Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2012, 14:31   #1
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Has it been a year already?

Like him or not he was one of those unique people who truly changed the world. Tribute to Steve on the anniversary of his death.

http://www.apple.com/

I once sent an email complaint to every possible steve jobs email address I could think of when apple's homepage featured a tribute to Algore for winning the Nobel prize. Steve actually responded about 30 minutes later on a Sunday, "It isn't political Certified. Al just won a Nobel Prize!"

I wish I could find it.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 15:01   #2
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

I recognize Jobs brilliance at understanding what people would buy.. in large part because of brilliant marketing that convinced people they needed what he was selling.

I disliked his business practices. The guy got his start swiping other peoples work and ideas and refined them. only ultimately to become the biggest monopolist of them all. He became very much what he criticized IBM for being.

Last edited by Dragoon44; 10-07-2012 at 15:01..
Dragoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 16:30   #3
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

He was a master presenter. One of the best out there.
Old 10-07-2012, 16:33   #4
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

He was a showman par excellent, and apple presentations will never be the same without him.
Old 10-07-2012, 16:55   #5
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

If you go back and watch he improved dramatically over the years. It was clearly something he took very seriously and worked at.
Old 10-07-2012, 16:58   #6
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

From a business leadership perspective he was the rarest of talents. He was the founder, the big picture designer, master salesman and positioned them for long term growth. Few men can do all those and do them well.
Old 10-07-2012, 17:02   #7
Resqu2

It's kinda neat that most of the world learned of his death by using all the great gadgets that he had a hand in bringing to the world. Just hope that Apple can continue being the leader they are today.
Resqu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 17:15   #8
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

And turn around artist
Old 10-07-2012, 17:31   #9
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post

I disliked his business practices. The guy got his start swiping other peoples work and ideas and refined them. only ultimately to become the biggest monopolist of them all. He became very much what he criticized IBM for being.
Um, no that's Bill Gates!
Old 10-07-2012, 17:35   #10
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resqu2 View Post
It's kinda neat that most of the world learned of his death by using all the great gadgets that he had a hand in bringing to the world. Just hope that Apple can continue being the leader they are today.
I thought it was a rumour, started right here on GT, which i was surfing on my 17" MacbookPro.

Someone said, no, go to Apple.com.

I was stunned. Black screen with black and white photo, just said, Steve Jobs, 1955-2011

At apple.com. No rumor, it was real. I felt really bad for them, the people at apple. No bright shiny pics of their wares, doing business as usual. Everything just stopped for him.

NExt day, people were putting candles in front of apple stores.

Heard about, read about it, validated it right here on one of his machines. Not TV or radio.
Old 10-07-2012, 17:45   #11
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resqu2 View Post
Jobs was a salesman. Apple's salesman. It's not that Apple is really all that revolutionary today compared to what else is out there, they (he) just knew how to sell it.

I don't, and never had any Apple shares, but everyone I worked with back in the early 90's in the IT field that did...dumped their shares either when Jobs was diagnosed, or after he punched out...because they knew what was to come.

Apple shares are down, iPhone 5 sales are dismal (Apple admitted this) and their products are just simply built worse than they used to be.

Last edited by tantrix; 10-07-2012 at 17:49..
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 17:58   #12
GVFlyer

I use Apple products and hold their stock; I like Apple as a corporate entity and I liked Apple's Steve Jobs.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 18:07   #13
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Um, no that's Bill Gates!
Um No, that was apple that swiped the stuff from Xerox, then Gates swiped it from apple.

There is just no honor among thieves.

Old 10-07-2012, 18:15   #14
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
Um No, that was apple that swiped the stuff from Xerox, then Gates swiped it from apple.

There is just no honor among thieves.

iirc, they both worked at xerox and invented it jointly. they were on the same team or something like that. they both have claim to it.
Old 10-07-2012, 18:19   #15
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
Apple shares are down, iPhone 5 sales are dismal (Apple admitted this) and their products are just simply built worse than they used to be.
Apple shares are near their all time high, close to 700 and STILL have a P/E ratio of around 17.

They sold out the first 5 million phones. Its not as fast as they expected, but still ahead of the last model.

I'm working on an 11" Macbook Air thats 3 months old and its one of the best machines i ve ever owned.

The only problem they've had lately was the Maps feature. They owned up to it and committed to a fix and i believe them.
Old 10-07-2012, 18:28   #16
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Apple shares are near their all time high, close to 700 and STILL have a P/E ratio of around 17.

They sold out the first 5 million phones. Its not as fast as they expected, but still ahead of the last model.

I'm working on an 11" Macbook Air thats 3 months old and its one of the best machines i ve ever owned.

The only problem they've had lately was the Maps feature. They owned up to it and committed to a fix and i believe them.
Shares are down due to Samsung, and Apple wasn't even able to supply the demand for the iPhone 5 so sales are down below the projected mark. And as far as the new Macbooks...unless you worked on any older Apples, you wouldn't see how the current internal design is completely idiotic.
Old 10-07-2012, 18:43   #17
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Jobs was a salesman. Apple's salesman. It's not that Apple is really all that revolutionary today compared to what else is out there, they (he) just knew how to sell it.

I don't, and never had any Apple shares, but everyone I worked with back in the early 90's in the IT field that did...dumped their shares either when Jobs was diagnosed, or after he punched out...because they knew what was to come.

Apple stock hot an all time high, iphone 5 sold more phones than any other product launch ever, and everyone says the macbook pro retina is the best computer they've ever used.
Old 10-07-2012, 20:39   #18
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Shares are down due to Samsung, and Apple wasn't even able to supply the demand for the iPhone 5 so sales are down below the projected mark. And as far as the new Macbooks...unless you worked on any older Apples, you wouldn't see how the current internal design is completely idiotic.
Apple's current laptop lineup is the best anywhere. That isn't even honestly debatable. The MBP15 Retina is arguably the finest laptop ever made.

The only criticism anyone ever offers about them is that they're a bit pricier than the junk everyone else turns out.

Apple's sales are below projections because they can't meet demand? Seriously Tantrix? I'm still waiting and mine isn't due in for another 2 weeks. I ordered the 3rd day after launch.
Old 10-07-2012, 20:41   #19
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

wow, didn't realize it'd been a year already.
Old 10-07-2012, 21:51   #20
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Shares are down due to Samsung,
They're not down at all. They fluctuate day to day and can be back over the high in a session or two.

Quote:
and Apple wasn't even able to supply the demand for the iPhone 5 so sales are down below the projected mark. .
But not below the record. Only because they can't keep up with how popular they are!

Quote:
And as far as the new Macbooks...unless you worked on any older Apples, you wouldn't see how the current internal design is completely idiotic.
WTF does this even mean? The internal design? I work outside the thing, dont care what the transistors are up to! I bought the newer ones because they got better over time, my 17" is a Caddillac and the Air Im typing on is somewhere near genius.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:21   #21
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

Quote:

really? Being as they're all sold out?

So every product they've made is sold and that's a dismal result? Damn, I need to retake business.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:35   #22
mike g35
RACEGUN SHOOTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
really? Being as they're all sold out?

So every product they've made is sold and that's a dismal result? Damn, I need to retake business.
As I read this thread via my ohub-campfire app on my iPhone 4S I realize for obvious reasons just how much of a game changer Jobs was. Sadly there aren't alot of folks with his talents available to help America grow in a positive direction economically. He, no matter what you're opinion of him, was a great American businessman.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
mike g35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:48   #23
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
They're not down at all. They fluctuate day to day and can be back over the high in a session or two.

But not below the record. Only because they can't keep up with how popular they are!

WTF does this even mean? The internal design? I work outside the thing, dont care what the transistors are up to! I bought the newer ones because they got better over time, my 17" is a Caddillac and the Air Im typing on is somewhere near genius.

A 3 second Google search.

Quote:
Apple shares fell more than 1.3% by early afternoon, on the first anniversary of the death of its revered late founder and Chief Executive Steve Jobs on Friday.

There are several factors driving the slide.

One is the upbeat forecast from arch-rival Samsung Electronics, which said it expects record third-quarter profits despite suffering a legal blow in its ongoing patent-related disputes with Apple. In a note, J.P. Morgan analyst JJ Park cited the Korean electronics giant’s “blowout” preliminary results and estimated that Samsung will ship 20 million units of its Galaxy S3 smartphone – which the company launched over the summer designed as the main rival to Apple’s iPhone 5, which went on sale on Sept. 21. Park also said Samsung could also get a boost from the large-screen Galaxy Note 2 smartphone in the fourth quarter, and could see “an emerging opportunity” in tablets.

Trip Chowdhry of Global Equities Research also reaffirmed an earlier view that Apple’s patent victory in August may have given Samsung a lift, as consumers rushed to buy the company’s Galaxy S3, giving that handset an additional boost.

Quote:
Apple’s iPhone 5 offensive may be facing some minor challenges – some of which may be limited supply. In a note late Thursday, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster cut his estimates for iPhone sales for September to 25 million, down from 27.2 million, citing a “slightly slower than expected iPhone 5 launch due to supply constraints.”

The Apple worship is funny, but honestly I don't care what people do one way or another. Apple's to the point where they're damn near just changing the names on stuff instead of really innovating.

And with that said...

The Okie Corral

Last edited by tantrix; 10-08-2012 at 05:48..
Old 10-08-2012, 08:16   #24
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
A 3 second Google search.
Wow, a whole 1.3 %? Again, sounds like a daily fluctuation to me.

Quote:
The Apple worship is funny, but honestly I don't care what people do one way or another.
Apparently, you do!

No worshipper here, but I do buy what works. Their notebooks do it for me, phone I'm a BB user and havent decided whether replacement time is an S3 or a IP5.

Sharp has apparently picked up the slack in the supply chain, so phones will be plentiful shortly.