Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2012, 17:54   #21
dusty_dragon

how do you determine the exact position the trigger safety lever in the middle of the trigger has to have before starting to sand / cut it down?

how do you pin it in this defined position and then work on the safety lever in the middle of the trigger?
dusty_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 18:04   #22
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM686 View Post
look at the M&P pistols. You pull the bottom half of the trigger to fire?
I have an M&P, and it isn't the bottom half, it's more like the bottom 2/3 or 3/4, which makes even less sense than the Glock. At least with the Glock you have the fig leaf of logic that the trigger must be pulled in the middle. With the M&P you don't even have that. But, the M&P doesn't hurt your finger after a few hundred rounds.

Oh God, let's not start another M&P vs. Glock thread hijack.
dhgeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 18:06   #23
dkf

I always smooth off the sharp mold parting line with some 1000-1500 grit emery paper. Sharp parting lines on both plastic or metal parts are kind of a pet peeve of mine.

Last edited by dkf; 10-03-2012 at 18:06..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:12   #24
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I always smooth off the sharp mold parting line with some 1000-1500 grit emery paper. Sharp parting lines on both plastic or metal parts are kind of a pet peeve of mine.
This,..........
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:32   #25
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty_dragon View Post
how do you determine the exact position the trigger safety lever in the middle of the trigger has to have before starting to sand / cut it down?

how do you pin it in this defined position and then work on the safety lever in the middle of the trigger?
I eye ball it,where the flat of the safety does not match the curve of the trigger. Sometimes it's not so much the shape of the safety as the parting line caused the mould that the safety came out of.
I have seen some that were barely noticeable to the eye to some that in my mind should have never been installed in the first place.
Some I have recently done and haven't stripped the lower.I have used a flat tooth pick behind the trigger safety while it is in place in the lower.
The one that was so poorly moulded I used a Exacto #. 11 blade to carve off the parting line before I shaped it with the sandpaper,it's not that difficult once you have done the first one,good luck. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:42   #26
dusty_dragon

thanks a lot, SJ 40

for the tooth-pick-method:
does the trigger has to be in the fired or unfired position, if you don't wanna disassemble the whole thing?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:03   #27
English

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer View Post
I have never understood the Glock safety trigger concept. It is designed so that you can't pull the trigger unless you pull the trigger. Makes no sense to me.

OK, you can't pull just one side of the trigger, and this might save someone getting it caught in clothing or something. I wonder if it has ever done any good.

What is the thought process really?
The Glock trigger safety is widely misunderstood. It is in fact one of three drop safeties. Without it, if the pistol was dropped on the rear of the slide the acceleration could make the trigger bar heavy enough to release the firing pin and fire the pistol as though the trigger had been pulled. In the same direction of acceleration, the trigger safety is ballanced about its mid point pivot and so is unaffected and continues to block the weight of the trigger bar, thus preventing the pistol from firing.

The trigger safety has no function or design intention to prevent the trigger being pulled back by anything -finger, jacket toggle, shirt and so on - that is pressing against the trigger except in the rare event that something is pressing just against the trigger without pressing on the trigger safety.

English
English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:50   #28
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by English View Post
The Glock trigger safety is widely misunderstood. It is in fact one of three drop safeties. Without it, if the pistol was dropped on the rear of the slide the acceleration could make the trigger bar heavy enough to release the firing pin and fire the pistol as though the trigger had been pulled. In the same direction of acceleration, the trigger safety is ballanced about its mid point pivot and so is unaffected and continues to block the weight of the trigger bar, thus preventing the pistol from firing.
That's an interesting idea, and it makes mechanical sense. I really wonder, though, how realistic it is. Given how much pressure it takes to pull the trigger (overcoming the striker spring at its most compressed, compressing the striker block plunger against its spring, and the friction of the sear sliding off the striker under tension) and given the fairly small mass of the stamped trigger bar, could the sear actually be released this way even if the gun were to achieve terminal velocity and land squarely on the back of the slide on a concrete surface? Has it ever been tried? Or is it a lawyer mandated design feature to satisfy some import requirement or an imagined legal scenario?

I'm almost tempted to go down and see if I can get the sear to release by pounding the back of the slide on my workbench with the trigger safety taped out of the way and (of course) the gun unloaded. But I'd rather not abuse my gun that way.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:06   #29
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:

The trigger safety has no function or design intention to prevent the trigger being pulled back by anything -finger, jacket toggle, shirt and so on - that is pressing against the trigger except in the rare event that something is pressing just against the trigger without pressing on the trigger safety.

English
Yup! (Beat me to it!)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:17   #30
MNBud

Wasn't there a video posted a short while back showing that the Glock would discharge every time the guy dropped it squarely on the back end of the slide or the backside of the grip I don't remember which.

Sub club #622
Certified Glock armorer
MNBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:32   #31
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty_dragon View Post
thanks a lot, SJ 40

for the tooth-pick-method:
does the trigger has to be in the fired or unfired position, if you don't wanna disassemble the whole thing?
Unfired,final sanding is easier in the fired position.

SJ 40

Last edited by SJ 40; 10-04-2012 at 09:37.. Reason: add
Old 10-04-2012, 09:38   #32
dhgeyer

Quote:

English
Well, being a curious sort I just had to know. I took my Glock 19 Gen 4 down into the shop, taped the trigger safety to disable it, checked 5 times to make sure it was empty, set the trigger, and whacked the back of the slide with a mallet (rubber face on one side, plastic face on the other). I tried several times. To my surprise, if I hit it hard enough with the plastic face of the mallet I was able to get the trigger to pull and striker to fall. I got it to do it several times.

I consider myself educated. Yes, the Glock trigger safety is needed and is good design. Thank you, English, for correcting me on this.

As a side note, and more relevant to this thread, I would never modify the trigger safety or any other safety on any gun, especially one I keep in the nightstand or carry. Even if I thought the safety was a total waste (which up until a few minutes ago I did), I still would not touch it. I would be too concerned about legal issues in case of an AD or even an intentional self defense shooting. Even if it were just a range gun or competition gun I wouldn't do it. You can have an AD at the range or in competition as well as anywhere else. Even knowing that what is being discussed here will not affect the function of the trigger safety, and I do believe that, I still wouldn't do it. Once you have made any modification to a safety mechanism the deed is done, and you have given some slimy lawyer all he/she needs to crucify you.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:01   #33
JBS

Quote:
Well, being a curious sort I just had to know. I took my Glock 19 Gen 4 down into the shop, taped the trigger safety to disable it, checked 5 times to make sure it was empty, set the trigger, and whacked the back of the slide with a mallet (rubber face on one side, plastic face on the other). I tried several times. To my surprise, if I hit it hard enough with the plastic face of the mallet I was able to get the trigger to pull and striker to fall. I got it to do it several times.

I consider myself educated. Yes, the Glock trigger safety is needed and is good design. Thank you, English, for correcting me on this.

As a side note, and more relevant to this thread, I would never modify the trigger safety or any other safety on any gun, especially one I keep in the nightstand or carry. Even if I thought the safety was a total waste (which up until a few minutes ago I did), I still would not touch it. I would be too concerned about legal issues in case of an AD or even an intentional self defense shooting. Even if it were just a range gun or competition gun I wouldn't do it. You can have an AD at the range or in competition as well as anywhere else. Even knowing that what is being discussed here will not affect the function of the trigger safety, and I do believe that, I still wouldn't do it. Once you have made any modification to a safety mechanism the deed is done, and you have given some slimy lawyer all he/she needs to crucify you.
Gaston is not so silly after all. Opened your eyes didnít it. I wonder which engineer dropped the prototype and shot a hole in the ceiling.
2 Corinthians 11:13-15
JBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:12   #34
Roering
Sorting nuts

I'm in the minority here but I think the firing pin safety is pure genius. I even prefer to have it on a 1911.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:16   #35
SJ 40

Quote:

If done correctly you are not changing the safety or function of it in any way. It still works as designed all one is doing is cleaning off the moulding flash and sprue,which if the factory cared more than just get the units out the door the trigger safety wouldn't have in the first place. SJ 40
Old 10-04-2012, 11:41   #36
dusty_dragon

thanks for the information, SJ 40

i also think, if done correctly, the sanding is absolutely no issue and the trigger safety is not unsafer at all and functions to 100% like ment to be. you just tune the shape, not the function
Old 10-04-2012, 12:04   #37
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ 40 View Post
If done correctly you are not changing the safety or function of it in any way. It still works as designed all one is doing is cleaning off the moulding flash and sprue,which if the factory cared more than just get the units out the door the trigger safety wouldn't have in the first place. SJ 40
I already said that I understand and believe that what is being described here will not affect the function of the safety or make it less safe. That wasn't really my point.

SCUMBAG LAWYER: Mr. SJ, did you or did you not modify in any way the trigger safety on your Glock pistol?

SJ: Yes sir, but I only took off enough material to deburr the safety and make it more comfortable to shoot.

SCUMBAG LAWYER: And what makes you so certain that what you did in irresponsibly removing material from the Glock designed and manufactured safety mechanism would not affect its function?

SJ: Well, it's well known and has been thoroughly discussed on the Internet forum I participate in. Other than that, I thought about it and I couldn't see the harm.....

And so on. Unless you're a Glock engineer you're not going to win.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:14   #38
Alcoy

i never thought of it before. i have to check when i get home.

thanks for starting this thread.
Alcoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:29   #39
JBS

Quote:
I already said that I understand and believe that what is being described here will not affect the function of the safety or make it less safe. That wasn't really my point.

SCUMBAG LAWYER: Mr. SJ, did you or did you not modify in any way the trigger safety on your Glock pistol?

SJ: Yes sir, but I only took off enough material to deburr the safety and make it more comfortable to shoot.

SCUMBAG LAWYER: And what makes you so certain that what you did in irresponsibly removing material from the Glock designed and manufactured safety mechanism would not affect its function?

SJ: Because I deliberately and with full intent aimed my pistol at the center of your expired clientís chest and fired two rounds in defense of my life......
I know what you are getting at dhgeyer, but could not resist.
2 Corinthians 11:13-15
JBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 13:16   #40
SJ 40

Quote:

SJ: Well, it's well known and has been thoroughly discussed on the Internet forum I participate in. Other than that, I thought about it and I couldn't see the harm.....

And so on. Unless you're a Glock engineer you're not going to win.
Wether some one undercuts their trigger guard,stipples their gun has the slide front serrated,installs night sights, shaves the parting line off their trigger is up to them. That is a decision each one has to make,you know that thing called free choice. SJ 40