GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:44   #41
onebigelf

The analysts were talking about the report before it came out, predicting the same job numbers, but predicting an INCREASE to 8.2%. Instead it falls 0.3%? Even MSNBC's Morning Joe said the numbers don't add up.

If I had to guess? I'd say Obama added in everyone's temporary campaign workers.

"We know... that these people are there... and their working hard, too... and it's not fair... not to count their efforts as working... even if they may or may not be getting paid. So...vote for ME!"

John
onebigelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:50   #42
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Who could have saw this coming.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1445315
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:55   #43
IvanVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregoryb View Post
One question Ivan, are you voting for Obama?
Hell f'in no. Have you been reading my posts?

Is this the alternative universe that we live in now, where understanding basic concepts has been politicized?

When you deem everything to be a conspiracy, then there's no reality. What's the point in ever citing unemployment numbers when you have concluded that it's all a massive conspiracy? You've basically lost the ability to show how bad unemployment has been, and still is (7.8 is NOT good) under Obama because you have now deemed the numbers to be completely fabricated.

Of course, I don't believe that to be happening here. What I see happening here is a denial of the numbers when they improve, and treating them like gospel when they get worse.

In order for this type of mentality to have a breeding ground, you basically have to have a limited capacity to understand the economy to the point that you think any given president's philosophy and the unemployment rate are inherently dependent upon one another. That is a false assumption, as there are thousands of working pieces in the economy, and simplifying it in such a way that has no real goal other than dumbing down a complex issue is a disservice to the idea that unemployment numbers can, in many circumstances, actually reflect the policies of any given administration.

Last edited by IvanVic; 10-06-2012 at 07:00..
IvanVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:01   #44
marchboom

Believe anything that comes from this corrupt obama crime syndicate? You got to be kidding. I'm just surprised obama didn't ORDER the numbers to be much lower.
The obama administration and the democrat party...the ultimate in domestic corruption and dedicated to the destruction of the United States.
marchboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:11   #45
rgregoryb
Sapere aude

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanVic View Post
Hell f'in no. Have you been reading my posts?
I was trying to figure out how someone with an IQ above room temp. could rationalize how the addition of 114,000 jobs could drop the rate .3 %.

I did graduate from UGA where math was secondary, but c'mon my grandchildren could figure this out.

"demography is destiny"
rgregoryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:19   #46
IvanVic

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

That's a link to monthly unemployment figures since 2002. Let's focus on Obama's numbers. We all know that Obama promised unemployment would not go over 8% if the stimulus was passed, so apparently it's been a conspiracy designed to hurt the President nearly his entire administration. However, let's take a closer look at the chart:

Unemployment got worse from January through October of 2009. So at this point, it was a conspiracy to hurt Obama.

In Nov 2009, it improved by .1, going from 10% to 9.9% and falling as low as 9.7 in January of 2010, a conspiracy to help Obama.

But in february of 2010, it went back up to 9.8%, a conspiracy to hurt Obama.

But wait, it went up again to 9.9% in april of 2010, another conspiracy to hurt Obama.

However, in May of 2010, it dropped to 9.6%, a conspiracy to help Obama.

But it August, it went up again, a conspiracy to hurt Obama.

Then it went back down to 9.5, a conspiracy to help Obama.

But it went back up again from 9.5 to 9.8 in November of 2010, a conspiracy to hurt Obama.

And so on and so forth.

Either we have a panel of wishy-washy, schizophrenic people controlling the unemployment rate, or conspiracy theorists are just stupid. I wonder which it is?

Last edited by IvanVic; 10-06-2012 at 07:20..
IvanVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:50   #47
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
So the unemployment rate has been a conspiracy for decades?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Since the Clinton administration, yes.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:51   #48
JFrame

Quote:
Lou Dobbs was laughing at this earlier on Fox. Still an iconic executive, Welch is getting old.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Welch was held in extremely high esteem by those who knew him at G.E. -- unlike the current occupant of that post, Jeffrey Immelt.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:55   #49
MLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfede View Post
The UE rate is still mostly a BS stat since it doesn't account for those who have given up on looking for a job.
In today's newspaper it says

"Those who do not have jobs and are looking are counted as unemployed. Those who aren't looking are not considered part of the work force and aren't counted as unemployed."

The first makes sense.
The second part, I dunno.
MLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:56   #50
Rabid Rabbit

The day after the election the "revised" numbers will be released and the reate will be "unexpectedly" 8.3%

Last edited by Rabid Rabbit; 10-06-2012 at 07:56..
Rabid Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:57   #51
JFrame

Talking about the U6 unemployment rate (the "real unemployment rate") of 14.7 percent on FNC right now...

Also talking about how a high percentage of jobs gained are government jobs, which don't create revenue but drain more tax dollars...

--
Old 10-06-2012, 07:58   #52
Rabid Rabbit

Or maybe obama supporters are taking heed to Leno's advice and simply stop looking for work to do their part to decrease the unemployment rate.
Rabid Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:00   #53
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Rabbit View Post
The day after the election the "revised" numbers will be released and the reate will be "unexpectedly" 8.3%
If Romney wins the number will be 14.7.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:03   #54
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Rabbit View Post
Or maybe obama supporters are taking heed to Leno's advice and simply stop looking for work to do their part to decrease the unemployment rate.
Or also Dennis Miller's suggestion that, as the pace of Obama's entitlement handouts continue, more and more people will just come to the conclusion, "Why should I hustle and bust my butt while everyone else is getting a free ride? I'm just going to get mine too."

--
Old 10-06-2012, 08:03   #55
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
If Romney wins the number will be 14.7.

Yup...!

--
Old 10-06-2012, 08:29   #56
ModGlock17

To get a sense of employment rate, look in the mirror, look at your neighbors and where their adult children live, look at people at church.

To get a sense of whether you're better off than yrs ago, look at your 401k, look at your property value, look at your bank account, and look at your credit scores.

Those are the grassroots methods, other than asking the cats how the mice are doing.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:43   #57
Brucev

Re: OP. This close to the Nov. election... simply not possible to believe any numbers put out by anyone. It would be exactly the same if the incumbent was republican.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:59   #58
MZBKA

If one understands what the BLS' data tell us, then he understands the the economy is improving at the slowest rate of any modern post-recession recovery. Very little in the latest BLS data should be a plus for Obama.

However, if one does not understand what the BLS data tell us, then he ignorantly believes that either
1. These data guarantee an Obama reelection, or
2. Obama personally oversees, checks, and alters the BLS's unemployment survey.

Ignorance begets conspiracy theories; this thread is a perfect example of that.
MZBKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:40   #59
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZBKA View Post

Nahh.

It just tells me people don't trust BHO. Simple.

And you're taking offense to that. Simple.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:33   #60
pipedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZBKA View Post

However, if one does not understand what the BLS data tell us, then he ignorantly believes that either
1. These data guarantee an Obama reelection, or
2. Obama personally oversees, checks, and alters the BLS's unemployment survey.

I don't think anyone believes point one or two but it does show the public does not trust the government to provide accurate information. The poll does demonstrate that 57% (77669)of the (133802) people taking the poll don't trust the numbers.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
pipedreams is offline   Reply With Quote