GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-05-2012, 23:34   #1
Trigger Finger

Is the exact ammount critical for Water?

Hi. I appreciate the information you provide.

I am storing water for long term use. I keep the water in a 200 gallon container and added one bottle of water preserver concentrate, that is good to treat 165 gallons. Should I buy another bottle of water preserver and only use a small amount to cover the remaining 35 gallons or is it sufficient to use only the one bottle. I plan on 4 to 5 year storage of the 200 gallons.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:04   #2
JC Refuge
GT Sponsor

Actually, the Water Preserver Concentrate that we sell comes in bottles that treat 55 gallons at a time. Our listing is for three of those 55-gallon bottles. So first, I would check to see that, if you used one bottle that it indeed is intended to treat 165 gallons.

If you need to purchase a single 55-gallon-treatment bottle, email me and I will sell you just the one bottle.

Is it critical to get the proper ratio (water to concentrate)? Well, I'd just say that since clean drinking water is the most critical need in a survival situation, the prudent approach would be to store your water with the best-possible means and conditions.

Safecastle Royal Buyers Club
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Refuge blog

Win a Case of MH Food - LIKE us on Facebook

Last edited by JC Refuge; 10-06-2012 at 07:09..
JC Refuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 16:23   #3
Trigger Finger

I will take that as a "YES" to my question! I gather that you should be as exact as possible to treating the entire water you have stored.

I just thought there might be some leeway considering the fact that some people store water with no preservative added at all. I thought that if 75 to 85% of the water was treated it would be enough to treat the water much, much better than nothing!
But I do understand what you are saying about water being the most critical single item needed in a survival situation.

Thanks for the info.

Old 10-06-2012, 16:27   #4
JC Refuge
GT Sponsor

The alternative, if you have something less than the required amount of water preserver in your barrels, would be to plan to boil and/or treat your water before using it (with something like MP1 tabs).

Refuge blog

Old 10-07-2012, 19:24   #5
Trigger Finger

One LAST question. Is there anything to worry about if you use a little too much water purification for the amount of water?
I plan on purchasing an additional 330 gallon container for water storage on my ranch.
I would like to be as exact as I can get, and I know you should not add too little, but what if I add a little too much treatment for long term storage. This is for drinking and cooking purposes. Over several years of storage would a little too much water preserver be, in any way, harmful? One of the persons drinking this water will be about 5 years old!

Once again, thank you for your time and you can P/M me if you would rather do it that way.

Sorry to keep asking these questions and I appreciate being able to speak to an expert.

Trigger Finger.

Last edited by Trigger Finger; 10-07-2012 at 19:27..
Old 10-07-2012, 20:00   #6
JC Refuge
GT Sponsor

I would not be worried about hard and fast ratios. Yes, I would do my best to estimate proper ratios, water to preserver. But this is a consumer-safe product intended to make your water potable.

Water that is not pure can potentially make you ill if you drink it before purification. My suggestion is to use multiple methods of purification whenever possible if there is ever any doubt about the condition of the water.

Storing pure, preserved water is a great move for anyone. We never know when something might happen that would contaminate our normal water supply.

If you've done it properly--stored good preserved water in approved sealed water containers, you're a step ahead of the game.

Still, if you want to be sure about that water, especially if it's been stored for a number of years, boiling it or any other water you have to consume is going to be the most prudent move to assure you and your family are safe. Using multiple levels of water purification is not a difficult thing to do.

Refuge blog

Old 10-07-2012, 22:36   #7
Trigger Finger

Thank You again.