Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-04-2012, 00:06   #1
ContractSoldier

Loaded Magazine Debate

The purpose of this thread is to see what everyone's view's are on the different schools of thought when it comes to wear on the magazine spring when leaving magazines loaded for self defense.

On one side, there are those who state that leaving the magazine fully loaded all of the time, wears the spring out faster and the magazines should be empty and rotated from mag to mag.

On the other side are those who state that the consistent loading and unloading of magazines will, overtime, wear the magazine spring worse then if you would just leave them always loaded, there for they should be kept loaded at all times.

Then there's the middle of the road side, that state that you can keep the magazines always loaded, just keep two rounds out of the magazine (13 rounds in a 15 round magazine) to be easier on the spring.

I personally keep one 15 round magazine loaded with 13 rounds, loaded at all times for my Beretta M9. So what do you think and what do you do?

Last edited by ContractSoldier; 10-04-2012 at 00:09..
ContractSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 00:42   #2
countrygun

I'll just make it as simple as I can.

I have shot magazines that I loaded new and stored for years after moving and they worked fine. I have shot magazines that have deen stored for probably decades and as long as there was no rust they worked fine.

I have worn out mag springs in less than 2 years using them as range mags.

That tells me something.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:12   #3
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

There's not really any debate on how springs work.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:22   #4
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Leaving a magazine loaded, even for extended periods of time, shouldn't adversely effect the magazine.

That said, M9 mags, seem to be POS and require continual/often cleaning/maintenance.

I've had glock and H&K pistol mags loaded for years with no issues. I would never try that with my M-9. I clean its mags once a week, and verify function.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:46   #5
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Leaving a magazine loaded, even for extended periods of time, shouldn't adversely effect the magazine.

That said, M9 mags, seem to be POS and require continual/often cleaning/maintenance.

I've had glock and H&K pistol mags loaded for years with no issues. I would never try that with my M-9. I clean its mags once a week, and verify function.
What brands? My factory and Mec-Gars have been 100% for up to 2 years.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:23   #6
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
What brands? My factory and Mec-Gars have been 100% for up to 2 years.
He's probably talking about the Check Mate mags.
Mec-Gar mags are the best. Until someone makes aftermarket mags that can sing for me, I'm sticking with Mec-Gar.

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:26   #7
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Or wear out.

No debate what-so-ever.

Repeated cycling through their compression range is what wears them out.

To believe anything else is igonorant.

Last edited by M&P15T; 10-04-2012 at 02:26..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:27   #8
larson1122

Quote:
Exactly. Load em up and don't worry about it.

OP, here's a thread from a few days ago that might be of interest. As you could imagine people will never be able to agree on this subject.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1445436
larson1122 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:29   #9
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:

M9 mags would not be any different than any other mags. It's just that mags in the Military are far more heavily used, so they wear out much faster.

Cleaning mags (loading and unloading them repeatedly) is only increasing the wear on the springs. You're doing more harm than good.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:15   #10
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Using them wears the spring and to a lesser extent, everything else.

Leaving them loaded doesn't hurt anything. I've left mags loaded for years and never had one issue when I used them after.

If your worried about it, leave one less round in your mags or rotate them on a regular basis. I don't see any need to do that though.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:15   #11
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
M9 mags would not be any different than any other mags. It's just that mags in the Military are far more heavily used, so they wear out much faster.

Cleaning mags (loading and unloading them repeatedly) is only increasing the wear on the springs. You're doing more harm than good.
+1 on that!

Old 10-04-2012, 03:17   #12
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Using them wears the spring and to a lesser extent, everything else.

Leaving them loaded doesn't hurt anything. I've left mags loaded for years and never had one issue when I used them after.

If your worried about it, leave one less round in your mags or rotate them on a regular basis. I don't see any need to do that though.
Edited for you.

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:06   #13
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12131 View Post
Edited for you.
Did you by chance read the part you edited out where I said I wouldn't bother with that?

Apparently not.

It helps to read the post completely BEFORE posting a response.

Your welcome.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:07   #14
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Not to mention that you completely missed the point.

(Why am I not surprised....)
Old 10-04-2012, 06:27   #15
Bruce M

My limited experience suggests that if a magazine is used regularly it will give ample warning that the spring is getting weaker.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:42   #16
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post

Cleaning M-9 mags regularly, is the only way to ensure that you'll have a fire able sidearm when you need it.

I've had that issue with Mec-Gar, Beretta and Checkmate, and although the Checkmate's were the worst, and the new "sand modified" Beretta's the best, it has something to do with the design of the M-9 magazine, because every one of the magazines I own, and have carried on deployment have exhibited that behavior at one time or another.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:00   #17
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Cleaning M-9 mags regularly, is the only way to ensure that you'll have a fire able sidearm when you need it.

I've had that issue with Mec-Gar, Beretta and Checkmate, and although the Checkmate's were the worst, and the new "sand modified" Beretta's the best, it has something to do with the design of the M-9 magazine, because every one of the magazines I own, and have carried on deployment have exhibited that behavior at one time or another.
Are you talking about sidearms you carried while deployed to the Middle East?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:09   #18
samuse

I would never even load a mag to it's full capacity. At least download by two or three rounds.

I also never leave my magazines loaded for any longer than possible. Like when I'm at a match, I unload all of my magazines between stages and only load the magazines I'm going to use when I'm on deck.

If I'm just at the range practicing, I only load two rounds in a magazine at a time, but I only shoot one round. This keeps the tension on the spring at a minimum and prevents follower wear.

As soon as I get done shooting I fully disassemble all of my magazines, clean them with q-tips and store the springs completely relaxed.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:11   #19
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
I would never even load a mag to it's full capacity. At least download by two or three rounds.

I also never leave my magazines loaded for any longer than possible. Like when I'm at a match, I unload all of my magazines between stages and only load the magazines I'm going to use when I'm on deck.

If I'm just at the range practicing, I only load two rounds in a magazine at a time, but I only shoot one round. This keeps the tension on the spring at a minimum and prevents follower wear.

As soon as I get done shooting I fully disassemble all of my magazines, clean them with q-tips and store the springs completely relaxed.

I send my mag springs to day spas, so they can relax in total comfort, rejuvenating themselves.

Last edited by M&P15T; 10-04-2012 at 08:21..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:24   #20
40frank

I always leave them fully loaded. The only mags I ever had problems with were the ones that I use for the range that get loaded and unloaded quite a bit. In the back of my safe, I found a Glock mag that was loaded for a few years. I took it to the range and it was flawless. Leaving them loaded does not weaken the spring; constantly loading and unloading will.
40frank is offline   Reply With Quote