Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:41   #21
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
I hear ya, I paid full retail for one of the H&R single shot break open 12 gauge "Pardner" shotguns a few years back for maybe a hundred thirty or so total, including transfer fees in CA and tax and all that jazz.

Shot it a few times, hurt like hell, but it was easy to use and simple and I have plans for it later on which does include maybe just cutting it down to 18" from the stock 28" and shortening the stock while keeping it legal with the OAL. It will be a very light and handy shotgun to have in the truck, that's for sure.
These 12 ga single shots kick like a mule particularly when you cut the barrel down. I did notice that with the pouch and stock full of shells, the weight absorbs a little bit of the recoil. The synthetic stocks on the new ones would reduce the overall weight over the wood stocks but increase the recoil as a result.

I have a friend who says the single shot 20 ga version of these is the best compromise between weight and recoil. Doesn't kick as hard and is lighter. In that the barrels are interchangeable, I am on the lookout for a 20 ga barrel.

Choate makes a plastic survival stock for these. Kind of a pistol grip thing that you can store stuff in. They also have a what they call a "store arm" which is a slightly over sized fore stock with storage in it. It has a knob for the forearm screw to make it easy to take down.

Lots of possibilities with these things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mac66; 10-04-2012 at 08:42..
mac66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:37   #22
Slackinoff

Great post mac66. Shooting single shots is actually fun too! I took a breakopen .410 to the skeet range and had a smashing good time. I have been thinking about getting a 12g or 20g breakopen for a truck/survival gun.

Here is a video about some adapters. This guy is shooting 9mm, 38/.357, 45acp, .44mag and .22 out of his 12g break open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l4PBOQT1dg

Here is the website for the adapters

http://www.shotgunadapter.com/

Last edited by Slackinoff; 10-04-2012 at 10:39..
Slackinoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 16:43   #23
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
These 12 ga single shots kick like a mule particularly when you cut the barrel down. I did notice that with the pouch and stock full of shells, the weight absorbs a little bit of the recoil. The synthetic stocks on the new ones would reduce the overall weight over the wood stocks but increase the recoil as a result.

I have a friend who says the single shot 20 ga version of these is the best compromise between weight and recoil. Doesn't kick as hard and is lighter. In that the barrels are interchangeable, I am on the lookout for a 20 ga barrel.

Choate makes a plastic survival stock for these. Kind of a pistol grip thing that you can store stuff in. They also have a what they call a "store arm" which is a slightly over sized fore stock with storage in it. It has a knob for the forearm screw to make it easy to take down.

Lots of possibilities with these things.
I noticed that. Slugs are pretty brutal out of them. I have one nearly identical to yours that I use as a truck gun.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:27   #24
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackinoff View Post
Great post mac66. Shooting single shots is actually fun too! I took a breakopen .410 to the skeet range and had a smashing good time. I have been thinking about getting a 12g or 20g breakopen for a truck/survival gun.

Here is a video about some adapters. This guy is shooting 9mm, 38/.357, 45acp, .44mag and .22 out of his 12g break open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l4PBOQT1dg

Here is the website for the adapters

http://www.shotgunadapter.com/
Interesting, thanks for that.

This guy also has some videos with these shotguns including this one with the survival stock I mentioned and adapters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhtj...eature=related

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mac66; 10-04-2012 at 17:51..
Old 10-04-2012, 23:23   #25
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
These 12 ga single shots kick like a mule particularly when you cut the barrel down.
Mine kicks like a mule even with the full +28" barrel shooting out low recoil birdshot for trap.

I put a thick recoil pad on it and that helped a lot but did add a bit of length of pull, but since the gun is so compact, it was okay.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 00:39   #26
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Never trifle with a man who carries a single shot rifle. Odds are, he knows how to use it.
Old 10-05-2012, 00:41   #27
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
Never trifle with a man who carries a single shot rifle. Odds are, he knows how to use it.
Is that like always follow the man with one leg, because he ain't taking the long way around and will know all the shortcuts.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:29   #28
quake

And "don't run from the fat cop". (Because he can't chase you, so he's more likely to just shoot you.)

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:26   #29
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Is that like always follow the man with one leg, because he ain't taking the long way around and will know all the shortcuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
And "don't run from the fat cop". (Because he can't chase you, so he's more likely to just shoot you.)
Yup! Those are nice ones.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:33   #30
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
Here is a video with Clint Smith from Thunder Ranch on various shotguns for Home Defense, including a single shot similar to the OP's setup.

With some practice, enough shells, and a good defensible spot, you can repeal borders all day long.

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 10-05-2012 at 09:33..
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:28   #31
quake

While there's obvious advantages and disadvantages with different styles and platforms, the last words of that video are worthy of being sig-line material:
Quote:
"I don't need a thousand dollar shotgun. I need to know how to run the shotgun I got."

True of so many things. Imo, many folks would be further ahead with a less-expensive gun, and spending the difference on practice ammo.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:00   #32
mac66
Plant the seed

One of the nice things about the H&R is that it has an ejector. It throws the empty shell out when you open the barrel.

The other nice thing about it is that the front forearm screw can be undone with a coin (like the dime in the photo) and the whole gun broken down into two narrow 18" pieces. If you wanted to stash it away in a compartment in your truck, trunk, BOB or whatever it is pretty easy to do.

Survival/Preparedness Forum

Put together it is 32.5" OAL with the rubber pad on it. It could conceivably be cut down to 26" OAL (6" off the stock) and still be legal as long as the barrel stayed at 18". 6" shorter would be about where the far right shotgun shell is in the photo.

Last edited by mac66; 10-05-2012 at 13:27..
Old 10-05-2012, 12:43   #33
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I have a TC Encore and a single shot shotgun.

The shotgun is VERY old heirloom. If push came to shove it could be used for a game getter, but....it would not be a first choice.

I originally thought the Encore would have multiple barrels and be the general use gun, but... Barrels are expensive. It is very accurate, but I have to get out of position to load to make the second shot this affects precision grouping. I will probably get another barrel (16inch/308 or 16inch/45LC, for it in the future, but....$$).

If you think you need to arm an large group of newbies....then maybe. But I would prefer to spend my money arming myself with decent to really good stuff and not worry about others. If I have to arm a collective, they will use what I am not using at the time.
Old 10-05-2012, 13:19   #34
mac66
Plant the seed

Here is the thing with these single shot H&R shotguns and barrels. If you have a shotgun made before 1988 it was made with a cast iron frame. If you have one (including the newer NEF guns) made after 1988 it has a steel frame.

The pre 88 frames will take all low pressure barrels which include all the shotgun (including slug) barrels, handgun calibers including magnums, and low pressure rifle calibers. Low pressure rifle calibers include 30-30, 35 Rem, 444 Marlin, 45-70 etc.

You cannot shoot 30-06 family, 308 family, 223 family, or any other high pressure calibers through them. You have to have a post 88, steel frame NEF/Handi rifle receiver to shoot the high pressure stuff. If memory serves me right, the high pressure frames are marked SB2.

You also have to fit each barrel to the specific frame. Not hard but you do need to know what you are doing.

Last edited by mac66; 10-05-2012 at 13:23..
Old 10-05-2012, 13:26   #35
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

An acquaintance of mine has a .22 / 20ga single shot I'd like to get a hold of. Neat combo.

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 13:36   #36
Alcoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
I'd never see that in my garage sales in this area . . .
me too. i have been fortunate in that department.
Alcoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 14:11   #37
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
An acquaintance of mine has a .22 / 20ga single shot I'd like to get a hold of. Neat combo.
One barrel on the frame at a time, or a combo gun (over under) with both barrels on the frame. If the latter...it is a game getter IMHO and well worth having.
Old 10-05-2012, 14:14   #38
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
One barrel on the frame at a time, or a combo gun (over under) with both barrels on the frame. If the latter...it is a game getter IMHO and well worth having.
Under over. Really really want.

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 15:59   #39
nostalgiaguy

Nice truck gun. Ya just cant beat em. I have a few laying around here. I keep alot of broken and demilled guns stashed around the house. I refer to them as bait. My thought is if they break in the will have their arms full of non operable stuff and would more likely leave the safe alone.
nostalgiaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 16:02   #40
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Quote:
And I continue to scour garage sales for just such a gun at bargain basement prices.
I have done the garage sale gun bargain a couple of times.