GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:38   #601
unit1069

Shooting .357 Magnum is no cheaper than shooting .357sig, if you check online prices.

If I was a hunter perhaps I'd prefer the Magnum, but purely for personal self-defense I'll take my 13+1 G-32. And I still believe there's great opportunity for ammo companies to introduce 130-150 grain rounds in the sig caliber. Sellier & Bellot already offers a great 140-grain truncated cone round that I carry for the rare times I'm in the woods.

Last edited by unit1069; 10-05-2012 at 09:40..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:58   #602
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
At the range everyone is wearing ears, right? So I gather if you shoot this load at home or in your car in a self defense situation you will need to be fitted with hearing aids shortly thereafter, (when ever the ringing stops).

My bedside SP-100 357 used to be loaded with 38+P (with ears quickly accessible). Now a G-19 seems good enough and I am more likely not to flinch in a clutch situation.
I have found a .357mag is just as loud if not louder than the sig and yes I have shot them side by side outside with no ears on. People are always bringing up the "the .357sig is loud" but usually those people still have shotguns, ARs and .357mags around for HD. Either of those 3 sure ain't any quieter.

As for the .357mag vs .357sig that too has been beaten to death. I like both but for carrying for SD I will take the smaller, lighter, thinner, over double capacity and can meet 125gr mag velocity G32 over a Revolver any day of the week. Especially considering the majority of the 125gr .357mag loads on the market will not come close to 1450fps out of a 3" or 4" barrel let alone a snubbie.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:16   #603
SCmasterblaster

Still

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I have found a .357mag is just as loud if not louder than the sig and yes I have shot them side by side outside with no ears on. People are always bringing up the "the .357sig is loud" but usually those people still have shotguns, ARs and .357mags around for HD. Either of those 3 sure ain't any quieter.

As for the .357mag vs .357sig that too has been beaten to death. I like both but for carrying for SD I will take the smaller, lighter, thinner, over double capacity and can meet 125gr mag velocity G32 over a Revolver any day of the week. Especially considering the majority of the 125gr .357mag loads on the market will not come close to 1450fps out of a 3" or 4" barrel let alone a snubbie.
It is interesting to note how long the autopistol cartridge designers took to create a round that equals the vaunted .357 Magnum 125gr JHP. The .357 Sig will never be offered with a 158gr bullet, though.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:34   #604
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
It is interesting to note how long the autopistol cartridge designers took to create a round that equals the vaunted .357 Magnum 125gr JHP. The .357 Sig will never be offered with a 158gr bullet, though.
There is a 180gr offering though it is from Double Tap.

The .357mag has more case volume so it is always going to be better suited to pushing heavier bullets faster. Due to that capacity, longer barrels are also preferred to help burn all that powder and increase velocities. For every day carry I just prefer the .357sig, my dad prefers his 7 shot .357mag revolver. For woods carry I would just as soon step up to a .44mag Redhawk.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:47   #605
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
There is a 180gr offering though it is from Double Tap.

The .357mag has more case volume so it is always going to be better suited to pushing heavier bullets faster. Due to that capacity, longer barrels are also preferred to help burn all that powder and increase velocities. For every day carry I just prefer the .357sig, my dad prefers his 7 shot .357mag revolver. For woods carry I would just as soon step up to a .44mag Redhawk.
WOW - really? A 180 gr bullet in .357 Sig? I wonder what the MV is?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:31   #606
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
WOW - really? A 180 gr bullet in .357 Sig? I wonder what the MV is?
1025 fps from a 4" barrel. It's intended as a woods round. Bet it penetrates like crazy because of the high sectional density.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 10-05-2012 at 19:29..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:35   #607
clarkstoncz

Caliber Corner

I've not shot any animals with it, but it has quite the wallop on both ends and ungodly
accurate at least @ 15 yards or closer.
Caliber Corner
A bit smokey to shoot in comparison to other .357 SIG or 9mm loads.
Not as bad as my .44 Special reloads by far.
Caliber Corner
It was developed specifically for Glocks!
Caliber Corner

Here:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=563

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

clarkstoncz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:44   #608
dpadams6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
This. As far as I'm concerned, it's no .357 Mag and it's a over glorified 9mm +P+ than anything else. There is nothing the .357 Sig can do that the .357 can't and in every case, do better.

I'll be staying with semi-auto's in which the first number in the caliber starts with a 4. The .357 Sig isn't a bad round but it isn't anything special either. All it does is cost more to shoot.

I put it this way, if hype alone could kill, this cartridge would be placed on the list with weapons of mass destruction and we wouldn't be able to own it as civilians.
Sorry NEOH212. I will have to disagree with you. We have carried the 357sig at work for about 15 years. Mostly with the gold dot and then hst. I can assure you that it is not just a "overglorified 9mm+p+. I have seen it shot into just about every object you can think of and many times thru every angle of a car. We've also had approx. 12 shootings with same. VERY IMPRESSIVE. And why I think it is the best self defenese handgun caliber on the planet.
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 16:13   #609
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Quote:
At the range everyone is wearing ears, right? So I gather if you shoot this load at home or in your car in a self defense situation you will need to be fitted with hearing aids shortly thereafter, (when ever the ringing stops).

My bedside SP-100 357 used to be loaded with 38+P (with ears quickly accessible). Now a G-19 seems good enough and I am more likely not to flinch in a clutch situation.
No doubt a confined space would make the .357SIG or ANY magnum an ear splitting round. That said, I doubt the SIG round is very much louder than the .40.

My home round is an ordinary 230gr .45ACP. It is fitted with a can from AAC. No ears required.
Old 10-05-2012, 17:20   #610
dpadams6

Quote:

Actually. Shooting Outside or inside for that matter. You will barely hear the gun go off and not have a clue how many rounds you fired. Most of the time you will have shot more than what you thought you heard. Pretty much a non issue. I would not worry about that.

Last edited by dpadams6; 10-05-2012 at 17:22..
Old 10-06-2012, 10:18   #611
gatorboy

Quote:

There's no doubt the 357mag is louder than 357auto with same weight bullets. 125 and lighter, much louder. The standard pressure 230 gr. 45ACP is one of the best for (less) noise. Some heavier .40 loads are subsonic also. If you're thinking about your hearing as I do, a longer barreled auto with subsonic loads will be better than almost any revolver. Sound comes from muzzle and gap (along with flash, unburnt and burned powder) with a revolver. Any load will have less flash (and sound in most cases) as barrel length increases. Sound may get louder if you manage enough tube to bring subsonic up to supersonic. I do like .40 180's or .45 230's for a nightstand gun with at least a 4" tube with 4.5" being better IMO.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:47   #612
PghJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpadams6 View Post
Sorry NEOH212. I will have to disagree with you. We have carried the 357sig at work for about 15 years. Mostly with the gold dot and then hst. I can assure you that it is not just a "overglorified 9mm+p+. I have seen it shot into just about every object you can think of and many times thru every angle of a car. We've also had approx. 12 shootings with same. VERY IMPRESSIVE. And why I think it is the best self defenese handgun caliber on the planet.
I believe the 357 Sig HST bullet is the best round for this caliber and I wonder why it is one of the best kept secrets. It goes well over 1,400fps out of my 4.5" G32 and the damage done to the few varmints I have shot at relatively close range have been most impressive. More damage than a .220 Swift. I am not much for Jello testing, but if you compare tnoutdoors9 test video with the HST 357 Sig to the other handgun calibers test videos, I believe it expands faster, causes more damage with great penetration. I wish Federal would sell the bullet for handloading. The last I looked ATG had some for sale.
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:49   #613
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncz View Post
Caliber Corner

I've not shot any animals with it, but it has quite the wallop on both ends and ungodly
accurate at least @ 15 yards or closer.
Caliber Corner
A bit smokey to shoot in comparison to other .357 SIG or 9mm loads.
Not as bad as my .44 Special reloads by far.
Caliber Corner
It was developed specifically for Glocks!
Caliber Corner

Here:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=563
That is one lethal-looking .357 Sig round.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:51   #614
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghJim View Post
I believe the 357 Sig HST bullet is the best round for this caliber and I wonder why it is one of the best kept secrets. It goes well over 1,400fps out of my 4.5" G32 and the damage done to the few varmints I have shot at relatively close range have been most impressive. More damage than a .220 Swift. I am not much for Jello testing, but if you compare tnoutdoors9 test video with the HST 357 Sig to the other handgun calibers test videos, I believe it expands faster, causes more damage with great penetration. I wish Federal would sell the bullet for handloading. The last I looked ATG had some for sale.
1400 fps from a 4.5" is not special. The Gold Dot and Golden Saber should do about that. The HST may be a hair faster but not enough to make any practical difference.

All of the .357 Sig tests are producing amazing cavities, and in the case of the Gold Dot and Golden Saber, producing ideal penetration (16"ish).

Last edited by cowboy1964; 10-06-2012 at 12:55..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 15:31   #615
PghJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
1400 fps from a 4.5" is not special. The Gold Dot and Golden Saber should do about that. The HST may be a hair faster but not enough to make any practical difference.

All of the .357 Sig tests are producing amazing cavities, and in the case of the Gold Dot and Golden Saber, producing ideal penetration (16"ish).
Do you know you can be a jerk? The only reason I said they went well over 1,400fps is that they are rated for 1,360fps out of a 4" barrel and I am getting about 1,425-30 out of my 4.5" which only says their advertised velocities are accurate and warmish for major manufacture 357 Sig. Most Winchester, remington and 5-petal Speer are under 1,350fps in my gun. I get over 1,500 fps from BB and close to that with DT, and almost handload to that velocity.

However, it is the design of the HST that I was commenting on. Yes they all cause amazing cavities, but the HST starts to expand faster than let's say the PXD1 and has a long cavity. I think 16" is over penetration. I really would not want anything over 14", however, i must admit that the 6-petal Speer has not over penetrated much in actual shootings.

Last edited by PghJim; 10-06-2012 at 15:33..
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:09   #616
dpadams6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghJim View Post
Pghjim, Ill have to agree 100% with you. We carried the gold dots for about 13 years and then switched to glocks. We then did a test comparing gold dot, ranger t, and hst. Shot them all thru many types of barriers. They all pretty much penetrated the same, except gold dot penetrated thru windshield glass SLIGHTLY better. Comparing expansion, the hst expanded the best thru all barriers and functioned flawless. Had a couple hang ups with gold dot and ranger t 's. We felt the hst was the best of the bunch and have been carrying the hst 's now for a couple years. It has worked very well in the street against both two and four legged creatures.

Last edited by dpadams6; 10-06-2012 at 20:10..
Old 10-06-2012, 20:33   #617
seed

Quote:

With all due respect, the absolute last thing I will be reaching for in a high-stress/life and death situation is something to lessen my ability to hear what is going on.
seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 21:29   #618
dkf

Quote:
However, it is the design of the HST that I was commenting on. Yes they all cause amazing cavities, but the HST starts to expand faster than let's say the PXD1 and has a long cavity. I think 16" is over penetration. I really would not want anything over 14", however, i must admit that the 6-petal Speer has not over penetrated much in actual shootings.
I am fine with 16" of penetration. I stock up on HST and the GS Bonded. I can see how a JHP with extra penetration could come in handy. The HSTs just feed really smooth, my G33 likes them.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:10   #619
RichardB
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by seed View Post
With all due respect, the absolute last thing I will be reaching for in a high-stress/life and death situation is something to lessen my ability to hear what is going on.
Nor I. The "Peltor Classic" hanging near my bed improves my hearing as well as muffling the booms.

http://www.peltor.com/peltor.com/com..._num=MT1H7A001

“Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing”
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 13:04   #620
SCmasterblaster

Hearing protection is a good thing to have if you know when there is going to be some shooting. I carry a G17 for self protection, not hearing protection. I figure that I won't lose too much hearing from the two or three shots I fire.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 10-07-2012 at 13:04..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote