in the washing maching , but when you put go to put them in the dryer, use the low heat setting and use a sheet of Bounce.

glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:55   #29
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
You are making a bold statement about something you don't have a clue on.
You do every time you shoot factory ammo! It is the last step before packaging.
I recall it from a warning years ago by CCI-Speer.
Old 10-01-2012, 16:18   #30
quichedem

Alright. I haven't checked this thread for a couple of days. I was close by a Harbor Freight today, so I stopped in to try to get some items to make my own tumbler. Much to my surprise, they actually had rotary rock polishers/tumblers. So I picked one up, along with some crushed walnut birdcage bedding from the pet store as my media. I tumbled the rounds for about 10-15 minutes without incident.
As I stated before, I really don't plan on shooting these in my AR. I might see if some family members want to try shooting them. As far as some scenario like "I pull them out of the tumbler and they start going off," I'm not concerned with that. I'd be more concerned with the rounds hurting me if I threw them in a campfire-in which case they still wouldn't be lethal. If you don't believe that check this mythbusters clip:
I also agree with the fact that the bullets see more vibration in transit before they reach your magazine than a 1rev/2sec tumbler will provide. I feel it's just common sense. That's my mechanical engineer's opinion.
Old 10-01-2012, 16:25   #31
SCmasterblaster

Great video

I have always loved the Mythbusters. And like most Hollywood types, they call CARTRIDGES "bullets" UGH

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 10-01-2012 at 16:30..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 16:52   #32
quichedem

It's one thing when folks speak up if they feel like there is a genuine safety concern. It's another thing when folks spout off some old wive's tale that they can't make a good case for. I feel I've gotten a good bit of the latter on this thread.
Old 10-01-2012, 17:21   #33
Glockbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by quichedem View Post
It's one thing when folks speak up if they feel like there is a genuine safety concern. It's another thing when folks spout off some old wive's tale that they can't make a good case for. I feel I've gotten a good bit of the latter on this thread.
You should take your complaint to the ammo manufacturers and the powder manufacturers. Those of us with the old wive´s tales are simply stating in the thread what they have advised, which is the responsible thing. If you choose to go against that you do so at your own risk. Many viewers don´t post and just read. We want them to know the truth.

Funny how some posters get the blame for stating something they did not invent. If you need proof or are not aware of those companies´position on tumbling, let me know.
Old 10-01-2012, 17:30   #34
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by quichedem View Post
I noticed that you live in NOLA. Is it really the murder capital? I thought that Detroit was.
Old 10-01-2012, 17:51   #35
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
I have always loved the Mythbusters. And like most Hollywood types, they call CARTRIDGES "bullets" UGH
Mythbusters does a good job, and the disprove Hollywood gun myths all the time

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 18:11   #36
SCmasterblaster

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I've never been a big fan of tumbling live ammo, but a piece of steel wool & some time in front of the tube, go shooting. Just toss any rounds that show pitting in the cases, they may be structural unsound.
BTW, BRasso should NEVER be used on ammo or cases used for reloading.
I forgot about steel wool. Good idea!
Old 10-01-2012, 18:41   #37
quichedem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockbuster View Post
You should take your complaint to the ammo manufacturers and the powder manufacturers. Those of us with the old wive´s tales are simply stating in the thread what they have advised, which is the responsible thing. If you choose to go against that you do so at your own risk. Many viewers don´t post and just read. We want them to know the truth.

Funny how some posters get the blame for stating something they did not invent. If you need proof or are not aware of those companies´position on tumbling, let me know.
This is a fair statement. I do feel that there are many people who use very diverse techniques/setups for their tumbling. A blanket statement is fair to make. My method I'm describing is not aggressive, thus the reason I'm not too concerned with it.
Old 10-01-2012, 18:42   #38
quichedem

Quote:
I noticed that you live in NOLA. Is it really the murder capital? I thought that Detroit was.
It probably was when I set it to say that. It's been there for a loooooooong time. I'll get around to changing it one day.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:39   #39
SCmasterblaster

I've Never been to NOLA

but if I ever do go there, I'll take my G17 for sure!
Old 10-02-2012, 17:29   #40
quichedem

Quote:
but if I ever do go there, I'll take my G17 for sure!
You'd better. NOLA might be beat for the U.S. murder capital by Detroit, but they do have RoboCop!