SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-02-2012, 22:48   #1
mac66
Plant the seed

Not tactical but somewhat practical

I posted a few months ago about single shot firearms. That thread went over like a nun with syphilis. Even so, I think there are some practical survival advantages for single shots particularly shotguns.

First they are cheap. I bought a 12 ga H&R Topper at a garage sale for $17. Yeah, it was missing the butt stock but what the heck. I've often seen them in pawn shops and in classified adds for $100 or less.

Second they are universal. The dang things have been made since before the turn of the 20th century let alone the 21st. Our ancestors managed to survive for centuries with single shot weapons.

Third, they are simple to use. Load, point, shoot, repeat. No foo-foo, they just work.

Fourth, they are relatively light weight, slim in profile and easy to carry. No knobs, or stuff sticking out all over the place.

Fifth, they are easy to modify into something short and handy. Because they are single shots the receivers are fairly short. Cut the barrel down and have a pretty compact firearm.

Here is my garage sale special...it had a 28" bbl.

Survival/Preparedness Forum

I am an advocate of "re-purposing" firearms particularly those that that no one loves anymore. They are not tactical, or fancy. They usually have long barrels which no one really wants. I try to pick them up, make them into something that is compact and handy and might be used again. In other words, I find them a purpose in life again.

I bought a stock and actually found a 357 mag barrel (cheap as in $30 total for both the barrel and stock)..It is kind of fun to shoot with the 357 mag barrel. I used to reload so I dragged out my dies and started making 38s and 357s to play with.

Next I cut the 12 ga barrel to 18" and added a sling.

Finally, to turn it into my truck gun, I added a butt stock pouch. As you can see it has a five shot shell holder (which is detachable velcro). It also has a zippered pocket that holds 10 shells. And BTW, the stock screw hole in the butt stock under the butt pad holds 3 additional shells. And yeah, it kicks like a mule but it is actually kind of fun to shoot in masochistic kind of way. It now resides in my truck and is my woods walker when I am at my hunting property.

Point is, stay away from nuns with VD but single shots are fun to play with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mac66; 10-02-2012 at 22:59..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 00:13   #2
wjv

I don't buy anything that doesn't say "Tactical!!!" in at least 5 places on the package, and in at least 2 places on the item. .

Personally I wouldn't mind a nice SxS, single trigger 12 ga. . .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:25   #3
jdavionic
NRA Member

It's got a wood stock and is not black. Throw it away!

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:52   #4
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
What's going on with the muzzle end of that .357 barrel? Is that a flash hider or a thread protector or something?

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:15   #5
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
It's got a wood stock and is not black. Throw it away!
So I can keep mine then...?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:04   #6
SFCSMITH(RET)

I was going to say... Paint it black and put some optics on it.. but..

Quakes' got it covered.. I think an ACOG would take it full on "tactical"...
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01   #7
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
So I can keep mine then...?

Certified Tactical! Of course.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:36   #8
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
What's going on with the muzzle end of that .357 barrel? Is that a flash hider or a thread protector or something?
Good eye. One reason I got the 357 barrel so cheap is because the guy I bought it from cut it just a wee bit shorter than legal. I took it to a friend who machined it down. He then cut down an AR flash hider and pinned, silver soldered it in place to make it legal. Yeah it looks a big funky but cheap is cheap and it shoots fine. That barrel had a scope on it when I bought it. I am probably going to put irons sights back on it when I get around to it.

Last edited by mac66; 10-03-2012 at 11:39..
Old 10-03-2012, 12:06   #9
quake

Hmmm... I know there are suppressors that quick-attach to a nato (22mm?) flash hider; I wonder if they make them in .357/9mm caliber. Not sure if it would work the way that particular flash hider's mounted.

Something to think about...? There's just something seriously grin-producing about firing something that sounds like a pellet rifle, only to hear a heavy 'clang' on a metal target a second or so later.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:22   #10
oldman11

As you stated, you bought it because it was cheap. And now you are trying to justify it.
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:54   #11
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
As you stated, you bought it because it was cheap. And now you are trying to justify it.
Yeah, so what's your point?

It could be that I am bragging about how cheap I got this gun to make others envious of this totally awesome H&R.

It could be that I am trying to justify the total of $57 I spent on it.

It could be that I find single shots interesting and just wanted to share with others.

Does that make me a bad person?

Last edited by mac66; 10-03-2012 at 14:30..
Old 10-03-2012, 13:07   #12
scccdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
Yeah, so what's your point?

It could be that I am bragging about how cheap I got this gun to make others envious of this awesome H&R.

It could be that I am trying to justify the total of $57 I spend on it.

It could be that I find single shots interesting and just wanted to share with others.

Does that make me a bad person?
I think it's cool ! I'll give you $60 for it, lol. Really, I think its a great truck gun................ DOC
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 13:54   #13
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Quote:
Stick around ninjaboi, you might learn something.

mac66, That thing is awesome. There's a whole lot to be said for a dead simple, 100% reliable weapon, that was so cheap you don't care about accidentally dropping it over the side of the boat. Except, of course, that you'd have to go to the trouble of replacing it.

One AR or 20 of those. I know which I'd take if it were TEOTWAWKI. And it wouldn't be the black one.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler

Last edited by Bushflyr; 10-03-2012 at 13:56..
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:20   #14
itstime

Dang. You done good. I would have snatched that up. I agree with you also. They have a good purpose.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:22   #15
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Even moreso, I like the o/u combo guns, like a .22/.410 or .30-30/12, 04 .223/12 (or 16 guage) etc.

Still a rugged single-shot, but your get 2 shots: one is a shotgun and the other is a rifle round.

Last edited by DustyJacket; 10-03-2012 at 14:23..
DustyJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:28   #16
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post
Even moreso, I like the o/u combo guns, like a .22/.410 or .30-30/12, 04 .223/12 (or 16 guage) etc.

Still a rugged single-shot, but your get 2 shots: one is a shotgun and the other is a rifle round.
And I continue to scour garage sales for just such a gun at bargain basement prices.

Old 10-03-2012, 15:56   #17
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
I bought three of the single shots. we had the barrels shortened to 19", retapped the front sight, added a Hi Viz fiber optic sleeve, a nylon shell carrier and a set of sling swivel studs. All told, about 90-100 bucks. It is handy, fits in the canoe (can be dummy corded to the boat in case of an overturn) and is simple and adaptable. Buckshot, slugs, bird shot...will flares work out of it?

Take a long a good .22 pistol and you are set for a nice simple canoe/camping/fishing trip.
Old 10-03-2012, 16:24   #18
MMII

Quote:
Great insight. This is the kind of stuff that I can use when things get rough.
MMII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 18:12   #19
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
And I continue to scour garage sales for just such a gun at bargain basement prices.
I'd never see that in my garage sales in this area . . .

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 00:28   #20
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I hear ya, I paid full retail for one of the H&R single shot break open 12 gauge "Pardner" shotguns a few years back for maybe a hundred thirty or so total, including transfer fees in CA and tax and all that jazz.

Shot it a few times, hurt like hell, but it was easy to use and simple and I have plans for it later on which does include maybe just cutting it down to 18" from the stock 28" and shortening the stock while keeping it legal with the OAL. It will be a very light and handy shotgun to have in the truck, that's for sure.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote