Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:34   #21
Noponer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal tupperwa View Post
in the "old" days we only had 6
In the really "old" days (June 27, 1992 - first match), there were only 4 divisions:

Civilian Amateur, Civilian-L (17 longslide), Out-of-Region, & Unlimited. The last 2 allowed civilian & law enforcement shooters. (Total of 160 entries)

Of course, there were no 34's or subcompacts then & no .40 caliber Glocks at all! The .45 GAP was far from being born then.
Noponer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:58   #22
S.Kargoh

As far as division dilution goes, I'd make the arguement that competition and master stock are diluted versions of amciv (for a lot of shooters ).

They often are just used as warmups or even referred to as throw aways.

I'd say do away with competition, and master stock, and guardian.

Just have a stock division (any stock glock) open to masters and amateur and guardian, with prize awards to top3 of each of those.

Then the sub compact, heavy metal, unlimited. (eliminate major sub, they suck :D )

4 divisions. Boom.

One handed would make 5 (you can use any hand you want).
At least a one handed division would actually be different. As it is now, many people use just one gun and technique over several divisions. That seems pretty diluted to me.

Bonus points for safe handling.

Last edited by S.Kargoh; 10-03-2012 at 11:04..
S.Kargoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 13:11   #23
Justin1911

How bout a "major sub weak hand only" division. GSSF would have to pay me $25 to shoot that!
Justin1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 13:14   #24
Justin1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noponer View Post
In the really "old" days (June 27, 1992 - first match), there were only 4 divisions:

Dang you guys are old! I was 12 then
Justin1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 13:18   #25
S.Kargoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngann View Post
Yeah, it is scary facing 6 plates when you know you only have 7 rounds in the gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1911 View Post
How bout a "major sub weak hand only" division. GSSF would have to pay me $25 to shoot that!

With plates shaped and sized as barn walls.
Old 10-03-2012, 17:51   #26
Noponer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1911 View Post
Dang you guys are old! I was 12 then
Heyyyyy!

Let a guy win 2nd place in the Gunny Challenge & he thinks he can say anything!
Noponer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 18:46   #27
njl

I think if you wanted to do this, it would need to be limited to master class shooters in order to stack the odds in favor of the shooters being able to do it safely.

Also, consider how much this would slow things down. I'm far from a master, but I can shoot the plates in about 4s per rack when I'm doing well. If I were to do it one handed (or one handed weak hand) I'd probably take about 30s per run, leave some plates standing, and maybe send a few over the berm. Most of the entrants at GSSF matches just aren't up to the challenge and are doing well if they can safely get through the match shooting strong hand with both hands.

Last edited by njl; 10-03-2012 at 18:46..
njl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 23:17   #28
pistolcompetitor

OK. Safety, slowing down the entire match. I can see the reasons against. That's the great thing about GSSF-- brings new and seasoned shooters together. OK, maybe some people are just WAY too new and need to even learn the 4 rules. Just thought I'd throw it out there...

...but I'll have to try this one handed. FWIW the RO's won't have to worry about me compared to some of the people that Don at PC mentioned. Sharpshooter in IDPA here and still working on improving my skills. Hence the thread.
pistolcompetitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:51   #29
Comrade Bork

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolcompetitor View Post
I sent this e-mail to glock.us but I'm wondering if anyone's shot with something other than their strong, two-hand grip. Anyone tried, one hand, weak hand shooting, or even mirror image? Obviously it's not to win the match, but to challenge yourself with your shooting skills.

Would be nice, though for GSSF to create these divisions, so that people can see how they do against others who choose to do it the same way. The only way to do a weak hand division is that the person will have had to have shot a regular division, so that GSSF can know the difference. Everybody wins though-- more fun, more range time, a little more $ for GSSF. More time for the RO's, but I'm always appreciative of that FWIW.
If you want to shoot one handed, venerable NRA 2700 is available to you.

If you want to shoot support hand only, USPSA and, I think, IDPA do from time to time.

GSSF is for NEW shooters; it is introductory competition shooting.

It is not the place to tempt them into trying things that do not much lend themselves to the primary purpose of the Glock firearm; their learining how to use it to defend their lives when that "bump" happens in the night.

Glock susidizes GSSF as it stands. GSSF is an advertising activity for Glock. It is a net expense; not a net income generator.

A new Division requires a budget for the new prizes, over the 44 matches on the current schedule.

44 new Guns. 44 new $100 second place awards. 44 new $75 3rd place awards.

TIMES TWO. Amateur AND Master! 88 x guns, 88 x $100, 88 x $75.

How in the name of Gaston Glock do you expect Gaston Glock to lose even more money to support one-hand or support-hand, or backwards-over-the-shoulder-sighting-with-a-mirror or what have you Annie Oakley stunt shooting?

Last edited by Comrade Bork; 10-04-2012 at 17:55..
Comrade Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 18:03   #30
S.Kargoh

I have seen plenty of defense and police shootings in which one or more hands were struck with bullets. It is valuable to practice with one hand.

That is the only reason I do so.

Last edited by S.Kargoh; 10-04-2012 at 18:03..
Old 10-04-2012, 18:12   #31
njl

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Kargoh View Post
I have seen plenty of defense and police shootings in which one or more hands were struck with bullets. It is valuable to practice with one hand.

That is the only reason I do so.
As has already been said, if you want a competitive shooting venue that simulates defensive shooting, there's IDPA. GSSF is a mix of really good/experienced shooters, intermediate shooters, and people who just learned how to spell Glock. It's not the place to get crazy with handicapping rules.
Old 10-04-2012, 18:44   #32
S.Kargoh

Yeah, I want to do those ypes of comps eventually. Just don't know anything about where they are or how to get started.

ny practice I can get (including gssf ) I am up for.
Old 10-04-2012, 19:14   #33
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Warning! If you have no sense of humor - move along, nothing to see here.

We used to play snowshoe softball when I lived in Alaska.

Rules
1 Play on snow.
2 All players must wear snowshoes.
3 Each base runner must consume a full beer before advancing to the next base.
4 All balls were spray painted florescent colors (softballs!).

I propose we convert the rules of snowshoe softball to GSSF, hereafter to be known as Noshoe GSSF.

Rules
1 Instead of snow, the shoot will be held on sand (or in a coal mine) and all shooters must wear heavy parkas and no shoes.
2 Each shooter must consume a ice cold beer or bourbon shot before each round of each stage. 3 shots at Glock M, 3 shots at 5 to Glock, and 4 shots at the Plates.
3 Any shooter desiring to re-shoot a stage must move to the end of the line. No extra range fee charged.
4 Shooters in multiple categories must bring a designated wagon puller to the match. (To haul their drunk butt to the car.)
6 In the interest of keeping things moving, scores will be assessed and retained by each individual shooter.
7 In place of range officers each stage will be manned by 3 bartenders.
8 For any shooter that cannot walk to his car unassisted - All balls will be painted a permanent fluorescent color.

Last edited by bustedknee; 10-04-2012 at 19:15..
bustedknee is offline   Reply With Quote