GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 08:42   #21
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I guess it all depends what gun you want to shoot them in. I would just throw the bad ones in the tumbler to knock the loose corrosion off and done with it. Personal preference I guess. I would bet those rounds have been bounced around plenty in their life. If anyone can break it a shipping company can.
I say again that tumbling the live rounds will very likely break apart the propellant granules and thereby greatly increase the pressure. If you must clean the brass, just use Brasso and a rag on each one.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:16   #22
kf4zra
I miss ya Murph
 
kf4zra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,692
Send a message via AIM to kf4zra Send a message via Yahoo to kf4zra


Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I say again that tumbling the live rounds will very likely break apart the propellant granules and thereby greatly increase the pressure. If you must clean the brass, just use Brasso and a rag on each one.
the brasso after it has been on the brass for an extended time makes the brass more brittle due to the ammonia. If you are going to shoot right away and not reload, its not an issue

i have tumbled and shot thousands of old rifle rounds from the 20's thru the 70's and never had a problem,

worked for a gun shop for a while and the surplus ammo that came in that had surface rust or discoloration was given to me. tumbled it for a half hour and blasted it.
762x54r, .303 brit, and 8mm mauser were the main calibers.
shot it in enfields, mausers, mosins, svt-40, hakim, FN49, and i converted my 1919 to 8mm.

I have dumped the powder before and after tumbling and cant tell any difference. the little rods of powder (like small pencil leads from a mechanical pencil) in the 54r and 8mm were still in tact and the cordite strands in the .303 was still solid. They shot the same, the same stinky/acrid smoke of the commie/fascist ammo was there and the same ash from the 303 was there.

see above argument regarding low vibration trucks, etc
__________________
RIP Mark 1977-2005 I miss the hell outta you bro.

Happiness is a warm AK

If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
kf4zra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:48   #23
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4zra View Post
the brasso after it has been on the brass for an extended time makes the brass more brittle due to the ammonia. If you are going to shoot right away and not reload, its not an issue

i have tumbled and shot thousands of old rifle rounds from the 20's thru the 70's and never had a problem,

worked for a gun shop for a while and the surplus ammo that came in that had surface rust or discoloration was given to me. tumbled it for a half hour and blasted it.
762x54r, .303 brit, and 8mm mauser were the main calibers.
shot it in enfields, mausers, mosins, svt-40, hakim, FN49, and i converted my 1919 to 8mm.

I have dumped the powder before and after tumbling and cant tell any difference. the little rods of powder (like small pencil leads from a mechanical pencil) in the 54r and 8mm were still in tact and the cordite strands in the .303 was still solid. They shot the same, the same stinky/acrid smoke of the commie/fascist ammo was there and the same ash from the 303 was there.

see above argument regarding low vibration trucks, etc
Thanks, I forgot about the ammonia problem with brass.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:45   #24
VinnieD
Senior Member
 
VinnieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,073
Those look extremely dangerous. You shouldn't even have them in your home in fact. Fortunately I happen to run a disposal service. For you my friend I'll waive the normal charge, just this once. Just ship them to me and I'll properly dispose of them.
__________________
"Use more gun." -The Engineer- (Team Fortress 2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
VinnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 13:37   #25
fredj338
Senior Member
 
fredj338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: so.cal.
Posts: 21,642
Blog Entries: 3
I've never been a big fan of tumbling live ammo, but a piece of steel wool & some time in front of the tube, go shooting. Just toss any rounds that show pitting in the cases, they may be structural unsound.
BTW, BRasso should NEVER be used on ammo or cases used for reloading.
__________________
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 09-29-2012 at 13:38..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 14:43   #26
WinterWizard
Senior Member
 
WinterWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,331
Three steps >>> 1. Steel wool. 2. Shoot. 3. Throw away any that won't fire.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:09   #27
shotgunred
reloading nut
 
shotgunred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N W Washington
Posts: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
SO TRUE. The propellant would be altered greatly via vibration. There's now way that I would shoot tumbled ammunition.
You are making a bold statement about something you don't have a clue on.
You do every time you shoot factory ammo! It is the last step before packaging.
__________________
When dealing with Democrats, let us remember we are
not dealing with creatures of logic. We are dealing with
creatures of emotion, creatures bristling with prejudices
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:16   #28
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
Put them in the washing maching , but when you put go to put them in the dryer, use the low heat setting and use a sheet of Bounce.

glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:55   #29
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
You are making a bold statement about something you don't have a clue on.
You do every time you shoot factory ammo! It is the last step before packaging.
I recall it from a warning years ago by CCI-Speer.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 16:18   #30
quichedem
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: N.O. LA
Posts: 321
Alright. I haven't checked this thread for a couple of days. I was close by a Harbor Freight today, so I stopped in to try to get some items to make my own tumbler. Much to my surprise, they actually had rotary rock polishers/tumblers. So I picked one up, along with some crushed walnut birdcage bedding from the pet store as my media. I tumbled the rounds for about 10-15 minutes without incident.
As I stated before, I really don't plan on shooting these in my AR. I might see if some family members want to try shooting them. As far as some scenario like "I pull them out of the tumbler and they start going off," I'm not concerned with that. I'd be more concerned with the rounds hurting me if I threw them in a campfire-in which case they still wouldn't be lethal. If you don't believe that check this mythbusters clip:
I also agree with the fact that the bullets see more vibration in transit before they reach your magazine than a 1rev/2sec tumbler will provide. I feel it's just common sense. That's my mechanical engineer's opinion.
__________________
"How's ya mom 'n 'em?"
quichedem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 16:25   #31
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Great video

I have always loved the Mythbusters. And like most Hollywood types, they call CARTRIDGES "bullets" UGH
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 10-01-2012 at 16:30..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 16:52   #32
quichedem
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: N.O. LA
Posts: 321
It's one thing when folks speak up if they feel like there is a genuine safety concern. It's another thing when folks spout off some old wive's tale that they can't make a good case for. I feel I've gotten a good bit of the latter on this thread.
__________________
"How's ya mom 'n 'em?"
quichedem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:21   #33
Glockbuster
Senior Member
 
Glockbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Middle America
Posts: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by quichedem View Post
It's one thing when folks speak up if they feel like there is a genuine safety concern. It's another thing when folks spout off some old wive's tale that they can't make a good case for. I feel I've gotten a good bit of the latter on this thread.
You should take your complaint to the ammo manufacturers and the powder manufacturers. Those of us with the old wive´s tales are simply stating in the thread what they have advised, which is the responsible thing. If you choose to go against that you do so at your own risk. Many viewers don´t post and just read. We want them to know the truth.

Funny how some posters get the blame for stating something they did not invent. If you need proof or are not aware of those companies´position on tumbling, let me know.
__________________
"Freedom is one of the deepest and noblest aspirations of the human spirit"--President Ronald Reagan
Glockbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:30   #34
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by quichedem View Post
It's one thing when folks speak up if they feel like there is a genuine safety concern. It's another thing when folks spout off some old wive's tale that they can't make a good case for. I feel I've gotten a good bit of the latter on this thread.
I noticed that you live in NOLA. Is it really the murder capital? I thought that Detroit was.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:51   #35
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Warp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NE of Atlanta
Posts: 29,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I have always loved the Mythbusters. And like most Hollywood types, they call CARTRIDGES "bullets" UGH
Mythbusters does a good job, and the disprove Hollywood gun myths all the time
__________________
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 18:11   #36
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I've never been a big fan of tumbling live ammo, but a piece of steel wool & some time in front of the tube, go shooting. Just toss any rounds that show pitting in the cases, they may be structural unsound.
BTW, BRasso should NEVER be used on ammo or cases used for reloading.
I forgot about steel wool. Good idea!
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 18:41   #37
quichedem
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: N.O. LA
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockbuster View Post
You should take your complaint to the ammo manufacturers and the powder manufacturers. Those of us with the old wive´s tales are simply stating in the thread what they have advised, which is the responsible thing. If you choose to go against that you do so at your own risk. Many viewers don´t post and just read. We want them to know the truth.

Funny how some posters get the blame for stating something they did not invent. If you need proof or are not aware of those companies´position on tumbling, let me know.
This is a fair statement. I do feel that there are many people who use very diverse techniques/setups for their tumbling. A blanket statement is fair to make. My method I'm describing is not aggressive, thus the reason I'm not too concerned with it.
__________________
"How's ya mom 'n 'em?"
quichedem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 18:42   #38
quichedem
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: N.O. LA
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I noticed that you live in NOLA. Is it really the murder capital? I thought that Detroit was.
It probably was when I set it to say that. It's been there for a loooooooong time. I'll get around to changing it one day.
__________________
"How's ya mom 'n 'em?"
quichedem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:39   #39
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
I've Never been to NOLA

but if I ever do go there, I'll take my G17 for sure!
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 17:29   #40
quichedem
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: N.O. LA
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
but if I ever do go there, I'll take my G17 for sure!
You'd better. NOLA might be beat for the U.S. murder capital by Detroit, but they do have RoboCop!
__________________
"How's ya mom 'n 'em?"
quichedem is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:43.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 759
197 Members
562 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42