GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 12:48   #41
F106 Fan
Senior Member
 
F106 Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,761
At our range you can NOT shoot skeet with an 18.5" barrel. It just isn't allowed. Nor can you shoot on the range with a pistol grip stock.

Real trap and skeet shooters don't want to be disturbed by the sight and noise of tactical shotguns on the range and since they run the range, they make the rules!

Richard
__________________
"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." - Lily Tomlin
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 21:30   #42
RYT 2BER
Senior Member
 
RYT 2BER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Gunshine State
Posts: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz04 View Post
I bought a new mossberg 500 for about $250 with a 28" barrel and then ordered a 18" cylinder bore barrel for the house for about 80$. One hand screw to change them takes 30 secondss
This is more than likely the answer you seek
__________________
Unfortunately, with all the advances in medical science, there still just isnt any cure for "stupid".
RYT 2BER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:36   #43
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
I disagree. Sure, you can shoot skeet with a HD shotgun, but that does not mean it is optimal. The longer barrel assists with swing and follow through. I've played with my HD shotgun on a skeet course, and my score greatly improved when I went back to the O/U.
It may not be optimal, but your skill should allow you to pull out by a wide margin.

The O/U gives you two shots, with no pumping. You may have experienced this disadvantage from the action itself when shooting more than once per round. That takes practice.

I have 28 inch barrels and 18 inch barrels for my mossbergs, I notice little advantage with the 28 inch barrel. It's blown out of proportion by too many people, including yourself - In my opinion.

Again, if you're having trouble with your "swing" to hold on the clays, you should probably bring out the shotguns a little bit more and practice with them, then.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:57   #44
cyphertext
Senior Member
 
cyphertext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
I have 28 inch barrels and 18 inch barrels for my mossbergs, I notice little advantage with the 28 inch barrel. It's blown out of proportion by too many people, including yourself - In my opinion.

Again, if you're having trouble with your "swing" to hold on the clays, you should probably bring out the shotguns a little bit more and practice with them, then.
Your opinion does not match those of professional shotgunners the world over. The length of the barrel (longer typically being heavier) affects follow through. Many (probably most) shooters tend to stop moving the gun once the trigger is pulled, thus shooting behind a moving target. A longer, heavier barrel, has more momentum and does not stop as easily, and tends to keep moving.

Why do you think those hunting / SD combos come with two barrels? It is because the longer barrel is easier to track a moving target with. Otherwise, all barrels should be about 22", where your shot is no longer gaining velocity, since you think there is no advantage to a longer barrel.

Last edited by cyphertext; 10-04-2012 at 10:19.. Reason: spelling error
cyphertext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:00   #45
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
Your opinion does not match those of professional shotgunners the world over. The length of the barrel (longer typically being heavier) affects follow through. Many (probably most) shooters tend to stop moving the gun once the trigger is pulled, thus shooting behind a moving target. A longer, heavier barrel, has more momentum and does not stop as easily, and tends to keep moving.

Why do you think those hunting / SD combos come with two barrels? It is because the longer barrel is easier to track a moving target with. Otherwise, all barrels should be about 22", where your shot is no longer gaining velocity, since you think there is no advantage to a longer barrel.

Dude, you're talking PROFESSIONAL shotgunners. This guy is NOT a professional. When you compete professionally, you want any advantage you can get. You're sounding like one of those who say a muzzle break on your AR-15 is a must or you won't be able to shoot fast with it.

Skill > Equipment, until you get to a professional level. Until then, he should worry about practicing. An 18 inch barrel is NOT going to mess his "swing" up.

It's funny how you're making it sound like it's hard to "track a moving target" with an 18 inch barrel. I've outshot plenty of people with an 18 inch barrel when doing skeet/trap. You're blowing this out of proportion.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:23   #46
cyphertext
Senior Member
 
cyphertext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
Dude, you're talking PROFESSIONAL shotgunners. This guy is NOT a professional. When you compete professionally, you want any advantage you can get. You're sounding like one of those who say a muzzle break on your AR-15 is a must or you won't be able to shoot fast with it.

Skill > Equipment, until you get to a professional level. Until then, he should worry about practicing. An 18 inch barrel is NOT going to mess his "swing" up.

It's funny how you're making it sound like it's hard to "track a moving target" with an 18 inch barrel. I've outshot plenty of people with an 18 inch barrel when doing skeet/trap. You're blowing this out of proportion.
You don't even have to look at pro shooters...just look at the responses in this thread. You are the only one in the thread advocating shooting clays with an 18" barrel. I guarantee you if you take a beginner and have him shoot a round with the short barrel and then a round with the longer barrel, he will do better with the longer barrel. If the OP wants to play competitively, he will need a longer barrel. If he wants to shoot at hand thrown clays in the back 40 while enjoying a Miller Lite, then have at it with the 18".

You can drive a T Post with a hammer, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be easier with a post driver...
cyphertext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 18:00   #47
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
You don't even have to look at pro shooters...just look at the responses in this thread. You are the only one in the thread advocating shooting clays with an 18" barrel. I guarantee you if you take a beginner and have him shoot a round with the short barrel and then a round with the longer barrel, he will do better with the longer barrel. If the OP wants to play competitively, he will need a longer barrel. If he wants to shoot at hand thrown clays in the back 40 while enjoying a Miller Lite, then have at it with the 18".

You can drive a T Post with a hammer, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be easier with a post driver...
The responses on this thread are from people who aspire to be professionals. I won't speculate if I can or cannot outshoot them in a round of skeet, but to go by "popular opinion", on the internet nonetheless is just silly.

Again, if he competes professionally, where more is on the line than just his "rep" then absolutely, take any advantage you can get. I gaurantee you 99% on this board are not on that level. The difference when it comes to skill levels lower is negligible.

If I were competing for cash, I wouldn't even use a pump to begin with. Pump will leave you at a far greater disadvantage than a short barrel will. Give me an O/U or semi auto shotgun with a longer barrel if I want every little advantage I can get.

Again, if money isn't on the line, and you're just shooting against buddies, outshooting them with an 18 inch pump gun, while they're all using gamer 32 inch shotguns is priceless. When I do lose, usually not by much, I can still say "well guys, what did you expect? Look at my cheap 250$ 18 inch mossberg!"

You're taking this way too seriously man. It's a GAME, a game that the OP is not competing with for money, or anything of any significant value. WHO CARES? That's why we go back to what I was originally saying - SKILL > equipment (regarding barrel lengths).
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 19:50   #48
cyphertext
Senior Member
 
cyphertext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
The responses on this thread are from people who aspire to be professionals. I won't speculate if I can or cannot outshoot them in a round of skeet, but to go by "popular opinion", on the internet nonetheless is just silly.

Again, if he competes professionally, where more is on the line than just his "rep" then absolutely, take any advantage you can get. I gaurantee you 99% on this board are not on that level. The difference when it comes to skill levels lower is negligible.

If I were competing for cash, I wouldn't even use a pump to begin with. Pump will leave you at a far greater disadvantage than a short barrel will. Give me an O/U or semi auto shotgun with a longer barrel if I want every little advantage I can get.

Again, if money isn't on the line, and you're just shooting against buddies, outshooting them with an 18 inch pump gun, while they're all using gamer 32 inch shotguns is priceless. When I do lose, usually not by much, I can still say "well guys, what did you expect? Look at my cheap 250$ 18 inch mossberg!"

You're taking this way too seriously man. It's a GAME, a game that the OP is not competing with for money, or anything of any significant value. WHO CARES? That's why we go back to what I was originally saying - SKILL > equipment (regarding barrel lengths).
I don't think those who are advocating using a pump with two barrels are aspiring to be professionals. Go back and read where I even said if you are wanting to play competitively, get an O/U, but if it is weekend with buddies, then go with a pump and a couple of barrels. Regardless of which way you want to play, the longer barrel is better for skeet and wing shooting. Using the wrong tool for the job does not build skill, it builds frustration. Trust me, if you are shooting perfect score of 25 with an 18" barrel, you are the exception, not the norm.

Obviously I am not going to change your opinion, and you are not going to change mine, because you are wrong...so let's just agree to disagree.
cyphertext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 20:53   #49
skeeter1959
Senior Member
 
skeeter1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 2,976
Just buy either a Beretta 3901 or a Mossberg 930 auto. Both under $600. I have The 930 Mossy auto. For $400, it's the best value in autos next to the 3901.

If you get serious about skeet, then look for a used Beretta 680 series with sub-gauge tubes. My personal comp skeet gun is a Krieghoff K-80, and my son shoots a Browning 525 sporting. We are die hard skeet shooters though. Both have Briley sub-gage tubes for shooting 20, 28 and .410 loads.

As far as HD is concerned, my 930 Mossy with a 28" barrel is HD enough for me.
skeeter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 21:02   #50
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
I don't think those who are advocating using a pump with two barrels are aspiring to be professionals.
Exactly! So if they aren't aspiring to be professionals, their training/skill matters much more than an extra 10 inches of barrel....

Quote:
Using the wrong tool for the job does not build skill, it builds frustration. Trust me, if you are shooting perfect score of 25 with an 18" barrel, you are the exception, not the norm.
The wrong tool for the job? Last I checked, a shotgun with a cylinder or improved cylinder choke with number 8 shot is more than capable of knocking skeet out to 30-40 yards, even with an 18 inch barrel. Or am I the exception with that too?

I will admit though, I don't take skeet shooting seriously. I've shot it for 11 years now, and was started on it at age 12. Hell, if the range allows I'll start with the shotgun unloaded, breach open at my waist. Say "pull" - load one in the port, shoulder and fire (not at every station). That's what I am working on at the moment to get down to a "T".

Don't kid yourself on me being the only one who does this. Looking at members on this forum specifically, if I recall correctly BigBird (correct me if I'm wrong bigbird) has used 18 or 20 inch barrels for birds and skeet. Yea, we're in the minority, because most think a 28 inch or longer barrel is a MUST, it really isn't.

Quote:
Regardless of which way you want to play, the longer barrel is better for skeet and wing shooting.
I agree, but once again you blow this "handicap" way out of proportion.

Quote:
Obviously I am not going to change your opinion, and you are not going to change mine, because you are wrong...so let's just agree to disagree.
Fair enough. We can agree to disagree, I just don't want someone new to shotguns, such as the OP to think that he's going to be completely useless on the 18 inch barrel when shooting skeet against his buddies. Too many people on glocktalk blame their equipment, and not them. It's hilarious really, reminds me of back when we were all kids and that one kid loved to say "the sun was in my eyes!"

I know I tease my buddies when they beat me with their gamer shotguns saying "yea I only am using a riot gun though!" and vise versa, when I beat them I say "all you need is a riot gun, works for everything!" BUT in reality, I know if I lost, it was because they simply outshot me. If I didn't lose, I outshot them. The only time I'll buy someone's story is if their using a pistol or rifle (now THAT'S the wrong tool for the job) to knock out skeet.

In my personal opinion, and I'm not calling you a loser, BUT...... Losers blame their gear, the better person/player at whatever game thinks on how they can improve their tactics/skill.

Concluding, you and I are simply in disagreement with how much 10 inches of barrel really affects you with the task at hand.

You're right though, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited by OctoberRust; 10-05-2012 at 13:18.. Reason: spelling
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 00:58   #51
dajcarroll
Senior Member
 
dajcarroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 567
I use a Winchester 1300 12 gauge for HD. 22" deer slug barrel, smooth bore open choke, with fiberoptic rifle sights, and a mag extension. - $200 for the gun, $80 for the fiberoptic sights and mag extension. Great HD gun for under $300. I can also take the mag extension back off, and throw the Pro Diamond scope back on for a perfect deer gun.

For trap/skeet and target fun I bought a New England Pardner 12 gauge with a 28" full choke barrel. I can also use this gun for turkey hunting. - $100

Tactical Shotguns

Why try to buy one gun for two purposes when you can buy one for each purpose?!... and do it for less than most people buy one shotgun for... Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.


G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
S&W 10-5 .38spl Snub Nose
Winchester 1300 Ranger 12 Ga.
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
Savage 24 O/U - .22LR/410
dajcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 18:18   #52
Aceman
Senior Member
 
Aceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 6,466
I have a Mossberg 535 Turkey/Field combo that would work well 22"/28"

A Mossberg Field/Security combo would be better. 28/18

If you want to be a skeet pro, gotta go semi. However, working skeet with a pump will develop you some SERIOUS skills. It can be done. You just won't be the champ. But you will get to be bad@$$ with the pump!
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:04.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 974
238 Members
736 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42