Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:30   #81
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpuscg04 View Post
Cochese,

Have you seen this? Costa sold out in about 5 min, but the next run is sopposed to be out soon. It should also come in black.

http://www.costaludusgear.com/index....&product_id=82

Full disclosure: being a Coastie, I am required to endorse anything Costa makes/does .
That is pretty cool.

They need an all black option though.

I guess I should update this thread. I went extremely simple. I have a Bianchi Accumold belt. With the clicky buckle in the middle.

When it is clicked, there is a void there right in the middle with no equipment. I grabbed two more new PMAGS and connected them with a maglink. The two mags slip right between the buckle on my duty belt perfectly. It sounds stupid, but it actually works.

I have my rifle/SG case in my trunk along with my patrol bag. I like to keep my passenger seat open for tactical/safety reasons. I've got it down to a science. Grab my AR, which has a 30 round mag in it. I have a 20 rounder on my belt no matter what, so there is 50 rounds of 5.56...

Then, on my patrol bag is a spot with the two PMAGs. I can easily grab them and put them on my duty belt in between the buckle. It looks like it belongs there! Pretty sturdy. I timed it with another officer who has the drop leg going on and beat him by about 12 seconds in readiness.

A third officer was quicker but he has a 5.11 man purse as linked above. He just throws it on over his sling. I produced some issues for him. He had a hard time transitioning from right to left handed shooting because his sling gets wrapped up with the man purse strap. It looks like it will cause problems going over a fence too, which is hard enough with an AR (we train for it).

I'll take some pics when I get back to work but its pretty slick.
Old 10-06-2012, 17:23   #82
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Spare mags...

Cop Talk

Empty buckle area..

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Spare 20 always on.

Cop Talk
Old 10-06-2012, 17:30   #83
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI-Drop-Leg-...-p/hsg.307.htm

I carry three pistol mags and a 20 round pmag on my belt.

In light of the **** shows I've been sent to lately, I want to have more available. Something I can throw on in a hurry. Plate carriers for patrol are not an option.

Anyone use one of these guys?
When I carried an M4 I would carry four extra pistol magazines and shove two extra magazines in my back pockets. Pmags didn't exist them. They were colt magazines, personally owned. I still have them.
Old 10-06-2012, 18:31   #84
kpuscg04
ACTA NON VERBA

Quote:
Spare mags...

Spare 20 always on.

Cop Talk
I like that spare 20. I think I'm might steal that.
kpuscg04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 19:18   #85
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
When I carried an M4 I would carry four extra pistol magazines and shove two extra magazines in my back pockets. Pmags didn't exist them. They were colt magazines, personally owned. I still have them.

My back pockets are occupied with gloves and my whipoutpad/keycard holder.
Old 10-06-2012, 19:19   #86
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
I like that spare 20. I think I'm might steal that.
Deployment Solutions!

http://www.deploymentsolutions.us/

Last edited by Cochese; 10-07-2012 at 12:36..
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:01   #87
Cav

How many rounds do you plan to use?

In Iraq having 12 magazines was good as you could be fighting for hours and have little to no back up with guys using machine guns.

Here a few magazines should serve one well if the plan to aim and account for their rounds.

I dont see officer taking AR/M4's to most calls, so they dont need the extra magazines and ammo weight/space taken up. A few guys at work carry a single 20 round mag.

Why not have something like the Ready Mag http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=9 that would give you two magazines every time you grab the rifle. That would give you 60 rounds, more than most carry for pistol ammo. Then if needed get an extra magazine mounted to the outside butstock so you can have 90 rounds, that will be with the rifle. If need be on a active shooter call you could toss some extra rifle mags in the side cargo pockets giving you 150 to 210 rounds. 210 rounds in an Infantry soldiers combat load to fight in battle with. Thats facing a few enemy that are well armed and shooting back.

Me, I have two rifle mags with the rifle, extra on a raid vest. If stuff goes bad I am taking more equipment from the wounded and dead.

Are the streets getting that bad or are officers looking to get in trouble using up what they have? Its like when the semi-auto pistol came to be issued, officer shootings went from 3-4 well placed shots to 9-12 shots, and now its reloads, soon it will be suppresive fire with Machine Gun teams covering.
Old 10-06-2012, 20:36   #88
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Spare mags...

Cop Talk

Empty buckle area..

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Spare 20 always on.

Cop Talk
Have you looked at the drop leg ar mag pouches? Mine sits next to me in the car. One snap and I have 4 30 rd mags.

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
Old 10-06-2012, 22:16   #89
jbglock

I really need to build a bail out bag. My bail out procedure is to stuff extra mags in a jacket pocket (I keep a weather appropriate jackets for any time of the year in my patrol car) along with water. I always carry two flashlights with a spare battery for the main one on me. Basic first aid, tylenol, and extra mags for my handgun would also be nice.

To those wondering why a police officer might carry so much spare ammo just read through this thread. I'm in a small town but we have bank robberies, shootings, ect. year round. I spent close to 5 hours in the woods one night watching a trail for an escaped mental that had already assaulted others. We have multiple schools in my jurisdiction and active shooter is always on my mind. I'd rather have it and never need it then not have it that one time in my career I might.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 00:55   #90
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
Have you looked at the drop leg ar mag pouches? Mine sits next to me in the car. One snap and I have 4 30 rd mags.

Indeed I have

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 10-07-2012, 01:45   #91
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
How many rounds do you plan to use?
Depends. The only shootings I've been involved in were pistols.

This was three years ago now and resulted in us getting PIT approved. Two cops were hit but recovered completely. Two baddies (Bonnie & Clyde were DRT)

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Quote:
Here a few magazines should serve one well if the plan to aim and account for their rounds.
I'm now carrying 110 rounds on a major call. I don't think that is overkill. 30x2 a 30 in the gun and a 20 on my belt.

Quote:
I dont see officer taking AR/M4's to most calls, so they dont need the extra magazines and ammo weight/space taken up. A few guys at work carry a single 20 round mag.
I work in the Denver metro area and deploy my rifle usually a minimum of once per work week. I've had days where I went from call, to call, to call, with a rifle slung, never turning my overheads off... then days where I handle barking dogs and shoplifts at the mall. It depends.

Quote:

Why not have something like the Ready Mag http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=9 that would give you two magazines every time you grab the rifle. That would give you 60 rounds, more than most carry for pistol ammo. Then if needed get an extra magazine mounted to the outside butstock so you can have 90 rounds, that will be with the rifle. If need be on a active shooter call you could toss some extra rifle mags in the side cargo pockets giving you 150 to 210 rounds. 210 rounds in an Infantry soldiers combat load to fight in battle with. Thats facing a few enemy that are well armed and shooting back.
Read through the thread.

I just picked up this guy:

Cop Talk

Quote:
Me, I have two rifle mags with the rifle, extra on a raid vest. If stuff goes bad I am taking more equipment from the wounded and dead.
I'm not on our SWAT team (I'm on our mobile field force instead) so I don't have the luxury of a "raid vest" and patrol isn't "allowed" to use them for some unexplained reason.

I hear a lot of folks talk about taking mags off dead and wounded. I don't see this happening in a realistic LE shooting.

I also have folks carrying multiple weapon systems and calibers. The only thing interchangeable are our rifle mags since we all have to carry AR-15s in .223/5.56...

Quote:
Are the streets getting that bad or are officers looking to get in trouble using up what they have? Its like when the semi-auto pistol came to be issued, officer shootings went from 3-4 well placed shots to 9-12 shots, and now its reloads, soon it will be suppresive fire with Machine Gun teams covering.
I'm not sure how to take this rather disingenuous comment.

I don't look for trouble. I wasn't around for revolver to semi-auto transitions and I'm not a Cavalry Scout badass.

What I can tell you is I'm in an area made famous for spree killers and mass shootings. I have the biggest mall/shopping center in the region in my AOR. We are a hop/skip/jump from Columbine High School. I spent five+ hours with a front row seat at the Aurora theater shooting, and we have two school districts with three high schools.

I'm no crack shot badass, but I try and keep my skills up. I'm competing in our agency Top Gun shoot this year since I went through every single qual course without missing a round, shoot competitively on my days off when I have time/$$, and train like I fight.

If you have experience as a patrol officer, then you should know exactly how bad the streets are right now.

A good friend of mine stopped this not too long ago. Three gangbanging pieces of ****.

You tell me dude.

Cop Talk
Old 10-07-2012, 07:43   #92
kpuscg04
ACTA NON VERBA

You've got me thinking man. Being an inverstigator I really don't need to carry the rifle mag for my edc, but I do use my rifle for warrants and other high risk ops.

I've been running with only one spare mag in a fastmag pouch on my vest. I certainly have room for more. I really like the coupled mags centerline. That is real easy to deploy with the rifle.
kpuscg04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:29   #93
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Probably should have read the post a few above where you talked about timing yourself with the other guy... My bad, just trying to help

Old 10-07-2012, 12:31   #94
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
You've got me thinking man. Being an inverstigator I really don't need to carry the rifle mag for my edc, but I do use my rifle for warrants and other high risk ops.

I've been running with only one spare mag in a fastmag pouch on my vest. I certainly have room for more. I really like the coupled mags centerline. That is real easy to deploy with the rifle.
I misspoke!

MY AR mag pouch is made by Deployment Solutions.

http://www.deploymentsolutions.us/

Bryon is his name. He is a member here (DeploymentSolu)

I confused my AR mag pouch with my old radio pouch which was made by COMHolsters.

The single mag holder has a Tek-Lok backing on it so you can throw it on/off for warrant services.

The more I run the coupled mags center line, the more I like it! The Magpul Mag-Link requires new PMags though. I had to buy two new Gen 3 mags for it to work. Wouldn't work on my 2007 vintage PMags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
Probably should have read the post a few above where you talked about timing yourself with the other guy... My bad, just trying to help

It's all good bro. The more opinions, and info, the better we are.
Old 10-07-2012, 15:42   #95
Cav

Quote:
Depends. The only shootings I've been involved in were pistols.

This was three years ago now and resulted in us getting PIT approved. Two cops were hit but recovered completely. Two baddies (Bonnie & Clyde were DRT)

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

I'm now carrying 110 rounds on a major call. I don't think that is overkill. 30x2 a 30 in the gun and a 20 on my belt.

I work in the Denver metro area and deploy my rifle usually a minimum of once per work week. I've had days where I went from call, to call, to call, with a rifle slung, never turning my overheads off... then days where I handle barking dogs and shoplifts at the mall. It depends.

Read through the thread.

I just picked up this guy:

Cop Talk

I'm not on our SWAT team (I'm on our mobile field force instead) so I don't have the luxury of a "raid vest" and patrol isn't "allowed" to use them for some unexplained reason.

I hear a lot of folks talk about taking mags off dead and wounded. I don't see this happening in a realistic LE shooting.

I also have folks carrying multiple weapon systems and calibers. The only thing interchangeable are our rifle mags since we all have to carry AR-15s in .223/5.56...

I'm not sure how to take this rather disingenuous comment.

I don't look for trouble. I wasn't around for revolver to semi-auto transitions and I'm not a Cavalry Scout badass.

What I can tell you is I'm in an area made famous for spree killers and mass shootings. I have the biggest mall/shopping center in the region in my AOR. We are a hop/skip/jump from Columbine High School. I spent five+ hours with a front row seat at the Aurora theater shooting, and we have two school districts with three high schools.

I'm no crack shot badass, but I try and keep my skills up. I'm competing in our agency Top Gun shoot this year since I went through every single qual course without missing a round, shoot competitively on my days off when I have time/$$, and train like I fight.

If you have experience as a patrol officer, then you should know exactly how bad the streets are right now.

A good friend of mine stopped this not too long ago. Three gangbanging pieces of ****.

You tell me dude.

Cop Talk

In a some what joking fashion, our streets in America are starting to look like some places overseas, and as Police we are moving to the Military equiped side based on current threats/actions.

My PD has had its share of close calls dealing with crazy soldiers and the Fort Hood shooting. Lubys was a local thing as was the Fort Hood shooting. We budgeted for helmets and plate carriers, but had a few night time incidents to where flashlights mounted to rifles and night vision devices were more important.

After a shooting a Texas Ranger took in weapons and ammo from us. I joked and asked if he wanted my extra mags I kept in my car, go bag, and vest. He mentioned he did not need them, but in set cases would need them and to account for every round shot. He was more in support of less ammo better shots, and yes he had a point with that shooting that involved 3 officers and one dead guy.

I think what you pack is what you pack and everyone has different needs for their area/situations, but that America is not safe or friendly as it used to be.

As far as the magazine set up you got, I would say look to the Ready Mag over it. 20+ years ago we would put a round between two 30 round magazines, near the bottom. We would tape the magazines in a "V" and have a quick change magazine. Later we got metal forms, then straps, then neat clamps. The weight of two loaded magazines will cause issues for the magazine and even the magazine catch, that will lead to feed problems, etc... (if one mag shifts your ejection port might get blocked as well). The Ready Mag does cost a bit more, but will save you magazines from wear, being dropped, etc... I spent 22+ years running with different set ups and two mags joined was neat for the first few weeks.

However if you like that set up, let me know as I should have a few straps/clamps type setups from the Mag Cinch to the Thor CQB kits around my house.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:22   #96
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
I think what you pack is what you pack and everyone has different needs for their area/situations, but that America is not safe or friendly as it used to be.
This is what it all boils down to, IMO.

Quote:
As far as the magazine set up you got, I would say look to the Ready Mag over it.
I'm familiar with it. We have patrol rifles here that have it. I'm not a fan for several reasons but I appreciate the idea.
Old 10-10-2012, 19:59   #97
ArsonCop
Who Knows.....

Quote:
This is what it all boils down to, IMO.
I am with Cochese on this....him and I know each other and I believe we pretty much think alike in regards to having equipment. My philosophy is the old saying of "better to have it and not need it, than to need and not have it".

I am a Lt in our department and I carry more crap than my officers do between my belt, duty bag and trauma plate pocket of my vest but then also, I patrol full time and run calls, even getting in two foot chases in the past three months, one as the primary officer and the other as secondary.

How many primary/secondary weapon magazines are enough?? That is up to each individual officer and/or patrol area. Personally between my duty bag and belt, I am carrying six 15 round Glock .40 mags and 80 rounds (two 30's and one 20 round) of .223 besides the 60 with the department's patrol rifle.

I want to feel that if I were to get into a +*&^ storm which as we all know can happen anywhere and anytime, I am well prepared for it and not a sitting duck with an empty weapon.

Stay safe all...