Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-06-2012, 15:49   #1
d123gaw

trigger job gone bad

OK. Don't b**** at me I knew I might screw up when I did it. I polished my trigger bar a little too much and now my gun goes bang when i pull the trigger and bang when I RELEASE the trigger. (a good double tap). But it did scare me a bit at first. I'm going to order a new trigger bar with a smooth trigger and start again.
d123gaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 16:56   #2
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Yup, ya round off the edges of these two just a little and that's what happens. A new trigger bar may fix it, but a new firing pin is a good idea too.
General Glocking
General Glocking

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 17:41   #3
Remington 870

all you needed is fltz polish and a rag or q tip. polish till the parts are shiny and re-assemble. I polish all the parts that have metal to metal contact. this improves the feel of the trigger a ton! hope this helps. ps you dont need any power tools at all.
Remington 870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 17:52   #4
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

And the dremel tool strikes again..................
Old 10-06-2012, 18:05   #5
d123gaw

seanmac45 where did that Hemmingway quote come from?
I've seen it before but never knew it's origin.
Old 10-06-2012, 18:05   #6
1-2man
Part Time

I polish my internals at the range. 1,000 or so rounds seem to do the trick.
1-2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 18:22   #7
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d123gaw View Post
seanmac45 where did that Hemmingway quote come from?
I've seen it before but never knew it's origin.

The source of the quote;

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
US author & journalist (1899 - 1961)

I use it because it was the motto of the NYPD Citywide Anti-Crime team prior to it being disbanded.

It sums up my feelings about retirement perfectly.
Old 10-06-2012, 18:42   #8
dakrat

this will give you the edge in competition shooting. you will give Bob Vogel a run for his money.
Old 10-06-2012, 18:56   #9
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac45 View Post
Dremel,The gun smiths best friend and money maker. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 19:29   #10
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with using a Dremel Tool to do an action polish job with. (Every gunsmith I've ever known - and I've known a few - used both fine India stones, and a Dremel-like power tool for his trigger jobs.) In fact I consider using Flitz and a Q-Tip to be a complete waste of time for any, 'quality' Glock trigger job.

The real mistake the OP made is that he didn't stay away from the edges! NEVER TOUCH AN EDGE WITH A DREMEL TOOL. Too bad because while a ruined trigger bar ain't no big deal, Glock firing pins are really expensive!

Next time, work barehanded so you can gauge heat buildup in the piece. Don't, 'touchdown' for more than 5 or 6 seconds at a time; and STAY AWAY FROM THE COMPONENT EDGES.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 19:56   #11
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with using a Dremel Tool to do an action polish job with. (Every gunsmith I've ever known - and I've known a few - used both fine India stones, and a Dremel-like power tool for his trigger jobs.) In fact I consider using Flitz and a Q-Tip to be a complete waste of time for any, 'quality' Glock trigger job.

The real mistake the OP made is that he didn't stay away from the edges! NEVER TOUCH AN EDGE WITH A DREMEL TOOL. Too bad because while a ruined trigger bar ain't no big deal, Glock firing pins are really expensive!

Next time, work barehanded so you can gauge heat buildup in the piece. Don't, 'touchdown' for more than 5 or 6 seconds at a time; and STAY AWAY FROM THE COMPONENT EDGES.
Like you said the key is where and how much.
I know a Ret. N. G. armor that does 1911 trigger jobs with out a jig,nice and crisp every time,where and how much is the key. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 22:32   #12
M 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by d123gaw View Post
OK. Don't b**** at me I knew I might screw up when I did it. I polished my trigger bar a little too much and now my gun goes bang when i pull the trigger and bang when I RELEASE the trigger. (a good double tap). But it did scare me a bit at first. I'm going to order a new trigger bar with a smooth trigger and start again.
At least the new parts aren't very expensive and can be had readily.
Old 10-06-2012, 22:33   #13
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat View Post
this will give you the edge in competition shooting. you will give Bob Vogel a run for his money.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:15   #14
jb1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post

Black Rifle Club Member "LE6920Colt"
jb1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:29   #15
lethal tupperwa

Arc,

You give do it yourselfers that ( don't have a clue)

benifit of the doubt (that they have the experience and attention to detail that you do)

just don't let them fix anything for you.

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:08   #16
ca survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac45 View Post
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:14   #17
Mochahooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-2man View Post
I polish my internals at the range. 1,000 or so rounds seem to do the trick.
This is the ONLY way I polish the internals too! Funny I thought I was the only one that did this????
Old 10-07-2012, 12:03   #18
Noponer

As Arc Angel says, be careful with the component edges.... or, at least, be very careful to not round them.

If the edges of the trigger bar and/or the connector (where they meet) are rounded too much, the bar will drop downward at the time of trigger reset (instead of the bar moving only sideways as designed). This can cause the "sear" of the bar to move down away from the "nose" (or "lug") of the firing pin, releasing it. BANG!

If you have plenty of sear/nose engagement (2/3 or more recommended by Glock & as Butch's sketch in post #2 above shows), the chances of this are reduced - but if the overlap is not large, firing on release of the trigger can happen. Many of the Glocks I have owned have only had about 1/2 engagement... from the factory.

Last edited by Noponer; 10-07-2012 at 21:27..
Noponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 16:33   #19
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal tupperwa View Post
Arc,

You give do it yourselfers that ( don't have a clue) benifit of the doubt (that they have the experience and attention to detail that you do)

just don't let them fix anything for you.
Lethal, I can't argue with that; but, let's be perfectly honest: Half the fun of owning a Glock is, .......
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 23:42   #20
d123gaw

New trigger bar and new G.R. 3.5lb connector and the gun fires better than before. I really like the smooth face trigger.