SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-04-2012, 22:29   #41
M 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2605 View Post
That birdshot load may be the only fat girl left at the dance. You may prefer the long haired blonde but she may not be there when the music starts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
This is fantastic.
Yes, priceless.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:47   #42
Brucev

Re: OP. Such post make for good youtube entertainment. Addressing HD/SD, such post are a waste of time. I've shot a lot of stuff with standard 12 ga. hunting loads. At across the room distances... it is very effective on targets animate and inanimate. Not concerned about if they are hiding behind a wall, refrigerator, etc. Anyone can concoct some sort of scenario where a particular firearm/caliber/gauge will not be effective.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:53   #43
RichardB
Silver Membership

Am I the only one that seems to dimly remember during the urban riots of the 1960s birdshot fired at the good guys not penetrating LEOs leather jackets? Or is it a myth?

“Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing”
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:12   #44
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc12 View Post
Agreed my experience in EMS and Trauma Centers tells me that from room distances birdshot will make a nice rathole wound. Even in the coldest of weather with thick clothing.
But does it work better than 0, 00, or #4 at close ranges?

I don't think that there is a whole lot of argument that these other loads work better than #7-1/2 or #8 under other conditions.

So bird shot may work well under certain conditions, but other loads work better under a wider variety of conditions.

Of course all bets are off for .410 birdshot in a handgun where there is wide dispersion, and little penetration, even at room distances.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:33   #45
SCmasterblaster

I use the 12ga slug and OO buckshot combo. I like the idea of a slug accompanied by three OO pellets.
Old 10-05-2012, 14:44   #46
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2605 View Post
I haven't read anyone here yet advocating using birdshot over other loads. However, sometimes you have to dance with the girl you bring. In a perfect world you can load this or that and carry a particular firearm. However, I know from experience that this isn't a perfect world and when it hits the fan you have to use what you have at that time. The point of this entire thread is that birdshot will definitely do more damage than some of the uninformed actually realize. Until you have seen the damage then don't discount it doing the job in certain circumstances. That birdshot load may be the only fat girl left at the dance. You may prefer the long haired blonde but she may not be there when the music starts.

Well since you put the analogy like that. I get what I want, so no worries in the first place.

BUT, if that fat girl were the only one left, I'd leave it, and go for the chubby cute girl down the block, IE my glock 19. I'll take that over Birdshot, still.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 16:11   #47
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I use the 12ga slug and OO buckshot combo. I like the idea of a slug accompanied by three OO pellets.
I think that's the Pit Bull.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 16:23   #48
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
I think that's the Pit Bull.
Never heard of a Pit Bull round. I'm sure some random company decided that marketing sells, picked up the well known buck and ball, or whatever you want to call it, and ran with it

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 17:06   #49
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

1.3 oz slug + 6 OO buckshot.

Caliber Corner
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 10-05-2012, 17:37   #50
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'll stick to ammunition from a major, reputable, trusted manufacturer for life or death use.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 10-05-2012, 17:41   #51
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Absolutely. I need to get some Low Recoil.

Old 10-05-2012, 18:10   #52
countrygun

Quote:
The Winchester version prints nicely and reliably from the Mossberg.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:36   #53
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR Spyder GT View Post
Being from Arkansas I've killed several whitetail deer with squirrel shot when I was a kid.

Why does the above not surprise me & somebody from Arkansas

No do not try to shoot a deer with squirrel shot ( I guess he really meant birdshot, since their's no such load that I'm aware of that called squirrel shot, their's smallgame loads , duck, turkey, & buckshot )

The only why I see killing a mature deer with birdshot would be if it was the TEOTWAWKI and I was down to only a birdshot load as my only choice.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:55   #54
SCmasterblaster

I can't help but think

that the tissue damage from the several hundred birdshot pellets would be massive. I may have to rethink my slug/buckshot Mossberg 500 loading.
Old 10-06-2012, 15:10   #55
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
that the tissue damage from the several hundred birdshot pellets would be massive. I may have to rethink my slug/buckshot Mossberg 500 loading.
You need adequate penetration for it to matter. Birdshot isn't likely to give you that.

Old 10-06-2012, 18:33   #56
Providence

I keep my SG loaded with low recoil buck. If I am faced with a situation where someone is in my house and I am in fear for my life or the lives of my family, I want to make sure I neutralize the threat. It's the age old "stopping power" argument.

Please vote! It's that important!
Georgia Club Member #106
Tactical Shotgun Club #58
Rimfire Club #193
Snubbie Club #18
Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 21:55   #57
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Only if it's point-blank, and in the throat.

Old 10-07-2012, 14:04   #58
dcc12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC-Memphis View Post
But does it work better than 0, 00, or #4 at close ranges?

I don't think that there is a whole lot of argument that these other loads work better than #7-1/2 or #8 under other conditions.

So bird shot may work well under certain conditions, but other loads work better under a wider variety of conditions.

Of course all bets are off for .410 birdshot in a handgun where there is wide dispersion, and little penetration, even at room distances.
I'm not saying that one should use birdshot over buck or vice versa. What I am saying is I have seen several people who were shot by accident with birdshot form >20ft who were hurt very bad. Of the 3 I have seen who were shot from <15ft in a defense situation with birdshot all three died in the trauma bay. Just saying
dcc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:24   #59
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc12 View Post
I'm not saying that one should use birdshot over buck or vice versa. What I am saying is I have seen several people who were shot by accident with birdshot form >20ft who were hurt very bad. Of the 3 I have seen who were shot from <15ft in a defense situation with birdshot all three died in the trauma bay. Just saying
Death doesn't mean the round was properly effective, believe it or not.

Old 10-07-2012, 15:40   #60
pokersamurai

Based on my (limited) personal experience I don't even consider birdshot an option for self defense.

Once when I was in college some friends and I were out hunting in the woods when one of my friends (who was not following the 4 rules of gun safety and who is kind of an idiot) accidentally shot one of my other friends with his shotgun, which was loaded with birdshot. My friend who was shot was about 40ft away and it was in late-fall so he was wearing a heavy coat and multiple layers of clothing. He said the birdshot hurt like a SOB and knocked the wind out of him, however, only about a dozen pellets broke the skin and none penetrated even remotely deep enough to be life threatening (he did have a massive bruise afterwards) and he made a full recovery in just a few weeks.

After seeing how little the birdshot effected my friend when he was shot (my friend was completely coherent and physically active afterwards), birdshot is about the last load I would want to use to try and stop a determined attacker who may be high on drugs and feel even less of an effect.

Last edited by pokersamurai; 10-07-2012 at 16:10.. Reason: grammar
pokersamurai is offline   Reply With Quote