Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-06-2012, 13:46   #1
ronduke

Prescription for Addiction

Jaclyn Kinkade, a 23-year-old doctor's-office receptionist and occasional model, was a casualty of America's No. 1 drug menace when she overdosed and died, alone, in a tumbledown clapboard house in Dunnellon, Fla......
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000..._WSJ_US_News_3
ronduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 14:17   #2
blueiron
Clown move, bro

"Jackie didn't wake up one day and say, "Hey, I'm going to be a drug addict today," her stepmother said."

Yet, that's what she was. Plenty of people live with chronic and serious pain every day. They seem to manage their prescription narcotic use well and others use other forms of treatment. Some people have discomfort and they simply don't want to deal with it.

Every choice has consequences.

Bastard! - TBO
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 14:25   #3
indigent
Bamboozled

Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes.......
Old 10-07-2012, 13:22   #4
scottydl

Not saying it's not an important story, but why published now when she died 2.5 years ago? (I don't really need an answer) It sounds like her "boyfriend" was the biggest enabler, if you want to blame anyone except herself.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 13:40   #5
TXCOPPER

Isn't methadone also used to help an addict get off of whatever they're on? Sounds like she was already an addict before the prescriptions were the culprit, especially if 'small amounts' of methamphetamine was in her system as well.

Shouldn't we all take some responsibility for our actions? Honestly, no one is jamming the Big Macs, or cokes, or cigarettes, or drugs, or whatever addictive problem we have down our throats. I get the family is upset, but the girl is to blame as well.

Rant over

outdoor information engine

Last edited by TXCOPPER; 10-07-2012 at 13:44..
TXCOPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:39   #6
scottydl

Methadone is a "coping" drug for heroin addicts, but the problem is that methadone ends up being just as addictive. Maybe in a different way (I don't know all the physiological explanations) but the point is, you end up with addicts that just get addicted to a prescription instead of heroin.

The article is misleading when it suggests that prescription drug enforcement is being ignored. I worked tons of pill cases when I was in narcotics. There's a black market for them just like everything else.
Old 10-07-2012, 14:44   #7
Adjuster

I myself don't seem to have an addictive prone type personality or body type or whatever you want to call it. I do have personal friends and family that are addicted to the prescription pills and alcohol. It is a weird thing to witness how they go about their day to day lives. Complete denial and their little scams to score money or pills and they don't appear to realize anything is wrong.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 15:46   #8
m2hmghb

Things like this piss me off. Not only do these idiots hurt or kill themselves they also damage the lives of people who are in pain and need the meds to live a life with some semblance of quality and normalcy. To me an OD is just another method of suicide.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 15:53   #9
scottydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
To me an OD is just another method of suicide.
True, and the only ones hurt are the ones left behind. The addict could care less, especially if they end up dead.
Old 10-07-2012, 16:24   #10
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydl View Post
Methadone is a "coping" drug for heroin addicts, but the problem is that methadone ends up being just as addictive. Maybe in a different way (I don't know all the physiological explanations) but the point is, you end up with addicts that just get addicted to a prescription instead of heroin.

The article is misleading when it suggests that prescription drug enforcement is being ignored. I worked tons of pill cases when I was in narcotics. There's a black market for them just like everything else.
In my area residential burglars always raid the medicine cabinet.

Speed, benzos and narcotic pain relievers are more common than cocaine and heroin.

Last edited by collim1; 10-07-2012 at 16:25..
collim1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 19:56   #11
x_out86

Quote:
'Jackie didn't wake up one day and say, "Hey, I'm going to be a drug addict today," ' her stepmother said.
No your right....it probably took a while of using and liking it that sent her from this:

Cop Talk

To this:

Cop Talk

Just sayin and being realistic
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.
x_out86 is online now   Reply With Quote