Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2012, 13:08   #1
JuneyBooney

ATT Smart Phone cost? Boost/Sprint?

Ok fellas, I have had ATT for many years. I had a govt phone..Nextel for years but I was going over on usage so I bought a Boost phone for the 50 a month. Then it went down to 35 a month and now they are telling me that the cost will go up ten a month in November. Most of us know that the Iden freq is going to leo next year so that is a known. But they tell me that I can go to the CDMA and not pay the extra ten. Is the Blackberry any good? Or is the Galaxy with Ice Cream better?

What does ATT Iphone service cost on one line? I don't particularly like "candy bar" phones but I guess nobody makes flip smart phones. Have you ever cussed someone out thinking you hung up and didn't? I am trying to figure out what to do with my Boost/Sprint line. Thanks
JuneyBooney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 13:14   #2
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Or is the Galaxy with Ice Cream better?
Which Galaxy are you referring to?

Galaxy S 3 or Galaxy Nexus?

I recently switched from Blackberry to the Galaxy Nexus and could not be happier. And right now you can get a great deal on it at 99.00 I much prefer the pure android without the carrier crap and manufacturer overlays. ( touch wiz, sense ui etc.)

And they just rolled out the Jelly bean update for the Nexus mid September and is is Sweet, super smooth.

Also right now if you buy the Galaxy Nexus and then call Sprint you can get the extended battery and battery cover door for just the cost of shipping.

If you want the GS3 rumor has it Sprint will be selling them for 99.00 on black friday.
Old 10-07-2012, 13:19   #3
boomhower

If you have the option to switch to an Nexus with ICS, move to CDMA, and keep the $35 price tag then that is what you do. You coverage will be better, your data speeds will be better, and the phone far superior in all aspects but one.(security)

The absolute cheapest smartphone plan with AT&T is $60/month. But that is only going to give you 200MB of data and no texts. Move to 3GB's of data and unlimited texts is going to add $30/month.

If you are generally happy with your coverage but want to move to post paid then look at Sprint. $80/month 450 peak minutes and unlimited everything else. If your lucky and live in a Sprint LTE area it's a no brainer if you want post paid to go with them.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 13:20   #4
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
Which Galaxy are you referring to?

Galaxy S 3 or Galaxy Nexus?

I recently switched from Blackberry to the Galaxy Nexus and could not be happier. And right now you can get a great deal on it at 99.00 I much prefer the pure android without the carrier crap and manufacturer overlays. ( touch wiz, sense ui etc.)

And they just rolled out the Jelly bean update for the Nexus mid September and is is Sweet, super smooth.

Also right now if you buy the Galaxy Nexus and then call Sprint you can get the extended battery and battery cover door for just the cost of shipping.

If you want the GS3 rumor has it Sprint will be selling them for 99.00 on black friday.
Thanks, I appreciate being sent in the right direction. I was thinking about the Blackberry but then the guys I know were telling me the Galaxy was the way to go. I will look around for those deals. They sound very good to me.
Old 10-07-2012, 13:23   #5
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
Thanks, I appreciate being sent in the right direction. I was thinking about the Blackberry but then the guys I know were telling me the Galaxy was the way to go. I will look around for those deals. They sound very good to me.
Wal mart is currently selling the Sprint galaxy Nexus (32GB) for 99.00

Sprint also sells it for 99.00 but that is AFTER the 50.00 mail in rebate.

I think they are selling the 16GB GS3 for 148.00

Last edited by Dragoon44; 10-07-2012 at 13:24..
Dragoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:10   #6
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
If you have the option to switch to an Nexus with ICS, move to CDMA, and keep the $35 price tag then that is what you do. You coverage will be better, your data speeds will be better, and the phone far superior in all aspects but one.(security)

The absolute cheapest smartphone plan with AT&T is $60/month. But that is only going to give you 200MB of data and no texts. Move to 3GB's of data and unlimited texts is going to add $30/month.

If you are generally happy with your coverage but want to move to post paid then look at Sprint. $80/month 450 peak minutes and unlimited everything else. If your lucky and live in a Sprint LTE area it's a no brainer if you want post paid to go with them.
I still use my phone a lot to talk on. I am not a text fanatic. But I know changing to cdma is the way to go and the att prices get high with the data. I already have an ATT account and that is an old plan but I think the cdma plans are probably more reasonable. My plan on Boost would be 40 a month unlimited. So now I guess I will go shopping this evening and see if something new comes home.
Old 10-07-2012, 14:35   #7
boomhower

Quote:
I still use my phone a lot to talk on. I am not a text fanatic. But I know changing to cdma is the way to go and the att prices get high with the data. I already have an ATT account and that is an old plan but I think the cdma plans are probably more reasonable. My plan on Boost would be 40 a month unlimited. So now I guess I will go shopping this evening and see if something new comes home.
If your happy with the coverage there's no way I would switch.

I'd get the Galaxy S II and call it a day. It's certainly not the best phone on the market but with the price your paying for unlimited I'd get by with it. It's definitely a very usable phone. Sprint coverage in my area sucks or I'd go that route myself.
Old 10-07-2012, 14:56   #8
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

The Galaxy S2 is a nice phone, my Wife has one. She got it on sale for 49.00 but now it is the same price as the Galaxy Nexus 99.00
Old 10-07-2012, 15:26   #9
JuneyBooney

Quote:
The Galaxy S2 is a nice phone, my Wife has one. She got it on sale for 49.00 but now it is the same price as the Galaxy Nexus 99.00
I will have to go try them and see which one I like better. In some areas around here the cdma is much better than the iden and those phones look very appealing. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2012, 16:09   #10
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
I will have to go try them and see which one I like better. In some areas around here the cdma is much better than the iden and those phones look very appealing. Thanks.
I had Sprint IDEN for several years CDMA is way better. clear calls and they don't get dropped. and far better coverage than the IDEN.
Old 10-07-2012, 16:14   #11
tous
GET A ROPE!

Quote:
Aren't you too old to have a smart phone?
Surely there's an age limit where they only allow you the one with the giant keys and huge letters on the display.

<--- not smart enough for a smart phone

2.9979E10 cm/sec -- it's not just a good idea; it's the law
tous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 16:15   #12
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Even the dumb phones are smarter than me!

But one of the reasons I went with the Galaxy nexus is the 4.65 inch screen my eyes ain't what they used to be.

Last edited by Dragoon44; 10-07-2012 at 16:17..
Dragoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 16:45   #13
boomhower

The OP can't get the Galaxy Nexus. It's not available on Boost. The best he can get is the previously mentioned SII. Not a GN but not a bad phone either.
Old 10-07-2012, 17:13   #14
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

If he is staying with Boost then yeah, go with the GSII.
Old 10-07-2012, 21:15   #15
JuneyBooney

Quote:
If he is staying with Boost then yeah, go with the GSII.
the only reason I like Boost is the unlimited talk. I used to go over by about 700 minutes each month on Sprint. But I may ask them and see what they now offer. I was with Sprint for 8 years before switching to Boost about two years ago. I will check out the GSII
Old 10-07-2012, 21:44   #16
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
The OP can't get the Galaxy Nexus. It's not available on Boost. The best he can get is the previously mentioned SII. Not a GN but not a bad phone either.
I had the SII, and it was a great phone. But it pales in comparison to my current S3. Boost and other similar carriers generally offer low-end or outdated smartphones for a similar price to much better smartphones on the regular contract carriers. But if boost is offering the S2, it is a very good device.

I do things differently: I am currently with Sprint on a 2 year contract smartphone plan with 4G LTE included. I had my S2 for almost a year and figured that if I wait a year to replace it, I would get a $150 discount off a new device. The S3 is currently $550, and whatever takes its place a year from now will cost the same. So I pay tax on $550, plus shipping (maybe), plus activation. And I get $150 off from the total non-discounted price plus tax on the non-discounted price. Then I throw in the activation fee, and I end up with maybe a $50 discount. And I have to sign a new contract. This time I did it differently. I went on Ebay and bought a brand new sealed Sprint Galaxy S3 for a bit under $500 shipped. Activated it from my Sprint account page for free. Put my S2 on Ebay for $225 and it sold in 3 hours. I will do the same thing next year if I feel like it, and this way I never have to sign another contract and I always have the latest and greatest device. Btw, Sprint offered me a trade-in price for my S2 of $89.
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 00:22   #17
JuneyBooney

I would have to agree about no contract phones normally being low end but I was on Sprint and got tired of paying for overages on the minutes so I switched to Boost. Should people pay more just for name? NOOO. But I have been carrying the I880 on Nextel/Boost for years. I don't text hardly at all and the phone has sounded very good. Now finding a good sounding phone will be the problem. Al the apps really don't mean much to m but they look entertaining.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:07   #18
sputnik767

Quote:
I would have to agree about no contract phones normally being low end but I was on Sprint and got tired of paying for overages on the minutes so I switched to Boost. Should people pay more just for name? NOOO. But I have been carrying the I880 on Nextel/Boost for years. I don't text hardly at all and the phone has sounded very good. Now finding a good sounding phone will be the problem. Al the apps really don't mean much to m but they look entertaining.
I guess it depends on what plan you have with Sprint. With their smartphone plan, I get 500 anytime minutes, unlimited nights from 7 pm and weekends, and unlimited calls to any mobile number, as well as unlimited data, texts, and picture mail. So I have never paid an overage since most of my calls are to mobile numbers. I have used over 1500 mobile to mobile minutes, mostly calls to other carriers last month, 300+ night and weekends, and maybe 50 anytime minutes. Plus around 2500 texts, over 100 mms, and almost 2 GB of data. The plan costs me a total of $81 per month. And if you are wondering, a smartphone is a necessity for me as a med student on rotations in the hospital. Texting is our primary means of communication with residents, interns, and other students on my team, and the various medical apps are absolute must-haves. Plus I use my phone to access patient medical records, lab results, and other data. It is also my only phone, as I don't have and never will have a landline. I have actually never had a landline phone since I moved out of my parents' house.

But if you told me that most people do not need the kind of plan and usage that I require, I would agree with you. I also need a phone to last me at least 24 hours on a single charge with moderate use, and my Galaxy S3 has already passed the test. I am not sure if the iPhone would actually qualify. One of the students on my rotation has the iPhone 5 and claims that her phone does not even last close to the typical 12 hour day, and she says that she hardly uses it beyond the necessities. I suggested that she have it replaced because that does not sound right to me.

Last edited by sputnik767; 10-08-2012 at 01:12..
Old 10-08-2012, 20:29   #19
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
I guess it depends on what plan you have with Sprint. With their smartphone plan, I get 500 anytime minutes, unlimited nights from 7 pm and weekends, and unlimited calls to any mobile number, as well as unlimited data, texts, and picture mail. So I have never paid an overage since most of my calls are to mobile numbers. I have used over 1500 mobile to mobile minutes, mostly calls to other carriers last month, 300+ night and weekends, and maybe 50 anytime minutes. Plus around 2500 texts, over 100 mms, and almost 2 GB of data. The plan costs me a total of $81 per month. And if you are wondering, a smartphone is a necessity for me as a med student on rotations in the hospital. Texting is our primary means of communication with residents, interns, and other students on my team, and the various medical apps are absolute must-haves. Plus I use my phone to access patient medical records, lab results, and other data. It is also my only phone, as I don't have and never will have a landline. I have actually never had a landline phone since I moved out of my parents' house.

But if you told me that most people do not need the kind of plan and usage that I require, I would agree with you. I also need a phone to last me at least 24 hours on a single charge with moderate use, and my Galaxy S3 has already passed the test. I am not sure if the iPhone would actually qualify. One of the students on my rotation has the iPhone 5 and claims that her phone does not even last close to the typical 12 hour day, and she says that she hardly uses it beyond the necessities. I suggested that she have it replaced because that does not sound right to me.
I guess you are more new breed and I am old school. I talk a lot to government buildings and I always run over 1000 minutes a month daytime use. I don't hardly text at all. I think that makes a huge difference. I am not fond of candy bar phones because you can make calls and talk without knowing it..

It does sound like you have a good setup. I carry the I880 but with leo taking the iden freqs next year I have to change. So I may see what Sprint will do as I have multiple lines. But I don't want to pay more for Sprint just because they want more money.

81.00 a month for all of what you describe is not bad. I did talk to the ATT reps today and they admitted that Sprint was the only real "unlimited" plan. I could not believe them telling me the truth.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:44   #20
JuneyBooney

I am looking at getting the HTC Evo. Any of you guys have any opinions on that phone?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:37   #21
sputnik767

Quote:
I am looking at getting the HTC Evo. Any of you guys have any opinions on that phone?
I had that phone, and my sister currently has it. It is a very good phone, with some notable drawbacks. One, it is a 3 year old phone, so it's 3 year old tech. That means it is much slower than current phones. Also, it is known for poor battery life, and I can confirm. It will not last you all day with moderate use. Lastly, it's 4G is Wimax, which is a dead technology and is being replaced by LTE. Sprint will still support it for a while, but sooner rather than later it will be switched off. I give it maybe 2-3 years tops. I would say that there are much better phones out there nowadays, for not too much money. If you can, look into the Samsung Galaxy S2. I have to say that after using an HTC phone, 2 samsung phones, and an Asus tablet, I will only buy Samsung products from now on. They are the Apple of the Android world.