Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2012, 19:22   #1
ae708

Did I mess up?

I had been loading some .223 ammo and was using CCI #41 5.56 primers. This afternoon I went out to the shop looking for something to do and grabbed a can of 9mm cases and started priming them. After I was done with about 40 or so, which I tossed into the can with some others that were primed I realized that I had used the 5.56 small rifle primers. Now the question....do you think I can load these and shoot them in my G23 or will those primers be too hard for the firing pin in the Glock? I guess I could load a few with light loads and give it a try but hoped maybe one of y'all could give me an answer. Thanks........
Old 10-03-2012, 19:25   #2
Steve Koski
Got Insurance?

They might work. But your load data won't account for the difference. Rifle primers are harder and burn hotter.

Just SLOWLY deprime the cases. Save the primers and use 'em in your 223. Wear safety glasses. I've deprimed hundreds of live primers, never had one pop. Just go slow.
Old 10-03-2012, 20:10   #3
ae708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Koski View Post
They might work. But your load data won't account for the difference. Rifle primers are harder and burn hotter.

Just SLOWLY deprime the cases. Save the primers and use 'em in your 223. Wear safety glasses. I've deprimed hundreds of live primers, never had one pop. Just go slow.
The problem with depriming them is this....they are mixed in with the other cases primed with small pistol primers. Since both primers are brass I'm not sure that I can tell the difference in them in order to reuse them. There seems to be a slight color difference but I'm not sure I want to rely on that. I might just deprime them all and toss the primers in the burn barrel and listen to them pop, although they don't pop with much authority when they cook off.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:55   #4
ae708

Ok...if anyone cares.... I figured a way out of my dilemma. I looked at the business end of new primers and saw that the small pistol primers were mostly red and the 5.56 primers were brass colored with just 3 spots of red at the outer edges. So with the aid of a light I looked into the cases and through the primer hole I could see either red or brass. I deprimed the ones that showed brass and checked them against new primers and they were the rifle primers. So I saved having to deprime about 75 properly primed cases. All in all a pretty good outcome to my brain fart. That will teach me, hopefully, to pay more attention when I reload.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:06   #5
Colorado4Wheel

Good Thinking.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:15   #6
VN350X10

I would have just left them.....small rifle primers have been used by IPSC shooters for years in .38 super & 9mm major rounds.
Most handguns will light them off readily.And if you're not at a redline load, they shouldn't really matter.
If they were the CCI 41's, they might not have fired, as they DO have a harder priming cup to help prevent a slam fire.
A bit of testing would be in order & more care next time !

uncle albert
NRA Endowment Member, NRA Certified Instructor for Rifle & Pistol, Illinois State Rifle Assn. - Life Member, GSSF Life Member,N.R.O.I. level I, IL Glockers #34
G: 19,20(x2),21,22,23(x2),24,27,29,34,35 & 36 (still counting)
USPSA, IDPA,
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 13:19   #7
ae708

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN350X10 View Post
I would have just left them.....small rifle primers have been used by IPSC shooters for years in .38 super & 9mm major rounds.
Most handguns will light them off readily.And if you're not at a redline load, they shouldn't really matter.
If they were the CCI 41's, they might not have fired, as they DO have a harder priming cup to help prevent a slam fire.
A bit of testing would be in order & more care next time !

uncle albert
yeah... I mentioned in the first post that they were CCI 41s, the hard primer cup is why I was concerned, not so much that they were small rifle primer. But yes, more care from now on. It's easy to get complacent when you're used to doing a repetitive job.